• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

General Tencent version bad service in US with T-Mobile

Search This thread

Trickster29

Apr 10, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
... 🤦‍♀️

So I never said that band version follows the suffix. I dunno where you got that, but it seems like you don't want to read what I am saying because you keep thinking that's what you're reading.

DC is NOT the Chinese version. DA is the Chinese version.

If you take nothing else from this post, YOUR BOX IS PRINTED IN ENGLISH.

I have the ACTUAL Chinese version and the box is in... you guessed it... CHINESE
I never said it was Chinese. Calm down and realize that I was saying that to reinforce the fact that the suffix doesn't follow band version.

I totally read your post and you were saying the dc was the international version. But clearly it isn't exclusive to the international version that has different bands than the same dc I have now

twistedumbrella

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2007
abandonedcart.gitlab.io
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I never said it was Chinese. Calm down and realize that I was saying that to reinforce the fact that the suffix doesn't follow band version.

I totally read your post and you were saying the dc was the international version. But clearly it isn't exclusive to the international version that has different bands than the same dc I have now
The DA, DC, etc are vendor product models. They can be deciphered into where the device was released. Based on the release region, you can get the bands it should support. Whether or not that is useful information is up to you. Best of luck.

daviddem

Mar 5, 2012
For anyone wondering the ROG Phone 5 USA version fully supports T-Mobile it seems and i was able to get over 100Mbps download with 5G connected in El Paso, TX, which from my understanding does not have mid band 5G deployed,which is correct as I'm connected to band 66 according to LTE Discovery, aswell as i have VOLTE. FYI you do need to enable 5G within the mobile data settings but after that it is smooth sailing.

View attachment 5323883
@Trickster29 Does it support Tmobile Wifi Calling?

Trickster29

Apr 10, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Last edited:
Reactions: daviddem

Trickster29

Apr 10, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Anyone try to buy it off Amazon and see how it runs on T-Mobile.
From my understanding that's either the tencent or the non-USA international version. Which neither worked well on T-Mobile when compared to the Asus USA store version. (doesn't get band 66 LTE or 5G and LTE is abysmally slow)

My best recommendation to you is to order it straight from ASUS USA, as that one for sure supports T-Mobile entirely. (gets band 66 LTE/5G and over/around 200MBPS 5G in my area)

I Like Soup

Oct 20, 2010
Phoenix by way of Texas
For what it's worth, here is the information that Asus US Support sent me regarding the model number for the phone on the US site...

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Online Support.

My name is Daynard J. and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Where to buy http://promos.asus.com/us/where_to_buy/

Model of the Rog phone ZS673KS-1B048IN

You are more than welcome to visit our Asus support website: http://www.asus.com/us/support

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us."

• Haha
Reactions: twistedumbrella

twistedumbrella

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2007
abandonedcart.gitlab.io
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Does anybody have any other way to get the US phone other than the ASUS US Store? Seems like it's always sold out...

It doesn't appear that they have any authorized dealers yet. A lot of the ones you'll find on Amazon, eBay, and other sellers are either converted foreign versions or overpriced attempts to exploit limited quantities.

kdog12

Nov 1, 2016
Is there a physical difference between the tencent version and the US version? Hardware wise? Would using EDL mode to flash the US version firmware onto the tencent not activate those missing bands?

twistedumbrella

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2007
abandonedcart.gitlab.io
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Is there a physical difference between the tencent version and the US version? Hardware wise? Would using EDL mode to flash the US version firmware onto the tencent not activate those missing bands?

Yes and no, respectively.

The hardware is the "same" in terms of core features, but it's been documented that the variant made in China will occasionally have cheaper versions of the same parts.

Bands are set by modem hardware. There is a thread about unlocking them that covers what is and isn't possible. Bands are not to be confused with added features, such as VO(data) that can be enabled with the proper software support.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anybody have any other way to get the US phone other than the ASUS US Store? Seems like its always sold out...
    I Unfortunately do not. How long has it been sold out?
    Yup trickster is right. I005DA = Version G which does not have band 66 for extended LTE or 5G enabled for US carriers. So the international version is the same as the tencent version with global rom. What an expensive and time consuming lesson this ended up being. Returning it and going with USA version. 25mbps down is outright laughable for $1000 phone. NGP and all these resellers are basically scamming US consumers by advertising this as using version A when it's version G.

So just to reiterate for anyone going forward .. do not buy any tencent/international versions as they are all model I005DA which is version G and does not support the extended LTE and 5G bands for T-Mobile USA.
    So I ordered the ROG Phone 5 Tencent version by mistake and I couldn't cancel it in time before they shipped it. I tried out the phone upon receiving it even though I had already read about the issues with 5G connectivity in the US. Testing out the bands with LTE Connectivity it obviously will not connect to any of T-Mobile's 5G bands in the US and on top it will only connect band 4 of tmobiles 4GLTE which is quite slower than band 66. I tested it side by side with my old Galaxy Note 8 and the note 8 was consistently getting better speeds of about 60/5 on band 66 while the tencent ROG phone 5 was only getting about 25-30 download at most on band 4. I promptly created a return order and bought the international version from NGP.

So in summary for those wondering, the tencent ROG phone 5 does not have the bands needed for a phone at this price point.

Check out this link for an accurate list of bands for the China version and then the international version.

I will be receiving my international version in 2 days and will be testing the mobile bands in the Los Angeles area. Hoping for 5G!!
    A how to guide for getting bad service?
    Doesn't the tencent version support SA 71? T-Mobile recently added that frequency I believe unless I misunderstood
    It's going to be hit or miss, depending on location.
    Does anybody have any other way to get the US phone other than the ASUS US Store? Seems like its always sold out...
    I Unfortunately do not. How long has it been sold out?