Question The best way to root samsung tab a8 2021 pls

Search This thread

MarcoGalaxySM-X205

Mar 28, 2022
Hey y'all, glad to see that there's been a way to make it work!

I've been doing the following but still can't seem to get out of bootloop, can anyone help out? (@arutsuro @MarcoGalaxySM-X205 @keksas3 @DJBhardwaj )

1. Grab the firmware package "X200XXU1AVC1" and unzip
2. Unzip the AP tar file
3. Extract boot.img, send to device, and patch with magisk 24.3
4. Replace boot.img with the newly patched one (renamed to boot)
5. Create a tar file from the AP folder using
Bash:
tar -C AP_folder -cvf AP_patched.tar .
6. Get tab to download mode, open Odin v3.14 and add BL, HOME_CSC, and the AP_patched.tar
7. Flash via Odin, exit download mode, enter stock recovery, factory reset

After step 7 is where I get stuck in bootloop, anything seem off to you? My plan now is to repatch boot.img after flashing the stock AP again and retry.

EDIT:
So this is pretty weird, I went to test if it's because of the way I'm creating the tar file, so I extracted the stock AP and made a new tar file from the extract. In Odin, I see the following when I try to flash with the tar I created (no patch applied):

All of these skipped files are the ones present in the AP tar, which is why I think I keep getting stuck in the loop. If I use the stock AP file, these parts aren't skipped. Does anyone have some advice on how to properly generate this tar file?
Hi, I hope it is allowed to mention the software I used. 7-zip worked great for me to generate the .tar

arutsuro

Mar 25, 2011
Hey y'all, glad to see that there's been a way to make it work!

I've been doing the following but still can't seem to get out of bootloop, can anyone help out? (@arutsuro @MarcoGalaxySM-X205 @keksas3 @DJBhardwaj )

1. Grab the firmware package "X200XXU1AVC1" and unzip
2. Unzip the AP tar file
3. Extract boot.img, send to device, and patch with magisk 24.3
4. Replace boot.img with the newly patched one (renamed to boot)
5. Create a tar file from the AP folder using
Bash:
tar -C AP_folder -cvf AP_patched.tar .
6. Get tab to download mode, open Odin v3.14 and add BL, HOME_CSC, and the AP_patched.tar
7. Flash via Odin, exit download mode, enter stock recovery, factory reset

After step 7 is where I get stuck in bootloop, anything seem off to you? My plan now is to repatch boot.img after flashing the stock AP again and retry.

EDIT:
So this is pretty weird, I went to test if it's because of the way I'm creating the tar file, so I extracted the stock AP and made a new tar file from the extract. In Odin, I see the following when I try to flash with the tar I created (no patch applied):

All of these skipped files are the ones present in the AP tar, which is why I think I keep getting stuck in the loop. If I use the stock AP file, these parts aren't skipped. Does anyone have some advice on how to properly generate this tar file?
I have the firmware X200XXU1AVAB and made the patched tar using 7zip.

MMarc

When I rooted my Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.5 I extracted the boot image and patched with magisk 24.3 but instead of putting the file back in AP I create a tar with the boot image using 7zip then using Odin I flash the boot image tar to device. This always works for me I have rooted all my tablets this way even a generic tablet from Amazon the flash tool for the other tablet was different depending on model but the patching of boot image is the same process!

IkeGolden

Sep 10, 2019
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
Hi at all I am stuck in bootloader loop too.
First of all I can not find my modell SM-X205 in FRP Hijacker. How is that possible that you guys find your SM-X200 and the last Device in my list in FRP Hijackers is SM-G3815?

I am currently in Bootloader mode (I am either there or in the loop). How can I factory reset everything?
Do I need original Firmeware I looked in Frija but I need CSC or TMB Description ( I do not know what that is) to search for something. Furthermore I have no clue how to use that with odin if I would be able to get the firmeware somehow.
Hi, in the FRP Hijacker there is no SM-X200, I downloaded it yesterday and saw it.
Before trying anything I downloaded the original one for the Tab A8 SM-X200. With Odin I tried to root it following the method used in [Guide][SM-T500/T505] Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 - Unlock Bootloader & Root with Magisk by DJBhardwaj of course using the Firmware corresponding to mine, everything was fine until I got PASS in Odin and the Tablet was in a constant reboot. The only way to reset it was, in one of those reboot failures, to enter download mode and with Odin perform the same operation but instead of using the file generated by Magisk use the original AP file.
As I'm very new at this and answering in the forum even more :) I don't know if the rules allow to give links, but have you tried to find yours in SamFirms.com?
Regards

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

IkeGolden

Sep 10, 2019
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
I have the A7 and I wrote a guide for it.

Here: https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-sm-t5...4-unlock-bootloader-root-with-magisk.4185993/

See if OEM unlocking is available on your model and can be enabled. Check step #1 of the linked guide and let me know.
Thanks for the input, I have done all the steps successfully, even Odin came out fine but the tablet was in a constant reboot that I solved by going into download mode and using the original AP. Regards

garyemiller

Oct 8, 2011
Bend, OR
Reactions: IkeGolden

Ar-Pharazon

Oct 27, 2013
I have the A7 and I wrote a guide for it.

Here: https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-sm-t5...4-unlock-bootloader-root-with-magisk.4185993/

See if OEM unlocking is available on your model and can be enabled. Check step #1 of the linked guide and let me know.
I just got a Galaxy Tab A8 (2021), and to my surprise I was able to find OEM Unlock (as opposed to my phone).

But once I'm in the "bootloader" screen, long pressing the up volume button does nothing. That option does not appear like it does in your tutorial.

Any ideas?
20220610_175404.jpg

NVM. I didn't have USB Debugging enabled...d'oh!

ETA: I followed DJBhardwaj's guide here but all the way at the end, Magisk was no longer on the device and the last step couldn't be performed. Still not 100% rooted.

Last edited:

garyemiller

Oct 8, 2011
Bend, OR
I just got a Galaxy Tab A8 (2021), and to my surprise I was able to find OEM Unlock (as opposed to my phone).

But once I'm in the "bootloader" screen, long pressing the up volume button does nothing. That option does not appear like it does in your tutorial.

Any ideas?
View attachment 5634897

NVM. I didn't have USB Debugging enabled...d'oh!

ETA: I followed DJBhardwaj's guide here but all the way at the end, Magisk was no longer on the device and the last step couldn't be performed. Still not 100% rooted.
Did you see this thread?

Reactions: Ar-Pharazon

Tofor

Look in message #7 in that thread. Get the factory firmware. UNzip it, untar it, there is the boot.img.
The boot image is inside the AP .tar.mp5 file for the stock recovery. Unzip it using 7zip and you can take the boot.img file from it. Put it on your device and have the Magisk manager app on your device patch the boot.img file you got from the AP firmware file. It will create a new boot.img file with a name like MagiskPatched847y36.img and will put it in your devices download folder. Take the new file from your download folder and put it on your PC and rename it boot.img. then right click the new boot.img file, go to the 7zip option and tell it to add to archive. Make the archive type .tar and hit okay. Now you will have a file called boot.tar. use Odin to flash the new boot.tar file using it in the AP slot for Odin. After the device reboots, boot into your devices recovery and factory reset the device. It should load the android setup screen like it was new and you should have an app now called Magisk. Download and install magisk manager and open it. Allow it to reboot to finish modifications. Now you have fully working root.

superliukang2020

Jun 28, 2022
i followed above I still cannot get root
The boot image is inside the AP .tar.mp5 file for the stock recovery. Unzip it using 7zip and you can take the boot.img file from it. Put it on your device and have the Magisk manager app on your device patch the boot.img file you got from the AP firmware file. It will create a new boot.img file with a name like MagiskPatched847y36.img and will put it in your devices download folder. Take the new file from your download folder and put it on your PC and rename it boot.img. then right click the new boot.img file, go to the 7zip option and tell it to add to archive. Make the archive type .tar and hit okay. Now you will have a file called boot.tar. use Odin to flash the new boot.tar file using it in the AP slot for Odin. After the device reboots, boot into your devices recovery and factory reset the device. It should load the android setup screen like it was new and you should have an app now called Magisk. Download and install magisk manager and open it. Allow it to reboot to finish modifications. Now you have fully working root.

I followed above but still no root, i do not see magisk app after new set up on any of my tries I DL-ed all the files, used 7zip to extract all of them into their own folders. inside the AP folder i see the AP.xxx.tar.md5, i used 7zip to extract that into its own folder, inside that folder i see the meta data folder along with all different files, i see the boot file, not boot.img. I send that boot file to my tablet, used magisk to patch and send it back to my PC. i renamed as boot.img then the first try is with 7zip to tar just that file, then ODIN, no root, 2nd try replaced the patched boot.img inside the AP folder and delete the boot file, then 7zip to tar then ODIN, i get the not responding error and ODIN would close. 3rd try by make a folder called "AP" then put the patch boot.img in it, then tar, then ODIN, it would flash just like the first try but still no root. any other suggestions? TIA

superliukang2020

Jun 28, 2022
also, when i use 7zip to extract the warning, there are data after payload data, cannot open file as hash archive, the file is open as tar archive...the count down remaining time would get to 0 but the percent would say 99% extracting, i would have to click close to close it out.
im not sure if these affect my boot file...

superliukang2020

Jun 28, 2022
so i tried it again, this time saved the patched file as boot instead of boot.img, tar the boot by itself, then ODIN, it went through like a new set up, then it does it's normal setup, still dont see the magisk, so i turned off, then power on button with volumn down, it reboot, now there's magisk, open and update, restart when prompted, dl root checker and got root. finally!!

garfield314g

May 28, 2023
Hello,

I recently bought the Samsung Tab A8 (2021) tablet (SM-X200, 3GB RAM). I live in Greece. Since it was a bit laggy (it has Android 13 in 3 GBs RAM...), I thought about to install it's latest Android 11 firmware using Odin (latest Odin3_v3.14.4), having done the OEM unlocking first (through settings in Android13). I flash through Odin the 3 files (BL, AP, CSC).

When I select the EUX version of Firmware (X200XXU1AVG1, https://galaxyfirmware.com/model/SM-X200/EUX/X200XXU1AVG1), it results in bootloop (with the following screens...)

At least I managed somehow to get the TWRP 3.7.0_12.2 in the recovery.

Can someone indicates me which is the correct latest Android 11 firmware for my SM-X200 model for europe (Greece), so I can flash it through Odin?
EUY, EUX or something else?

Last working ROM (for Android 13) was AP_X200XXS2CWD2_X200XXS2CWD2_MQB64163371_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT_meta_OS13 (check images)...

Attachments

• ROM.jpg
    ROM.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 17

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Hello,

I recently bought the Samsung Tab A8 (2021) tablet (SM-X200, 3GB RAM). I live in Greece. Since it was a bit laggy (it has Android 13 in 3 GBs RAM...), I thought about to install it's latest Android 11 firmware using Odin (latest Odin3_v3.14.4), having done the OEM unlocking first (through settings in Android13). I flash through Odin the 3 files (BL, AP, CSC).

When I select the EUX version of Firmware (X200XXU1AVG1, https://galaxyfirmware.com/model/SM-X200/EUX/X200XXU1AVG1), it results in bootloop (with the following screens...)

At least I managed somehow to get the TWRP 3.7.0_12.2 in the recovery.

Can someone indicates me which is the correct latest Android 11 firmware for my SM-X200 model for europe (Greece), so I can flash it through Odin?
EUY, EUX or something else?

Last working ROM (for Android 13) was AP_X200XXS2CWD2_X200XXS2CWD2_MQB64163371_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT_meta_OS13 (check images)...
You can't downgrade from 13. You need to flash a stock 13 and then a GSI. It is One UI that causes the lag and GSI ROMs don't have it. Or, if you really want One UI, you can search the threads for the settings that fix it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looks like that was the issue, 7-zip did the trick. Thanks a ton @MarcoGalaxySM-X205 @arutsuro !
    When I rooted my Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.5 I extracted the boot image and patched with magisk 24.3 but instead of putting the file back in AP I create a tar with the boot image using 7zip then using Odin I flash the boot image tar to device. This always works for me I have rooted all my tablets this way even a generic tablet from Amazon the flash tool for the other tablet was different depending on model but the patching of boot image is the same process!
    extract boot image from original AP then put it on your A8 tab and patch it with magisk newest version.compress it to .tar format and flash it with odin and that should be it.worked for me.

used X200XXU1AVC1 version of firmware.
    Thank you @keksas3 and @DJBhardwaj, patching boot.img instead AP.md5 with new magisk was the answer. Now I can confirm A8 is rootable without bootloop issues.

Code:
    - Device platform: arm64-v8a
    - Installing: 24.3 (24300)
    ! Installation failed
    - Copying image to cache
    - Unpacking boot image
    Parsing boot image: [/data/user_de/0/com.topjohnwu.magisk/install/boot.img]
    HEADER_VER      [2]
    KERNEL_SZ       [21538832]
    RAMDISK_SZ      [692567]
    SECOND_SZ       [0]
    RECOV_DTBO_SZ   [0]
    DTB_SZ          [163175]
    OS_VERSION      [11.0.0]
    OS_PATCH_LEVEL  [2022-01]
    PAGESIZE        [2048]
    NAME            [SRPUI28B001]
    CMDLINE         [console=ttyS1,115200n8]
    CHECKSUM        [f5d63aceeeefd7a23c8835e8a8d7a2024ceb971c000000000000000000000000]
    KERNEL_FMT      [raw]
    RAMDISK_FMT     [gzip]
    SAMSUNG_SEANDROID
    VBMETA
    - Checking ramdisk status
    Loading cpio: [ramdisk.cpio]
    - Stock boot image detected
    - Patching ramdisk
    Loading cpio: [ramdisk.cpio]
    Add entry [init] (0750)
    Create directory [overlay.d] (0750)
    Create directory [overlay.d/sbin] (0750)
    Add entry [overlay.d/sbin/magisk32.xz] (0644)
    Add entry [overlay.d/sbin/magisk64.xz] (0644)
    Patch with flag KEEPVERITY=[true] KEEPFORCEENCRYPT=[true]
    Loading cpio: [ramdisk.cpio.orig]
    Backup mismatch entry: [init] -> [.backup/init]
    Record new entry: [overlay.d] -> [.backup/.rmlist]
    Record new entry: [overlay.d/sbin] -> [.backup/.rmlist]
    Record new entry: [overlay.d/sbin/magisk32.xz] -> [.backup/.rmlist]
    Record new entry: [overlay.d/sbin/magisk64.xz] -> [.backup/.rmlist]
    Create directory [.backup] (0000)
    Add entry [.backup/.magisk] (0000)
    Dump cpio: [ramdisk.cpio]
    Loading dtbs from [dtb]
    Patch @ 010DAB44 [736B69705F696E697472616D667300] -> [77616E745F696E697472616D667300]
    - Repacking boot image
    Parsing boot image: [/data/user_de/0/com.topjohnwu.magisk/install/boot.img]
    HEADER_VER      [2]
    RAMDISK_SZ      [692567]
    SECOND_SZ       [0]
    RECOV_DTBO_SZ   [0]
    DTB_SZ          [163175]
    OS_VERSION      [11.0.0]
    PAGESIZE        [2048]
    CHECKSUM        [f5d63aceeeefd7a23c8835e8a8d7a2024ceb971c000000000000000000000000]
    KERNEL_FMT      [raw]
    RAMDISK_FMT     [gzip]
    SAMSUNG_SEANDROID
    VBMETA
    Repack to boot image: [new-boot.img]
    HEADER_VER      [2]
    RAMDISK_SZ      [1201584]
    SECOND_SZ       [0]
    RECOV_DTBO_SZ   [0]
    DTB_SZ          [163175]
    OS_VERSION      [11.0.0]
    PAGESIZE        [2048]
    CHECKSUM        [c133184558a8001015d996e4f233b112e5a0d05f000000000000000000000000]

Output file is written to
     /storage/emulated/0/Download/magisk_patched-24300_6D1Cj.img
    cp: can't preserve ownership of 'busybox': Operation not permitted
    cp: can't preserve ownership of 'magisk32': Operation not permitted
    cp: can't preserve ownership of 'magisk64': Operation not permitted
    cp: can't preserve ownership of 'magiskboot': Operation not permitted
    cp: can't preserve ownership of 'magiskinit': Operation not permitted
    - All done!
    Code:
    <ID:0/009> Added!!
    <ID:0/009> Odin engine v(ID:3.1401)..
    <ID:0/009> File analysis..
    <ID:0/009> skip file list for home binary
    <ID:0/009> userdata.img
    <ID:0/009> Home Binary Download
    <ID:0/009> Total Binary size: 5492 M
    <ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/009> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
    <ID:0/009> SingleDownload.
    <ID:0/009> u-boot-spl-16k-sign.bin
    <ID:0/009> teecfg-sign.bin
    <ID:0/009> sml-sign.bin
    <ID:0/009> tos-sign.bin
    <ID:0/009> lk-sign.bin
    <ID:0/009> sharkl5pro_cm4.bin
    <ID:0/009> grd_fw.img
    <ID:0/009> AGCP_DSP.bin
    <ID:0/009> boot.img
    <ID:0/009> dtbo.img
    <ID:0/009> EXEC_KERNEL_IMAGE.bin
    <ID:0/009> gnssmodem.bin
    <ID:0/009> recovery.img
    <ID:0/009> socko.img
    <ID:0/009> super.img
    <ID:0/009> vbmeta.img
    <ID:0/009> vbmeta_system.img
    <ID:0/009> cache.img
    <ID:0/009> optics.img
    <ID:0/009> prism.img
    <ID:0/009> RQT_CLOSE !!
    <ID:0/009> RES OK !!
    <ID:0/009> Removed!!
    <ID:0/009> Remain Port ....  0
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
    <ID:0/020> Added!!
    extract boot image from original AP then put it on your A8 tab and patch it with magisk newest version.compress it to .tar format and flash it with odin and that should be it.worked for me.

used X200XXU1AVC1 version of firmware.
    Hi at all I am stuck in bootloader loop too.
    First of all I can not find my modell SM-X205 in FRP Hijacker. How is that possible that you guys find your SM-X200 and the last Device in my list in FRP Hijackers is SM-G3815?

I am currently in Bootloader mode (I am either there or in the loop). How can I factory reset everything?
    Do I need original Firmeware I looked in Frija but I need CSC or TMB Description ( I do not know what that is) to search for something. Furthermore I have no clue how to use that with odin if I would be able to get the firmeware somehow.