Tesla Style Headunits

Search This thread

Airwin13

Jan 14, 2016
Hi everybody,

there are some new Android head units around with a bigger screen than the current double din ones. The resellers often calls them "Tesla Style Headunits". Sadly I've not found much information about it, yet. So I bought one on the SinglesDay in China via Taobao to check it out.

I already did a lot of research on the Internet about these things. But until now, I've not figured out who the actual manufacturer is. I think with these units it is the same like the MTCB/D, one manufacturer and lots of resellers. Here is a Link to a site that lists lot of theses units with the specs. But of course they are nearly the same. The only difference I saw was 1GB vs 2GB Ram and 16GB vs 32GB Rom. http://www.cusptech.com/index.php?c=products2

I tried to get to recovery mode, but no luck until now. But just in case something bricks while testing or to optimizing the Rom, it would be great to have the update.img. For that I contacted the reseller, but get the normal bla bla bla. Its stable (yes of course :silly:) and no updates are planned and so on.
On youku.com I've found a video, where someone did the update http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU5NjkwNDEyNA==.html. So it must be possible somehow. But my Chinese is not the best, so I can't contact that guy :)

So if anybody has more informations of any type about these units, would be great if he shares.

For anyone who want more informations, here is a review on YouTube in Russian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pa0T8AsY5k. If someone knows Russian, maybe he could contact iqnavi.

Thanks

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 23,855
  • tshu.jpg
    tshu.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 25,987
  • infoseite.jpg
    infoseite.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 25,047
  • info.jpg
    info.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 24,979
  • unit.jpg
    unit.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 21,787
Reactions: hajali and ROMAD27

Airwin13

Jan 14, 2016
There are some small updates.

First: Rooting via Kingroot is possible.

Second: I've managed to get the SystemApps and found the Bundle ID's com.choiceway for the launcher and com.szchoiceway for other apps like radio. But google it, did not bring any results :mad:
Further I was able to decompile the settings APK and extract all factory Pin codes. For now, I won't post it public, to keep the risk that the manufacturer maybe changes them, as low as possible. But if you are interested in them, you can PM me anytime. If interest is increasing, I will post them here of course.

Last edited:

Airwin13

Jan 14, 2016
Update 3

With the root I've found some config XML Files. The files are all called "customer_***.xml". There are 12 of them. I think they control the GUI for the different resellers. So I have merged all options into one XML-File and got all the GUIs available. The two "Customers" with the bigger XML-FIles are OCCAR (奥车凯) and Carcool (车酷时代). I don't know if they are manufactures or resellers, but my circuit board is also labeled with OCCAR, so I think they are manufacturers. Searching with the Chinese names I found the websites of these two. http://www.occar.cn and http://www.carcoolera.com / http://www.sz-carcool.com. I tryed to contact them via the WeChat App, but they did not response. Maybe they don't speak English.

Is there anybody here, who speaks Chinese and could contact them for me, please?

Attachments

• circuit-board-occar.jpg
    circuit-board-occar.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 6,488
Last edited:

bonez_ru

Feb 4, 2014
Moscow
HI Airwin13!

I just ordered the same device for Ford Kuga 2014. I ordered it from other seller then you. Now DVD is on the way to me, but i got the firmware update.img from seller.
I have unpacked it with RKTOOLs and looked inside. Now there is 20 customers.xml files.
The first question is - can we add other languages then china and english?

Airwin13

Jan 14, 2016
Hi bonez,
thats awesome. One of the best news in 2017 until now ;) Since the start of this thread and today, I contacted nearly 12 resellers and manufacturers, without any luck. Could you please upload the update.img somewhere for me? I also would like to inspect it. Maybe i can preroot it, so that Kingroot is not needed anymore. Did he also tell you how to get into the recovery mode?

So they managed to get 8 new Resellers. Lets see, maybe they also added some new Interfaces.

Adding languages should be possible i think. I decompiled some Apps Like the Launcher.apk and Navisettings.apk. These two are building the main GUI. And there are lot of strings to translate :). Examples are at the Attachments. Then there are of course even more Apps like the Radio, Music, Movie and so on. So I think its possible, but means a lot of work.

I will send you a PM with the pin codes for the factory settings.

Great to finally see another user with these units :good:

Attachments

• Launcher.xml
    2.2 KB · Views: 2,120
  • NaviSettings.xml
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,187

Wadyas2009

Feb 6, 2017
Hi Airwin23.

I also purchased these Tesla Head units for my 2017 Toyota LC.

I too wanted to try and optimize these units as with 1GB ram things can get slow.

However I would like to note that out of the box my unit was already on version 5.1.1 however still shows up as KitKat ? It also has a date of 201612xx which is later? Hope this helps.

Also how did you root ? Really don't want to brick my new unit.

Also a interesting note is the ram mention 625/2G where on your screen shot shows 1GB. However when I look into running apps, my total ram is 1GB so not sure what is happening here.

typos1

• Apr 3, 2007
    UK
    Hi Airwin23.

I also purchased these Tesla Head units for my 2017 Toyota LC.

I too wanted to try and optimize these units as with 1GB ram things can get slow.

However I would like to note that out of the box my unit was already on version 5.1.1 however still shows up as KitKat ? It also has a date of 201612xx which is later? Hope this helps.

Also a interesting note is the ram mention 625/2G where on your screen shot shows 1GB. However when I look into running apps, my total ram is 1GB so not sure what is happening here.

These units use a Rockchip RK3188/PX3 which can take up to 2GB RAM. MTCB/C/D units also use this chipset and several of us in the MTCB forums have bought new RAM chips and upgraded to 2GB, from the pics it looks very likely that these units would take the same RAM modules.

Airwin13

Jan 14, 2016
    Hey Wadyas,

you are right, 1GB of RAM is really not the optimum, 2GB would be way better. But I think typos1 is also right and an RAM upgrade should be possible. If you are interested in that, I can took a picture of the other side from the mainboard, there you can see the RAM.

Where do you see thats its version 5.1.1? Could you make a screenshot? Until now I have only seen KitKat Versions of these units, would be cool if they updated it.

I rooted with the Kingroot.app. But you should be careful with that, once rooted its very hard to get rid of the Kingroot App again. Factory reset does not help in this case.

I think you should trust the Android information screen. The YXZ/2G Info is, as far as i know until now, only a string inside the Navisettings.apk and outputs the info depending on the vendor set in the customer.xml. So I would say its fake and your unit also has 1GB of RAM. You could also check it with the CPU-Z App.

Wadyas2009

Feb 6, 2017
    Andriod 5.1.1

Hey Wadyas,

you are right, 1GB of RAM is really not the optimum, 2GB would be way better. But I think typos1 is also right and an RAM upgrade should be possible. If you are interested in that, I can took a picture of the other side from the mainboard, there you can see the RAM.

Where do you see thats its version 5.1.1? Could you make a screenshot? Until now I have only seen KitKat Versions of these units, would be cool if they updated it.

I rooted with the Kingroot.app. But you should be careful with that, once rooted its very hard to get rid of the Kingroot App again. Factory reset does not help in this case.

I think you should trust the Android information screen. The YXZ/2G Info is, as far as i know until now, only a string inside the Navisettings.apk and outputs the info depending on the vendor set in the customer.xml. So I would say its fake and your unit also has 1GB of RAM. You could also check it with the CPU-Z App.

Spoke to the reseller. He mentioned they made the update to fix the issues with mirrorlink. Not sure about this as I could not get this working. Advisers to install MOB Interconnection service.??

Also how do I post the screen shots ? Usinf mobile version? Any other quick way?

Do you upgrade the Ram to 2GB?

Airwin13

Jan 14, 2016
    So did the reseller send you an update file or it was already installed, when you bought the unit?

Sorry I don't know what the "MOB Interconnection service" is. But I did some research on Google. Looks like it's a Framework used by the Mirrorlink (EasyConnect) App. But I don't know, how to fix that.

That's a bit difficult, because the statusbar is hidden by these units. You could install an APP from the Playstore or just do it oldschool and took a picture with your smartphone ;)

No, I'm still on 1GB. At the moment I don't have planed to upgrade.

Sep 8, 2015
    I have two update files for these units. The units I ordered are 10.4" Vertical oriented for 2015 Mustangs. I was able to get the software from the supplier, and I would be happy to provide people with the files, but I'm not allowed to post links to my Google Drive or Dropbox.

Also, we have already extracted the img files and checked the build.prop and everything we could find, but I'm not savvy enough to know, is there a way to remove the password for advanced options on the unit, by using the img files?

Reactions: Airwin13

Airwin13

Jan 14, 2016
    Oh thats cool. Could you mybe send me the links via PM, then I can post them for you if you like.

Why would you like to remove them? I will send you the codes.

Wadyas2009

Feb 6, 2017
    Headunit

So did the reseller send you an update file or it was already installed, when you bought the unit?

Sorry I don't know what the "MOB Interconnection service" is. But I did some research on Google. Looks like it's a Framework used by the Mirrorlink (EasyConnect) App. But I don't know, how to fix that.

That's a bit difficult, because the statusbar is hidden by these units. You could install an APP from the Playstore or just do it oldschool and took a picture with your smartphone ;)

No, I'm still on 1GB. At the moment I don't have planed to upgrade.

No came pre-installed. I asked for the update file but he didn't have it. I've got screen shots in the below link which I hope helps.

dropbox.com/sh/is9en84yi7lilr2/AADVXVArAvkdIZQI7-4DyZhia?dl=0[/url]

You mentioned that it will be different unrooting. Are you saying this will just take time or impossible? I want to disable allot of the programs to save Ram is that makes sense or is there a better way to do this?

Airwin13

Jan 14, 2016
    You mentioned that it will be different unrooting. Are you saying this will just take time or impossible? I want to disable allot of the programs to save Ram is that makes sense or is there a better way to do this?

Rooting is possible via Kingroot, like I said. It's just hard to get rid of it again, if you don't trust the Developer of Kingroot for example or because of any other reason.
    If you only want to save RAM and not Space on the ROM, then I would recommend to first try to uninstall or disable the unwanted apps via the settings menu. If you don't know how to do that, maybe this helps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puTFvKFNyH8

Airwin13

Jan 14, 2016
    Many thanks to PatrickHenninger!!! He organized two images. Since he is not allowed to post links at the moment, he asked me to do that for him.
    PatrickHenninger said:
    Right now I have the "base" image on my Dropbox here
    The more recent update is supposed to improve iPhone Mirroring functionality, and is here on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-1iB2_iueMEZml0VENyMU5XMVk/view?usp=drivesdk

I will try to get them both on Drive, but the older one seemed less relevant. ... and thanks for posting the links, hopefully they'll help someone on here.
    Until now, I have not flashed or inspected these images. So I can't give any further informations at the moment. If you decide to flash it, you are using it at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damage at your units.

Last edited:

toologic

Dec 16, 2013
    Moscow
    100dorog.ru
    Many thanks to PatrickHenninger!!! He organized two images. Since he is not allowed to post links at the moment, he asked me to do that for him.

Until now, I have not flashed or inspected these images. So I can't give any further informations at the moment. If you decide to flash it, you are using it at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damage at your units.

bad links :(

Sep 8, 2015
    After spending time with those files this weekend, the first is just the 4.4.4 image that came on my unit, the 2nd file is the 5.1 upgrade. The downside is, they are designed around the Mustang, so it will have a Mustang-themed boot screen, as well as a Mustang in the launcher.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Looking to root mine for more themes mine was only shipped with 2. Not sure which firmware to go with? I want to be on the latest firmware I can get on. Any help much appreciated

Here's my unit info:

You have already the most fresh firmware (april 2019). You can google about using ADB wifi to get root for your device. But You need to know theme numbers to add to customer.xml for selection. Or You can download Phoenix Radio stock firmware with unlocked themes. Also You can buy custom firmware with unlocked themes and more features.
      Make your choice :)
      I've been working on my 7.1.1 HU to get it to look and work how I like it but without using 3rd party software.
      This keeps it as fast and slick as possible... boots instantly from sleep with radio or music playing before I've started the engine.
      It uses a page of the top bar for 'what's playing' and GPS speed even when using maps or whatever. You can still scroll left<>right to bring up the shortcut icons as normal.
      Also changed the Radio to show the station name in large rather than frequency (which is now in the top bar)
      Big thanks to ShIvADeSt for the help on the top bar programming :good::good:
      For completeness, I'll show you the images ive changed on my unit, and list the mods done so far.

1) Changed the stereos 'boot screen' to the attached BootScreen.jpg
      2) Changed the stereos 'home screen logo' to the attached ZXWLOGO.png
      3) Modified EventCenter.apk to fix multiple typos and spelling/grammar mistakes
      4) Modified MusicPlayer.apk to remove 'Lyrics', make a single colour, fix some spelling/grammar mistakes, enlarge font sizes, change font colours, change player control buttons and their positions
      5) Currently trying to work on editing the TPMS app, but having issues when trying to install/update it after the mods.

PS: If you want to have a go at the modded MusicPlayer, you can checkout the git repo I setup, and build it using apktool

https://bitbucket.org/wishie/musicplayer-tesla-style-android-car-stereo/src/master/
      where is this option?

There is no such option. Need root and manually change some files.
      There are some small updates.

First: Rooting via Kingroot is possible.

Second: I've managed to get the SystemApps and found the Bundle ID's com.choiceway for the launcher and com.szchoiceway for other apps like radio. But google it, did not bring any results :mad:
      Further I was able to decompile the settings APK and extract all factory Pin codes. For now, I won't post it public, to keep the risk that the manufacturer maybe changes them, as low as possible. But if you are interested in them, you can PM me anytime. If interest is increasing, I will post them here of course.