• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Teyes TPro + LineageOS

Is this project feasible?

• yes if you are an unemployed minor deity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes

• easy peasy

• no

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • wrong place to ask this question

• Total voters
Search This thread

jdroid654321

Dec 20, 2020
I recently bought a Teyes TPro from AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000972517529.html

The unit kind of works. The AC controls work intermittently(I am half way through a moderately difficult process of solving this, more below). Teyes support is useless and incredulous if you want more than a few minutes of their time. However, the dream of having a 10" android touch screen is too good to let go of. I believe the hardware of the system is good.

Given that, I'm curious what people know about this head unit and if it's feasible to just wipe the Teyes image off and start anew with LineageOS 17.1(maybe 18.1!).

I'm a developer, but almost 100% of my experience is in C++ and Linux. I'm thinking it can't be that hard to build the UI/Launcher component and/or piece it together from open source components. Any development I do for this will be open sourced. The TPro fits a lot of older vehicles, so I can see this being beneficial to more than just me.

There are a few things I'm unsure of:
  • CAN bus interface
    • This is my biggest concern as I haven't found much documentation regarding the can bus. However, perhaps I can replace the built in adapter with an SPI based CAN bus adapter?
    • The AC control unit is a separate arm based microcontroller(Teyes sent this with the unit to replace the manual AC controls, since the screen occupies the space where the controls were) that interfaces with the head unit using a CAN interface on the head unit. This works intermittently and seems to be due to the AC Arm based MCU being slow to start. Doing a hard power cycle by pulling the HU power plug allows the AC controls to work correctly. I've attached a raspberry pi zero with a CAN interface from Seeed and am able to record the commands coming from the HU to the AC control unit. The CAN bus frames to and from the HU will be fairly trivial to replicate/decode. However, I'm not sure about accessing the HU CAN bus interface itself from Android. Any Android developers here have experience with this hardware platform? Is the CAN bus driver built in to Android?
    • It'd be nice to use the same bus for io on the car's OBD can bus, rpm, fuel efficiency, speed, door open, door locks, windows, etc.
  • AM/FM Radio
    • I suspect this is going to be standard Android supported hardware. Will NextRadio work well here?
  • DSP/Audio
    • Teyes has some nice software to control the DSP 4-channel output. I'm not married to it though, I just want basic 4-channel left/right/front/back controls and an equalizer.
  • Reverse/Dash camera CVBS/AHD
    • There are two video signal inputs on the device. Are these supported by standard Android software?
  • GPIO
    • Finally, the steering wheel keys(I believe this needs to be an A2D gpio or can be read from a CAN bus), reverse indicator and brake indicator.
    • I'm the least worried about this as I see there's a GPIO library for Android.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
Given that, I'm curious what people know about this head unit and if it's feasible to just wipe the Teyes image off and start anew with LineageOS 17.1(maybe 18.1!).

I'm a developer, but almost 100% of my experience is in C++ and Linux. I'm thinking it can't be that hard to build the UI/Launcher component and/or piece it together from open source components. Any development I do for this will be open sourced. The TPro fits a lot of older vehicles, so I can see this being beneficial to more than just me.

I am sorry to disappoint you, but you can actually forget it.

There is a lot of specific hardware inside these units that use completely closed source drivers. Putting lineageOS might even work, but you won't have an interface to the MCU firmware/hardware, neither to the CANbus, neither to the Radio, neither to the Amp/DSP, etc.

jdroid654321

Dec 20, 2020
Thank you, these links are very helpful.

It does indeed sound difficult, but not impossible. So, I'm not prepared to forget it just yet. If the system can be rooted and the MCU firmware overwritten, I believe it should be possible to replicate all the functionality with an open source firmware. My only question is whether I have the willpower and motivation to do it. 💩 Probably not single handedly, but if a few more software developers with an interest in embedded systems joins in I think we could do it. The dream of a well integrated hardware platform for open source head units is probably worth it to some?

I'll switch over to the other thread SC9853i Q&A to continue the discussion.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I am sorry to disappoint you, but you can actually forget it.

There is a lot of specific hardware inside these units that use completely closed source drivers. Putting lineageOS might even work, but you won't have an interface to the MCU firmware/hardware, neither to the CANbus, neither to the Radio, neither to the Amp/DSP, etc.