Question Terrible Camera

Search This thread

jaybird779

Feb 7, 2008
I know I could turn off the HDR settings. However, I normally like it. The Note 20 I had was fine, but the colors on the S21 are sooo amplified that everything looks like it was taken with a bad filter. Nearly every photo is complete crap. Video is fine, just the pics are an issue. I usually don't have the scene optimizer on. Anyone know of other fixes? I saw that the May update includes something for the camera, but I have no idea what. Does anyone know if it addresses this issue? Thanks!

ZayaanAhyaan

Dec 2, 2016
I know I could turn off the HDR settings. However, I normally like it. The Note 20 I had was fine, but the colors on the S21 are sooo amplified that everything looks like it was taken with a bad filter. Nearly every photo is complete crap. Video is fine, just the pics are an issue. I usually don't have the scene optimizer on. Anyone know of other fixes? I saw that the May update includes something for the camera, but I have no idea what. Does anyone know if it addresses this issue? Thanks!
Major issue I have is with skin tones. Before I take the pic, it looks detailed and after it processes it, it turns into a beauty filter mode, smoothing everything and killing details. I figured mine was HK variant so it's doing what people like there, but on my wife's Note 20U (again, HK variant) it doesn't have that drastic issue.

I got the May update, and it hasn't resolved it. Anything even slightly moving will crush all details in indoor light.

I always use Gcam...and it's by far the best alternative to anything apart from Pixel phones, for stills. Video is always stock.

Reactions: zenaldo

rockky

Oct 2, 2006
chicago
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
These always interest me. It's like we all have different phones....or maybe it's preferences.
I have none of these 'issues'. The skin tones are something I've really appreciated per past Samsung processing. Very natural finally. Mine has seemed good out of the box

Never ran into the "issue" you're talking about. Nearly every photo I take on this phone is a keeper.

If you're seriously saying the 'nearly every photo is complete crap', then I guess your preference for photos is something very different from the average joe.

If I were you, I would first check with other people around me who have the same phone and compare cameras to confirm that my phone didn't have an issue.

If only your phone takes crappy pics and theirs are fine, contact Samsung for a warranty replacement/repair.

However, if you think even their S21U photos are crap, then you can either shoot in pro mode and do post-processing to tune images to your liking or just change to some other phone. I don't think the camera on this phone will improve very much with future software updates, if the current level is "crap" in your opinion.

Personally, I have nothing that needs "fixing". It's a great camera in my opinion.

Just to be clear, I'm not bashing on you - you gave your opinion and I gave mine. We don't have to agree. But I'm genuinely trying to help.
I would honestly consider trying out the comparison test with a few mates to figure out if something's wrong with your device.

Reactions: hthiengo and BuPL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Never ran into the "issue" you're talking about. Nearly every photo I take on this phone is a keeper.

If you're seriously saying the 'nearly every photo is complete crap', then I guess your preference for photos is something very different from the average joe.

If I were you, I would first check with other people around me who have the same phone and compare cameras to confirm that my phone didn't have an issue.

If only your phone takes crappy pics and theirs are fine, contact Samsung for a warranty replacement/repair.

However, if you think even their S21U photos are crap, then you can either shoot in pro mode and do post-processing to tune images to your liking or just change to some other phone. I don't think the camera on this phone will improve very much with future software updates, if the current level is "crap" in your opinion.

Personally, I have nothing that needs "fixing". It's a great camera in my opinion.

Just to be clear, I'm not bashing on you - you gave your opinion and I gave mine. We don't have to agree. But I'm genuinely trying to help.
    I would honestly consider trying out the comparison test with a few mates to figure out if something's wrong with your device.
    Major issue I have is with skin tones. Before I take the pic, it looks detailed and after it processes it, it turns into a beauty filter mode, smoothing everything and killing details. I figured mine was HK variant so it's doing what people like there, but on my wife's Note 20U (again, HK variant) it doesn't have that drastic issue.

I got the May update, and it hasn't resolved it. Anything even slightly moving will crush all details in indoor light.

I always use Gcam...and it's by far the best alternative to anything apart from Pixel phones, for stills. Video is always stock.
    Did you click the magic wand and turn off the filters?