[TEST][ROM][4.2.2] Cyanogenmod 10.1 for Samsung Galaxy SL (Experimental) [07/03/2013]

Search This thread

loSconosciuto

Nov 21, 2011
Hi all:
And, finally, after that, I'll try to make Android better by porting LoSconosciuto patches from cm10 to cm10.1 (mostly OMX patches and system performance patches) in order to achieve the goal of having one decent updated ROM for out device.
I've already ported the OMX patches, but I think they are not perfect. I didn't use cm-10.1 that much, just a couple of hours.
Maybe you could comapare my changes with this commit, I see there are some little differences.

Anyway, most of the performance patches I'm using are already part of cm-10.1. I picked most of them from gerrit, but they are now merged, so you don't have to do anything. The only ones not included should be:
  • This (you have to manually modify the BoardConfig.mk because of the custom compiler flags I set. See device_patch.zip)
  • All the changes reverted with this commit except 0723288.

I know you are trying to port the opensource drivers, but in the meantime, if you want to use the prebuilt stuff, I've already ported my framework patches to make wpa_supplicant work as good as in my CM10 builds.

I didn't fix the build of hostapd, but if you include the one I build for CM10 in your builds (include tiap_drv.ko), WiFi tethering will work with this with no changes.

You can find everything here.

dhiru1602

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2010
Hi all:
Just wanted to keep you updated of how things are going as I'm just so busy with final exams at the high school and music studies that I haven't had time to work on this.
As I said, I'm not gonna work on the kernel 3 version of this ROM as there's an "official" release out there made by dhiru now. But I'll still be giving you updates of the kernel with latest dhiru's changes plus the smartassv2 governor and sio scheduler, just if some one wants it.
What I'll work on most in the next weeks (I end my exams in one week) is on the 2.6 kernel. My challenge is to make the native wl12xx drivers work on our current 2.6 kernel as that is the only way to fully fix WiFi and that is the way it should be done instead of using old, buggy, pre-built modules. Even dhiru hasn't been able to get it so I know it will be difficult but that's what I'm working on right now.
Right after that, I'll try to correctly update and implement the Bluetooth driver just as it is done on the 3.0 kernel and the way Texas Instruments tells it should be done. That should fix Bluetooth on 4.2 with kernel 2.6.
And, finally, after that, I'll try to make Android better by porting LoSconosciuto patches from cm10 to cm10.1 (mostly OMX patches and system performance patches) in order to achieve the goal of having one decent updated ROM for out device.

Well, as I had also said already, as soon as I get time, the first thing I'm gonna do is to update this entire thread or maybe close it and start a new one, I'll see what I do, and restart everything from the beginning, the build servers, the getcm server and to delete all the old work to just start from the beginning.
Then, after that, I'm gonna modify the getcm server to add a new update category: kernel, so that you can update just the kernel in the same way you do with the ROM, from settings.
And well, of course, I will use that new server for just 2.6 releases, for 3.0.8 kernel updates you'll have to manually install them from recovery.

And that's my planning for this summer, I hope to get to do as much as I can.

I'll update everything again as soon as I have time.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using xda premium

One question.. Why?

Soon or later I would iron out all the bugs in 3.0 kernel. In that case, what is the use of putting in so much of effort on an old kernel?

LoLaTiOn

Feb 2, 2012
Tours
Wow great dev's parts ^^

I think David just has a great respect for you Dhiru
It to be useful in providing an alternative between your development and that of loSco

We are aware that your unions could produce wonders
In the present case we can say that our good old SLC is not the abandonment
Just look at the other sections to see all the worlds by providing the maximum in its limits

Everyone has time of need help if I could make myself useful

Last edited:

rodero95

Jul 11, 2012
Hi all again:
@loSconosciuto
Yes, I know that, I had already ported some of your patches that weren't already merged on cm-10.1 like the OMX and wireless enum ones some time ago, before you released the patches ported for cm-10.1 but, as the code changes, the OMX ones, for example, can't be applied cleanly, that's what I meant, I'll have to manually apply them.
And yes, with the releases I've made with working WiFi, it works thanks to your patches, I've got different branches and the code from the "stable" branch includes your patches. Thank you for that!
@dhiru1602
The one and only reason I'm still working with the old kernel is what I said at the beginning of this all some months ago: I'm just learning. I started all of this because I wanted to learn about kernel and android development, how everything works and how things should be made.
As I am not a professional like you, I prefer to work to "old, well known code", at least for now, just for learning.

What I'm working on right now on the wl12xx porting is to add the necessary board code to make them work, I'm compiling them from a Quarxk2k fork, who has already ported them to the 2.6 kernel used on the Motorola defy and has fixed the compiler errors. The thing is, I think I have all the board code in place, taking as a base the code on TI's wiki, observations on Quarx changes and code from your 3.0.8 kernel, but it is still not working.
When looking at dmesg I can see the kernel gives an error when trying to reserve a GPIO pin which I guess could be related to this. Maybe there's some old code which is using this pin before the new code does? I don't know. I'll have a look at it as soon as I have time, but I think I'll be able to make them work... I just need more time to double-check that everything is OK.
If any of you is interested, the branch on my github repos is the jb-wl12xx
(On my repos, jellybean or jb refers to 4.2.2 over 2.6 kernel and cm-10.1 4.2.2 over 3.0.8 kernel).

Last edited:

Gondya bhau

Jan 28, 2012
Mumbai
wow....its been a long time since we had such a dev group chat....:D:D:D

u guys should stay more in contact with each other....know what each one is doing...as it did here, it could save a lot of time...

Keep up the good work guys :good::good::good::good:

Reactions: kralin

Hetalk

Sep 30, 2011
Ahmedabad
wow....its been a long time since we had such a dev group chat....:D:D:D

u guys should stay more in contact with each other....know what each one is doing...as it did here, it could save a lot of time...

Keep up the good work guys :good::good::good::good:

Just my exact thoughts

Woah. Message sent. I need not say no more.

Reactions: kralin

tejadakenneth

Jul 30, 2012
pretty good conversation between developers. now, we clearly understand whats happening between one to others. there's no doubt on this third quarter of the year we will be having super SL that can be line up to the existing S3 :)

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

xezeroglu

Nov 17, 2011
Astara
why this topic have been abandoned???

Rodero works very good paralelly with dhiru.

when 2 dev work at the rom, development grows quickly and end soon and successfully.

I respect Rodero for his great works and request to him to come back to developing.

special thanks

GRACIAS AMIGO RODERO :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.2 (Jellybean), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

* PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE TOPIC BEFORE FLASHING THE ROM.
    * THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE BY DHIRU, IT IS BUILT BY ME WITH HIS CODE AND FIXES BY OTHERS AS BASE. DON'T BUG HIM OR ADI WITH PROBLEMS WITH THIS ROM UNLESS THEY'RE RELATED WITH THE KERNEL.

ROM Downloads
    Get them from my own GetCM Server

Google Apps - Download from ROM Manager or from Here

NOTE:
    To enable developer options and performance menu to change the CPU scheduler or other options go to Settings-->About phone and click many times the Build number.

Upgrading instructions
    From previous releases of CM10.1
    1. Go to Settings-->About phone-->Cyanogenmod Updates.
    2. Select to show new or all updates (including unstable ones, as I upload all the test builds as nightlies).
    3. Download any release you want from the ones it'll show.
    4. Reboot to recovery.
    5. Wipe data if you want to (it's not obligatory).
    6. Flash the update (which is located in /emmc/cmupdater).
    7. Flash Google Apps.
    8. Reboot.

Any other AOSP ROM (CM7/MIUI/CM9)
    1. Reboot to Recovery.
    3. Wipe Data / Factory Reset.
    4. Select the ROM zip from your SD Card and flash.
    5. Go to Advanced -> Reboot Recovery.
    6. Mounts and Storage -> Format dbdata
    7. Flash Google Apps.
    8. Reboot

Upgrading from CM10
    It is possible to update directly from CM 10 Alpha 5 or Alpha 4 without wiping data, if you upgrade from any pre-Alpha 4 CM10 based ROM, your data will be wiped due to new MTD partitioning system. Anyway, a wipe is always recommended although it is not necessary.
    1. Shut down the phone.
    2. As reboot doesn't work on the new kernel, take off the battery and reinsert it.
    3. Boot from recovery (Vol+, Home, Power button).
    4. Select the ROM zip from your SD Card and flash.
    5. Flash Android 4.2 Gapps.
    6. Once it have finished, take the battery off the device again.
    7. Boot the phone.
    8. If you didn't wipe data, go to Settings-->Applications-->All-->Clock (not cLock, which is the lockscreen widget), and delete app data from that menu. This is needed due to Android 4.2 native improvements to the clock are incompatible with Cyanogenmod's improvements to the clock on CM10.
    9. Enjoy CyanogenMod 10.1!

Sources
    https://github.com/rodero95
    https://github.com/teamhacksung
    https://github.com/dhiru1602
    https://github.com/adipat
    https://github.com/sconosciuto

Thanks to
    codeworkx
    Dhiru1602
    Teamhacksung
    waleedq
    Adi_Pat
    LoSconosciuto (I couldn't have done this without his great patches. Thank you so much!)
    LoLaTiOn (For helping me testing the ROM)

Please, note that I started this as an internal release for me just to learn and test things, I'm just releasing it for the people to test the goodness of CM-10.1 and see how it works on our device and due to the interest shown by all that people who have requested it. Thank you all for the interest!
    Hi guys!
    I've finally get time to work on the OMX libraries for Android 4.2.2 on kernel 2.6.35 and have successfully built the ROM using loSconosciuto's kernel as base.
    This is just for those who want stability and battery life.
    I'm gonna apply the rest of LoSconosciuto's patches (as some of them are not needed and others have already been merged in CM 10.1) and release a first version with kernel 2.6.

Changelog
    Test 1 - 27022013 - Experimental (with 3.0 Kernel).
    -This first release includes omapzoom 3.0.8 Kernel by Dhiru1602 and Adi_Pat.
    -I've decided to label it as Test instead of Alpha as this is NOT a release made by Dhiru and since he hasn't released his CM 10.1 yet, I wanted to avoid confusion.
    -Can be upgraded from CM10 (Read the notes below).
    -This ROM is like CM 10 Alpha 5 so, of course, it is still experimental. I won't consider it a daily driver yet.
    -Also, It is configured to use my own GetCM server (which is still not available yet), so you would be able to update from new releases directly from the system and it would tell you when a new update is available. Although I don't think it should work due to the reboot bug on Kernel 3.0.8.

Test 2 - 07032013 - Experimental (with 3.0 Kernel).
    -First build released through my GetCM server.
    -Updated from latest sources from CyanogenMod.
    -Updated WiFi driver (WiFi tethering still doesn't work).
    -Updated bluetooth firmware binary (though it's still not tested to check if it fixes bluetooth).
    -Latest changes in the kernel made by Dhiru, which try to fix the USB bug.
    -Added Smartassv2 CPU governor, and made default.
    -Added SIO scheduler, and made default.

Test 3 - 04042013 - Experimental (with 3.0 Kernel).
    -Latest changes from upstream (cyanogenmod) and Dhiru (kernel).
    -Latest updates from CyanogenMod to wpa_supplicant.
    -Included this patch from LoSconosciuto.

Test 3 B - 04042013-B - Experimental (with 3.0 Kernel).
    -All the above changes, plus:
    -This patch by LoSconosciuto, which enables the device off mode. I've not included this in the "main" release as he has told me this could cause more SODs and I've isolated it in this release until further testing is done.

Test 3 C - 05042013 - Experimental (with 3.0 Kernel).
    -All the above, plus:
    -Added Spanish translation to DeviceParts.
    -I've implemented the navigation bar as I've noticed that, with time, the home button wears and would get broken and this is a way to avoid that. What I don't like about it is that it takes screen space but the Extended Desktop feature included in this CM build solves this problem. You can configure it to leave the System Bar at the top and the device will behave like always.

Test 3 D - 05042013-B - Experimental (with 3.0 Kernel).
    -Little changes from CM repos.
    -Reverted the patch that makes the device unable to wake up or show weird lines on the screen.
    -All the above, the battery temperature bug, extended desktop and Pie controls.

Known bugs
    -Almost everything that works in CM 10 Alpha 5 works here.
    -Except Bluetooth, which is still not working due to the new bluetooth stack that comes with Android 4.2. I'm working on it.
    -There were some issue with WiFi, which I have fixed, so it should work well now. In case you find any problem, report it here.
    -There are some issues with WiFi tethering.
    CyanogenMod 10.1 Screenshots

screenshot2013030106232.png

(Version Number)
    screenshot2013030107541.png

(Home)
    screenshot2013030108020.png

(Multitasking)
    screenshot2013030107400.png

(Unlocking screen)
    screenshot2013030107394.png

(Widget on the lockscreen)
    screenshot2013030122325.png

(Settings app)
    screenshot2013030107543.png

(Notification panel)

Screenshots by Martin.la.gib. Thanks!
    Re: [TEST][ROM][4.2.2] Cyanogenmod 10.1 for Samsung Galaxy SL (Experimental) [28/02/2

Hello all!
    Again, I'm busy with exams this week and I don't have so much time to work on this.
    Anyway, yesterday I made a new build with updates in the kernel and with the smartassv2 governor and sio scheduler built in and configured as default, and after a complete day of working with it I'm getting extremely good results and performance. The system is really really smooth and works really well. I didn't want to release test two until I fixed WiFi tethering (changes in the WiFi driver are built in this builds' kernel) but seeing this new build improves system performance so much, I think I'm going to release it tomorrow for you guys if I have time.
    Also, a user has taken the time to make some screenshots of the system, so I'll post them as well tomorrow.
    Thanks for the support and sorry for the time between releases but I'm busy with exams.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone