• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

The AT&T LG-G3 Lounge

Search This thread

hainguyen91

Mar 4, 2012
As long as you can still replace your recovery with TWRP by using this method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/att-lg-g3/orig-development/bump-unlock-lg-g3-twrp-t2900569 ..... yes, it should work.

Has anyone tried TWRP yet?

You might want to ask @shayneflashindaily for his OTA file. He went from v10D to Lollipop, the file size is different (721MB) than the one for those who go from v10F to Lollipop (689MB). Maybe, you will strike your luck there. Just my newbie 2 cents. :))

timmytim

Jan 6, 2011
Phoenix
@timmytim will this KDZ and TOT Extractor work for the G3, if someone has the time?

Yup! It sure will work assuming we get a tot. It did not work on the update blob though. I already tried it

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Need root first before you can dd to /dev

Sent from my LG D850

Oh that's right. I forgot about that. I haven't done it in so long,lol. Don't mind me.

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

You might want to ask @shayneflashindaily for his OTA file. He went from v10D to Lollipop, the file size is different (721MB) than the one for those who go from v10F to Lollipop (689MB). Maybe, you will strike your luck there. Just my newbie 2 cents. :))

The file we need, which will likely be a .tot will be over 1GB

timmytim

Jan 6, 2011
Phoenix
Im contemplating taking the plunge and revert to stock and take the OTA just so see if I can root it :p
It would suck though if I can't root it and Im stuck on stock, lol. I need to flash my Candy5 ROMs weekly!

neo4uo

Nov 27, 2010
Alabama
Im contemplating taking the plunge and revert to stock and take the OTA just so see if I can root it :p
It would suck though if I can't root it and Im stuck on stock, lol. I need to flash my Candy5 ROMs weekly!

Hasn't someone flashed stock took ota and then tot back to 4.4.2? I though shaneflashingdailey did? If that's the case there would be minimal risk in trying to root lollipop?

TonyStark

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
Another possibility to extract the tot

Check%20here_Thumb%20up.gif

A tool for extracting bin/tot firmware for LG Phones

Last edited:
N

nygfan760

This works, but the .tot file needs to be found first, that's the real trouble

neo4uo

Nov 27, 2010
Alabama
Has anyone rooted KitKat then used rootkeeper and tried to take ota? If we can keep root on Lollipop and adb some files are chances of getting something going are more likely than finding a tot file. I am sure we could buy a tot file from that korean website who makes a living off selling files they have hacked off the server. I have had a gpad v410 for awhile right now cant get a kdz and tot for factory because no one wants to pony up the $100 bucks for the files including myself lol. Anyways i guess that I will try some things to retain root after ota.

shayneflashindaily

Sep 15, 2012
Hendersonville NC
Wtf really... ? Credit card numbers ... **** you greenify! On another note ,I'm going to go out on a limb and just say that I don't believe there is a way to retain root and take update... I think we are going to have to obtain it once already on lollipop.... IMO

2SHAYNEZ

Attachments

• 1423670068067.jpg
    1423670068067.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 866
Last edited by a moderator:

neo4uo

Nov 27, 2010
Alabama
Wtf really... ? Credit card numbers ...damn you greenify! On another note ,I'm going to go out on a limb and just say that I don't believe there is a way to retain root and take update... I think we are going to have to obtain it once already on lollipop.... IMO

2SHAYNEZ

I honestly believe your right :( i think most of the root keepers broke when android went to 4.3. I know its a long shot but just throwing it out there. Its probably just gonna take someone command prompt rooting or exploiting to get root. Probably need to do some research on methods used to obtain root on lollipop when it first came available and was cracked for root.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Unfortunately brute forcing or cracking root is way above my ability :(. Its gonna take the expertise of someone from teamcodefire but unfortunately some in our community kind of took a dump on them with bump, so I suspect they have washed their hands of us :( which is a shame :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you want TWRP just downgrade aboot.img and laf.img to KK.. then BUMP'd TWRP will work. Must be rooted to be able to flash TWRP obviously. If not already rooted -- Root with THIS METHOD HERE.

If rooted and on stock 20F Lollipop follow #1
    If already TWRP'd/BUMP'd on KitKat (or using AOSP) and want to manually update to rooted stock 20F follow #2

Download D850 TWRP HERE and rename to twrp.img. download stock KK aboot and laf images HERE. Stick all 3 on root of internal sdcard. You'll also have to flash a patched stock 20F boot.img so that the Lollipop system still boots when using the downgraded aboot.img/laf.img. You can download the patched boot.img HERE. Stick it in the root of your internal sdcard.
    Now issue the following commands with adb shell. If using terminal app on phone do not use the adb shell command:
    Code:
    [SIZE="2"]adb shell
    su
    md5 /sdcard/aboot.img (confirm md5 = 348064a6d4f8d5b7d3eeec79d86de5bd before proceeding)
    dd if=/sdcard/aboot.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot
    dd if=/sdcard/laf.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf
    dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    dd if=/sdcard/patched-20f-boot.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot[/SIZE]
    You are finished and can now reboot back into the rom.

#2 (edit/update: see my thread HERE for TWRP-flashable stock 20F)
    If already TWRP'd/BUMP'd and you want to upgrade manually to 20F Lollipop... download the patched boot.img HERE and stick it on the root of your internal sdcard.. along with the 20F modem.img and system.img @timmytim shared a few posts up. You may or may not have to "factory reset" in TWRP. YMMV.
    [If flashing system.img you must be in TWRP, not the rom, while issuing these commands]
    [May need the "Koush Universal ADB" drivers to get ADB goin' in TWRP]
    Code:
    [SIZE="2"]adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/patched-20f-boot.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot
    dd if=/sdcard/modem.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem
    dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system[/SIZE]

If flashing 20F system via this method you will also need to root since the system.img is stock. Download SuperSU zip from Chainfire HERE and flash the zip in TWRP AFTER flashing the system.img. You are finished and can now reboot back into the rom.
    I've seen Liquid Smooth mentioned in other threads but don't think it has been here.
    @CPA Poke has made quite a few builds I believe for different devices as well and that ROM would be awesome on the G3 now that were unlocked and since it's another CM based ROM definitely an option.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2630085

Another one he is associated with is Dirty Unicorns : http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...m-dirty-unicorns-4-4-2-hammerhead-05-t2588152

There are obviously more people than Poke involved with these ROMs so maybe that could be an option for one of those devs to build for our G3s as well!

- Tapatalked From The G3 -
    I don't own the device, but I'll see what we can do :)
    *calls BigFau on the NunPhone....

Yo Big. G3 on the way. Let's do dis!
    So.... sorry for the delay, got super busy at work... I hate it when our print servers go down. Also, I'm having a lot of trouble extracting the blob becuase, well it's a blob and not an image. I'll think of something.
    @timmytim
    After some preliminary testing, Im 110% sure I can obtain root now, and way easier than people are thinking. I just need to figure out how to update my 10D to 10F then to 5.0 (being on cricket has its drawbacks).
    Hop on IRC at some point tomorrow and we'll get some things tested.