• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

"Test access to protected storage" permission

Search This thread

uf21

Jun 5, 2012
What does it mean and what does it do? I have seen a few apk's with this permission and it sounds suspicious.

<<xda app>>

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
What does it mean and what does it do? I have seen a few apk's with this permission and it sounds suspicious.

So no developers or anyone knows what this permission does?

Bump. Someone has to know.

Rather than simply bumping your own post because you're too damn lazy to do anything yourself, you could have used Google :eek:

It took me 10 seconds to find this :rolleyes: ;-
This appears to be a side effect of simply needing to write to external storage. The only reason the app writes to storage is to store you high scores.

Reactions: uf21

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
Firstly thank you and Secondly I did search. I wrote what the permission says in Google to no avail.

That's OK, but you need to learn how to use Google. I simply types in (including the quotes);-

"Test access to protected storage" permission

and it was the fourth result (excluding this thread which appears at number 2 ;)

juicing

Dec 31, 2012
checkout the source code from 4.1.1.r1
frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/strings.xml

so basically it means the read permission.

<!-- Title of an application permission, listed so the user can choose whether they want to allow the application to do this. [CHAR LIMIT=30] -->
<string name="permlab_sdcardRead" product="nosdcard">test access to protected storage</string>
<!-- Title of an application permission, listed so the user can choose whether they want to allow the application to do this. -->
<string name="permlab_sdcardRead" product="default">test access to protected storage</string>
<!-- Description of an application permission, listed so the user can choose whether they want to allow the application to do this. [CHAR LIMIT=30] -->
<string name="permdesc_sdcardRead" product="nosdcard">Allows the app to test a permission for USB storage that will be availabe on future devices. </string>
<!-- Description of an application permission, listed so the user can choose whether they want to allow the application to do this. -->
<string name="permdesc_sdcardRead" product="default">Allows the app to test a permission for the SD card that will be available on future devices.</string>

Reactions: civicman76

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So no developers or anyone knows what this permission does?

Bump. Someone has to know.

Rather than simply bumping your own post because you're too damn lazy to do anything yourself, you could have used Google :eek:

It took me 10 seconds to find this :rolleyes: ;-
    This appears to be a side effect of simply needing to write to external storage. The only reason the app writes to storage is to store you high scores.
    checkout the source code from 4.1.1.r1
    frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/strings.xml

so basically it means the read permission.

<!-- Title of an application permission, listed so the user can choose whether they want to allow the application to do this. [CHAR LIMIT=30] -->
    <string name="permlab_sdcardRead" product="nosdcard">test access to protected storage</string>
    <!-- Title of an application permission, listed so the user can choose whether they want to allow the application to do this. -->
    <string name="permlab_sdcardRead" product="default">test access to protected storage</string>
    <!-- Description of an application permission, listed so the user can choose whether they want to allow the application to do this. [CHAR LIMIT=30] -->
    <string name="permdesc_sdcardRead" product="nosdcard">Allows the app to test a permission for USB storage that will be availabe on future devices. </string>
    <!-- Description of an application permission, listed so the user can choose whether they want to allow the application to do this. -->
    <string name="permdesc_sdcardRead" product="default">Allows the app to test a permission for the SD card that will be available on future devices.</string>