[Testers needed] Prevent WP7 from Relocking on HTC, LG, Dell & Samsung!

Search This thread

kabumm

Dec 12, 2010
worked on T-Mobile Germany HTC 7 Mozart unbranded with HTC_Europe ROM.

Thanks a lot :)

MixerNoMore

Jan 18, 2010
Arnhem
Well, the problem was that not all the phones could access and modify registry until yesterday. ;)

Now HTC, Samsung and Lg registries can be modified with Advanced Configuration Tool. Dunno about Dell. So the strings involved can be modified directly into the phones now, but - after that - you have to install a new certificate for the 127.0.0.1 domain.

My tweak, listed in the first post of this thread, is (in my humble opinion) easier and lasts after an upgrade of the firmware, too.

Ok, two more questions: can I delete the original line: 192.***.178.** developerservices.windowsphone.com ?
In other words: replace that line with the ones you mentioned?

Also, won't Microsoft block it again when you login to some Zune/Marketplace service from your phone itself?

LEO70 kept on locking when connecting to Zune all the time. But till now I just disabled my network connection before connecting my phone to my laptop through USB and haven't had any problems with it relocking sinze.

Excuse my n00biness: just trying to learn. ;)

Last edited:

Morpheus90

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 8, 2009
Lecce
www.ugopiemontese.eu
Ok, two more questions: can I delete the original line: 192.***.178.** developerservices.windowsphone.com ?
In other words: replace that line with the ones you mentioned?

Also, won't Microsoft block it again when you login to some Zune/Marketplace service from your phone itself?

LEO70 kept on locking when connecting to Zune all the time. But till now I just disabled my network connection before connecting my phone to my laptop through USB and haven't had any problems with it relocking sinze.

Excuse my n00biness: just trying to learn. ;)

Yes, you have to replace that line!

I haven't experienced any relock connecting from the phone to Zune/Marketplace yet... I assume it only happens when connecting the phone to the pc client. I'll check with Wireshark, anyway! ;) Nice suggestion, thank you!

movan

Nov 22, 2006
Yesterday, tried to do this unlock.
My device (HD2 WP7) was unlocked using Chevron but sometimes I need to relock and unlock once more. I made all modifications with register on device (chages with *.unlock.me) and deployed using HTC deployer. All perfect, reboot phone, and now I can't unlock my device. Trying to do this using Chevron and see only one message - Error with zune or pin. Before register fix Chevron works perfect!
Anybody can answer how to solve this problem? All installed soft wants to be uninstalled and not running, because phone is locked now. :( :( And now I cant run any game or programm, cant install anything using Tom XAP Installer.

Help to solve this, or the one solving is phone reset? Thanx.

Last edited:

movan

Nov 22, 2006
Thanks, but made all this step by step. And now have problems with unlocking :(

p.s. I wm power user ) use different WM (and now Android/WP7) devices more than 10 years and can't do something wrong as in post about step by step instruction.

timmymarsh

Senior Moderator - Emeritus
Mar 26, 2007
Just one More
Thanks, but made all this step by step. And now have problems with unlocking :(

p.s. I wm power user ) use different WM (and now Android/WP7) devices more than 10 years and can't do something wrong as in post about step by step instruction.

How have you tried to unlock? Take a look at your hosts file (as in my guide) and tell me what you get........might be better to post in my thread so not to derail this thread ;)

Morpheus90

Jan 8, 2009
Lecce
www.ugopiemontese.eu
Yesterday, tried to do this unlock.
My device (HD2 WP7) was unlocked using Chevron but sometimes I need to relock and unlock once more. I made all modifications with register on device (chages with *.unlock.me) and deployed using HTC deployer. All perfect, reboot phone, and now I can't unlock my device. Trying to do this using Chevron and see only one message - Error with zune or pin. Before register fix Chevron works perfect!
Anybody can answer how to solve this problem? All installed soft wants to be uninstalled and not running, because phone is locked now. :( :( And now I cant run any game or programm, cant install anything using Tom XAP Installer.

Help to solve this, or the one solving is phone reset? Thanx.

Well, the problem is the registry mod that changes developerservices.windowsphone.com and developerservices.windowsphone-int.com with *.unlock.me

Restore the original values and delete the lines in the first post of this thread from your hosts file. Reboot your pc and unlock with Chevron, then apply my tweak and reboot again.

After this, the phone will be fine ;)

Last edited:

cremains

Jan 6, 2008
I've got an LG Quantum. Not working for me. It locks again.
I followed all the steps. Whenever I open the HTC Hub again, it tells me to uninstall have to re-unlock the device again with ChevronWP7.

movan

Nov 22, 2006
Well, the problem is the registry mod that changes developerservices.windowsphone.com and developerservices.windowsphone-int.com with *.unlock.me

Restore the original values and delete the lines in the first post of this thread from your hosts file. Reboot your pc and unlock with Chevron, then apply my tweak and reboot again.

After this, the phone will be fine ;)

How I can restore original values if my phone is locked for install using XAP Installer and I can't unlock it using Chevron? :)

TripleMPower

Jun 25, 2008
I have the LG Optimus 7 (E900) and I followed the guideline and I also can't manage to have the phone locked for long.

Morpheus90 I sent you a Private Mail regarding this today. Can you please help me out?

Morpheus90

Jan 8, 2009
Lecce
www.ugopiemontese.eu
I have the LG Optimus 7 (E900) and I followed the guideline and I also can't manage to have the phone locked for long.

Morpheus90 I sent you a Private Mail regarding this today. Can you please help me out?

Hi TripleMPower,

to answer your questions, I use Windows 7 to unlock, but any other version equal or superior to XP Sp3 is fine, too! Also, the unlock guide said the phone should be in airplane mode, but I had no problems keeping 3g data connection on (in Italy, with Vodafone).

Solving your problem shouldn't be hard. Follow the following instructions to restore the phone to the unlocked status:

1. Restore write and modify permissions on the hosts file, than delete all lines referred to developerservices.windowsphone-int.com and developerservices.windowsphone.com from it. Save, close the editor and reboot your pc.

2. Once the computer boots, connect your phone via USB and sync with Zune, than unlock with Chevron.

3. Immediately disconnect your phone without syncing again, then apply my tweak to the hosts file and reboot the pc.

4. Now you are free to sync while your phone is in airplane mod with your pc, without relock danger.

Hope this helps!

TripleMPower

Jun 25, 2008
Hi TripleMPower,

to answer your questions, I use Windows 7 to unlock, but any other version equal or superior to XP Sp3 is fine, too! Also, the unlock guide said the phone should be in airplane mode, but I had no problems keeping 3g data connection on (in Italy, with Vodafone).

Solving your problem shouldn't be hard. Follow the following instructions to restore the phone to the unlocked status:

1. Restore write and modify permissions on the hosts file, than delete all lines referred to developerservices.windowsphone-int.com and developerservices.windowsphone.com from it. Save, close the editor and reboot your pc.

2. Once the computer boots, connect your phone via USB and sync with Zune, than unlock with Chevron.

3. Immediately disconnect your phone without syncing again, then apply my tweak to the hosts file and reboot the pc.

4. Now you are free to sync while your phone is in airplane mod with your pc, without relock danger.

Hope this helps!

I am going to give it a shot again bro.

So you suggest I switch to aeroplane mode when trying to unlock the phone and then stay in aeroplane mode when using your mode to remain unlocked and also when deploying apps to the phone.

By the way, if we deploy games and stuff will microsoft ban our gamertag? Is there a way we can change the gamertag now or do we have to reset the phone to do that?

TripleMPower

Jun 25, 2008
It worked!

I was able to sideload 10 programs without problems. However after intalling 10 programs I am unable to deploy anymore programs.

Morpheus90

Jan 8, 2009
Lecce
www.ugopiemontese.eu
It worked!

I was able to sideload 10 programs without problems. However after intalling 10 programs I am unable to deploy anymore programs.

Use Advanced Configuration Tool for this ;)

I am going to give it a shot again bro.

So you suggest I switch to aeroplane mode when trying to unlock the phone and then stay in aeroplane mode when using your mode to remain unlocked and also when deploying apps to the phone.

By the way, if we deploy games and stuff will microsoft ban our gamertag? Is there a way we can change the gamertag now or do we have to reset the phone to do that?
Well, I don't know if Microsoft actually bans gamertags if you deploy free xbox games to your phone...

But I'm a developer, so I can suggest/remember everyone one thing for sure: never use warez. It's a HUGE damage, expecially for indipendent developers, not paid and supported by large companies (like I am).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

I tought a simple and universal method to avoid WP7 relocking problem: edit the Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file on your pc after unlocking your device with CrevronWP7. Let me explain.

Technical explaination, you can skip to the next paragraph if you're not interested in

I used open source Network analyzer Wireshark on my pc to discover which domains Zune connect once a WP7 is connected via usb (while WiFi is off on the device).
    They where:
    developerservices.windowsphone-int.com
    developerservices.windowsphone.com

catalog.zune.net (-> media info, covers, apps info etc...?)
    socialapi.zune.net (-> Zune social access)
    commerce.zune.net (-> Zune market access)
    download.windowsupdate.com (-> updates check)
    download.microsoft.com (-> updates check)
    update.microsoft.com (-> updates check)
    login.live.com (-> Live.com access)

Of course the first 2 domains are the ones responsible of the relock, they are also listed in each phone registry. Editing the Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file on your pc make your pc unable to connect to the real M$ servers, pointing it to your ip on the local loopback net (127.0.0.1) instead.

How to edit the file mentioned
    1. Unlock your phone with Chevron before doing anything, then disconnect it from your pc. If it's already unlocked you can go on to the next step.
    2. With text editors like Notepad or Notepad++ (absolutely NOT Wordpad or Word) open the
      C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
      file on your pc. Eventually, modify "C" letter with the matching one of the partition where Windows system is. Check modify and write permissions for your user from file properties before, of course, otherwise you will not be able to save.
    3. Add the following lines at the end of the file:
      127.0.0.1 developerservices.windowsphone.com
      127.0.0.1 developerservices.windowsphone-int.com​
      then save it and close the editor. Modify user permissions for the hosts file disabling write and modify capability, then reboot your pc.
    4. Turn Off WiFi on your WP7 device before connect it to Zune, then Sync via usb. It should not relock anymore.

It's working fine on my LG Optimus 7 and HTC HD7 since I bought them, about a month ago (It's true that I am a registered student developer since January 7, but I never registered any phone of mine to AppHub). A friend of mine also tried this method and worked. A blog author I know is instead having troubles with his Omnia 7, his phone is still relocking.

I need some feedback from you, xda members. Try this method and report your impressions in this topic! ;)
    Link to the Italian version: http://www.sevenphone.it/2011/01/18/come-impedire-relock-wp7-zune/
    I'm happy to go forward and test this, but I'm just wondering (and this might be a lame n00b question): why not (also) delete it from the phone?

Or have I already done this when I installed WP7 on my HD2?

Well, the problem was that not all the phones could access and modify registry until yesterday. ;)

Now HTC, Samsung and Lg registries can be modified with Advanced Configuration Tool. Dunno about Dell. So the strings involved can be modified directly into the phones now, but - after that - you have to install a new certificate for the 127.0.0.1 domain.

My tweak, listed in the first post of this thread, is (in my humble opinion) easier and lasts after an upgrade of the firmware, too.