Question Teyes CC3 reverse camera help!

Search This thread

Stephen2898

Jul 20, 2021
Hey guys
My first post on here so I’m hoping someone can help
Received the Teyes CC3 in the post today for my Astra GTC I’m not sure where to connect the power wire to the back of the radio for the reverse camera
There isn’t any loose wires on the loom for the power and the instructions just say to connect it to G3 ACC which I’ve attached a photo of but it isn’t clear of what to do
Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 6274312A-F163-43B9-B684-43C9777CA70B.png
    6274312A-F163-43B9-B684-43C9777CA70B.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,427

mastrv

Jul 1, 2010
In summary, the rear camera needs power when you want to use it and the head unit needs a signal (i.e. 12V) to determine when to switch the display to the rear camera.

The diagram shows that:
  • Power is provided to the rear camera whenever there is power on ACC...which means all the time the radio is on:
    • On the head unit side, the red wire is connected to G3, ACC, to send the 12V to the rear.
    • On the rear camera side, the red wire is connected to the red wire from the rear camera so that the camera receives the 12V and is powered.
  • The 12V signal to the rear camera is provided to the head unit when there is power on the backup lights:
    • On the rear camera side, the yellow wire is connected to the backup lights. Whenever you put your car in reverse and the backup lights get power, the 12V from the lights go to the head unit on this yellow wire.
    • On the head unit side, the yellow wire goes to G5 which signals the head unit to display the video from the rear camera
This is assuming you use the connection wire provided by TEyes that includes the extra yellow and red wires on both ends in addition to the yellow RCA jack that provides the video from the rear camera to the head unit.

Does the above make sense? Note that the diagram shows that the rear camera will always have power. I've seen comments that it's not a good thing to always have your camera powered as it may reduce the life of the camera.

Did your car already have a rear camera or are you adding a camera where none previously existed? If none existed, then you pretty much have to use the wire provided. If your car already had a backup camera, then other issues come up. Also, your car probably already has wiring going from the rear to your old head unit and you could use that.

Remember, this is only advice and you should confirm any of the information given to you. You take full responsibility for anything that you do... :)

FYI, I don't have a CC3. I have an older SPro / CC2 but the wiring for the rear camera is the exact same.

Reactions: checksum123

gabol8000

Jul 28, 2021
Hello, I appreciate your deatailed answer mastrv :) I also have a question with that topic. I attached diagram that shows connections on Teyes CC2 Plus.

There is a Note at top: "Connection on the yellow line will not be needed if you already have a canbus box and the reverse control line (G5 area) has been connected to the canbus box."

I have ordered a set for Chevrolet Cruze from AliExpress. I received a Raise canbus box (RZC as at the picture) in the set and according to the diagram and note, I do not have to connect the yellow wires.

Maybe it is about only the yellow wire on the head unit side but on the camera site I have to connect to Reverse Light Power Supply?

Please tell me how it should be.

Attachments

• map-en1.png
    map-en1.png
    304.6 KB · Views: 1,151

mastrv

Jul 1, 2010
What year is your car? Does your car already have a rear view camera? If so, does your car have any wiring specifically going from the rear camera to the front / old head unit? Here's a portion of the schematic for my car. It shows specific wiring in the harness to the (old) head unit. I used this to connect to G5 to trigger the new head unit to know to display the video from the rear camera:

1627473906586.png

You should know the wiring schematics for your car. Information is sent through canbus. Different car makes and models provide different information through the canbus. Depending on your car, it may also send the reverse status for your car. My car is a 2012 and the reverse information does not go through canbus. I run my head unit without a canbus module. Not sure if you can override this and have your head unit ignore this information or if you need to.

I'd say to try without connecting that wire and if that doesn't work, then hook it up as needed...unless you know for sure the information that goes through the canbus.

NOTE: My original rear camera built-in rear camera runs at 6.5V so I also had to adjust the voltage to 8.6V or a little over that so that the head unit recognized it. I believe the Android head units need at least that to trigger displaying the video on the screen. Yours may be different so you should verify that. However, if you use a camera your purchased or that was provided by the vendor, it probably runs at 12V so you should not have to make any changes to voltage. Again, you should verify this. I did testing on the kitchen table before installing the head unit. I also did voltage measurements with a multi-meter on the old head unit wiring to verify voltages, etc.

As always, this is only advice and you are responsible for anything you do. If you're not comfortable doing this, have someone else install or wire up the head unit that knows how.

Reactions: gabol8000

gabol8000

Jul 28, 2021
Thanks for your answer, my car is Chevrolet Cruze (year: 2009), it neved had build in camera or any camera. Unfortuantelly I don't have wiring schematics but I try to do things as on video tutorial created by Teyes:

I'm just not sure about the reversing mode.

mastrv

Jul 1, 2010
So, you got the canbus module. Are you sure you need the canbus module? What do you need it for? Usually, the following are some of the functions that canbus can provide for the purposes of a head unit:
  • dynamic parking lines when in rearview on the screen
    • as you don't have a factory rear camera, you don't have dynamic rear parking guides
  • reverse engaged status
    • with no factory rear camera, this status is obtained from backup lamps as described in diagram/instructions
  • I believe some even have video through canbus
    • no factory rear camera so the video comes through the new wire you must install
  • radar from rear sensors
    • do you have these? If so, do you absolutely need them on the head unit?
  • steering wheel control buttons
    • do you have steering wheel control buttons?
    • If you don't have these buttons, you can purchase a separate control with buttons and wiring and connect it directly to your new head unit such as this one:
    • If you do have these buttons, you'll need to find out where the wires for the buttons are or if the steering wheel control information comes through the canbus. If you can't find out about the canbus info but know where the wires are, you can try to connect the wires to the key1/key2 wires on the head unit. If you don't know where the wires are...you can always purchase a separate steering wheel control module as if you did not have any steering wheel controls
  • controlling automatic climate control
    • is yours automatic or manual?
    • this does not normally matter. As long as you can set the climate controls without the need for the head unit, then you can live without having this info go through canbus.
    • my car has an automatic climate control with it's own buttons and settings. it did not go through a screen for any of its settings.
You should try to get the schematics. Try looking around on through Google. Never know what you can find. The schematics can answer some of the above questions if you don't know.

As your car did not have a factory rear view camera, it most likely means you have to put in the wire from the new rear camera you install to the head unit. If you don't need the canbus, you'll have to wire the yellow wire as described in the instructions. If you need the canbus, then you don't wire the yellow wire as also indicated in the diagram/instructions.

mastrv

Jul 1, 2010
@gabol8000 I just had a quick look at the Cruze install link you posted. It did not use a canbus module and they connected the wire to the backup lights for G5.

gabol8000

Jul 28, 2021
Well I will use canbus box bacause I want my steering wheel buttons to work. So in that case you think I don't have to connect to 12V Reverse Light Power Supply?

mastrv

Jul 1, 2010
If you are using a canbus module, the instructions say not to connect it...correct?

So, don't connect it and see what happens. Nothings going to break. At worst, there will be no image. At best, you'll be finished.

Then...if no image, it probably means your canbus doesn't have that info. Connect the wires and the image should appear.

mastrv

Jul 1, 2010
The connection diagram is pretty much the same for the SPro, CC2 and the CC3 with maybe some minor variations. In any case, the question is what information does your canbus provide to the head unit.

Let us know what happens.

gabol8000

Jul 28, 2021
I have installed the device and everything works fine but with some minor issues with 1 or 2 applications but it is thing for another subject.

I did not connected the yellow wire on both sides :) there is no need to do it - the canbus is providing informations about reversing. Camera works great.

The only little problematic thing was that I had to strip the insulation from the G3 ACC wire so I could connect it with camera ACC wire.

startas

Mar 15, 2011
Yeah, i dont really understand the difference between yellow cable + red cable and only red cable combos on camera video cable either.

When you have a video cable with both red and yellow additional cables, then camera gets the power from teyes device (red cable from camera power cable connects to red cable from video cable, and near teyes device, red cable from video cable connects to a loose power cable (number 3 on scheme) that comes from teyes power cable bundle), and yellow cable acts as rear gear detection switch - yellow cable near camera connects to rear driving lamp cable of a car, and the yellow cable near teyes device connects to a loose cable (number 5 on scheme) that comes from teyes power cable bundle. Then when you turn on rear gear, teyes gets signal from rear driving lamp, turns itself into special mode for camera only, and sends power to the camera. This method works, i have done it.

But when camera has a video cable with only red additional wires coming from it, then i dont get it - do you need to connect camera power cable to a car cable that always has power, or to a rear driving lamp power, and then connect red cable as a trigger wire ? Is there a difference of camera getting the power from car directly, or from teyes device ? Why there are 2 variants of rear camera video cables ?

Last edited:

Bob_Sanders

Yeah, i dont really understand the difference between yellow cable + red cable and only red cable combos on camera video cable either.

When you have a video cable with both red and yellow additional cables, then camera gets the power from teyes device (red cable from camera power cable connects to red cable from video cable, and near teyes device, red cable from video cable connects to a loose power cable (number 3 on scheme) that comes from teyes power cable bundle), and yellow cable acts as rear gear detection switch - yellow cable near camera connects to rear driving lamp cable of a car, and the yellow cable near teyes device connects to a loose cable (number 5 on scheme) that comes from teyes power cable bundle. Then when you turn on rear gear, teyes gets signal from rear driving lamp, turns itself into special mode for camera only, and sends power to the camera. This method works, i have done it.

But when camera has a video cable with only red additional wires coming from it, then i dont get it - do you need to connect camera power cable to a car cable that always has power, or to a rear driving lamp power, and then connect red cable as a trigger wire ? Is there a difference of camera getting the power from car directly, or from teyes device ? Why there are 2 variants of rear camera video cables ?
The yellow cable is the TRIGGER signal from the reverse light to the head unit, which tells the head unit to change its input from what ever it is presently on, to it reverse input. The red cable is POWER (12 volts) going to the cam so it can power up. (If you have CAN BUS and a can bus adapter, then the yellow in most cases doesn't need to be connected. The can bus will deliver the reverse signal).

It doesn't really make a difference where your cam gets its power from (the red wire), just so long as you are feeding it 12 volts any time you wish to use the cam. It's just more convenient getting it from a dedicated connector on the head unit.

Reactions: checksum123

startas

Mar 15, 2011
The yellow cable is the TRIGGER signal from the reverse light to the head unit, which tells the head unit to change its input from what ever it is presently on, to it reverse input. The red cable is POWER (12 volts) going to the cam so it can power up. (If you have CAN BUS and a can bus adapter, then the yellow in most cases doesn't need to be connected. The can bus will deliver the reverse signal).

It doesn't really make a difference where your cam gets its power from (the red wire), just so long as you are feeding it 12 volts any time you wish to use the cam. It's just more convenient getting it from a dedicated connector on the head unit.

Ok, but how about all the cars that dont have CAN BUS - there are plenty of rear cameras for those cars that have video cable without yellow wire, only red one. Do you have to use red wire as trigger wire, and give camera power directly from the car (power from always on source, or from rear driving lamp) ?

Bob_Sanders

Ok, but how about all the cars that dont have CAN BUS - there are plenty of rear cameras for those cars that have video cable without yellow wire, only red one. Do you have to use red wire as trigger wire, and give camera power directly from the car (power from always on source, or from rear driving lamp) ?
I have a video cable with only a red cable... no yellow. I also have can bus so I didn't need the yellow, but if I didn't have can bus, I would have to run my own yellow wire.... either that or use the red one as the trigger wire and run another power wire from somewhere.

hawk30

May 31, 2010
Just installed Teyes CC3 with video converter box in my Wrangler JL 2021, to use the factory reverse camera.
Had to try few ways to connect it, but when you take a moment, then realize it is simple to do.

If anyone has issues - let me know, I can share my experience.

P.S. I did confuse 2 factory connectors (rear cam and radio antenna - last one is the thicker one). Turned out the factory rear cam was the tiny one. Otherwise make sure to connect to separate yellow CAMER IN RCA plug, and do not cut pink wire on converter box.

Simonjames91

Nov 11, 2021
Just installed Teyes CC3 with video converter box in my Wrangler JL 2021, to use the factory reverse camera.
Had to try few ways to connect it, but when you take a moment, then realize it is simple to do.

If anyone has issues - let me know, I can share my experience.

P.S. I did confuse 2 factory connectors (rear cam and radio antenna - last one is the thicker one). Turned out the factory rear cam was the tiny one. Otherwise make sure to connect to separate yellow CAMER IN RCA plug, and do not cut pink wire on converter box.
I have the same issue I think, I have a Toyota Hilux SR5 rear camera is not working I have can bus installed could you share?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disadvantage:
    1) If OEM camera is low resolution, the image could appear bad on the larger screen.
    Well... to be fair, it should be mentioned that ANY camera using RCA will appear at a lower resolution. RCA only supports standard definition (if I remember correctly, that is a max of 720x480(?) )

Those cams which are advertising "1080P" and then show an rca connection in the pictures... well.... maybe the cam itself is a 1080p cam, but the head unit sure isn't seeing that.

For higher definitions, you need usb or hdmi
    In summary, the rear camera needs power when you want to use it and the head unit needs a signal (i.e. 12V) to determine when to switch the display to the rear camera.

The diagram shows that:
    • Power is provided to the rear camera whenever there is power on ACC...which means all the time the radio is on:
      • On the head unit side, the red wire is connected to G3, ACC, to send the 12V to the rear.
      • On the rear camera side, the red wire is connected to the red wire from the rear camera so that the camera receives the 12V and is powered.
    • The 12V signal to the rear camera is provided to the head unit when there is power on the backup lights:
      • On the rear camera side, the yellow wire is connected to the backup lights. Whenever you put your car in reverse and the backup lights get power, the 12V from the lights go to the head unit on this yellow wire.
      • On the head unit side, the yellow wire goes to G5 which signals the head unit to display the video from the rear camera
    This is assuming you use the connection wire provided by TEyes that includes the extra yellow and red wires on both ends in addition to the yellow RCA jack that provides the video from the rear camera to the head unit.

Does the above make sense? Note that the diagram shows that the rear camera will always have power. I've seen comments that it's not a good thing to always have your camera powered as it may reduce the life of the camera.

Did your car already have a rear camera or are you adding a camera where none previously existed? If none existed, then you pretty much have to use the wire provided. If your car already had a backup camera, then other issues come up. Also, your car probably already has wiring going from the rear to your old head unit and you could use that.

Remember, this is only advice and you should confirm any of the information given to you. You take full responsibility for anything that you do... :)

FYI, I don't have a CC3. I have an older SPro / CC2 but the wiring for the rear camera is the exact same.
    What year is your car? Does your car already have a rear view camera? If so, does your car have any wiring specifically going from the rear camera to the front / old head unit? Here's a portion of the schematic for my car. It shows specific wiring in the harness to the (old) head unit. I used this to connect to G5 to trigger the new head unit to know to display the video from the rear camera:

1627473906586.png

You should know the wiring schematics for your car. Information is sent through canbus. Different car makes and models provide different information through the canbus. Depending on your car, it may also send the reverse status for your car. My car is a 2012 and the reverse information does not go through canbus. I run my head unit without a canbus module. Not sure if you can override this and have your head unit ignore this information or if you need to.

I'd say to try without connecting that wire and if that doesn't work, then hook it up as needed...unless you know for sure the information that goes through the canbus.

NOTE: My original rear camera built-in rear camera runs at 6.5V so I also had to adjust the voltage to 8.6V or a little over that so that the head unit recognized it. I believe the Android head units need at least that to trigger displaying the video on the screen. Yours may be different so you should verify that. However, if you use a camera your purchased or that was provided by the vendor, it probably runs at 12V so you should not have to make any changes to voltage. Again, you should verify this. I did testing on the kitchen table before installing the head unit. I also did voltage measurements with a multi-meter on the old head unit wiring to verify voltages, etc.

As always, this is only advice and you are responsible for anything you do. If you're not comfortable doing this, have someone else install or wire up the head unit that knows how.
    So, you got the canbus module. Are you sure you need the canbus module? What do you need it for? Usually, the following are some of the functions that canbus can provide for the purposes of a head unit:
    • dynamic parking lines when in rearview on the screen
      • as you don't have a factory rear camera, you don't have dynamic rear parking guides
    • reverse engaged status
      • with no factory rear camera, this status is obtained from backup lamps as described in diagram/instructions
    • I believe some even have video through canbus
      • no factory rear camera so the video comes through the new wire you must install
    • radar from rear sensors
      • do you have these? If so, do you absolutely need them on the head unit?
    • steering wheel control buttons
      • do you have steering wheel control buttons?
      • If you don't have these buttons, you can purchase a separate control with buttons and wiring and connect it directly to your new head unit such as this one:
      • If you do have these buttons, you'll need to find out where the wires for the buttons are or if the steering wheel control information comes through the canbus. If you can't find out about the canbus info but know where the wires are, you can try to connect the wires to the key1/key2 wires on the head unit. If you don't know where the wires are...you can always purchase a separate steering wheel control module as if you did not have any steering wheel controls
    • controlling automatic climate control
      • is yours automatic or manual?
      • this does not normally matter. As long as you can set the climate controls without the need for the head unit, then you can live without having this info go through canbus.
      • my car has an automatic climate control with it's own buttons and settings. it did not go through a screen for any of its settings.
    You should try to get the schematics. Try looking around on through Google. Never know what you can find. The schematics can answer some of the above questions if you don't know.

As your car did not have a factory rear view camera, it most likely means you have to put in the wire from the new rear camera you install to the head unit. If you don't need the canbus, you'll have to wire the yellow wire as described in the instructions. If you need the canbus, then you don't wire the yellow wire as also indicated in the diagram/instructions.
    When I try to connect DMP9 to the car GND, it look seem good.