• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

The best solar phone chargers?

Search This thread

st8chic

Jul 6, 2015
Ann Arbor
Has anyone tested the CHOE 19w solar panel kit or the Anker 21w solar charger? I'm looking for a high quality solar phone charger for my uncle who will be spending a lot of time in the woods in November and will need to charge his phone a lot.

choe19wportablesolarchargerbackpacking560.jpg

CHOE 19w: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TEQJEC6

It has similar specifications with the Anker 21w solar charger, 2.4 amps per port or 3 amps overall under direct sunlight. Or what other good quality solar panel kit are you using?

Last edited:

ebpman

Jul 29, 2008
www.youtube.com
I have the panel works extremely well. We have used it while camping. But the most use we get is on the tennis court! I plug in my wireless speaker and phone to the panel to charge it while I play and listen to music. Here is a link of my review. MOD Edit: Removed as contains amazon referral links

Last edited by a moderator:

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
The ChoeTech Solar Charger is an incredibly useful product. Thanks to its Quick Charge 2.0 support, I am able to entirely refill my battery while sitting outside for lunch, playing tennis, or at the pool. This allows my phone to last all day and all night, rather than simply all day. I have not yet used the charger on a camping trip, but I know it would work well due to its rapid charging and general compactness. ChoeTech's solution is also less expensive than equivalent products sold by other companies. The solar panels also work better than I would have expected and charge very quickly in less than full sun. Overall, I would highly recommend this product, especially to people who are consistently outdoors and live in warm, sunny environments

Attachments

• 2015-10-25.jpg
    2015-10-25.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 432
  • 2015-10-26.jpg
    2015-10-26.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 428

cmh714

Jul 4, 2009
So for the sake of full disclosure, prior to becoming a CHOE Tech product reviewer, I was already an owner of 2 of their products. The Qi Wireless Charging pad (Model T513) and the High power 6-port USB power adapter (Model C0041Q) which has 2 QC ports. Both are excellent products especially the hub. I find it invaluable I have a number of devices but most often use a Motorola Nexus 6 for reviews.

CHOE Tech offered me a few different products. I chose to look at their new Qi Charger (Model T517) http://www.choetech.com/Circle-Qi-Wi...htning-Sensor/ and their Foldable 19W Dual-Port Solar Charger with Auto Detect Technology (Model SC001) http://www.choetech.com/choetech-for...panel-charger/. The Qi charger can be had on Amazon for $17.99 (list $30) and to review, I was given a code that knocked it down to a penny. The Solar panel lists for $100 and can be had on Amazon for $54.99. The code for a reviewer made this 50% off and cost me $27.49

Now, for the Foldable 19W Solar Charger. I live in Southern California so its always clear and very bright. The test was done on November 14th at noon, so after the time change. As with any solar device, the overall strength of the sun combined with the proper angle will result in the best charging output.

I laid the solar charger out flat on a table, and could get Ampere to register in the high 600mA area consistently, making it pretty comparable to a Qi charger. I then started playing with the angle to the sun. Depending on angles I could get Ampere to register into the 800's. Then I positioned the solar charger such that it caught the sun, as well as the reflection of the sun in my glass table. That sent Ampere over 1000mA.

The charger has plenty of loops in order to connect it to a backpack or whatever else. All you need is a small carabiner or piece of rope to hang it on. The charger also has a pocket where the two USB ports are located as well as the one provided USB cable. The unit folds up nicely and it all stays together with a magnetic enclosure. It is definitely easy enough to take with you on any trip.

While I havent used this much yet, but I certainly can tell that I already love it. Lightweight and powerful enough to get the job done in a pinch. Will be taking this with me on an upcoming trip to Mexico....just in case

***REMOVED my Amazon links, since I see above that it may be a no, no :)

I will try and post some pictures shortly....

Last edited:
Reactions: wolfen69

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
There is a review of the current Choetech solar panel and the earlier 14W Anker panel, not comparing with the newer 21W Anker panel. This isn't just an unboxing but actual testing in the sun and metered.

The review goes on at length many times about the over-stating of the 19W by Choetech but if I look at the dimensions of the Anker it would appear to be using the same over statement.

I also would like to see a side-by-side of the Choetech and the newer 21W Anker panel. The mentioned video as it does actual measuring under a test goes to show how lazy are most other reviewers and indeed have little understanding of what they are doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgRloFSeWoE

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
The Choetech is $43 Including shipping and tax at the moment.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...-wall-charger-and-a-solar-charger-via-amazon/

I got mine delivered today, it's night time dark, but got my Nexus7 to show getting a weak charge off bathroom lights, which is promising. My phone wouldn't show a charge. Will be trying in daylight obviously tomorrow.

Initial impression is small, light, well made, and a smaller tablet or phablet sized zipped pouch.

If you're in sunny places then you could be offgrid for days before you fallback to battery packs.

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
In two hours in partially cloudy / hazy sun here in mid January, I charged my Nexus 7 from 33% to 72% in 2 hours. So that's getting (.72-.33)*3950 = 1540mah ~ 770ma/hr.

If this can be done in less than ideal situations, sun near its weakest and some cloud, then that is promising for when solar is more relevant in summer.

Reactions: electricpete1

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston

side-by-side reviews of measured charging speeds are scant on the Choetech vs Anker, so we're somewhat limited to focusing on the design, the Anker is 3 panels with the 4th panel is a velcro pouch vs Choetech is 3 panels with the 3rd panel having a zippered pouch. So if you are going to be moving with the gadget (say N6) charging it may well prefer the Choetech design vs the if you stop and rest and connect the gadget it may prefer the Anker design.

organick87

Jun 12, 2014
from what i've seen, Anker is the only 2.1A output one i've found. this matches the wall chargers that charge devices well. Anker seems to have a positive rep all-around and i plan to add one or two of their products to my collection at some point. a solar charger was next.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would love to see a comparison review of the Choetech 19W vs X-Dragon 20W vs Anker 21W, all of them with the high efficiency panels. The market is so flooded with the different brands we need someone to make sense of them.
    So for the sake of full disclosure, prior to becoming a CHOE Tech product reviewer, I was already an owner of 2 of their products. The Qi Wireless Charging pad (Model T513) and the High power 6-port USB power adapter (Model C0041Q) which has 2 QC ports. Both are excellent products especially the hub. I find it invaluable I have a number of devices but most often use a Motorola Nexus 6 for reviews.

CHOE Tech offered me a few different products. I chose to look at their new Qi Charger (Model T517) http://www.choetech.com/Circle-Qi-Wi...htning-Sensor/ and their Foldable 19W Dual-Port Solar Charger with Auto Detect Technology (Model SC001) http://www.choetech.com/choetech-for...panel-charger/. The Qi charger can be had on Amazon for $17.99 (list $30) and to review, I was given a code that knocked it down to a penny. The Solar panel lists for $100 and can be had on Amazon for $54.99. The code for a reviewer made this 50% off and cost me $27.49

Now, for the Foldable 19W Solar Charger. I live in Southern California so its always clear and very bright. The test was done on November 14th at noon, so after the time change. As with any solar device, the overall strength of the sun combined with the proper angle will result in the best charging output.

I laid the solar charger out flat on a table, and could get Ampere to register in the high 600mA area consistently, making it pretty comparable to a Qi charger. I then started playing with the angle to the sun. Depending on angles I could get Ampere to register into the 800's. Then I positioned the solar charger such that it caught the sun, as well as the reflection of the sun in my glass table. That sent Ampere over 1000mA.

The charger has plenty of loops in order to connect it to a backpack or whatever else. All you need is a small carabiner or piece of rope to hang it on. The charger also has a pocket where the two USB ports are located as well as the one provided USB cable. The unit folds up nicely and it all stays together with a magnetic enclosure. It is definitely easy enough to take with you on any trip.

While I havent used this much yet, but I certainly can tell that I already love it. Lightweight and powerful enough to get the job done in a pinch. Will be taking this with me on an upcoming trip to Mexico....just in case

***REMOVED my Amazon links, since I see above that it may be a no, no :)

I will try and post some pictures shortly....
    In two hours in partially cloudy / hazy sun here in mid January, I charged my Nexus 7 from 33% to 72% in 2 hours. So that's getting (.72-.33)*3950 = 1540mah ~ 770ma/hr.

If this can be done in less than ideal situations, sun near its weakest and some cloud, then that is promising for when solar is more relevant in summer.
    Just found a £6 off code: 4GVRSTCC, £35.99 - £6 = £29.99 That's really a good deal! I guess my wife will agree to buy one!!
    http://amzn.to/1XwX2iP