• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Terrible finger print sensitivity with screen protector

Search This thread

OuHiroshi

Mar 30, 2013
What update? Maybe people are finally getting the Day 1 SD1A.210817.036 update that most people already got.

fastfreddy101

Jul 28, 2012
I woke up this morning and I was having issues with the fingerprint sensor again. I restarted the phone and its working perfectly again, like a night and day difference.

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
What update? Maybe people are finally getting the Day 1 SD1A.210817.036 update that most people already got.

That update is technically the November security release. Google simply released it early for P6 device on the P6 release day. That has obviously caused confusion because lots of P6 owners are expecting to get their regular Nov update that was just announced and don't realize that the update last week is the same thing.

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
That update is technically the November security release. Google simply released it early for P6 device on the P6 release day. That has obviously caused confusion because lots of P6 owners are expecting to get their regular Nov update that was just announced and don't realize that the update last week is the same thing.
yep, the update reads Nov 5 2021, which is in three days lol

sean222

I used a crappy soft plastic screen protector (the kind that dents) and the fingerprint sensor worked beautifully.
I ripped it off and put on a glass screen protector (Pure Gear) and now the fingerprint sensor doesn't work...works maybe 1 out of 15 tries. I hope I can return this glass screen protector...

Annil

Dec 6, 2012
Fingerprint reader works perfectly here now with glass screen protector on.
Issue I had before was, that I had registered the fingers without glass. Now after fresh install I have registered them with the protector on and now it works like always and pretty quick.
Happy so far :)

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Fingerprint reader works perfectly here now with glass screen protector on.
Issue I had before was, that I had registered the fingers without glass. Now after fresh install I have registered them with the protector on and now it works like always and pretty quick.
Happy so far :)
This is actually a security hazard. You might want to do a bit of research on this. There are several people who tried out with their partners and those were able to unlock their phones. If you register your fingerprint with a screen protector on, chances are that the optical scanner just registers what's underneath your screen protector, ergo giving out the "go" for unlock, even though your fingerprint is not correctly registered, ergo even your partner in that scenario (or any other person (!)) by chance could unlock your phone, without ever having set it up.

Always register an optical fingerprint scanner without a screen protector.

Last edited:

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
This is actually a security hazard. You might want to do a bit of research on this. There are several people who tried out with their partners and those were able to unlock their phones. If you register your fingerprint with a screen protector on, chances are that the optical scanner just registers what's underneath your screen protector, ergo giving out the "go" for unlock, even though your fingerprint is not correctly registered, ergo even your partner by chance could unlock your phone, without ever having set it up.

are you sure this is true for an optical FP scanner. I see your point with an ultrasonic FP scanner, but the optical uses an image of your FP. Yes, the optical FP scanner can be fooled by a high res image of your FP, but that is an inherent problem with them, with or without a screen protector.
cheers

Reactions: RMVC1968

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
are you sure this is true for an optical FP scanner. I see your point with an ultrasonic FP scanner, but the optical uses an image of your FP. Yes, the optical FP scanner can be fooled by a high res image of your FP, but that is an inherent problem with them.
cheers
I never tried it out myself, but just recently (this morning) read a reddit thread where someone reported this (his girlfriend was able to unlock his phone without ever having set up her fingers, even though it only worked with one of her fingers, not the other 9). And since he was talking about his Pixel 6 Pro... and it's not the only report I've seen, jep, I'm pretty sure its true for an optical FP scanner.

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
I never tried it out myself, but just recently (this morning) read a reddit thread where someone reported this (his girlfriend was able to unlock his phone without ever having set up her fingers, even though it only worked with one of her fingers, not the other 9). And since he was talking about his Pixel 6 Pro... and it's not the only report I've seen, jep, I'm pretty sure its true for an optical FP scanner.
well, if that is wide spread then that's the end of optical FP scanners. That would make them not secure - period. I still wish they would have used one on the back.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
well, if that is wide spread then that's the end of optical FP scanners. That would make them not secure - period. I still wish they would have used one on the back.
No, they are secure (as far as I understand). You just have to register your fingerprints BEFORE putting on the screen protector.

It seems that if you set them up WHILST having the screen protector on, they might become a security hazard. It's not clear as of now in which scenarios (it's also possible that the people that installed the screen protector "made a mistake", maybe they touched the underside of it, leaving maybe a partial print on the underside and the phones scanner is picking that up). We just don't have enough information as of now.

Last edited:

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
No, they are secure (as far as I understand). You just have to register your fingerprints BEFORE putting on the screen protector.

It seems that if you set them up WHILST having the screen protector on, they might become a security hazard.
so all the "common knowledge" that you have to rescan your FP with a screen protector goes out the window. It works, but now it works for more than one person potentially. Sad

Annil

Dec 6, 2012
This is actually a security hazard. You might want to do a bit of research on this. There are several people who tried out with their partners and those were able to unlock their phones. If you register your fingerprint with a screen protector on, chances are that the optical scanner just registers what's underneath your screen protector, ergo giving out the "go" for unlock, even though your fingerprint is not correctly registered, ergo even your partner in that scenario (or any other person (!)) by chance could unlock your phone, without ever having set it up.

I'd really like to see some evidence/proof on that for optical finger print readers, especially how this is technically happening - of course all given, the protector and also the phone itself were completely clean and no fingerprint was leftover. Couldn't find any research paper or whatever on that topic and this would really exist, it would be defintily have been researched as optical fingerprint sensors are more and more common (not only in some smartphones)

LeoD

Jun 11, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I think I might have come across something that might help some having problems with the FPR.
A couple days ago I ran across a article that gave some suggestions on how to correct the FPR issues. I decided to give it a try.
First understand as I have said before I'm not using glass. I decided to go with that ArmorShield film. If you like you can check out my other post in this thread on how that was working out for me.
So this article suggested to use some moisturizer BEFORE recording your fingerprints. So I have vaseline fast absorbing moist. Put some on my hands, and rubbed it in (so as not so mess up my screen of course). I then removed all the fingerprints I had stored and added them again. 2 of my left thumb, 1 of my right thumb and both index fingers. I went slow and basicly held my phone how I would use it and followed the on screen directions. All I can say is at least in my case WOW!!!!
I can honestly say that now at least for my phone it works as well as any other phone I have or have had with the rear FPR.
I also DO have the Increase touch sensitivity turned on in the display settings.
I have to say I did not think something as simple as moisturizing my hands would make such a difference.
I do understand as with any tech there are possibilities of bad units and I'm sure some for the Pixels will come up however I am hoping this will work for some of you guys as it did for me.

LeoD

Jun 11, 2010
Google Pixel 6

Actually without any proof I find this hard to believe considering a very high percentage of people can't get in their phone with their FP registered.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I changed the thread title as I took the screen protector off and it works perfectly. Contacted Spigen so hopefully they'll come back to me
    I think I might have come across something that might help some having problems with the FPR.
    A couple days ago I ran across a article that gave some suggestions on how to correct the FPR issues. I decided to give it a try.
    First understand as I have said before I'm not using glass. I decided to go with that ArmorShield film. If you like you can check out my other post in this thread on how that was working out for me.
    So this article suggested to use some moisturizer BEFORE recording your fingerprints. So I have vaseline fast absorbing moist. Put some on my hands, and rubbed it in (so as not so mess up my screen of course). I then removed all the fingerprints I had stored and added them again. 2 of my left thumb, 1 of my right thumb and both index fingers. I went slow and basicly held my phone how I would use it and followed the on screen directions. All I can say is at least in my case WOW!!!!
    I can honestly say that now at least for my phone it works as well as any other phone I have or have had with the rear FPR.
    I also DO have the Increase touch sensitivity turned on in the display settings.
    I have to say I did not think something as simple as moisturizing my hands would make such a difference.
    I do understand as with any tech there are possibilities of bad units and I'm sure some for the Pixels will come up however I am hoping this will work for some of you guys as it did for me.
    Should work now, source:

Screenshot 2021-10-27 17.45.19.png
    Anyone who's having problems where it doesn't read your finger at all or very rarely. Try rebooting the phone and see if it helps at all. if you notice an improvement it might be a calibration issue. Try going to https://pixelrepair.withgoogle.com on your computer using Chrome and install the fingerprint calibration software onto your device.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

Im fully updated, using tempered glass screen protector with increased touch sensitivity on. I noticed that the fingerprint sensor only worked for an hour or so after rebooting before not recognizing my thumb anymore so I tried the calibration software and it seems to have helped a little. The fingerprint scanner is very slow but if I hold my finger there long enough it will unlock on first or second try.
    READ this first.

With or without glass screenprotector @Biggenz?
    With the screen protector on.