Testing GadgetBridge with ZeTime support

Search This thread

lightwars

Oct 19, 2010
Wuppertal
Code:
[SIZE="3"]*** Disclaimer
This is an unoffical build of Gadgetbridge and is for the advanced user.
I am not responsible for anything bad, which could happen to your smartphone or smartwatch.

[COLOR="red"]Do not mirror my builds![/COLOR] Please post a link to this thread instead.[/SIZE]

Introduction
Gadgetbridge is an Android (4.4+) application which will allow you to use your Pebble, Mi Band, Amazfit Bit and HPlus device (and more) without the vendor's closed source application and without the need to create an account and transmit any of your data to the vendor's servers. (from https://gadgetbridge.org/)

Here I will present you the Gadgetbridge app with additional support for the MyKronoz ZeTime.
The purpose of the thread is to reach some testers, further improve the support for that smartwatch and find people interested in developing or enhance the user experience.

Find here an image to show you that it works:
attachment.php

Features
This things should work with your ZeTime:
  • synchronize the time
  • fetch activity data: steps, sleep, heart rate and store them in a database
  • refresh weather data
  • get notifications: calls, sms, messenger, mails
  • control music playback from the watch
  • set user info (height, weight, age, gender)
  • set daily targets/goals (steps, calories, distanc, active time)
  • setup watch for either wrist
  • set display on duration
  • set alarms
  • do not disturb settings
  • set the signal types
  • set inactivity alert
  • automatic hear rate measuring and setting heart rate limits
  • set activity tracking, date and time format, ...
mail notifications seem broken in firmware 1.7 build 41

Installation instructions
  • install Gadgetbridge
  • close and terminate the offical app
  • open Gadgetbridge and search for the watch
  • press connect

Changelog
28.09.2018: Add a whole lot more configuration options like signal type, do not disturb, alarm, ... see github commits.
12.09.2018: Icons added, set daily target (goals) and user info on the watch, select on which wrist you wear the watch, set display on duration (max. 18h). Add checkbox to preserve or delete activity data from the watch.
18.07.2018: Rework and improve some functions, fix time stamps for the activity data, fix weather icons for firmware 1.7 build 41.
06.07.2018: Inital alpha release with some basic function support.

Downloads
Alpha4 test version - 0.29.1 - 28.09.2018
download here
Alpha3 test version - 0.29.1 - 12.09.2018
download here
Alpha2 test version - 0.28.0 - 18.07.2018
download here
Alpha test version - 0.27.0 - 06.07.2018
download here
Gadgetbridge has merged the inital support, so you can also use the offical version found on f-droid or at their repo.

Sources
Gadgetbridge
ZeTime Support

FAQ
Q: Is all data fetch from the watch and stored on my phone?
A: Yes, as far as I know all data gets save to the database. But the data is not delete from the watch so you can sync this data with the offical app too. The database can also be export, see the Gadgetbridge wiki.

Q: Can I configure my watch from within Gadgetbridge, say to wear it on the other hand?
A: At the moment configuration or calibration of the watch is not supported, but in future update this may come.

Q: I found something weird, what should I do now?
A: Please get us a log to show what is the problem, see the Gadgetbridge wiki for help.

Thanks To/Credits
Code:
[SIZE="3"]Andreas Shimokawa, Carsten Pfeiffer, Daniele Gobbetti - the core team of Gadgetbridge
all contributors to Gadgetbridge
Sauce Maison - for open the [URL="https://github.com/Freeyourgadget/Gadgetbridge/issues/1099"]"ZeTime support request"[/URL] and providing his protocol findings[/SIZE]

XDA:DevDB Information
GadgetBridge with ZeTime Support, App for the Smart Watches

Contributors
lightwars
Source Code: https://github.com/Lightwars/Gadgetbridge-1

Version Information

Created 2018-07-06
Last Updated 2018-09-29

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180706-232409.png
    Screenshot_20180706-232409.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,602
Reactions: johnraynor

johnraynor

Mar 29, 2010
Time out screen

Plse consider changing display always on on the watch for watchfaces despite the decrease of batterylife,when you make configuration of the watch possible.
Thnx.

scarshi

Feb 11, 2008
Oh this is what I've been hoping for! I'll be testing this out. My Zetime just sits in the drawer now anyway, so nothing to lose. It's a great looking watch, but with very minimal hardware and very poor MyKronoz App support. Any way you guys can rig the vibration to multiples or patterns?

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

The fact you support music apps and not just streaming only is amazing! I can finally use Neutron Player or Pulsar+ on my Note 8! Thank you!

lightwars

Oct 19, 2010
Wuppertal
Plse consider changing display always on on the watch for watchfaces despite the decrease of batterylife,when you make configuration of the watch possible.
Thnx.
The maximal screen timeout value is 18 hours. I've had a short test and waited more than 5 minutes, to proof that it exceeds the maximal value settable via the official app.
I will let the user set a screen timeout in seconds to his/her likings in gadgetbridge.
Sadly the firmware of the watch starts dimming the screen only when half of the set time is up.

BPM

Mar 4, 2006
well done. will test ASAP. do you think its possible to rewrite the source of the watch firmware to add other widgets?

i decompiled the source of the zeTime app some month ago, but i was not able to find which files where transfered to the watch when a firmware update is available.

do you think it is possible to decompile the firmware and make changes there?

lightwars

Oct 19, 2010
Wuppertal
well done. will test ASAP. do you think its possible to rewrite the source of the watch firmware to add other widgets?

i decompiled the source of the zeTime app some month ago, but i was not able to find which files where transfered to the watch when a firmware update is available.

do you think it is possible to decompile the firmware and make changes there?
You will not found it in the app itself, the firmware is loaded from a server. If you wish to have a look, here is a link with some firmware versions I collected: https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1L5-We9f1NqJVsOqJPDC06v9bucprxj7h?usp=sharing
The most up to date firmware files are missing... Maybe I will soon download the newest ones and add them. In a Zip-file you find different firmware files. The picture bin files have something to do with fonts, Smileys, background and so on. Then there is the firmware of the main processor. Firmware for the sensors and firmware for the bluethooth chip. It may vary from archive to archive. This is just some guessing.

What one can do is dissamble the firmware file, but you have to know some assembler to do some modifications.

If we had the source, than it would be possible to add widgets.

smaiz

Jul 9, 2018
Hey !
I'm just getting back to ZeTime & Gadgetbridge and I see that you've made some really great improvements!
Do you need any help in the protocol reverse-engineering? I've seen that you've managed to figure out the parameters commands, is there anything else I can try to do?

lightwars

Oct 19, 2010
Wuppertal
Thanks for update, sadly the download is not working. Always getting 404 not found.
Re-uploaded the app, now it should work, do not know what was wrong...

Hey !
I'm just getting back to ZeTime & Gadgetbridge and I see that you've made some really great improvements!
Do you need any help in the protocol reverse-engineering? I've seen that you've managed to figure out the parameters commands, is there anything else I can try to do?
For sure! It is better to have another pair of eyes looking over the protocol. I have copied your work to the wiki of gadgetbridge so we can put everything together we know so far. But haven't got time to update, what I have coded.
Testing new functions if you like.

scarshi

Feb 11, 2008
Used the first rollout of Gadgetbridge that was compatible with Zetime. Very impressed back then. However, last I checked since wearing it a while ago, the bluetooth was always disconnecting/reconnecting couple times an hour. Extremely annoyed at the constant disconnected notifications. Both are sync/bluetooth problems with Gadgetbridge and the official MyKronoz app. And - Yes - my phone and watch are right next to each other or in the same room and I've already tried unpairing/resetting/rebooting/uninstalling all apps and reinstalling.

Anyone else have this problem and/or solutions? If it's the bluetooth chip or other hardware then I may just have to move on to a Galaxy Watch (might do anyway, but I never like to bin perfectly good looking but faulty devices).

lightwars

Oct 19, 2010
Wuppertal
However, last I checked since wearing it a while ago, the bluetooth was always disconnecting/reconnecting couple times an hour. Extremely annoyed at the constant disconnected notifications. Both are sync/bluetooth problems with Gadgetbridge and the official MyKronoz app.
How do you know or check for the buggy connection? Just one app should be runnning at a time, otherwise there might be some interference...
Best to do a logcat maybe like this:
Code:
adb logcat BluetoothGatt:D *:S
to only see the discovery, connetion messages of the bluetooth stack. So you and others can see how much reconnections are taking place.

I have attached my log of about 5 1/2 hours. You see at 11:21 I was too far away from the phone to connect.

Further infos like android version, would be good. If the gadgetbridge app have some problems with the connection, then it is best to issue this at the gadgetbridge repo. If the problem is the watch, then only MyKronoz can fix their firmware...

Attachments

• bluelog.txt
    30.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

lightwars

Oct 19, 2010
Wuppertal
@smaiz
I think MyKronoz did change some time back the way they send notifications to the watch. They have new header codes for email, social and maybe sms, which are divided in header and subject... or anything like that.
Maybe we should also look at that, I may also be totally wrong.
A different big thing are firmware updates and watch face uploads.

smaiz

Jul 9, 2018
I don't really see a difference... But In the protocol description on my computer, there is 2 more bytes at the end of a notification message compared to the one on the wiki. I've noted "always '0200'", but now I find always 'ff00'. I don't really know the purpose of these bytes. Apart from that, I don't see any modification. Did you have any update ? (I'm using ZeTime Petite "A1.0(R2.4T0.3H0.5) (Build 34)", they have different version numbers for ZeTime and ZeTime Petite, maybe there is other differences...)

Also on the updates and watch faces part, I also think this is the next big thing ;) But I think we should first work on the parameters (I don't know where you are on this, is there still a lot missing ?)

lightwars

Oct 19, 2010
Wuppertal
I don't really see a difference... But In the protocol description on my computer, there is 2 more bytes at the end of a notification message compared to the one on the wiki. I've noted "always '0200'", but now I find always 'ff00'. I don't really know the purpose of these bytes. Apart from that, I don't see any modification. Did you have any update ?

Also on the updates and watch faces part, I also think this is the next big thing ;) But I think we should first work on the parameters (I don't know where you are on this, is there still a lot missing ?)
Ok, thought there might be... I havn't got an update on this, because it wasn't looking at notifications at the moment. They are working and working on some parameters were my focus.

Some of them are more complicated than others...
At the moment we set alarm reminders, but a menu is missing to set different reminders, MK has 10 different ones minus the alarm. I know it works just the same as an alarm.
I know about setting the time zone, snooze time, text size, language and the metrics, which are missing in the app. I think I know how to switch the night mode background. I hope other parameters are listed in the OP.

I also want to implement a feature not available by the MyKronoz App: Someone might want to set the watch hands some minutes ahead of the time to be not too late or something like that.

scarshi

Feb 11, 2008
Problem seems solved

How do you know or check for the buggy connection? Just one app should be runnning at a time, otherwise there might be some interference...
Best to do a logcat maybe like this:
Code:
adb logcat BluetoothGatt:D *:S
to only see the discovery, connetion messages of the bluetooth stack. So you and others can see how much reconnections are taking place.

I have attached my log of about 5 1/2 hours. You see at 11:21 I was too far away from the phone to connect.

Further infos like android version, would be good. If the gadgetbridge app have some problems with the connection, then it is best to issue this at the gadgetbridge repo. If the problem is the watch, then only MyKronoz can fix their firmware...

I was typing a bunch of jargon of software details on my current set-up and also that I have paired the Zetime with an old iPhone and my old Galaxy S7 Edge (currently using a Note 8) which all show the same disconnection/reconnection problems when decided to take a dive into the hardware of the watch and found something very interesting.

Immediately on removing the back plate/heartrate monitor/charger I noticed that the internal battery was installed backwards. The plastic cap that is supposed to shield the battery from the board was put on the wrong side and the metal housing of the battery was pressed to the board with nothing to shield it. As the battery connector was on the right side, I realised that whoever had had the job to put on the battery's plastic plate had put it on the reverse side. I then pulled the plastic cap off the battery and adhered it to the proper side facing towards the internal watch board. After reconnecting the battery and reconnecting the watch backplate back on I've re-paired it to the Note 8 and now ... no more random disconnections!

It's just amazing how a small oversight on assembly at the factory can cause so many problems that require such an easy solution. Its just weird that I thought to take this watch apart before getting crazy-mad-frustrated at software not working and found a solution!

Thanks for all your info mate! I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out. Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    [SIZE="3"]*** Disclaimer
    This is an unoffical build of Gadgetbridge and is for the advanced user.
    I am not responsible for anything bad, which could happen to your smartphone or smartwatch.

[COLOR="red"]Do not mirror my builds![/COLOR] Please post a link to this thread instead.[/SIZE]

Introduction
    Gadgetbridge is an Android (4.4+) application which will allow you to use your Pebble, Mi Band, Amazfit Bit and HPlus device (and more) without the vendor's closed source application and without the need to create an account and transmit any of your data to the vendor's servers. (from https://gadgetbridge.org/)

Here I will present you the Gadgetbridge app with additional support for the MyKronoz ZeTime.
    The purpose of the thread is to reach some testers, further improve the support for that smartwatch and find people interested in developing or enhance the user experience.

Find here an image to show you that it works:
    attachment.php

Features
    This things should work with your ZeTime:
    • synchronize the time
    • fetch activity data: steps, sleep, heart rate and store them in a database
    • refresh weather data
    • get notifications: calls, sms, messenger, mails
    • control music playback from the watch
    • set user info (height, weight, age, gender)
    • set daily targets/goals (steps, calories, distanc, active time)
    • setup watch for either wrist
    • set display on duration
    • set alarms
    • do not disturb settings
    • set the signal types
    • set inactivity alert
    • automatic hear rate measuring and setting heart rate limits
    • set activity tracking, date and time format, ...
    mail notifications seem broken in firmware 1.7 build 41

Installation instructions
    • install Gadgetbridge
    • close and terminate the offical app
    • open Gadgetbridge and search for the watch
    • press connect

Changelog
    28.09.2018: Add a whole lot more configuration options like signal type, do not disturb, alarm, ... see github commits.
    12.09.2018: Icons added, set daily target (goals) and user info on the watch, select on which wrist you wear the watch, set display on duration (max. 18h). Add checkbox to preserve or delete activity data from the watch.
    18.07.2018: Rework and improve some functions, fix time stamps for the activity data, fix weather icons for firmware 1.7 build 41.
    06.07.2018: Inital alpha release with some basic function support.

Downloads
    Alpha4 test version - 0.29.1 - 28.09.2018
    download here
    Alpha3 test version - 0.29.1 - 12.09.2018
    download here
    Alpha2 test version - 0.28.0 - 18.07.2018
    download here
    Alpha test version - 0.27.0 - 06.07.2018
    download here
    Gadgetbridge has merged the inital support, so you can also use the offical version found on f-droid or at their repo.

Sources
    Gadgetbridge
    ZeTime Support

FAQ
    Q: Is all data fetch from the watch and stored on my phone?
    A: Yes, as far as I know all data gets save to the database. But the data is not delete from the watch so you can sync this data with the offical app too. The database can also be export, see the Gadgetbridge wiki.

Q: Can I configure my watch from within Gadgetbridge, say to wear it on the other hand?
    A: At the moment configuration or calibration of the watch is not supported, but in future update this may come.

Q: I found something weird, what should I do now?
    A: Please get us a log to show what is the problem, see the Gadgetbridge wiki for help.

Thanks To/Credits
    Code:
    [SIZE="3"]Andreas Shimokawa, Carsten Pfeiffer, Daniele Gobbetti - the core team of Gadgetbridge
    all contributors to Gadgetbridge
    Sauce Maison - for open the [URL="https://github.com/Freeyourgadget/Gadgetbridge/issues/1099"]"ZeTime support request"[/URL] and providing his protocol findings[/SIZE]

XDA:DevDB Information
    GadgetBridge with ZeTime Support, App for the Smart Watches

Contributors
    lightwars
    Source Code: https://github.com/Lightwars/Gadgetbridge-1

Version Information

Created 2018-07-06
    Last Updated 2018-09-29
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures