Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Huawei P9

Search This thread

KrAzYtHeBoY

Feb 21, 2012
Im buy Nillkin Amazing H+ Pro from Amazon. 14 EURO.

The edges do not stick well as you can see they look a bit white, and when there is a white background (like google) the edges are seen of colorines when reflecting the light in the tempered glass

bKt8eNeh.jpg

827r8Wph.jpg

wnp_79

Apr 12, 2010
Nottingham
Looking increasingly unlikely this will be solved.

However, I recently re-checked Corning's website. When the phone launched and for at least three months after there was no confirmation that the P9 was fitted with Gorilla Glass. When I e-mailed and asked, Corning refused to confirm or deny, citing some NDA legality.

I just re-checked, and it is now showing as confirmed that Gorilla Glass 3 is fitted. Sorry if this has already been noticed. Search of the thread revealed nothing. When I get tired of the lifting up edges of my current protector, I am going to try running naked and see what happens.

https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/worldwide/en/products-with-gorilla/huawei/p9.html

spring80

Jul 11, 2009
please let me know once it is received. It will take around 1 and half month as per my previous experience.
i received from 1 week.totally fit, completely cover the arc of phone screen,easy to install,normal touch like u are work without it,too much clear.only one complaint i have,it will cover the huawei logo in the front.
highly recommended
http://s.aliexpress.com/mUBriQvQ
this the box for it

Attachments

• IMG_20161218_144712.jpg
    IMG_20161218_144712.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:

benjamen50

Dec 11, 2013
Melbourne
www.mtwo.com.au

ZentiX

Dec 7, 2008
Holmestrand
mobilbutikken.com
Hi there.
I'm like you guys, trying to find the best full coverage glass screen protector for my P9. I have testet two screen protector, one from Nillkin H+PRO and this one from Ultimate Shield protector film.
I would say that Nillkin H+PRO is one of the best out there, but the company is tricking you. It shows you a screen protector without a halo around the screen. Wich is aslo a false marketing. But it covers the screen, with a minor halo or a big one. This screen protector really needs to be placed in the center for the halo too be minor.
I did not like the halo around my protector, so I bought a new one.
Ultimate Shield is protector from hell, here you need to use soap water too apply the protector. As soon as you use your squeegee, this film will move if you do not hold it tight on the screen. Mine did move several times, making me give up on this one. This protector also covers the whole screen from corner to corner. This screen protector could really have some good potential if you would like to try this one and have the patient too apply it.

I'm now wating for this one, Nillkin Super Clear protector film. I can give you guys an update on this one, when I get it. But I think protector film is the best way to protect your screen.

As I can see it, P9 is not ment for tempered glass because of the screen is curving. This is huge bummer. P9 is a great phone, and deserves a really good qualtiy screen protector. But Nillkin as I see it, have the best protector that covers the whole screen, but with the problems where the adhesive is not sticking where the screen curves.
Those tempered glass protectors out on the market for the P9 is either too big or too small. Those curved protectors only have adhesive on the sides, and not on the screen area where it should be, how hard could it be too make a curved protector, with adhesive on the screen area and on the sides for the maximum protection. I could think of many ways this could be done. But there is none out there, not one I can think on at this moment.

Gabbbbbbb

Oct 7, 2014
Hi there.
I'm like you guys, trying to find the best full coverage glass screen protector for my P9. I have testet two screen protector, one from Nillkin H+PRO and this one from Ultimate Shield protector film.
I would say that Nillkin H+PRO is one of the best out there, but the company is tricking you. It shows you a screen protector without a halo around the screen. Wich is aslo a false marketing. But it covers the screen, with a minor halo or a big one. This screen protector really needs to be placed in the center for the halo too be minor.
I did not like the halo around my protector, so I bought a new one.
Ultimate Shield is protector from hell, here you need to use soap water too apply the protector. As soon as you use your squeegee, this film will move if you do not hold it tight on the screen. Mine did move several times, making me give up on this one. This protector also covers the whole screen from corner to corner. This screen protector could really have some good potential if you would like to try this one and have the patient too apply it.

I'm now wating for this one, Nillkin Super Clear protector film. I can give you guys an update on this one, when I get it. But I think protector film is the best way to protect your screen.

As I can see it, P9 is not ment for tempered glass because of the screen is curving. This is huge bummer. P9 is a great phone, and deserves a really good qualtiy screen protector. But Nillkin as I see it, have the best protector that covers the whole screen, but with the problems where the adhesive is not sticking where the screen curves.
Those tempered glass protectors out on the market for the P9 is either too big or too small. Those curved protectors only have adhesive on the sides, and not on the screen area where it should be, how hard could it be too make a curved protector, with adhesive on the screen area and on the sides for the maximum protection. I could think of many ways this could be done. But there is none out there, not one I can think on at this moment.

Curved protector cannot be done. Reason: 2.5d glass manufacturing is super inaccurate, there are no 2 phones with the exact same curving. Even the Yamaha DX7 is a better invention than 2.5d glass.

Last edited:

twe69

Dec 24, 2008
Just my moneys worth. The Ultimate Shield glass screen protector is unfortunately a dud. I get the rainbow effect in the middle of the screen. Got a replacement from Ultimate shield, which is great customer service, but the replacement does the exact same thing.

jibbbyy

Jul 1, 2016
UPDATE ON THE FLOSMALL SCREEN PROTECTOR

I dropped my phone flat on its face., from chestheight up (about 4-5 feet). I was using a Spigen case, so it has raised edges. Nontheless, I picked it up and went on. I noticed 10 minutes later there was a large crack down the side of the screen... I could not feel the crack with my fingers, it was below one of the layers. I was so sad, assuming this was on the glass of the phone because I couldn't feel the crack...

I peeled away the protector (was pretty difficult to pull off) and the entire protector shattered on the way off. A quick wipe of the debris and oh my god, the screen is perfect! no scratches, or anything! Not only did the protector keep my screen clean and scratch free, but it protected it from all harm of cracks!!!

I already had a backup FLOSMALL protector at home, so I installed it this morning. Better than ever, so clear, so much sensitivity, I highly recommend. Make sure you install it with a lot of time and a clean space!

Ok so I have now used the ebay full coverage one transparent (http://www.ebay.com/itm/36160309473...49&var=630964848781&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) and the flosmall one (https://flosmall.com/products/huawei-p9-flos-tempered-glass-screen-protector?variant=19656750086), and here is my conclusion:

They are both are good and imo worth buying.

The ebay one

PROS
-Good coverage
-Has material over the sensor and camera so dust cannot enter
-The camera is behind the material, meaning it could be smugged or foggy. This is a pro and a con because dust cannot enter because it is behind but this can make pictures not as good. Personally, my pictures came out fine and I did not notice this being a con
-Light sensor works as normal
-Adhesive is strong, but not so strong so you can still slide it if it becomes misaligned
-Adhesive is removable and replaceable: you can remove the protector and place it back with the same stickiness
-Good view through the glass
-No comment on durability (I have never dropped or scratched it)
-Not very reflective in the daylight, I like the view in bright sun
-Anti fingerprint: it is very easy to wipe clean, no scratches
-Fits my case perfectly (Spigen)
-I used it for 2-3 weeks now and I got used to all cons
CONS
-Had more difficult sensitivity around edges, specifically the bottom
-Adhesive is only along the outer edge
-The hole for the speaker has no adhesive near it, allowing a lot of dust to enter the underside of the screen. I put a small piece of tape there to block the dust. If you do not block this opening, I do NOT recommend this product. The dust enters very easily and looks terrible in the daylight

FLOSMALL

I will write pros and cons now, however I only installed this protector today so I will update my list here in a week

PROS
-Good coverage
-Has NO material over the sensor and camera, but it looks light there is adhesive around the holes so dust cannot enter
-Light sensor works as normal
-Adhesive is strong
-Adhesive covers the entirty of the cover, not only along the edges
-Good view through the glass
-No comment on durability (I have never dropped or scratched it)
-Anti fingerprint: it is very easy to wipe clean, no scratches
-Sensitivity is better than the ebay one Very big difference. I have 0 issues with sensitivity on this cover.
-Fits my case (Spigen)

CONS
-Has a stupid black part around the edges. It is deceiving if this is blocking pixels or not, but it looks OK to me
-A little more difficult to see in the sunlight, not a big deal to me imo
-Fingerprints seem to stay easier, but still clean easily with a wipe of your shirt
-I am not sure if no material over the sensor/camera is good or bad. I am sure after a week of use I will have an opinion about this.

HERE ARE MY FINAL NOTES PLEASE READ
My experience with the ebay cover and the flosmall are maybe not comparable, and here is why:
Instillation of the cover is very important. Making sure the phone is perfectly clean, no dust, no smugges, AND when you pull the plastic off of the adhesive of the cover that you immediately place it onto the phone. This will dramatically improve sensitivity. I got the ebay one a few weeks ago and in attempts to remove dust underneath the cover after instillation caused a decrease in sensitivity. I removed the cover and wiped the cover with alcohol. I have learned my lesson and after instillation of the Flosmall, the sensitivity feels like there is no protection at all. I have no idea how other reviewers in this thread are bashing the sensitivity. I am impressed. Just set aside a clean space, 20 minutes to properly apply the cover, dont rush it and don't mess it up by being stressed or paranoid. A good instillation can make a bad cover seem like the best.

I recommend the flosmall one. The fingerprints are the only real con and the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. The sensitivity is the biggest dealbreaker for me so I really like this screen protector.

Reactions: Umb0

Umb0

Feb 17, 2017
Milano
Hi,
I've read this thread post-by-post months ago. I still read the new posts in it from time to time. It's good to finally see a solid recommendation for a glass protector. Well done!

However, after my purchase (time ago) I had to pick something fast and there was no good glass in sight. In the end I chose a film protector, not a glass.
So here's my .02 € for those who think that they'd like a film.

The film from ScreenKnight is my recommendation.
http://www.screenknight.com/huawei-p9-screen-protector-military-shield/

It comes in 3 variants: Full-Body protection, Front protection, Back protection.
Pick the one you want by using the combo labeled: *Protector Type -- but of course I recommend the Front only. The rest of the phone is best shielded in a case, no?
This film protector has been mentioned already a few times (in the thread), but never properly praised for how good it is. Now, having used 2 of them myself I can talk from personal experience.
And before you ask: I'm at the 2nd film because the 1st one remained on my former P9, which got bricked and substituted wholly by the tech assistance. And so with the new P9 I had to buy another film protector. That is all.

The film from ScreenKnight is quite good. Barring the weird installation process, the product is worth every penny. Just as they say: after the installation, bubbles and/or mist may show up under the film. Let it be, it all disappears in a day or two. It's important that during this period you don't stress the film trying to make the bubbles go away by force. There's totally no need for that.

As for the interesting "self-healing" property of the film... modern day nano-materials are amazing and scary at the same time. The film really heals back from dents, bumps, and scratches.
Granted, it takes time. And I don't quite understand whether it's just time that it needs, or if it's aided by the warm coming from the smartphone during use. Whatever, the damage autonomously regress to the point of becoming nearly invisible. Or at least this has been my case when I hit the screen with a hard metallic object and the film protector got dented and bumped up (but not cut! It remained integer despite the shock it absorbed).
The bump was well visible and ugly, but instead of tearing the film away, I remembered of the self-healing behavior and decided to see if it was true. It took many days, but for real the bump did progressively flatten, becoming nearly invisible. A month later I found myself examining the screen surface to spot where the bump was. It wasn't easy, and I needed specular lighting in order to see it.
Regrettably I cannot tell whether the bump would have gone away completely, if given enough time, because I don't have that device anymore (the why is explained above).

So that's it, a film protector that won't cost you a fortune and it's every bit as good as they claim it to be.
The screen's clarity is superb, just as they say.
And the touch sensitivity is unhindered. If anything, I believe it's improved by the film, because the film's surface isn't as slippery as the bare glass underneath. This makes it easy for you to stay put with the finger when you don't mean to swipe or slide. Also, the film is not a fingerprint magnet, and what prints you manage to leave anyway are easily wiped off with the hand. If you think a film protector is your thing, give the ScreenKnight's a try.

And now a few tips for a painless installation process.
1) Be sure to watch the instruction video and do what they do. Don't stray, don't get creative -- unless I tell you to.

2) Take advantage of the P9's perfect flat structure. Put some adhesive on its back, and secure the device to the table. You will thank me later.

3) You don't need to clean the P9's glass with alcool or other products before application. If you prefer to do it anyway, I guess it's okay. But there's no need. Just make sure that there are no fingerprints and dust left.

4) The video doesn't tell, but is the water supposed to be cold? hot? mildly warm? I used warm water and it went smoothly. My guess is that the water's temperature is irrelevant.

5) Wash your hands with soap _before_ you even begin doing what's in the instruction video. The soap will remove the natural grease off your fingers and you won't leave fingerprints for a while. That said, you will still bathe your fingers in the water with the soap later (as shown in the video) to further ensure that you don't leave a single fingerprint.

6) This is silly, but you want to have a bit of nails on your fingers, otherwise once you bathe your fingers in the soapy water you become so slippery that you can't peel the film from its counterpart.

7) After you peeled the film, do generously bathe it in the soapy water. Yes, let it have a good bath. You'll surely wet the front side of the film as well. It's all according to plan, don't worry.

8) Don't get paranoid when you wipe off the excess water from the film. Just wipe it so it won't drop water all over the place. You don't need to make it dry, and don't worry if soap bubbles are everywhere on the surface. They are totally not a concern. Apply the film as-is.

9) The application of the film onto the P9's glass can be Easy or can be Hell. It depends on how you do it. The key-point is that once the screen is fully onto the glass, that soapy water is nowhere near as slippery as you imagined it to be, and if you need to make large adjustments now... mman! No, the trick here is to remember that it's a film which you can bend. Therefore: lay only _half_ of it onto the P9's glass, keeping the other half in the hand. The film will have very low grip allowing you to make the finest adjustments with ease. Once you are satisfied with the alignment, drop the other half slowly. Now the film doesn't slide as easily as before, but chances are you need only make very tiny adjustments.
Do you remember point 2), where I suggested to attach the P9 to the table with adhesive? Thanks to that, now you can use both hands to make adjustments quickly, instead of having to fight with a film that doesn't want to move over a device that's way too slippery for its own good. Have 10 seconds of patience and you can do a perfect job.

10) When you start pushing the soapy water away from the film (like in the video), don't apply too much force. Press down enough to bend that white card thingy (what's the name of it?), but be gentle.

11) Here's where you differ from the video. After you pushed the water away, DO NOT use the microfiber cloth to clean up/dry the film. You push too much -> you misalign the protector. The film has to be left alone to dry and get fixed to the screen, anyway. So why not wait the 5 hours like they say? You can clean it up safely afterwards.

12) The P9's glass is 2.5D -- Even if you perfectly align and center the film protector, its sides will remain slightly lifted. It's expected. Watch your clock, let 20 minutes pass, so those sides of the film can dry up a little, and then gently push them down on the glass. Use your thumb. Make several short movements going from the inside to the outside of the screen. Don't do the single movement that runs the length of the side (ie: from top to bottom) or it ends badly. For correct results it's important to wait the right amount of time. 20 minutes is fine: the sides of the film should stick to the glass at the first try. When they do, don't pass with the finger over them again. That is, don't stress the film unnecessarily while it's wet.

One last note :D
If after the film protector is dry (and you turn On the smartphone), you find that the touch sensitivity is strange... it's probably because your fingers are still without grease, because you washed them with soap -- remember? Go pet your dog or cat for a while, or find a source of human grease like someone's hair and touch it real good :)laugh:). You'll notice the difference.

You're welcome :)

twe69

Dec 24, 2008
I went with the 'Brotect' film screen protector after my failure with having a glass screen protector and I must say I am really happy with it. Doesn't cover the whole glass but no silly rainbow effect in the middle of the screen! Also got the matte version and it looks really nice. Was easy to apply and no air bubbles. It was a pack of 2 for £3.39 on eBay from Germany.

Nate91

Apr 17, 2012
I went with the 'Brotect' film screen protector after my failure with having a glass screen protector and I must say I am really happy with it. Doesn't cover the whole glass but no silly rainbow effect in the middle of the screen! Also got the matte version and it looks really nice. Was easy to apply and no air bubbles. It was a pack of 2 for £3.39 on eBay from Germany.

Hello. What's your thoughts? Durable? And, does it cover at least the illuminated LCD screen? Not from edge to edge of the phone, I do not mind that, but at least the visible screen. Thank you in advance!

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone