Tempered Glass Screen Protectors

Search This thread

weseason

Mar 26, 2014
JAPAN
Anyone who currently owns an LG G2 knows the frustration of not being able to use a Tempered glass screen protector.

(yes there are many on the market but none of them fit 100%)

This is due to the "2.5D" screen glass, with its curved edges.

A Flat piece of glass just simply does not fit over a curved one.

The Note 4 has this same type of screen with curved edges, as does the iPhone 6.

All the major players in tempered glass screen protectors have said they are looking into it.

Think anyone can figure out how to make a curved glass screen protector to fit?

I use glass4m protector for my note 4.
great protector and technology. just $12.99 and ship to anywhere :)

http://glass4m.com/product/glass-m-premium-tempered-glass-screen-protector-for-samsung-galaxy

e2f52285233c73aa14f1728e776b6954.jpg
ad7bb22cadf05860762494f535690eab.jpg

Melissakis

Aug 27, 2013
Thessaloniki
Today I remembered why we buy screen protectors.
One fall from 1.5m height on gravel and the result is on the photos. Luckily the screen is untouched. I always buy screen protectors in pair, the second serves as a backup., so no real harm done. I already ordered one more pair of the same, very satisfied.

Reactions: alexsoin

ithehappy

May 5, 2008
Calcutta
Google Pixel 2 XL
For a fall like that protective covers will do much good than protective screens, that one also got shattered maybe because it was of low quality, the actual screen might not even had a scratch.

All may might here anyway.

Melissakis

Aug 27, 2013
Thessaloniki
Not sure about that. The phone fell face down, the glass hit the gravel and the two dots you see are marks made buy the stones, I could actually remove pieces of stones off the glass. I don't want to know what would happen to the gorilla glass. Probably it wouldn't break like that, but on the other hand I wouldn't like the tiniest piece of mark on my device.

FAUguy

Mar 1, 2011
South FL
Here are a few pictures of the intelliArmor and Coolbo edge-to-edge screen protector.
As you can see, both glass protectors are identical. The only real difference is the packaging and what is included.
Also, the intelliArmor has a Lifetime Warranty, the Coolbo says nothing, no email or anything.
So for the $3 price difference, it'd be better to go with the intelliArmor.

I'm also including a picture of the iLoome Screenmate Light that broke on me last week just by using my thumb to get an air bubble out. I finally got reply back from iLoome asking for a picture, which I sent them today, and they are refunding the $25 back without me having to send it to them.

So I've been using the black intelliArmor glass screen protector I posted about since last October. So far I have had no issues with it at all. It has not cracked (despite a few drops) and no scratches. It also has not started to peel off, but I do have a case on the phone that fits over the edge of the screen protector. The only dislike is the microdot grid, but it really doesn't bother me any more, and I only see it in bright sunlight reflection.

woldranger

Apr 22, 2012
Having seen all the issues that people are having with the glass protectors for the Note 4 I'm wondering about trying out something more flexible - any suggestions for a screen protector (not one of the matt, anti-glare ones though) that's more likely to fit the Note 4 without lifting? I'm waiting on delivery of my Tech21 case but if the other ones I've used (had them on my S3 and Note 3) are anything to go by, there's little issues with fitting around a screen protector - so that's one thing I shouldn't have to worry about.

alexsoin

Jan 7, 2014
San Mateo, CA
One fall from 1.5m height on gravel and the result is on the photos. Luckily the screen is untouched. I always buy screen protectors in pair, the second serves as a backup., so no real harm done. I already ordered one more pair of the same, very satisfied.

I bought exact same protector and in black and silver from your ebay link like a month ago. Applied it basically w/o halo, barely visible half-millimeter line on the right side (doesn't bother me since it covers only black trim and not actual screen space). I think there's a possibility to put this edge-to-edge w/o halo at all but I'm not super handy person :) It looks a little tacky with silver bezels and I wish it was just completely black version of this one! BUT this protector doesn't have tiny dots grid like other edge-to-edge protectors have and it's a huge plus! It also has all the cutouts for buttons, cameras, sensors and everything works no prob. I also like not seeing Samsung logo on front panel something that Sammy designers might consider implement one day ;) There's been two relatively dangerous falls from about meter high or so on laminate flooring, both face down and not a single scratch on this protector. My Note 4 is in the tiniest/slimmest 1$ case from eBay which doesn't have elevated "lips" so protector is exposed to face down falls but holding strong so far :) Thanks for sharing your story and see my pix below!

Attachments

• 20160620_074006.jpg
    20160620_074006.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 293
  • 20160620_073952.jpg
    20160620_073952.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 291

borijess

Jul 30, 2010
I bought exact same protector and in black and silver from your ebay link like a month ago. Applied it basically w/o halo, barely visible half-millimeter line on the right side (doesn't bother me since it covers only black trim and not actual screen space). I think there's a possibility to put this edge-to-edge w/o halo at all but I'm not super handy person :) It looks a little tacky with silver bezels and I wish it was just completely black version of this one! BUT this protector doesn't have tiny dots grid like other edge-to-edge protectors have and it's a huge plus! It also has all the cutouts for buttons, cameras, sensors and everything works no prob. I also like not seeing Samsung logo on front panel something that Sammy designers might consider implement one day ;) There's been two relatively dangerous falls from about meter high or so on laminate flooring, both face down and not a single scratch on this protector. My Note 4 is in the tiniest/slimmest 1$ case from eBay which doesn't have elevated "lips" so protector is exposed to face down falls but holding strong so far :) Thanks for sharing your story and see my pix below!

What's the link?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using xda premium

ithehappy

May 5, 2008
Calcutta
Google Pixel 2 XL

Two question if you don't mind answering,

1- How's the touch screen responsiveness? Do you feel like gliding over the original glass of Note 4, or does the protector feel sticky or something? I am talking about both finger and S Pen usage.

2- I see from the photo that the fingerprint sensor is kind of tucked inside the protective screen, does that make swiping over it a horrible experience than it already is?

FAUguy

Mar 1, 2011
South FL

So no microdots on this one? That is a first I think for an edge-to-edge screen protector, but it does have a small halo?
This intelliArmor one I've been using (in black) has worked great since last year. Two touch buttons are covered, but work. Only has a cutout for the center button, ear speaker, and proximity sensor at the top. So it has a very nice one-piece look to it. The only downside is the microdots that you see if there is a bright light reflection or outside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DVKJCO/

Melissakis

Aug 27, 2013
Thessaloniki
If it works well with your Spigen Neo Hybrid case then it should also work well with my Spigen Tough Armor case. As they are both two part cases.

No, mine is not a two part case. Sorry, my mistake, my case is the Ultra Hybrid, I always confuse those! :eek:

So no microdots on this one? That is a first I think for an edge-to-edge screen protector, but it does have a small halo?
This intelliArmor one I've been using (in black) has worked great since last year. Two touch buttons are covered, but work. Only has a cutout for the center button, ear speaker, and proximity sensor at the top. So it has a very nice one-piece look to it. The only downside is the microdots that you see if there is a bright light reflection or outside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DVKJCO/

Yes, definitely no dots. The cutouts are perfectly aligned to all sensors and selfie camera. The latter is rather important, my previous tempered glass had the selfie covered and the photos were just a little blurred, now they are much better. I'm not the selfie type of guy at all, but it's good to know that everything works as it should.
The first one I installed had a tiny, hard to notice, halo in some parts of the screen, the second one has not. I guess that depends on the correct placement or maybe some small manufacturing differences. The bottom line is that this one generally has very small to zero halo.

alexsoin

Jan 7, 2014
San Mateo, CA
Two question if you don't mind answering,

1- How's the touch screen responsiveness? Do you feel like gliding over the original glass of Note 4, or does the protector feel sticky or something? I am talking about both finger and S Pen usage.

2- I see from the photo that the fingerprint sensor is kind of tucked inside the protective screen, does that make swiping over it a horrible experience than it already is?

Hello there! Screen responsiveness seems to be the same. I don't use SPen a lot but looks like it works fine too. The only thing I should mention that edges have 0.1 mm or so of elevation (covered with brushed metal-like stuff). That makes left-to-right and vice versa swipes with slightly different feel, which is still better than those on clear glass protectors with edges being uncovered. Fingerprint works perfectly, I use it all the time as screenlock! Hope that helps!

Forgot one more thing, it's been a month or 1.5 months of using this protector and oleophobic coating is already gone but fingerprints are very easy to remove and there's no that very sticky feel like from some of those protectors with dots grid!

Last edited:
Reactions: ithehappy

borijess

Jul 30, 2010

I got this protector 2 days ago. I am really liking it. I still have some halo around the sides, not on top or bottom. Other than that it really looks good.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I decided to grab Tech Armor's Ballistic glass protector on Amazon, thankfully it's not one that overhangs the curve. I have to wait until Saturday for my Spigen Tough Armor to show up and see how well they look together.

But so far, no complaints. The glass covers the sensors and front camera, but doesn't impede their function at all from what I've tested.
    Numerous people here in Australia have been fitting a screen protector with NO HALO or other issues .
    But as we all know it can only do that by covering the 'screen" area which Does NOT include the Bezel area.
    The "Screen" and "Bezel" are 2 different things !! ( even though they are 1 covering piece of glass). I doubt even iloome will be able to build 1 that fits on the N4 the same as they did for the iphone 6 for a number of reasons I wont elaborate on here.

The one people are using is this-
    Nillkin Amazing H+ Anti-Explosion Tempered Glass Screen Protector
    I see a few people a 1/2 dozen or so pages back in this thread are also using this SP.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>>>>>>>>>>>The pics and text below by forum member - Davesday<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Here are some pictures of the Nillkin Amazing H+ Tempered Glass that is applied on my Note 4
    http://pbrd.co/1tkTdiB
    http://pbrd.co/1tkTwKx
    http://pbrd.co/1tkTxOo
    http://pbrd.co/1tkTBxC

As you can see, it doesn't cover the entire screen area because can only stick to the flat side of the screen to prevent getting the halo effect around the curved edges. You may not like the end result because it sort of becomes a 'double curved edge' glass LOL! But with the case on, its not too bad. The 2.5D curved finish on the Nillkin does help make swiping easier edge to edge and will not hinder the use of home button/finger print scanner. The glass itself is thin enough despite being 0.3mm thick.

If you have a white Note 4, the glass may not be as obvious as with the black Note 4.

In terms of screen clarity, its a 100% to my eyes. It doesn't seem to create glare. I was using it in the sun or directly underneath bright LED lighting, it didn't bother me. The 'finger feel' is exactly like the original screen. There's an oleophobic coating and you get that 'oily smooth' feel. Feels exactly like real glass, knocks like real glass too. Have been using it for the entire day, happy to report it doesn't collect finger print or grease at all. Minimal face oil after a long phone call but a simple wipe in the pants pocket and its crystal clear again.

Overall I'm very happy with the Nillkin. Makes me think what additional benefits the more expensive brands like Spigen bring to the table. Or maybe with time, the vendors could bring a full 100% coverage solution.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I thought post 178 showed that the tech armor glass was ok. I was about to order one as the one i bought from "redpeppercase" on ebay was mentioned that it left a halo all around.

Perhaps he didn't get the same TS that I did? They have 3 versions. Perhaps I got a rare good one? Perhaps he just hates TS as he didn't post pics of it being "junk"? Who knows...
    Mine is still working perfectly, I've even gotten used to the gap between it and my case (Spigen ToughArmor), well, until Iloome's curved version is released anyways.
    Here's some more pics of it, pardon the crappy lighting.

z6V5yF5.jpg

li3X2e4.jpg

KYChHcI.jpg

tT4M3q7.jpg

YH7yBt0.jpg

Damn, I've got more dust than I thought...
    5b19727a327938c3bc83c1e105ffe472.jpg

Just received the screen protector I'll apply it later on today or tomorrow and post pics.
    Here is my reply from a Bear Motion vendor on amazon. For less than $10 you bet I'm buying one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MD...414543425&qid=1414543425&sr=8-2&sr=8-2&sr=8-2