Question Terrible front camera performance (Colour balance + Saturation)

Search This thread

Purple!

Oct 4, 2022
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else experienced this, I quite often make pictures with my front cam and the camera is such a downgrade from my 4 year old Xiaomi Mix 3! The colour balance is all off, almost like they forgot to make a profile for the front cam.

The back camera is just fine, but the front camera often looks like a $20 toy camera just because of this terrible colour balance. I can fix most of my selfies in Google Photos by using a combination of adding warmth (Colour Balance) and adding saturation which makes them look just fine.
For a phone this expensive... this shouldn't be needed. I'd say most mid-level phones even make better selfies then this.

I've tried cleaning the lens but this makes no difference, the Samsung camera app just fails to properly process the colours in the front camera's images.

Because I apparently don't value my privacy, here is a picture as taken by the Samsung camera, and the same picture after adding warmth and saturation.
The original image makes me look lifeless with the skin being very pale, like a zombie almost. It was a nice and sunny day, why do I look like I'm 10 seconds away from my death?

1.jpg
----
2.jpg

Anyone else with this issue? Does a modded version of the Samsung camera exist with the possibility to manually define post-processing settings? I just need to have it add more saturation and offset the colour balance

beanbean50

Jul 9, 2008
London
I'm searching for a solution myself, google's Gcam camera is great but I can't find a way to make it use the front camera. I'll be back if I find a way..

Last edited:

beanbean50

Jul 9, 2008
London
I'm searching for a solution myself, google's Gcam camera is great but I can't find a way to make it use the front camera. I'll be back if I find a way..

I've searched high and wide for a way to make another camera app the default one to get a better front camera selfie (even by disabling Samsung camera) but it seems like the cover screen and Samsung camera are intertwined and cannot be separated.

What we really need is a developer to have a look at the system framework or whatnot and see if something can be done to change the default camera, but they (developers) are a rare breed nowadays.

But on the bright side, if they ever do a remake of the movie weekend at Bernie's I'm pretty sure they'd offer you a part with photos like that..!