the 4.4.2 update - discussion thread

Search This thread

Paramemetic

Mar 29, 2011
Okay this is where we're at,

2. I made the ota flash with root for people on mk2 but people on mk2 will have to either downgrade to mk2 first or flash a NC5 rom after someone (I probably will) makes a NC5 rom. Not a big deal imho

Did you ever upload or post this? I see where you posted the Stock OTA, but not a rooted OTA. Also, would people on rooted MK2 still have to use a custom ROM or is it possible to flash a stock TW ROM, but with root?

Thanks.

newtsevo

Aug 14, 2010
I ODIN'd back to stock and took the update....before realizing the security feature Google put in place not allowing apps to write to the SD card! I hope a root exploit comes BC that's some BS!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
I ODIN'd back to stock and took the update....before realizing the security feature Google put in place not allowing apps to write to the SD card! I hope a root exploit comes BC that's some BS!!!!

To be fair, that's a known limitation of all the KitKat builds. Google made this change due to security concerns. Yes, it sucks.

newtsevo

Aug 14, 2010
To be fair, that's a known limitation of all the KitKat builds. Google made this change due to security concerns. Yes, it sucks.

Yeah I didn't realize it. I came from a gnex running KK so I didn't bother looking into it. I know there's a work around but root is needed

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Yeah I didn't realize it. I came from a gnex running KK so I didn't bother looking into it. I know there's a work around but root is needed

You can hope that the S5 bounty produces a root exploit that works on this build, as well. But I don't think that's going to be quick.

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida

You can still use a alternate method to downgrade to MK2 then reroot and then use a method of upgrading that allows you to keep root

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: newtsevo

dtomlin

Mar 31, 2011
Hey surge, do you have the rooted official ota upgrade out anywhere or is NC2 it for now?

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I know right? It's driving me nuts! here's a link to the I545VRUEMK2 OTA update.zip https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5lh8r0h8nrtrky/I545VRUEMK2_OTA_update.zip

smh, VZ will not give you guys a break. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for the I337. This process was very straight forward using our latest ota and was able to patch boot.img to create recovery. Just tried it for the VZ NC5 ota and was also unable to create recovery.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
smh, VZ will not give you guys a break. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for the I337. This process was very straight forward using our latest ota and was able to patch boot.img to create recovery. Just tried it for the VZ NC5 ota and was also unable to create recovery.

This is some craziness. I've never encountered this situation on any of the phones I've owned. I have a fully automated script that creates ODIN images for the S4 GPE when we get new OTA's. Now I'm worried about 4.4.3 and not being able to create that recovery when it comes out. SIGH. This is not a positive development. At least you guys will get ODIN images that contain the signed files you need. Us GPE owners have been left out in the cold with regard to ODIN.

Sir_Eagle

Jul 26, 2010
Akron, Ohio
You can still use a alternate method to downgrade to MK2 then reroot and then use a method of upgrading that allows you to keep root

I tried to down grade but wouldn't boot past the first Samsung screen, just boot looped to there. Even after a factory reset and wiping cache. Reloaded MK2 for now.

Last edited:

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
This is some craziness. I've never encountered this situation on any of the phones I've owned. I have a fully automated script that creates ODIN images for the S4 GPE when we get new OTA's. Now I'm worried about 4.4.3 and not being able to create that recovery when it comes out. SIGH. This is not a positive development. At least you guys will get ODIN images that contain the signed files you need. Us GPE owners have been left out in the cold with regard to ODIN.

I may see if the patch works using Ubuntu at some point when I have time.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Reactions: Deathbyfugu

newtsevo

Aug 14, 2010
I'm hoping Google realizes their mistake and how upset their customer base will be with this SD card lockdown

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

I may wait it out. Fingers crossed you can come up with something

peppersu812

Mar 16, 2012
Douglasville, GA
I'm hoping Google realizes their mistake and how upset their customer base will be with this SD card lockdown

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

I may wait it out. Fingers crossed you can come up with something

I'm just waiting to see what he has in stored for today. Take over the galaxy. Screw the world. LOL

Okay this is where we're at,

2. I made the ota flash with root for people on mk2 but people on mk2 will have to either downgrade to mk2 first or flash a NC5 rom

I'm not new to rooting and flashing ROMs and the like but I am noob with Samsung devices. I Purchased a GS4 ver. 1545 mk2 about 6 weeks ago. So far all I did is root it. No ROMs or safestrap. My phone indicates that an upgrade is available but I refused the upgrade because I wanted to wait and see if there was a way to keep root. I am confused with #2 above when you say people on mk2 have to downgrade to mk2. Also how do I flash the file, in recovery or that Odin program. Thanks

ssmaster

Jan 22, 2011
My wife has been complaining that Facebook freezes on this new update. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and she is still complaining. What should I do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have no experience with finding exploits or any other magical feats, but I was wondering how this all works. I tried to search for the info but the actual process to find exploits was lacking. Could you explain a little or point me in the right place? Also, how could I get get a look at bootloader etc. files? Is it something that I can pull from the phone or whatever? Thank for any help you can give.

It's not some "weekend project". The people that do it are extremely good at what they do. And what they do is rip apart kernel code looking for permission escalation exploits. Tools like IDA Pro make it a lot "easier" but it's extremely difficult and tedious work. Once a permission escalation exploit is found, then code has to be written to take advantage of it. That's what the root exploits are....they're pieces of code that execute in a specific way to escalate privs so that the system partition can be written to and the su binary pushed to it. It was difficult before, but, now things like SE Linux and KNOX make it even more difficult....preventing found escalation exploits from actually being used. I've been a software engineer professionally for 19 years and I can tell you this level of reverse engineering is well beyond my capabilities. Dan R is a professional in the field of kernel security. I don't know JCase's background but clearly he's got a good grasp of kernel security, as well. These guys literally spend hours/days/weeks pouring over code to find exploits. And it only gets harder as they're patched when found and measures taken to prevent exploiting them in the first place. I sincerely wish more people had an appreciation of what goes into finding and exploiting permission escalations for root. Maybe then people wouldn't be so hasty to upgrade and start asking "when is root going to be found" an hour later.
    NC5 is on sammobile

Im uploading the no-wipe and full-wipe Odin tars right now
    It's not some "weekend project". The people that do it are extremely good at what they do. And what they do is rip apart kernel code looking for permission escalation exploits. Tools like IDA Pro make it a lot "easier" but it's extremely difficult and tedious work. Once a permission escalation exploit is found, then code has to be written to take advantage of it. That's what the root exploits are....they're pieces of code that execute in a specific way to escalate privs so that the system partition can be written to and the su binary pushed to it. It was difficult before, but, now things like SE Linux and KNOX make it even more difficult....preventing found escalation exploits from actually being used. I've been a software engineer professionally for 19 years and I can tell you this level of reverse engineering is well beyond my capabilities. Dan R is a professional in the field of kernel security. I don't know JCase's background but clearly he's got a good grasp of kernel security, as well. These guys literally spend hours/days/weeks pouring over code to find exploits. And it only gets harder as they're patched when found and measures taken to prevent exploiting them in the first place. I sincerely wish more people had an appreciation of what goes into finding and exploiting permission escalations for root. Maybe then people wouldn't be so hasty to upgrade and start asking "when is root going to be found" an hour later.
    That right there was the most awesome informative answer I've seen on xda in a long time!!
    Everyone stop and think for a second. People will flash this and lose root. We're examining it and thinking of a game plan right now so if you want to keep root sit tight for a bit.

No need for discussion Naddict I got this.

P.S.A

Don't take the update