Question Teyes Radio App - missing icons, station information, and How to use

Search This thread

mjcummins

Nov 19, 2012
Bowen, Queensland, Australia 4805
I thought I would put this post here so we can all get the Teyes Radio App working. I've seen small sections mentioning this, but I've followed those posts down a black hole.
Let use this thread to sort it out properly, as the documentation clearly isn't available freely (in English anyway).

The Missing Station Icon & Information Issue

First Facts I Know

1. On the radio app, bottom right hand side is a small cloud icon. This should, if the details for your area are in the Teyes radio database, download 180x180 bmp images, radio station name, your location, and update a file -> /fmbd/fmbd.txt with a numbered list of each station. Excellent video here -> Setting the Teyes CC3 Radio Station Icons
  2. If the above process doesn't work, you are directed to submit the radio stations details, your location, and a 180x180 BMP (Can have transparency) image for the logo. https://teyes.ru/radio/
  3. 1662531391004.jpeg
  4. Once, that information is processed and approved, your Radio Station buttons should work.
  5. But there are suggestions of a manual work around.
    1. Create the fmbd.txt file by yourself using the following format
    2. IMPORTANT:-
      1. Put a vertical bar at the end of each line except the last one, and no spaces before or after commas.
      2. All radio frequencies must be in the format XXX.XX.
        1. (A single or no decimal place will not work)
    3. 1662646739138.png
    4. Also create 180x180 BMP images for each station (Can have transparency) .
    5. Copy fmbd.txt to the Head Unit's /fmbd folder, and overwrite what is there.
    6. Copy each BMP to the same location, with names corresponding to the stations number in fmbd.txt. EG 001.BMP, 002.BMP, etc
    7. Either reset the Head Unit, or close the Radio app via "Settings, Device, Apps", find the Radio app in the list, and Force Close (Top Right)
    8. Once rebooted start the Radio app, and the buttons should populate.

And "How To" use the interface (What are all those options?)
1662532860886.png

1. Seek Buttons: Tap to step, hold for auto-seek
  2. Band Selection: Cycle through FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 with each press. Total of 18 FM and 12 AM stations! Amazing
  3. Skip through a sample each Pre-set station.
  4. Receiver Sensitivity - Normal and Local. LOCAL-> When there is interference caused by a intense electric field around the transmitting antenna of the broadcasting station, etc., select this setting
  5. Stereo/Mono switch - Why you would want to make a stereo signal mono seems redundant
  6. Program TYpe - Some stations put a digital encoding on the program type and you can scan for pre-defined program types like rock, news, jazz, etc.
  7. Traffic Announcement - refers to the broadcasting of a specific type of traffic report on the Radio Data System
  8. Alternative Frequency - When AF function is ON, the unit automatically switches to the frequency where the reception status of the station you are currently listening to becomes the best
  9. Settings - Obvious (I should go through there later and work out how it all operates right?)
  10. Cloud Services - For downloading pretty icons and information for your channels.
In Conclusion
Well, it is an amazing sounding radio system, and works really smoothly.
Hopefully the issue of having pretty buttons sorts itself out. But I believe users are going to have to help out T'eyes with completing their Cloud database.
Just wondering if people want a guide to creating the icons made. Let me know.
Radio is fixed.png

This has taken a while, so if you find this useful please "like", or "Angry Face Emoji" and let me know if there are edits to be made in the above waffle

THANKS!!!
  • Robbo69 for pointing out that the fmbd.txt file had to have vertical bars at the end of every line except the last one
  • thesuffering for correcting the BMP size from 150x150 to 180x180
  • davmurr for mmaking me be specific about the Radio Frequency format

Last edited:

Robbo69

Sep 10, 2014
Perth Western Australia
I thought I would put this post here so we can all get the Teyes Radio App working. I've seen small sections mentioning this, but I've followed those posts down a black hole.
Let use this thread to sort it out properly, as the documentation clearly isn't available freely (in English anyway).

Disclaimer: There is probably errors in this post. Please respond kindly, and I'll continue to edit and improve the content.

First Facts I Know
  1. On the radio app, bottom right hand side is a small cloud icon. This should, if the details for your area are in the Teyes radio database, download 150x150 bmp images, radio station name, your location, and update a file -> /fmbd/fmbd.txt with a numbered list of each station. Excellent video here -> Setting the Teyes CC3 Radio Station Icons
  2. If the above process doesn't work, you are directed to submit the radio stations details, your location, and a 150x150 BMP image for the logo. https://teyes.ru/radio/
  3. View attachment 5706039
  4. Once, that information is processed and approved, your Radio Station buttons should work.
    1. Create the fmbd.txt file by yourself using the following format (Based on -> Forum post about "fmbd.txt" hand editing
    2. View attachment 5706035
    3. Also create 150x150 BMP images for each station.
    4. Copy fmbd.txt to the Head Unit's /fmbd folder, and overwrite what is there.
    5. Copy each BMP to the same location, with names corresponding to the stations number in fmbd.txt. EG 001.BMP, 002.BMP, etc
    6. Either reset the Head Unit, or close the Radio app via "Settings, Device, Apps", find the Radio app in the list, and Force Close (Top Right)
    7. Once rebooted start the Radio app, and the buttons should populate.
Problem with the above procedure
Well, honestly I've tried the manual method, and it didn't work for me. If others can offer advice please do.

View attachment 5706053
  2. Band Selection: Cycle through FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 with each press. Total of 18 FM and 12 AM stations! Amazing
  4. Receiver Sensitivity - Normal and Local. LOCAL-> When there is interference caused by a intense electric field around the transmitting antenna of the broadcasting station, etc., select this setting
  5. Stereo/Mono switch - Why you would want to make a stereo signal mono seems redundant
  6. Program TYpe - Some stations put a digital encoding on the program type and you can scan for pre-defined program types like rock, news, jazz, etc.
  7. Traffic Announcement - refers to the broadcasting of a specific type of traffic report on the Radio Data System
  8. Alternative Frequency - When AF function is ON, the unit automatically switches to the frequency where the reception status of the station you are currently listening to becomes the best
  9. Settings - Obvious (I should go through there later and work out how it all operates right?)
  10. Cloud Services - For downloading pretty icons and information for your channels.
In Conclusion
Hopefully the issue of having pretty buttons sorts itself out. But I believe users are going to have to help out T'eyes with completing their Cloud database.

This has taken a while, so if you find this useful please "like", or "Angry Face Emoji" and let me know if there are edits to be made in the above waffle

Your "manual" method may not work because you have left off the "|" character at the end of each line (except the last) in the fmbd.txt file..

• Love
Reactions: mjcummins

IceFragmatic

Aug 17, 2007
Auckland
I used the website to upload most of the logos for Auckland, New Zealand. I did this late last year/early this year and it worked well. Took about 24hrs for the logos to be approved and available to download.

mjcummins

Nov 19, 2012
I used the website to upload most of the logos for Auckland, New Zealand. I did this late last year/early this year and it worked well. Took about 24hrs for the logos to be approved and available to download.
Wow, that pretty good turn around.. Thanks for the feedback.
I wiped out my manual work, force closed radio, reset the head unit, and had a look if they had put mine on the cloud.
Kiwi's must be more liked than Aussies?

mjcummins

Nov 19, 2012
I noticed a weird issue with the radio app when I went on a hour long drive to Airlie Beach to catch up with a friend today.

I'm belting out tunes using VLC player, and on three occasions, without me touching anything, up pops the radio app to take over.
When the Radio intruded it was in like a auto-scan state? Went for about four seconds, then vanished. VLC came back to the foreground, and was silent for about three seconds and then started pumping out tunes again.

Again, I didn't touch anything during these episodes. Anyone else seen this behaviour? Or is the radio just messing with me now?

mjcummins

Nov 19, 2012
Okay. Got a question on the fmbd file usage..
Can you have two lines referring to the same graphic?
For example:
001,Bowen,,TripleM,98.30|
002,Bowen,,ABC News Radio,96.70|
002,Airlie Beach,,ABC News Radio,93.90|
001,Airlie Beach,,Triple M,92.30

Would it work, or should I just make copies of the bmp's?

davmurr

Aug 29, 2022
I have created the fmbd.txt file and populated it, see excerpt below.

The full file has 41 lines with a pipe (|) character at the end of each line except the last one. As you can see there are some duplicates as a particular station can be broadcast over two or three frequencies so some of the BMP images are duplicated but each has its own unique number to suit the line number assigned in the text file. I know I can only assign a maximum of 18 fm stations and 12 am stations at a time.

When I load the images and fmbd.txt file into the fmbd folder, reboot the CC3, start the radion and select the cloud I get a message stating it has found 41 stations and shows the frequency and correct image in the pop-up box.

However, that is as far as I can get as the station names and images do not self populate the main screen and I cannot find a way to make it happen. On the main screen I still get the frequencies along the bottom below the 6 "default" selection icons, exactly as it was before I loaded the text file and images into the fmbd folder.

Any suggestions on how to complete the last part would be most welcome.

fmbd.jpg

mjcummins

Nov 19, 2012
I did the same error as you. Thanks for bringing it up. I will update the first post yet again.

All radio frequencies must be in the format XXX.XX. (A single or no decimal place will not work)

Sorry about that

mjcummins

Nov 19, 2012
I have created the fmbd.txt file and populated it, see excerpt below.

The full file has 41 lines with a pipe (|) character at the end of each line except the last one. As you can see there are some duplicates as a particular station can be broadcast over two or three frequencies so some of the BMP images are duplicated but each has its own unique number to suit the line number assigned in the text file. I know I can only assign a maximum of 18 fm stations and 12 am stations at a time.

When I load the images and fmbd.txt file into the fmbd folder, reboot the CC3, start the radion and select the cloud I get a message stating it has found 41 stations and shows the frequency and correct image in the pop-up box.

However, that is as far as I can get as the station names and images do not self populate the main screen and I cannot find a way to make it happen. On the main screen I still get the frequencies along the bottom below the 6 "default" selection icons, exactly as it was before I loaded the text file and images into the fmbd folder.

Any suggestions on how to complete the last part would be most welcome.

View attachment 5708619
I did the same error as you. Thanks for bringing it up. I will update the first post yet again.

All radio frequencies must be in the format XXX.XX. (A single or no decimal place will not work)

Sorry about that

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com

Does anyone know what the third field is supposed to be?
These files are used to create a json, with the following entries (example from a 679 entries json file for NL I made for my Mekede, but not used anymore as the FYT radio is a ****ty solution anyway in countries with active RDS-AF):
Code:
{
            "freqName": "NPO Radio 1",
            "freqLogo": "gr017",
            "freqNum": 10430,
            "cityName": "Jirnsum",
            "userRadios": []
        },
Note that in a json the order is not important as every key/value is mentioned as such.
The order in that fmbd.txt filed IS important and the third field in that fmbd.txt is the field "userRadios" which is actually a list/array (hence the square brackets).
However, I have never seen it being used or detected how it is used in the (decompiled) radio apk.

Reactions: marchnz

mjcummins

Nov 19, 2012
These files are used to create a json, with the following entries (example from a 679 entries json file for NL I made for my Mekede, but not used anymore as the FYT radio is a ****ty solution anyway in countries with active RDS-AF):
Code:
{
        },
Note that in a json the order is not important as every key/value is mentioned as such.
The order in that fmbd.txt filed IS important and the third field in that fmbd.txt is the field "userRadios" which is actually a list/array (hence the square brackets).
However, I have never seen it being used or detected how it is used in the (decompiled) radio apk.
Two things occur to me.
1. Further amazement of how deeply you know this equipment.
2. And if it's an unused field normally, why the programmers didn't just skip it and not even process that field.

Thanks mate, case closed.

Panamanian

Nov 24, 2022

First Facts I Know

1. On the radio app, bottom right hand side is a small cloud icon. This should, if the details for your area are in the Teyes radio database, download 180x180 bmp images, radio station name, your location, and update a file -> /fmbd/fmbd.txt with a numbered list of each station. Excellent video here -> Setting the Teyes CC3 Radio Station Icons
  2. If the above process doesn't work, you are directed to submit the radio stations details, your location, and a 180x180 BMP (Can have transparency) image for the logo. https://teyes.ru/radio/
      1. Put a vertical bar at the end of each line except the last one, and no spaces before or after commas.
    3. View attachment 5707151
    6. Copy each BMP to the same location, with names corresponding to the stations number in fmbd.txt. EG 001.BMP, 002.BMP, etc
    7. Either reset the Head Unit, or close the Radio app via "Settings, Device, Apps", find the Radio app in the list, and Force Close (Top Right)

View attachment 5706053
In Conclusion
View attachment 5707135

THANKS!!!
  • Robbo69 for pointing out that the fmbd.txt file had to have vertical bars at the end of every line except the last one
Great guide.

Just a simple question, the email you provide while uploading the radio info and station image MUST match the one you sign in your google account?

iamcanadian

Apr 6, 2008

First Facts I Know

3. View attachment 5707151

View attachment 5706053
In Conclusion
View attachment 5707135

THANKS!!!
Thank you. this worked great!. The same concept worked for the AM Radio band, but the format was XXXX (no dot).

bulaviti

Jan 6, 2022
Thank you. this worked great!. The same concept worked for the AM Radio band, but the format was XXXX (no dot).
Dumb question - what zone should be used for the radio stations in Australia and in Sydney for particular? Thanks.

I will need to upgrade my Teyes CC3 (bought in mid 2021) as it does not find any when I click on the cloud icon and click on the refresh icon.

iamcanadian

Apr 6, 2008
Dumb question - what zone should be used for the radio stations in Australia and in Sydney for particular? Thanks.

I will need to upgrade my Teyes CC3 (bought in mid 2021) as it does not find any when I click on the cloud icon and click on the refresh icon.
What do you mean by zone? All you have to do is generate the fmbd.txt as explained in the first post. If you are interested in the Sydney location, your radio channels will look like:
001,Sydney, ,NAME_OF_CHANNEL,XX.XX|

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

First Facts I Know

3. 1662531391004.jpeg
      3. 1662646739138.png

1662532860886.png

In Conclusion
    Radio is fixed.png

THANKS!!!

Disclaimer: There is probably errors in this post. Please respond kindly, and I'll continue to edit and improve the content.

First Facts I Know
    1. On the radio app, bottom right hand side is a small cloud icon. This should, if the details for your area are in the Teyes radio database, download 150x150 bmp images, radio station name, your location, and update a file -> /fmbd/fmbd.txt with a numbered list of each station. Excellent video here -> Setting the Teyes CC3 Radio Station Icons
    2. If the above process doesn't work, you are directed to submit the radio stations details, your location, and a 150x150 BMP image for the logo. https://teyes.ru/radio/
      1. Create the fmbd.txt file by yourself using the following format (Based on -> Forum post about "fmbd.txt" hand editing
      2. View attachment 5706035
      3. Also create 150x150 BMP images for each station.
      4. Copy fmbd.txt to the Head Unit's /fmbd folder, and overwrite what is there.
      5. Copy each BMP to the same location, with names corresponding to the stations number in fmbd.txt. EG 001.BMP, 002.BMP, etc
      6. Either reset the Head Unit, or close the Radio app via "Settings, Device, Apps", find the Radio app in the list, and Force Close (Top Right)
      7. Once rebooted start the Radio app, and the buttons should populate.
    Problem with the above procedure
    Well, honestly I've tried the manual method, and it didn't work for me. If others can offer advice please do.

View attachment 5706053
    In Conclusion

Your "manual" method may not work because you have left off the "|" character at the end of each line (except the last) in the fmbd.txt file..

Does anyone know what the third field is supposed to be?
    Code:
    {
            },
    Ok let me try that. By "zone" I meant to say "Radio Area" in the settings - sorry for my poor wording.
    Try "Russia". That one has to be used for Australia with NavRadio