Tempered Glass Screen Protectors?

Search This thread

vaxick

Dec 17, 2007
Did you have anything under the glass I did it in the bathroom and I was careful and still had something under it I took it off I ordered two more waiting for them. I have ocd if one thing is under it I am done off it comes.

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

Looks good

I found a super easy way to rid your device of dust before applying a screen protector. Order a Armor Shield from Amazon and apply it first. Those screen protectors pick up every last piece of dust and it is basically permanently stuck to the screen protector due to the type of adhesive they use. After that, you can install your chosen screen protector on a nice clean screen without issue. I did it with my Nexus 6 before I put my screen protector on and it went on perfect the first try without a single piece of dust. You have to spend an extra $10 to do it this way, but it's well worth it to know all your dust problems will be a thing of the past. As a bonus, you'll get a very nice squeegee out of it as the one Armor Shield includes is a very high quality one.

Reactions: jason504
I used this one from Itelliarmor http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00PZG54OG?tag=e0495-20 It fits as well as can be, considering the curved edges of the screen, small halos near some edges where it goes around the speakers. I was very impressed with the adhesive or whatever they call it, went on effortlessly. Excellent feel to the finish. Sure beats PET! I always do screen protectors in a steamy bathroom (shower running hot) to knock all the dust down out of the air, works great, and don't hang your head or clothes over the work!

How big are the halos? Can you post some pictures? Thanks!

jason504

Mar 3, 2013
I found a super easy way to rid your device of dust before applying a screen protector. Order a Armor Shield from Amazon and apply it first. Those screen protectors pick up every last piece of dust and it is basically permanently stuck to the screen protector due to the type of adhesive they use. After that, you can install your chosen screen protector on a nice clean screen without issue. I did it with my Nexus 6 before I put my screen protector on and it went on perfect the first try without a single piece of dust. You have to spend an extra $10 to do it this way, but it's well worth it to know all your dust problems will be a thing of the past. As a bonus, you'll get a very nice squeegee out of it as the one Armor Shield includes is a very high quality one.
So put the glass screen protector over the armor shield? Is that going to stay? Seems like you would have 2 things between the screen? I am not saying that because I don't believe you I am just curious, and if you say it works I might try it.

SilkyJohnson

Jul 17, 2014
Horrible pic, but the Orzly looks sharp in person.
92237bf7bebaaa225d3bc4c79d5984b5.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Does anyone know of a good fitting protector that has cut outs surrounding the speakers instead of just indented?

What I mean is I want a protector that runs the full length of the top and bottom edge instead of dipping down and underneath the speaker.

SilkyJohnson

Jul 17, 2014
Does anyone know of a good fitting protector that has cut outs surrounding the speakers instead of just indented?

What I mean is I want a protector that runs the full length of the top and bottom edge instead of dipping down and underneath the speaker.
People seem to like the MIME brand one, pretty much full coverage. Pics a few pages back and then deeper back you can find more.

Otterbox one seems to be the best, but it's not out yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Reactions: danarama

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
People seem to like the MIME brand one, pretty much full coverage. Pics a few pages back and then deeper back you can find more.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Cool, cheers. for the answer. I'll press thanks in tapatalk later :)

Edit. Hmm MIME still looks to indent, although looking at the pics, having glass surrounding the speaker may not actually be possible due to the bezel. Actually that MIME looks nicer than most.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilkyJohnson

vaxick

Dec 17, 2007
Did you have anything under the glass I did it in the bathroom and I was careful and still had something under it I took it off I ordered two more waiting for them. I have ocd if one thing is under it I am done off it comes.

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

Looks good

So put the glass screen protector over the armor shield? Is that going to stay? Seems like you would have 2 things between the screen? I am not saying that because I don't believe you I am just curious, and if you say it works I might try it.

No, no, no lol. I mean apply the armor shield screen protector directly onto your Nexus 6. Let it dry on there for a bit and then remove the armor shield screen protector from your phone. Then after that, put your screen protector on the Nexus 6.

kingston73

Feb 8, 2011
Can someone post a link for the MIME tempered glass? I ordered the Orlyz this time as my last resort, but I will give a larger size cover one more time... and this time going all out with applying :D. I like how the MIME looks on the "above-user" haha.

Here it is.
It worked very well for me too:
http://mimeusa.com/product/nexus-6-ghost-glass-screen-protector/

Shoot, I think it's out of stock...

Sent from my Nexus 6

At first I liked my mime but I can't recommend it anymore. After only a week I already have a chip out of it on the side. This is with the ringgke max case and I'm very careful with my phone so no abuse. Between the halo and now the chip I'm very dissappointed in it, especially for the price. My jelly comb didn't feel as good but was on for a month without any chips. I'd stay away from mime, for now at least.
I've got a ghostek on the way, plus I emailed mime with my issues so I'll post back when I get the answer from mime and when I install the ghostek.

Last edited:

jason504

Mar 3, 2013
No, no, no lol. I mean apply the armor shield screen protector directly onto your Nexus 6. Let it dry on there for a bit and then remove the armor shield screen protector from your phone. Then after that, put your screen protector on the Nexus 6.
Got ya how well does the armor shield work by its self? Because I have a case so I am not worried about my screen breaking. I am worried about scratches more than anything.

vaxick

Dec 17, 2007
Got ya how well does the armor shield work by its self? Because I have a case so I am not worried about my screen breaking. I am worried about scratches more than anything.

It's alright and it does a good job combating fingerprints, but it isn't crystal clear. There's almost a look of speckles in it like you'd see on a matte computer monitor. I use a iLLumiShield screen protector on my Nexus myself. It was $7 on Amazon and it's crystal clear. Plus, it has a cutout for the proximity sensor which some of the N6 screen protectors seem to be missing for some strange reason. I've been very happy with it so far and it hasn't bubbled up on the edges like I see many of the tempered screen protectors doing.

I posted some photos of it here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=58264943&postcount=155

Reactions: jason504

msd24200

Jun 14, 2008
KY
I received my replacement EZgaudz tg, this one has the proximity cutout but if I remember correctly people had trouble with that one as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Radicchio

Dec 22, 2013

Is there some reason you recommend the Armor Shield specifically? Wouldn't any screen protector do the same thing? Why not get a cheaper one to use to remove the last traces of dust?

SilkyJohnson

Jul 17, 2014
Orzly: zero issues.

Y'all will come around ☺

PROS:
*no halo + perfect fit
*crystal clear (screen actually feels nicer too)
*no chips
*no proximity sensor probs

CONS (if this is a con to you):
*doesn't cover the entire front

^until someone comes out with a curved tempered glass to fit ours perfect, the Orzly is the safe option IMO.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Orzly nor am I getting paid by them. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6

kevinh52

Nov 24, 2007
Just FYI.. Since people are talking about buying screen protectors just to get the dust off before installing a tempered glass one. ........The MIME does come with a Anti-Dust pre-installation film. Basically a sticky film to help get the the dust off. Not sure if that helps when looking at the cost. whenever its in stock again.

Last edited:

vaxick

Dec 17, 2007
Is there some reason you recommend the Armor Shield specifically? Wouldn't any screen protector do the same thing? Why not get a cheaper one to use to remove the last traces of dust?

Traditional plastic screen protectors don't have the adhesive strength to pickup all dust particles off the screen. It would have to be a screen protector like Armor Shield. Something like Skinomi should work too. I've just use Armor Shield personally since it's a new trick I discovered not too long ago that saved me from the painful process of sticking scotch tape under the screen protector to try to pull dust out of it.

mikgabo

Dec 14, 2014
Orzly: zero issues.

Y'all will come around ☺

PROS:
*no halo + perfect fit
*crystal clear (screen actually feels nicer too)
*no chips
*no proximity sensor probs

CONS (if this is a con to you):
*doesn't cover the entire front

^until someone comes out with a curved tempered glass to fit ours perfect, the Orzly is the safe option IMO.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Orzly nor am I getting paid by them. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6

+1

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: SilkyJohnson

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All -

When we manufacture intelliGLASS PRO for the Nexus 6, we apply adhesive the to entire back of the screen protector. If anybody receives one that does not have a full layer of adhesive on the back please let us know at [email protected] we will be sure to take care of you.

Also, just a heads up, it's common for there to be a thin area along each edge that can take 24 to 48 hours before fully adhering. It can sometimes take some time for the silicone adhesive to fully bond within this area due to the curvature of the screen.

Thanks!
    intelliARMOR

Looks like I have to make-good on this. I heard back from our product manager and it turns out I was mistaken. Because the Nexus 6 had rounded edges around the perimeter of the device, the is a small area along the top camera and speaker that doesn't have adhesive. This was done on purpose because of issues with adhesion where the edge starts to taper down in this area.

We add additional silicone adhesive on the back of the intelliGLASS PRO to ensure that it adheres, however sometimes it takes 24 to 48 hours for the adhesive to completely bond with a phone, which is why some might experience a temporary halo.

Our philosophy here at intelliARMOR is we're not happy unless your happy. If you experience any problems or are not happy with intelliGLASS PRO for the Nexus 6 just send us a note at [email protected] and we will be sure to take care of you.

Thanks!
    intelliARMOR
    intelliGLASS PRO

Hi All -

You have all been a great source of info while we reworked the design of our Nexus 6 intelliGLASS. I know it was a wait but we just released our intelliGLASS PRO for Nexus 6 and have setup a special coupon for XDA members. If you enter intelliPRO when checking out at the intelliARMOR website you will save 20% off our new Nexus 6 intelliGLASS screen protector. (if already purchased one just us know and we'll refund you 20% as well).

Thanks guys!
    intelliARMOR
    Guys I think I may have a fix for everyone out there I just stumbled across this has my proximity sensor was not working either until now. What you want to do is go into accessibility under settings and check power button to end call . Somehow when I check this my proximity sensor started working correctly again also after that I unchecked it so put it back to normal and it is still working flawlessly. I believe when you check that it recalibrates the sensor. So could someone else please check this and see if it works for them.. ( I wish I would have discovered this before I lifted up my screen protector like 10 times and messed up most of the edges smh.... )

Also if you do not have anyone to call to check to see if it is working you can use this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tigermonster.proxfinder

Just got my jelly comb.
    Yeah after 8 different screen protectors I'm beginning to think it will be a while before we get a good one.
    This is honestly the first launch phone I have where not one company has gotten any kind or screen protection right.
    I was gonna use it and thought the same thing till I found out it messes with the proximity sensor
    I received the Jelly Comb today, really disappointed
    I also picked this up today. However, my proximity sensor stopped working.

Could one of you try the fix above and see if it works for you.... Assuming you still have a TG protector on
    EZGuardz Review >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKd2aTK1ZNs

This screen protector is almost perfect! I definitely recommend

Hi Res Photos:
    2ijmfc.jpg

260z8ys.jpg

a0jmsz.jpg

110hmyx.jpg

33le58o.jpg

2ccui5f.jpg

15dp4ep.jpg

2v9uhdi.jpg
    here you guys go, perfect install no halos or anything fits great, all spigen cases will work I showed off my ultra hybrid but also have the neo and slim and both work perfect. sp has a nice gap so that all the cases I have work on it no screen lifting like the nillkin sp. intelliarmor killed it with this screen protector.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone