Teardown Pictures & Hardware Cam Button fix

Search This thread

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010
So I performed pretty much a full teardown. I left the screen in the front of the case, because I didn't really see a point in taking it off.

I had an Otterbox Defender before, but I took it back to Best Buy and picked up the Platinum Surface Case (Blue), so that is in one of the pictures. Everything else is stock.

Anyway, on with the information!

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Camera button is loose! I found out why! The metal bar that runs below the button and the switch is only held in place with two screws that are on the far ends of the button and switch.
When you press down, the button actually bends the bar slightly before pressing fully. When I pressed the button in, it would feel like there were two clicks. Apparently the first click was just the metal button pressing down and touching the actual button (on the chip), and the second click was the actual button press.
I implemented the most ghetto fix ever for this (insert your jokes here). I literally took two thin cuts of packaging cardboard (from a super-glue box), and taped them together. They were about 1/16" thick each, so total it ended up just over 1/8" thick. Then it just rests in-between the metal beam, and the back plate for the phone (the piece the battery rests in). I was thinking of soldering something on, but then it would be a permanent change to the phone, which I didn't want.
The button on my phone is now rock-solid, and doesn't move at all unless pressed in. It now feels solid to the touch, and the only press that happens is the actual camera press. It feels much better now with this, but it makes me laugh to think of how I fixed it.

Chips on the board(s), in order of location. Each / represents a new line on the chips.
*Note: Not all chips are clearly labeled or easily identified.

Back of board - Facing up when looking at the phone face down

Top left chip (small chip):
AVAG0 / AFEM-S257 / P1121 / 60HG

Left chip (big chip middle left):
Samsung 119 / KMKLL[Can't make out letters here because of gold blob]UM-B406 / FDCA009B

Right bottom chip:
TPS / 65051 / TI 141 / A1D0

Right top chip:
ATMEL / MXT224 / C12QS509 / f2X774.1E

Front of board - Facing down when looking at the phone face down
*Note - The layout of the chips will be reversed if the board is still facing down. The layout is when the board is flipped over so you can actually see it.

Left chip:
PMM8160 / A10025.1 / F7117001

Top right chip:
SEQUANS / Communications / SQN1210 / PAN279.00.S 1 / 1121 / SGP
Also on this chip there is a circle with "e1" in it, and a rectangle with "G" in it.

Bottom right chip:
QUALCOMM / MSM8660 / BAU215.0 / C1119101

I believe the chip for the wifi is on the bottom of the phone? I could be wrong, might be GPS.

Front:
50H00649-32M-A / 2011/03/23

Back:
UT0020 C / 94V-0 / 1118

Chips attached to dual cameras

Small chip furthest away from cams:
6U7476 / 1091

Middle chip (biggest one):
1110 3M / SHARP / LR388G92 / JAPAN

Sticker in-between cams:
S100HA / 43035

Front LED and Front Camera chips

Small chip near camera:
168E6P / 1980

Big chip on side:
50H20371-51M-A 12 / 03/24/2011

I have no idea if this information will help anyone with anything, but there it is. I tried to include as much detail as possible when I was looking at the chips and information on the boards.

Unmodified Pictures (Hosted on 4shared) all here: http://www.4shared.com/folder/2Ya7fS9_/FullPics.html
*Warning - Photos are not even shrunk in size. They are big pictures! 4608x3456

Modified Pictures (Hosted on 4shared) all here: http://www.4shared.com/folder/a8ndxVF0/ModifiedPics.html
*Note that these are all the pictures that are shown

Sorry about the images being hosted like this. I can only upload 8 pictures for attachments. I figured this would be the easiest method.
You can see them in a bigger size by clicking the picture you want to see.

These are out of order. They are in alphabetical order, not teardown order. Only one out of alphabetical order is the first one.

Last edited:

nate420

Feb 19, 2011
eau claire,wisconsin
Lol I like how you point out Samsung hardware is in the 3d. :b good job. Now put it back together just how you got it! Or I'm telling mom

sent from my beasto 3d

sling

Aug 7, 2007
Va Beach / Hatteras NC
Great pics thanks for posting them.
I get were your coming from on pad out but a little taken off on directions.

hmm I will hold tight for breakdown video that will show different angles of project.

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010

hmm I will hold tight for breakdown video that will show different angles of project.

It is about the easiest thing ever.

It is literally like this:

Camera button
Metal bar
Little ghetto fix
Back piece plastic

There is nothing in-between, and nothing holding it there other than the pressure of the case squeezing it. I didn't want to permanently modify the case. It's just a two pieces of packing cardboard taped together, but anything could be used.

It sits behind where the button is pressed, so it couldn't possibly interfere with the button, and it sits under the back plate of the phone, so it can be taken out if you just pop the back plate off.

Reactions: sling

sling

Aug 7, 2007
Va Beach / Hatteras NC

Camera button
Metal bar
Little ghetto fix
Back piece plastic

There is nothing in-between, and nothing holding it there other than the pressure of the case squeezing it. I didn't want to permanently modify the case. It's just a two pieces of packing cardboard taped together, but anything could be used.

It sits behind where the button is pressed, so it couldn't possibly interfere with the button, and it sits under the back plate of the phone, so it can be taken out if you just pop the back plate off.
ha ok I see were your coming from in pic.
Was the back cover tricky difficult to detach?

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010

Take the back cover off, battery out, SD card out.
Size T5 Torx screwdriver for the 4 corner screws, 2 NO:000 phillips-head screws for the middle two.
Then take a credit card and run it around the corners, and they just pop loose.
You shouldn't have to apply any force to remove it.

To do it though, you do have to break the little "security seal" that's on the bottom right torx screw. They put it there so they can tell if someone has opened up their phone.

Reactions: sling

sling

Aug 7, 2007
Va Beach / Hatteras NC
Size T5 Torx screwdriver for the 4 corner screws, 2 NO:000 phillips-head screws for the middle two.

To do it though, you do have to break the little "security seal" that's on the bottom right torx screw. They put it there so they can tell if someone has opened up their phone.
Right on thanks much.
Ive owned mine for 2 days & have 7 day disassemble rule so next week I will get it done.

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
I was under the impression there was supposed to be 2 clicks with the camera button anyway. the first click focus's the camera and the second takes the photo.
Am I missing something?

btw, wish you would of looked a lil more at the 3d-2d switch and seen the reasoning for its loose play front to back. The thing is tight switching from top to bottom(3d->2D) but has lotta play front to back it seems.

sweet pics though, thanks for the tear down!

Lintrix

Apr 23, 2011
I'm pretty sure that the two click system was intentional...

First click is focus, second is take photo.

wardfan220

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2010
Eldridge, IA

I was under the impression there was supposed to be 2 clicks with the camera button anyway. the first click focus's the camera and the second takes the photo.
Am I missing something?

btw, wish you would of looked a lil more at the 3d-2d switch and seen the reasoning for its loose play front to back. The thing is tight switching from top to bottom(3d->2D) but has lotta play front to back it seems.

sweet pics though, thanks for the tear down!

You 2 are correct, that 2 click system is there for a reason. One to focus and the 2nd to actually take the picture, much like all digital cameras.

Nice pics of the disassemble btw.

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010

Might be that way, but I feel like it's much more responsive now. Before it would be wobbly and take a few presses before it would actually work, or I'd have to hold the button for a bit. Now the button is much snappier.

The switch isn't loose at all now, it requires a bit of force to move the switch either way. There is a clear click sound whenever it gets pressed either way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I performed pretty much a full teardown. I left the screen in the front of the case, because I didn't really see a point in taking it off.

I had an Otterbox Defender before, but I took it back to Best Buy and picked up the Platinum Surface Case (Blue), so that is in one of the pictures. Everything else is stock.

Anyway, on with the information!

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Camera button is loose! I found out why! The metal bar that runs below the button and the switch is only held in place with two screws that are on the far ends of the button and switch.
    When you press down, the button actually bends the bar slightly before pressing fully. When I pressed the button in, it would feel like there were two clicks. Apparently the first click was just the metal button pressing down and touching the actual button (on the chip), and the second click was the actual button press.
    I implemented the most ghetto fix ever for this (insert your jokes here). I literally took two thin cuts of packaging cardboard (from a super-glue box), and taped them together. They were about 1/16" thick each, so total it ended up just over 1/8" thick. Then it just rests in-between the metal beam, and the back plate for the phone (the piece the battery rests in). I was thinking of soldering something on, but then it would be a permanent change to the phone, which I didn't want.
    The button on my phone is now rock-solid, and doesn't move at all unless pressed in. It now feels solid to the touch, and the only press that happens is the actual camera press. It feels much better now with this, but it makes me laugh to think of how I fixed it.

Chips on the board(s), in order of location. Each / represents a new line on the chips.
    *Note: Not all chips are clearly labeled or easily identified.

Back of board - Facing up when looking at the phone face down

Top left chip (small chip):
    AVAG0 / AFEM-S257 / P1121 / 60HG

Left chip (big chip middle left):
    Samsung 119 / KMKLL[Can't make out letters here because of gold blob]UM-B406 / FDCA009B

Right bottom chip:
    TPS / 65051 / TI 141 / A1D0

Right top chip:
    ATMEL / MXT224 / C12QS509 / f2X774.1E

Front of board - Facing down when looking at the phone face down
    *Note - The layout of the chips will be reversed if the board is still facing down. The layout is when the board is flipped over so you can actually see it.

Left chip:
    PMM8160 / A10025.1 / F7117001

Top right chip:
    SEQUANS / Communications / SQN1210 / PAN279.00.S 1 / 1121 / SGP
    Also on this chip there is a circle with "e1" in it, and a rectangle with "G" in it.

Bottom right chip:
    QUALCOMM / MSM8660 / BAU215.0 / C1119101

I believe the chip for the wifi is on the bottom of the phone? I could be wrong, might be GPS.

Front:
    50H00649-32M-A / 2011/03/23

Back:
    UT0020 C / 94V-0 / 1118

Chips attached to dual cameras

Small chip furthest away from cams:
    6U7476 / 1091

Middle chip (biggest one):
    1110 3M / SHARP / LR388G92 / JAPAN

Sticker in-between cams:
    S100HA / 43035

Front LED and Front Camera chips

Small chip near camera:
    168E6P / 1980

Big chip on side:
    50H20371-51M-A 12 / 03/24/2011

I have no idea if this information will help anyone with anything, but there it is. I tried to include as much detail as possible when I was looking at the chips and information on the boards.

Unmodified Pictures (Hosted on 4shared) all here: http://www.4shared.com/folder/2Ya7fS9_/FullPics.html
    *Warning - Photos are not even shrunk in size. They are big pictures! 4608x3456

Modified Pictures (Hosted on 4shared) all here: http://www.4shared.com/folder/a8ndxVF0/ModifiedPics.html
    *Note that these are all the pictures that are shown

Sorry about the images being hosted like this. I can only upload 8 pictures for attachments. I figured this would be the easiest method.
    You can see them in a bigger size by clicking the picture you want to see.

These are out of order. They are in alphabetical order, not teardown order. Only one out of alphabetical order is the first one.

Camera button
    Metal bar
    Little ghetto fix
    Back piece plastic