Tg01 screwdriver, need repair TG01

Search This thread

alepavia

Aug 11, 2008
I already asked where find the right screwdriver for opening the TG, someone have done the job?
The screwdriver have the same size of that found on ebay?
Thanks
Alessandro

kevinpwhite

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2006
I already asked where find the right screwdriver for opening the TG, someone have done the job?
The screwdriver have the same size of that found on ebay?
Thanks
Alessandro

This Tri-Wing screwdriver is just the job - very well machined and robust and importantly, a perfect fit for the size screws on the TG01:). I can also commend the responsiveness and comms of the vendor.

Last edited:

drkdeath5000

Jan 17, 2010
Hi Pere,

Yes, I've used on a TG01 and was a good fit to the tri-wing screws used on our devices.

Good to hear there is a screwdriver that fits but Kevin do you know if you can buy this tri wing as a bit so i can fit it on my screwdriver ? I've bought a full set of triwing bits sizes 1 - 6 but none fit the tg01 and i prefer a bit rather than a seperate screwdriver that way i can keep them all together ...

mkultr4

Jan 29, 2010
Good to hear there is a screwdriver that fits but Kevin do you know if you can buy this tri wing as a bit so i can fit it on my screwdriver ? I've bought a full set of triwing bits sizes 1 - 6 but none fit the tg01 and i prefer a bit rather than a seperate screwdriver that way i can keep them all together ...
Hello,

Try wera tools. They manufacture screwdrivers,bits etc. I have one some where I will try and find it and let you know the part number. Your screwdriver has a 1/4" end?

alepavia

Aug 11, 2008
Thank you all for the help, i'm not able to buy in amazon, they can't ship to Itlay, very strange message found at checkout..
"numan24" is good enough, but my credit card is out of date, i can use paypal. Tomorrow i'll try to reach the bank...
I'm trying in ebay, but i'm not sure for the size, nintendo DS and company have the same screws? someone that own that can help us!
After found the screwdriver i've to repair the usb port, when i connect charger nothing happen, but charging the battery manually the phone power up...

kevinpwhite

Nov 19, 2006

I'm sorry, although I have several high-quality driver sets with many different interchangeable bits, I've not so far come across any which include a suitable tri-wing. Even if they are available somewhere, I very much doubt they would be sold on their own, but would love to get to know of a source...

Alderian72

Dec 6, 2004
Small screwdirver supplier

I managed to get a nice set from Maplin a few months ago - check out:

(Maplin URL)?ModuleNo=341517
22 Piece @ GBP 4.99
Containing:
5 x 28mm slotted screwdriver bits: 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and 4mm
4 x 28mm crosspoint screwdriver bits: PH000, PH00, PH0 and PH1
8 x 28mm star screwdriver bits: T5, T6, T7, T9, T15, T8, T10 and T15
1 x 28mm spanner slotted bit: 2.6mm
1 x 28mm triwing bit: 3.0mm
1 x 28mm triangle bit: 3.0mm
110mm curved tip tweezers
Plastic storage case

Also check out:

(Maplin URL) +
?ModuleNo=99694

and

(Maplin URL)
?ModuleNo=37794

All of those together should make all the bits you could ever need!

Can;t add links, as despite being a member for I can't remember how long, obviously I haven't been active enough on the forums for them to remove the URL block from my account!

Pere

Oct 25, 2006
Palau (Barcelona) Spain
I managed to get a nice set from Maplin a few months ago - check out:

(Maplin URL)?ModuleNo=341517
22 Piece @ GBP 4.99
Containing:
5 x 28mm slotted screwdriver bits: 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and 4mm
4 x 28mm crosspoint screwdriver bits: PH000, PH00, PH0 and PH1
8 x 28mm star screwdriver bits: T5, T6, T7, T9, T15, T8, T10 and T15
1 x 28mm spanner slotted bit: 2.6mm
1 x 28mm triwing bit: 3.0mm
1 x 28mm triangle bit: 3.0mm
110mm curved tip tweezers
Plastic storage case

Also check out:

(Maplin URL) +
?ModuleNo=99694

and

(Maplin URL)
?ModuleNo=37794

All of those together should make all the bits you could ever need!

Can;t add links, as despite being a member for I can't remember how long, obviously I haven't been active enough on the forums for them to remove the URL block from my account!

OK Alderian72, but you can always write the address like "http://forum.xda-developers.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=8518136" :)

Last edited:

pol098

Oct 24, 2009
For anyone still interested in Tri-wing screwdriver for Toshiba TG01: I have done a bit of searching, and have a screwdriver for Nintendo, etc., but haven't yet tried to use it; it's a little big. I think the TG01 uses a slightly special size which isn't available anywhere. I will eventually try the one I have (haven't yet), but have found some comments on the Web that suggest the cheap ones off eBay can be made to work with care, or can be filed down. Here is what I have found, mostly Google-translated:

http://pdaclub.pl/forum/tg01/rozwarstwiony-wyswietlacz/
Q: Tri wings should have every service (buy a set with several tips) so to throw the can someone give. But the fact when submitting it together I recommend you use other screws ... Torx not even a krzyzaczki I dowalil for peace of mind. Interesting screws can wyczaic in atrapach as anyone can access. Ps. how to replace the digitizer has just let me know where and in what condition you purchased. Ps2. Is the digitizer glued to the screen Tosi or just fast?

A: I would not say. This TRIWINGS an unusual size. Differs from those that I have seen for sale (slightly, but enough to damage the screw). Digitizer is glued to the glass, is an integral part of the housing. It is not glued to the screen. If the delamination is between the digitizer and glass enclosure.

A2: That will damage the screw a half bids
=======================
http://pdaclub.pl/forum/tg01/powrot-nie-naprawionej-tg01/
Polish again.
Generally, the TG01 digitizer is not a separate foil applied to the screen that could be the name as a separate part (this was the case SE W960i) and the whole united to the front of the chassis. These "pseudohardware" buttons are extremely primitive parts. The entire digitizer connects to the board via a ribbon and a few tiny pins.
-----
As for Tri-Wing, you just have to buy this from ebay for $2-3, for Wii. Then, unfortunately, take a tiny interior nail file [or very small file] and file off the tip, because it is too thick to toskowe screw. (The translation varies a lot between different translators, alternatives in square brackets, but "nail file" seems better than "lip balm"! I'd expect to "file down the wings" rather than "file off the tip")

http://toshiba-tg01.forumactif.com/t1205-tuto-demontage-du-toshiba-tg01
The screwdriver I got is a bit big but if you apply and we support well, it does not mark the screw (Le tournevis que j'ai eu est un peu gros mais si on s'applique et qu'on appui bien, on ne marque pas les vis)

kevinpwhite

Nov 19, 2006
For anyone still interested in Tri-wing screwdriver for Toshiba TG01: I have done a bit of searching, and have a screwdriver for Nintendo, etc., but haven't yet tried to use it; it's a little big. I think the TG01 uses a slightly special size which isn't available anywhere. I will eventually try the one I have (haven't yet), but have found some comments on the Web that suggest the cheap ones off eBay can be made to work with care, or can be filed down. Here is what I have found, mostly Google-translated:

http://pdaclub.pl/forum/tg01/rozwarstwiony-wyswietlacz/
Q: Tri wings should have every service (buy a set with several tips) so to throw the can someone give. But the fact when submitting it together I recommend you use other screws ... Torx not even a krzyzaczki I dowalil for peace of mind. Interesting screws can wyczaic in atrapach as anyone can access. Ps. how to replace the digitizer has just let me know where and in what condition you purchased. Ps2. Is the digitizer glued to the screen Tosi or just fast?

A: I would not say. This TRIWINGS an unusual size. Differs from those that I have seen for sale (slightly, but enough to damage the screw). Digitizer is glued to the glass, is an integral part of the housing. It is not glued to the screen. If the delamination is between the digitizer and glass enclosure.

A2: That will damage the screw a half bids
=======================
http://pdaclub.pl/forum/tg01/powrot-nie-naprawionej-tg01/
Polish again.
Generally, the TG01 digitizer is not a separate foil applied to the screen that could be the name as a separate part (this was the case SE W960i) and the whole united to the front of the chassis. These "pseudohardware" buttons are extremely primitive parts. The entire digitizer connects to the board via a ribbon and a few tiny pins.
-----
As for Tri-Wing, you just have to buy this from ebay for $2-3, for Wii. Then, unfortunately, take a tiny interior nail file [or very small file] and file off the tip, because it is too thick to toskowe screw. (The translation varies a lot between different translators, alternatives in square brackets, but "nail file" seems better than "lip balm"! I'd expect to "file down the wings" rather than "file off the tip")

http://toshiba-tg01.forumactif.com/t1205-tuto-demontage-du-toshiba-tg01
The screwdriver I got is a bit big but if you apply and we support well, it does not mark the screw (Le tournevis que j'ai eu est un peu gros mais si on s'applique et qu'on appui bien, on ne marque pas les vis)

Please forgive reiterrating my previous post.... but I'd strongly suggest sticking with the 'right' tool for the job !
The Tri-Wing I posted some time back is still available on Amazon.... it works perfectly with no careful filing or other adjustments at all.

I've used mine to dis/re-assemble TG01s on numerous occasions and it remains as good as new. No chewing of the blades. No visible wear and a key part of the essential toolkit :)

Best regards,

Kevin

pol098

Oct 24, 2009
Thanks to kevinpwhite for very useful information.

> I'd strongly suggest sticking with the 'right' tool for the job !

I totally agree, but everything I've read, with the very useful exception of your post, says there isn't such a tool. I had seen your earlier post, but that tool advertises itself as "works with Nintendo Wii, DS, DS Lite & DSi - Hi-TEC ESSENTIALS", as do all the others, which apparently can be pressed into successful TG01 service with some difficulty. I looked carefully, but nowhere in the item description or reviews is TG01 listed. From what I read I came to the conclusion that the TG01 screwhead was slightly different from the others, and a Nintendo screwdriver wouldn't work.

> I've used mine to dis/re-assemble TG01s on numerous occasions and it remains as good as new. No chewing of the blades. No visible wear and a key part of the essential toolkit :)

So hopefully this is the tool for the job and I'll now try one. Thanks again for responding (and keeping abreast of this old thread). The TG01 works very well for me with a non-original ROM, and I'd like to get my spare one working. Lack of support from any new applications is annoying, though.

(added 27 June) I've now received the screwdriver and yes, it does fit! It's not too big as others are; if anything it's slightly small and feels less firmly locked into screwhead than I'd normally expect. But it works fine, unlike screwdrivers also sold as suitable for Nintendo. It's marked with the Triwing symbol and the size, "Y0". So thanks again to kevinpwhite, and the TG01 tool problem is indeed solved.

Best wishes, pol098

Last edited: