• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Terrible finger print sensitivity with screen protector

Search This thread

LeoD

Jun 11, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I never tried it out myself, but just recently (this morning) read a reddit thread where someone reported this (his girlfriend was able to unlock his phone without ever having set up her fingers, even though it only worked with one of her fingers, not the other 9). And since he was talking about his Pixel 6 Pro... and it's not the only report I've seen, jep, I'm pretty sure its true for an optical FP scanner.
She was probably gas lighting him lol. As we all are aware you can find an exception to almost anything on the internet.

Darthapple

Nov 2, 2021
Google Pixel 6
I got the zagg one.. added 3 fingers before screen protector...

After applying it. They all work..

Added a fourth finger which was done after the zagg was applied and it works fine.

fastfreddy101

Jul 28, 2012
Edit: this tool is not intended for this purpose and shouldn't work

Anyone who's having problems where it doesn't read your finger at all or very rarely. Try rebooting the phone and see if it helps at all. if you notice an improvement it might be a calibration issue. Try going to https://pixelrepair.withgoogle.com on your computer using Chrome and install the fingerprint calibration software onto your device.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

Im fully updated, using tempered glass screen protector with increased touch sensitivity on. I noticed that the fingerprint sensor only worked for an hour or so after rebooting before not recognizing my thumb anymore so I tried the calibration software and it seems to have helped a little. The fingerprint scanner is very slow but if I hold my finger there long enough it will unlock on first or second try.

Last edited:

Tool Belt

Feb 5, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Anyone who's having problems where it doesn't read your finger at all or very rarely. Try rebooting the phone and see if it helps at all. if you notice an improvement it might be a calibration issue. Try going to https://pixelrepair.withgoogle.com on your computer using Chrome and install the fingerprint calibration software onto your device.

Im fully updated, using tempered glass screen protector with increased touch sensitivity on. I noticed that the fingerprint sensor only worked for an hour or so after rebooting before not recognizing my thumb anymore so I tried the calibration software and it seems to have helped a little. The fingerprint scanner is very slow but if I hold my finger there long enough it will unlock on first or second try.
READ this first.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
(snip)
So this article suggested to use some moisturizer BEFORE recording your fingerprints. So I have vaseline fast absorbing moist. Put some on my hands, and rubbed it in (so as not so mess up my screen of course). I then removed all the fingerprints I had stored and added them again. 2 of my left thumb, 1 of my right thumb and both index fingers. I went slow and basicly held my phone how I would use it and followed the on screen directions. All I can say is at least in my case WOW!!!!
I can honestly say that now at least for my phone it works as well as any other phone I have or have had with t
I do understand as with any tech there are possibilities of bad units and I'm sure some for the Pixels will come up however I am hoping this will work for some of you guys as it did for me.
Amazing! That totally did the trick. Thank you for that.

Felchy

Jun 25, 2011
Winnipeg
I changed the thread title as I took the screen protector off and it works perfectly. Contacted Spigen so hopefully they'll come back to me

Have you heard back from Spigen? Or has anyone else? What did they say.

I set up my new P6 a couple of days ago. First thing I did was put the screen protector on. I added the same thumb to all five finger spots and I only get a successful read maybe 5% of the time.

This is so disappointing considering how well the rear fingerprint sensors have always worked.

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Adding the same finger 5 times isn't going to help. Honestly if you move the finger around while registering it to ensure that all parts of the finger are recorded, you shouldn't have to add it more than once. I realize that some people do get better results when they add it a second time, but I suspect they don't move their finger for each "teaching scan" while setting it up and 5 times is total overkill in either case.

In your case, it's clearly the screen protector causing the issue. Take it off and replace it with one that isn't tempered glass if you really want to use one on this phone.

Personally I'm running my phone in a Spigen case, but I'm not using a screen protector yet. I have 95-99% success with the fingerprint reader and have only scanned my fingers once. I have the thumb and index finger scanned for both hands, so I have a total of four prints saved, but each one is only saved once.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
Reactions: derausgewanderte

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I changed the thread title as I took the screen protector off and it works perfectly. Contacted Spigen so hopefully they'll come back to me
    I think I might have come across something that might help some having problems with the FPR.
    A couple days ago I ran across a article that gave some suggestions on how to correct the FPR issues. I decided to give it a try.
    First understand as I have said before I'm not using glass. I decided to go with that ArmorShield film. If you like you can check out my other post in this thread on how that was working out for me.
    So this article suggested to use some moisturizer BEFORE recording your fingerprints. So I have vaseline fast absorbing moist. Put some on my hands, and rubbed it in (so as not so mess up my screen of course). I then removed all the fingerprints I had stored and added them again. 2 of my left thumb, 1 of my right thumb and both index fingers. I went slow and basicly held my phone how I would use it and followed the on screen directions. All I can say is at least in my case WOW!!!!
    I can honestly say that now at least for my phone it works as well as any other phone I have or have had with the rear FPR.
    I also DO have the Increase touch sensitivity turned on in the display settings.
    I have to say I did not think something as simple as moisturizing my hands would make such a difference.
    I do understand as with any tech there are possibilities of bad units and I'm sure some for the Pixels will come up however I am hoping this will work for some of you guys as it did for me.
    Should work now, source:

Screenshot 2021-10-27 17.45.19.png

READ this first.

With or without glass screenprotector @Biggenz?
    With the screen protector on.