The Complete Noob Guide to Flashing Stock Firmware via Fastboot MetroPCS Moto One 5G Ace XT2113 [Qualcomm Version]

Search This thread
This tutorial is for people like me than ran into problems rooting the Moto One 5G Ace XT2113 (MetroPCS Qualcomm Variant) running on stock Android 10. I got this today after my beloved Moto G7Power's usb/charging port melted and fell out the phone after two and a half years and MetroPCS would NOT honor my insurance and replace the phone. Long story there. So far, this phone's been a good replacement but I'm still early in the game.

Follow the following at your own risk! I am not responsible for any mishaps with your devices. I also don't know if this will work on other variants, as I only have these for MetroPCS, and from my understanding this will NOT obviously work for Verizon, AT&T, and Cricket phones because you have to have the bootloader unlocked.

I want to thank @sd_shadow for pointing the way for me. This phone is a bit different being a new OS and a different updated Moto, and sd_shadow helped me get through the curious WTF now moments. This guide is solely for people like me that jumped head first into this phone with our variant trying to root and ran into some problems.

Introduction/Preparation
First, go and prepare by READING EVERYTHING OF THE FOLLOWING. Very important. Don't even jump into this without reading this thread here all the way to the last page: Motorola Guide To Flashing (this is so you know start to finish the differences between this model and maybe your previous models, plus the differences now between flashing Android 9 to 10, having an A/B system versus the new fastbootd mode).

Second, unlock the bootloader. The MetroPCS variant can be unlocked by Motorola; follow their instructions, it's easy peasy. Use their data tool to get the code formatted correctly or you may have problems. If you do it in firefox it may not go to the third step page and hang on the page where you put the long code in (follow instructions on page to get the unlock code you'll see what I'm talking about). I did it in Waterfox this go round and it sent the codes immediately . When you get it, follow Motorola's instructions for unlocking the bootloader in fastboot. It will show you that the bootloader is unlocked.

***NOTES SO YOU DON'T FREAK OUT***
1. Every time you power up the phone after you unlock the bootloader Moto will try and make you feel like crap with a bad throwing shade with a message that your phone is not to be trusted and the bootloader is unlocked. :laugh: This is normal. Give it a minute, you havent broke it.

2. There is no custom recovery/TWRP for this variant as of yet, so flashing the stock roms via fastboot is the only way to reset.

3. OEM Unlocking toggle switch is interesting. On my first phone it was activated once the bootloader is unlocked and greyed out to where it couldn't be accessed anymore. Same thing happened with my Moto G7Power so I'm assuming that's the new normal.

Files
If you tried to root like me and lost ALL touchscreen usability, then this is what you're going to have to do to come back from the paperweight abyss. First, pull out your Sim Card flashing. Yes, pull it out and flash without it. Flashing with the sim card/SD card in can cause problems flashing.

1. Get Minimal ADB and Fastboot (it's easier to use than Android SDK and smaller). Or you can use the Fastboot software of your choice. I used Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
2. Download the Motorola Drivers from their site (if you run into problems you will have to uninstall and reinstall them through their utility.
3. Cpu-Z.apk (This is a good thing to have to know your hardware responsibly).
4. Stock Firmware. I used XT2113_KIEV_RETUS_10_QZK30.Q4-40-55_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC_R1_CFC.xml which is the US Retail software instead of MetroPCS's firmware because I hate any branded US carrier bloatware and such and like that factory unlocked from the manufacturer feel. Both of my phones flashed fine with it and you can find it here: Moto One 5G Ace ALL Firmwares. It doesn't matter what your carrier is, they have them all there. Try them at your discretion and risk.

****Notes on Flashing The Stock Firmware****
The best way to find out what your codes are is to go to the flashfile.xml that is located in the rom you downloaded. Once you get that the best way to use it since it won't be legibile for flashing is to put it in the online flash converter here: Online FlashFile Converter And don't worry - flashing another stock won't relock the bootloader.

Also, just so you know, once you flash and boot the phone back up you MUST put the sim card back in or a message about the phone being locked once you begin to set it up will come up. Just pop it in enough to get past that screen then remove it. Last thing you want is your data updating the phone without your permission and you turning it off.

1. Extract the firmware to the folder where Minimal ADB & Fastboot are at on your computer.
2. Turn the phone completely OFF and back ON if you haven't done so yet. Make sure there is no Sim Card of SD card in it.
3. Press Volume Up and Power to boot into fastboot mode if you have no touchscreen access. If you do just reboot or turn the phone off and turn it back on the regular way.
4. Plug your phone via USB cable into the computer.
5. Open up Minimal ADB and Fastboot (Make sure you don't have it set to open this as an administrator, it messes with permissions) Make sure all your firmware files have been extracted in the Minimal ADB directory or it won't work.
7. Cut, Copy, and Paste in Fastboot All Together everything from the Online Flash File Converter. In my case since I used the RETUS version mine looked like this:
Code:
fastboot getvar max-sparse-size
fastboot oem fb_mode_set
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot flash radio radio.img
fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
fastboot flash dsp dspso.bin
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.7
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.8
fastboot erase carrier
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase metadata
fastboot erase ddr
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
echo -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo English - Process concluded!
echo Português - Processo concluído!
echo English - Press any key to restart the phone!
echo Português - Pressione qualquer tecla para reiniciar o celular!
echo -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pause
fastboot reboot
exit
8. When it is done it will stop. Hitting enter did not reboot my phone so I did it manually by hitting the Power button on START while still in flashboot.
9. That's it! You should have your phone officially flashed to firmware of your choice.

Hope this helps my fellow MetroPCSers. I lost ALL functionality of my touchscreen trying to root and with a little help from my XDA friends brought them back with this method. Old girl is working and now I'm working on a proper root with a proper matching boot.img.

And please, tinker with the little tyke responsibly. ;-P

Last edited:
Hi Articul8Madness,
Seems very cool. I'm new with XDA, and just got this moto one 5G ace from Metro as well. Are you recommending to flash it with the US retail ROM? Will it actually unlock the phone?
Tkx,
MH
I actually have the RETBRAZIL rom currently flashed to it, lol. But I've tried the RETUS, RETEU roms. The TMO and Sprint ROM will get you a MetroPCS load screen as its the same.

And no, it will not unlock the phone. MetroPCS ties the IMEI to the Sim Card. They will not unlock this phone even if you pay in full like I did for three consecutive months of service. This is why no one Sim Unlocks Metro phones.

Reactions: huayixin

huayixin

Jan 28, 2014
I actually have the RETBRAZIL rom currently flashed to it, lol. But I've tried the RETUS, RETEU roms. The TMO and Sprint ROM will get you a MetroPCS load screen as its the same.

And no, it will not unlock the phone. MetroPCS ties the IMEI to the Sim Card. They will not unlock this phone even if you pay in full like I did for three consecutive months of service. This is why no one Sim Unlocks Metro phones.
Thanks, really appreciate the insightful reply.

majored

Nov 25, 2013
old monroe
Moto G 5G
This tutorial is for people like me than ran into problems rooting the Moto One 5G Ace XT2113 (MetroPCS Qualcomm Variant) running on stock Android 10. I got this today after my beloved Moto G7Power's usb/charging port melted and fell out the phone after two and a half years and MetroPCS would NOT honor my insurance and replace the phone. Long story there. So far, this phone's been a good replacement but I'm still early in the game.

Follow the following at your own risk! I am not responsible for any mishaps with your devices. I also don't know if this will work on other variants, as I only have these for MetroPCS, and from my understanding this will NOT obviously work for Verizon, AT&T, and Cricket phones because you have to have the bootloader unlocked.

I want to thank @sd_shadow for pointing the way for me. This phone is a bit different being a new OS and a different updated Moto, and sd_shadow helped me get through the curious WTF now moments. This guide is solely for people like me that jumped head first into this phone with our variant trying to root and ran into some problems.

Introduction/Preparation
First, go and prepare by READING EVERYTHING OF THE FOLLOWING. Very important. Don't even jump into this without reading this thread here all the way to the last page: Motorola Guide To Flashing (this is so you know start to finish the differences between this model and maybe your previous models, plus the differences now between flashing Android 9 to 10, having an A/B system versus the new fastbootd mode).

Second, unlock the bootloader. The MetroPCS variant can be unlocked by Motorola; follow their instructions, it's easy peasy. Use their data tool to get the code formatted correctly or you may have problems. If you do it in firefox it may not go to the third step page and hang on the page where you put the long code in (follow instructions on page to get the unlock code you'll see what I'm talking about). I did it in Waterfox this go round and it sent the codes immediately . When you get it, follow Motorola's instructions for unlocking the bootloader in fastboot. It will show you that the bootloader is unlocked.

1. Every time you power up the phone after you unlock the bootloader Moto will try and make you feel like crap with a bad throwing shade with a message that your phone is not to be trusted and the bootloader is unlocked. :laugh: This is normal. Give it a minute, you havent broke it.

2. There is no custom recovery/TWRP for this variant as of yet, so flashing the stock roms via fastboot is the only way to reset.

3. OEM Unlocking toggle switch is interesting. On my first phone it was activated once the bootloader is unlocked and greyed out to where it couldn't be accessed anymore. Same thing happened with my Moto G7Power so I'm assuming that's the new normal.

Files
If you tried to root like me and lost ALL touchscreen usability, then this is what you're going to have to do to come back from the paperweight abyss. First, pull out your Sim Card flashing. Yes, pull it out and flash without it. Flashing with the sim card/SD card in can cause problems flashing.

1. Get Minimal ADB and Fastboot (it's easier to use than Android SDK and smaller). Or you can use the Fastboot software of your choice. I used Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
2. Download the Motorola Drivers from their site (if you run into problems you will have to uninstall and reinstall them through their utility.
4. Stock Firmware. I used XT2113_KIEV_RETUS_10_QZK30.Q4-40-55_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC_R1_CFC.xml which is the US Retail software instead of MetroPCS's firmware because I hate any branded US carrier bloatware and such and like that factory unlocked from the manufacturer feel. Both of my phones flashed fine with it and you can find it here: Moto One 5G Ace ALL Firmwares. It doesn't matter what your carrier is, they have them all there. Try them at your discretion and risk.

The best way to find out what your codes are is to go to the flashfile.xml that is located in the rom you downloaded. Once you get that the best way to use it since it won't be legibile for flashing is to put it in the online flash converter here: Online FlashFile Converter And don't worry - flashing another stock won't relock the bootloader.

Also, just so you know, once you flash and boot the phone back up you MUST put the sim card back in or a message about the phone being locked once you begin to set it up will come up. Just pop it in enough to get past that screen then remove it. Last thing you want is your data updating the phone without your permission and you turning it off.

1. Extract the firmware to the folder where Minimal ADB & Fastboot are at on your computer.
2. Turn the phone completely OFF and back ON if you haven't done so yet. Make sure there is no Sim Card of SD card in it.
3. Press Volume Up and Power to boot into fastboot mode if you have no touchscreen access. If you do just reboot or turn the phone off and turn it back on the regular way.
5. Open up Minimal ADB and Fastboot (Make sure you don't have it set to open this as an administrator, it messes with permissions) Make sure all your firmware files have been extracted in the Minimal ADB directory or it won't work.
7. Cut, Copy, and Paste in Fastboot All Together everything from the Online Flash File Converter. In my case since I used the RETUS version mine looked like this:
Code:
fastboot oem fb_mode_set
fastboot erase carrier
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase metadata
fastboot erase ddr
pause
fastboot reboot
exit
8. When it is done it will stop. Hitting enter did not reboot my phone so I did it manually by hitting the Power button on START while still in flashboot.
9. That's it! You should have your phone officially flashed to firmware of your choice.

Hope this helps my fellow MetroPCSers. I lost ALL functionality of my touchscreen trying to root and with a little help from my XDA friends brought them back with this method. Old girl is working and now I'm working on a proper root with a proper matching boot.img.

Nice walkthru . Does this phone support monitor mode? I dont wanna root this Beauty unless i can put this gear to work.
THANKS

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Articul8Madness,
    Seems very cool. I'm new with XDA, and just got this moto one 5G ace from Metro as well. Are you recommending to flash it with the US retail ROM? Will it actually unlock the phone?
    Tkx,
    MH

Nice walkthru . Does this phone support monitor mode? I dont wanna root this Beauty unless i can put this gear to work.
    THANKS
    Thanks. I don't know if it supports monitor mode or not as I haven't installed Kali Nethunter on it.

Introduction/Preparation

Files

Code:
    fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot erase carrier
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase metadata
    fastboot erase ddr
    pause
    fastboot reboot
    exit

Hi Articul8Madness,
    Tkx,
    MH

THANKS
    Thanks. I don't know if it supports monitor mode or not as I haven't installed Kali Nethunter on it.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone