Question Terrible GPS... AGAIN!

Search This thread

edufur

Sep 27, 2007
Hillsboro
Moto X4
Google Pixel 6a
I bought the 7a because I previously bought 2 6a devices and both of those had terrible GPS accuracy during navigation. I was hopeful that the 7a would have resolved that. Not only has it not resolved it, but it is worse than the 6a phones. How is Google getting away with this?

dexlemaffo

Sep 3, 2014
Rabat
I measure it by getting in my car and using Android Auto to use Google Navigation to go somewhere. Every time, my position throws me somewhere far away than where I actually am and it momentarily causes navigation to re-route. This happens multiple times in every trip.
Is your GPS calibrated on Google maps ? And are you encountring the same issue using another application like Waze ?

USSENTERNCC1701E

Sep 21, 2010
Logan
I measure it by getting in my car and using Android Auto to use Google Navigation to go somewhere. Every time, my position throws me somewhere far away than where I actually am and it momentarily causes navigation to re-route. This happens multiple times in every trip.

What stereo are you using? Does it have (or should it have) it's own external GPS antenna?

My Pioneer deck has its own GPS antenna which is used for vehicle location, the phone GPS is used for Assistant functions like searching for nearby gas stations.

Reactions: dexlemaffo

USSENTERNCC1701E

Sep 21, 2010
Logan
It happens in the head unit of both of my vehicles. They do not have their own GPS.
It could be due to signal attenuation through the vehicle body. This is the reason some decks have their own antenna.

Try placing the phone on the dash as far forward as you can, so it has the best "view" of the sky through the windshield that it can. I would be careful about midday sun, depending on your weather. If you're using a metallic case, (or just one you couldn't wireless charge through) remove it just to see it that helps.

edufur

Sep 27, 2007
Hillsboro
Moto X4
Google Pixel 6a
It could be due to signal attenuation through the vehicle body. This is the reason some decks have their own antenna.

Try placing the phone on the dash as far forward as you can, so it has the best "view" of the sky through the windshield that it can. I would be careful about midday sun, depending on your weather. If you're using a metallic case, (or just one you couldn't wireless charge through) remove it just to see it that helps.
I assure you that is not the case. I always have the phone up on the dash with clear shot. I have never had this problem with 5a and lower. It has only started since the 6a and above. And it happens in two vehicles where as my previous models never did. Coincidentally, 6a and 7a both have the new thumbprint sensor. I wonder if that is interfering somehow. This has to be a design defect. I have the exact same problem on two 6as and a 7a. Again.. they all are on the dash with clear shots.

Jul 18, 2023
I bought the 7a because I previously bought 2 6a devices and both of those had terrible GPS accuracy during navigation. I was hopeful that the 7a would have resolved that. Not only has it not resolved it, but it is worse than the 6a phones. How is Google getting away with this?
Hi edufur,

I want to take a moment and be someone that which agrees with you. I have had many Samsung phones, iPhones and older Pixels. I upgraded to the Pixel 6A and the GPS and I never got along. I would have to hold my phone up to the windshield for around 10 seconds and then it would acquire a signal and then once I placed it back down in a cup holder or arm rest area it would loose it, along with that sometimes it would think I was on the other side and direct u-turns or it would say my turn was 500 feet away and there I was passing the turn at that moment thus a re-direct which again I would have to hold up to get a signal, it would always go gray and say searching for GPS signal.

I then decided to upgrade to the Pixel 7A thinking and really hoping that it would be better. It seemed a tad better at the start so I sold my 6A and kept the 7A, though after about two weeks I am back to square one like above. I really don't like having my cell phone on a mount suctioned to the windshield and that seems like it's the only way that it will stick with a signal. I even tried taking my case off to see if that would help and it did not. I also have a screen protector but I can't justify removing that to see if it would help. I never pair my phone to my radio or car or anything, I just open up Google Maps and start directions. I have other friends who ride with me with old iPhones, new iPhones, Samsung devices and even one has a old tom tom he got out of his junk cabinet that he brought with himself once and left on the center arm rest and it did better with signal than my phone.

So long story short, you are not alone and I agree. If anyone ever figures out a fix or a way to help it, it would be very much appreciated. I am in Georgia in the USA, no tall buildings or other obstructions I can think of.

Reactions: edufur

drchips42

Apr 4, 2023
I have no issues with the GPS. My car has its own Sim / Radio so android auto uses that . when im out , the phone polls my watch ( sam gal 5 ) so i have no issues at all . There are a few times it says im the other side of town , then recalibates and its fine

Jul 18, 2023
I want to share an update. I did some more research last night and downloaded the GPS test app. It seems that the phone gets really confused in the direction of 0 - 360 N,E,S,W if the phone is held straight up, but if its at like a 15* angle laying back then it gets the direction perfect. I am going to try this out to see if it helps any at least correct the directions and maybe the signal.

Last edited:

edufur

Sep 27, 2007
Hillsboro
Moto X4
Google Pixel 6a
I want to share an update. I did some more research last night and downloaded the GPS test app. It seems that the phone gets really confused in the direction of 0 - 360 N,E,S,W if the phone is held straight up, but if its at like a 15* angle laying back then it gets the direction perfect. I am going to try this out to see if it helps any at least correct the directions and maybe the signal.
I wanted this to be true but it didn't change anything for me.

ryan92084

Jun 19, 2010
Still on the 6a and while my experience isn't as bad as yours it isn't great. Constantly thinks I've gone through a an intersection or made a turn when i'm sitting at a red light. Semi frequently drifts off into no where land. Occasionally lags 30s or so behind when starting a trip.
Much higher rate of errors than on any of my previous devices. Only pro i suppose is that the gps doesn't seem to eat as much battery than anything else i've owned.

drchips42

Apr 4, 2023
The only time on my 7a , ive had issues , is when i use the Find device , to see my familys phones.. so it may be there's and not mine . However if they try and find me , its always a few streets off . Driving with my phone is fine , no issues . Its better then my car ! ( Kia Niro hybrid 4 22 )

XanaRaquel

Jun 6, 2010
Does the problem only happen inside your cars? Do some other testing: go walking/running/biking and see if the GPS goes crazy too. Try it on your friends/family cars. If it goes crazy: return the phone because clearly it has a defect. If not, then your cars are the problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What stereo are you using? Does it have (or should it have) it's own external GPS antenna?

My Pioneer deck has its own GPS antenna which is used for vehicle location, the phone GPS is used for Assistant functions like searching for nearby gas stations.
    Hi edufur,

I want to take a moment and be someone that which agrees with you. I have had many Samsung phones, iPhones and older Pixels. I upgraded to the Pixel 6A and the GPS and I never got along. I would have to hold my phone up to the windshield for around 10 seconds and then it would acquire a signal and then once I placed it back down in a cup holder or arm rest area it would loose it, along with that sometimes it would think I was on the other side and direct u-turns or it would say my turn was 500 feet away and there I was passing the turn at that moment thus a re-direct which again I would have to hold up to get a signal, it would always go gray and say searching for GPS signal.

I then decided to upgrade to the Pixel 7A thinking and really hoping that it would be better. It seemed a tad better at the start so I sold my 6A and kept the 7A, though after about two weeks I am back to square one like above. I really don't like having my cell phone on a mount suctioned to the windshield and that seems like it's the only way that it will stick with a signal. I even tried taking my case off to see if that would help and it did not. I also have a screen protector but I can't justify removing that to see if it would help. I never pair my phone to my radio or car or anything, I just open up Google Maps and start directions. I have other friends who ride with me with old iPhones, new iPhones, Samsung devices and even one has a old tom tom he got out of his junk cabinet that he brought with himself once and left on the center arm rest and it did better with signal than my phone.

So long story short, you are not alone and I agree. If anyone ever figures out a fix or a way to help it, it would be very much appreciated. I am in Georgia in the USA, no tall buildings or other obstructions I can think of.
    So, how is it doing when compared to the 7A?
    Way better! I think in the entire time I had it, it only got confused one time. And it was an understandable (and brief) situation. By comparison, the 7a was having problems several times per day.