• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Tell Samsung yourself that GPS is worthless - www.galaxyshelp.com

Search This thread

ultra spikey

Jul 5, 2006
Samsung just released their official help site for the Galaxy S. I just finished a chat session with tech support concerning the GPS issues. Basically, he said they are aware of it and the engineers are working on it. If enough of us report the issue, I'm sure they will feel the pressure to release a fix to us ASAP.

You dont need to register, when it ask you if you have registered you phone, just hit "yes". Then it will bring you to ways you can contact them.

Last edited:

bweed83

Jul 23, 2010
Im on the phone with a tmobile customer care person right now they also said the gps issue is something that they are aware of and they are working on a fix.

caldjeff

Jul 23, 2010
I tried to get to the galaxyhelp site, but couldn't get past registration. Anyone else have trouble getting it to accept the serial number? I opened the phone and took it right of the sticker, but it kept saying invalid serial number.

ultra spikey

Jul 5, 2006
You dont need to register, when it ask you if you have registered you phone, just hit "yes". Then it will bring you to ways you can contact them. Using Chat, I was connected to a rep in less than a minute.

Arr MiHardies

Jul 18, 2010
Las Vegas
If samsung's mobile division is anything like its home electronics division, I wouldn't gold my breath on that fix coming from them. It took 9 months and a class action lawsuit to make them update the firmware in my bluray player just so it could play titles protected with bd+.

They make great products, but their support is non existant. I'm surprised they are even acknowledging the issue. They never acknowledged an issue with my player, always saying they haven't heard of the issue before, despite my telling them personally on no less than a dozen separate calls. Forums were filed with identical stories from hundreds of people at the time.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

boomerbubba

Jul 20, 2010
If samsung's mobile division is anything like its home electronics division, I wouldn't gold my breath on that fix coming from them. It took 9 months and a class action lawsuit to make them update the firmware in my bluray player just so it could play titles protected with bd+.

They make great products, but their support is non existant. I'm surprised they are even acknowledging the issue. They never acknowledged an issue with my player, always saying they haven't heard of the issue before, despite my telling them personally on no less than a dozen separate calls. Forums were filed with identical stories from hundreds of people at the time.

Actually, Samsung has not publicly acknowledged the GPS flaw, although there are anecdotal reports in forums that individual tech support employes have acknowledged it in private contacts. On the record, Samsung is stonewalling this one.

What worries me about keeping a GPS-defective Vibrant past T-Mobile's 14-day return window is that the fallback protection is Samsung's own warranty. I don't understand the warranty-claim procedure in such a case. Would the customer continue to work through T-Mobile to file a warranty claim to Samsung, or would the customer have to deal with Samsung directly?

Blah man

Jul 23, 2010
I believe in the case of the warranty you would have to deal with tmobile, however you'll be receiving a refurbished handset and there is still no guarantee if that will resolve the issue or add to it

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

mayart

Nov 2, 2008
what compass

Sorry for the noob question, but what compass are you talking about. Is this a compass software that shows the north and south that you can download off marketplace, or is it a totally different thing you're talking about

XfooYen

Mar 29, 2010
Lost Angeles
@mayart,
We're talking about the phone's internal electronic compass which allows us to use programs that rely on it. A simple compass app from the marketplace would be one example but there are many apps which are dependant on accurate compass info ie. sky map, layar, google maps.

Sent from my Vibrant using XDA app facing north...no, wait. southwest.

Jon C

Jul 17, 2010
Seattle
I just called the Galaxy S support line, knowing that it was a terrible idea...

The level 1 (useless) CSR I spoke to did nothing but confuse me. I mentioned the GPS problem, and stated that I had spoken to another rep, previously. The other rep informed me that an OTA was in the works, but that there was no ETA on it. So, I simply asked if there were any updates on that OTA.

The level 1 tech then informed me that "all software issues are up to the provider". I made things as crystal clear as I possibly could:

Me: "So, you're telling me: T-Mobile is responsible for updating and maintaining the Operating System? You're telling me that T-Mobile is responsible for fixing issues with the phone, and is required to maintain the code for Android 2.2 when it comes along?"

CSR: "All software on the device is the responsibility of the carrier. We are only responsible for hardware, and the GPS issue is software."

Me: "So, how is it T-Mobile's fault? Isn't it up to Samsung USA to fix the software problems?"

CSR: "No! Like I said, the software is up to the provider!"

ME: "I don't think you understand what that means. Samsung USA provides TouchWiz and the Android OS build for the device. T-Mobile can request carrier-specific applications or tweaks, but ultimately, Samsung maintains the code."

CSR: "Um, it's...ummm...No! The software is the responsibility of your carrier! Please contact your carrier for any issues you are experiencing with the software!"

Me: "...."

CSR: "Hello?"

Me: "*laugh* This doesn't make any sense...it just...wow..."

CSR: "...."

*at least a solid minute of silence*

CSR: "Do you have any other questions?"

Me: "My only question is: I was told that the GPS issues would be fixed by Samsung, by another rep, but that there was no ETA on that fix. Now, you're telling me that T-Mobile is responsible for fixing your device. I don't see how this makes any sense. You said the GPS is a software issue, and that all software issues are the responsibility of T-Mobile. I don't understand how that is true, and I don't believe it to be true."

CSR: "Okay, well, let me...see...umm...what's...about the GPS...it's...ummm..."

CSR: "Okay, so, I'm going to put you on hold, while I look up the information about the GPS, is that okay?"

Me: "I guess..." (expecting to be hung up on)

*three minutes of speakerphone elevator hold music*

CSR: "So, the software is all handled by the individual carrier. Okay? And, the GPS is something that your individual carrier would have to fix. We only handle the hardware."

Me: "But that doesn't make sense! Samsung USA manufactures the device, do they not?"

CSR: "Yes."

Me: "Okay, so, they also provide TouchWiz, do they not?"

CSR: "Yes, TouchWiz is something that is provided by us, here."

Me: "TouchWiz is a skin for Android OS. Samsung altered Android to support TouchWiz. T-Mobile has nothing to do with the software implementation."

CSR: "Okay...umm...please....ummmm..."

CSR: "I'm going to transfer you to a level 3 tech. So please stay on the line while I connect you, okay?"

Me: "Sure." (knowing that she will probably just hang up)

*hung up on*

Brilliant, Samsung.

elkavayo

Nov 15, 2007
Miami
I went to Samsung support site for the Galaxy S and had a "live chat" session with a technician. I complained about the following:

GPS:
  • Does not lock to any GPS Satellite
  • Accuacy: 100 ft
  • Speed: Varies widely. Even shows speed of 1, 2 and up to 6 mph when the phone is standing still.
  • Takes a long time to get a fix, and sometimes does not get a fix.
  • UTC time (and thus local time) is incorrect (7 hours ahead)
  • Phone slows down when GPS is in use (UI becomes noticeable sluggish)
  • Applications such as Google Maps, Tracks and web browser display "location unavailable" or inaccurate location.
Compass:
  • Does not work (does not know where the magnetic north is)

He told me to check off "Use Wireless networks" in Location and Security". I told him that it did not make much of a difference in fixing the issue list above. His answer?

"The problem is then the network because the GPS is using T-Mobile Satellites"

To which I replied: "That's not my understanding of how GPS work. GPS is funded and maintained by the US federal government, not T-Mobile or any network".

I then called 1-877-EZ2GALAXY (1-877-392-4252) and opened a suport ticket with Support Level 3 which confirmed they were aware of a widespread issue with Galaxy GPS (they claimed the compass is "linked" to the GPS, bt did not acknowledge any specific issue with the compass)

Then I asked the rep is the issue was with all Vibrant, or just a specific batch. She said she could not answer that question as it is difficult for her to know if it's a batch, a series or all, but that the problem is known and an update is being tested.

The rep. said that they are working on a fix but the support team is typically not aware of release dates, so she couldn't tell me, but she assured me it was not a hardware issue, and a software fix was on the way.

I know there's no much information in what I said. I just wanted to share the story with you.

Jon C

Jul 17, 2010
Seattle
Yeah, that's about what I figured out from my Level 3 tech as well.

And a future word of warning to anyone tempted to try: don't bother with the live chat. It's simply a script, assisted by someone in India. You won't solve anything with that thing.

Level 3 techs are pretty helpful, but it can be annoying, having to punch through the idiotic level 1 techs to reach them. Your best bet is to just request a transfer to level 3 for a very technical question.

rsfaze

Jan 14, 2007
Orlando, Fl
my gps works fine on my Vibrant.. what is all this ranting about?

also if level 3 techs are the only ones worth talking to.. I would suggest getting their number so you can bypass the lower levels for an update if needed :)

Last edited:

candre23

Jul 20, 2010
Those who are having GPS issues - have you tried the GPS fix posted over a week ago? Yes, it would be nice for Sammy to own up and fix the problem themselves, but it's a lot faster to just fix it yourself.

Jon C

Jul 17, 2010
Seattle
The 'fix' doesn't work for everyone.

rsfaze: If yours works 'perfectly', would you mind posting more information from GPS Test (number of sats found v. those locked; accuracy; time), your phone's build date and so forth?

dex1701

Sep 29, 2007
The town of Chi
my gps works fine on my Vibrant.. what is all this ranting about?

also if level 3 techs are the only ones worth talking to.. I would suggest getting their number so you can bypass the lower levels for an update if needed :)

With some casual navigation using Google Navigation my GPS seems to be working perfectly. When I actually put it to the test by testing accuracy with Google Maps it was inconsistent and spotty at best. Using GPS Test tells the tale...this thing is heavily dependent on help from the cell network because the actual GPS receiver can barely lock onto one satellite, much less the 3+ that you actually need for even an acceptable level of accuracy. Take your phone somewhere that you don't get a cell signal and see how well it works.

From what I've seen so far the people claiming their GPS works perfectly are either not testing well enough or don't know what to look for. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but that's been my experience in other forums so far.

Also, the 'fix' that people keep talking about is just a crutch that allows the aGPS system to guestimate your location faster...it's not actually fixing the issue of weak/malfunctioning GPS receivers. It's a band-aid at best.

Also, the compass is borked. Several people have said theirs works, but as it turns out, most of theirs were either inconsistent or unacceptably slow as well.

Last edited: