General The Display issue Thread....(color fade, flickering, tints)

Search This thread

man1acc

Jun 16, 2012
Hey guys,

I havent seen a thread related to display issues. In 2 german Forums I found threads about various issues. From Color fade, to overall greenish tint or flickering screens.
Sadly I am very picky with display stuff and my Display isnt perfect either. I mostly use relatively low brigthness settings (around 30-40%) and on dark mode especially the settings menu has a color fade from dark grey to dark blue. This cant be seen on any other color.
Its easy to see in a dark room, the brighter the room the lesser you will notice.
To easier check: use telegram, with its blueish theme its definitely way stronger fading there...

For a phone thats 649€ in germany thats unacceptable for me. My P5 has a slight warmish but perfectly even colored display and thats what I expect from a P6.

What about you? Can anyone check their display if thats a common issue?

Attachments

• P6display.JPG
    P6display.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:

Cydras

Apr 20, 2011
Saarwellingen
Hi,
i have the same issue, also a device from germany.

Even when booting when everything is white, I always have multiple changes between white and blue in the display.

I'm at work, I try to take a picture when I get home.

Reactions: man1acc

Abnovitas

May 8, 2008
Google Pixel 6
Similar issues with my screen, also from Germany.
My first OLED screen had been with the Galaxy Note 1 and I hated it for its issues. Always bought devices with LCD screens afterwards.
The Pixel 6 is my first OLED phone since and it is having pretty much the same issues my Note had 10 years ago :(

Great phone so far (Android is still a bit buggy), but the display is quite a disappointment for me personally, at least for brightness levels below ~50%...

Attachments

• DarkModeOff.jpg
    DarkModeOff.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 498
  • DarkModeOn.jpg
    DarkModeOn.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 497
  • RedditAppEveningConditions.jpg
    RedditAppEveningConditions.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 500

Courtrick

Dec 12, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A71
Is it just me or are most of these issues regarding the display coming from Germany? Please can people state what country the device was purchased from if they have this issue

Abnovitas

May 8, 2008
Google Pixel 6
I just finished chatting with Google's support.
They are going to replace the phone, but I'm still waiting for their email with instructions.

But first they walked me through some superficial settings (disabling Dark Mode and some accessibility stuff, like Color Inversion...) and then tried to talk it off as a normal property of OLED displays, which I didn't accept to this extent. But hey, that's probably just Google's policy.

Let's see if this was just bad luck in the OLED lottery.

Cydras

Apr 20, 2011
Saarwellingen
For me its too difficult to take a picture with dark screen. The color change is slightly less than the picture from @man1acc

But i have problems with white color, it is light grey and i have green stripes on white, this is also very very difficult to make a picture.
Here you can see it a bit, but in real life it is much stronger

Attachments

• IMG_20211029_190847[1117].jpg
    IMG_20211029_190847[1117].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 342

atlantix1

Sep 27, 2011
This is how my display looks like. Quite disappointing, Google has the same problems for years. But the phone itself is very well built, so maybe I will keep it. Bought the phone in Germany.
696E8870-AE55-4D0F-9613-771DCA383755.jpeg

Deanicus

Jan 11, 2011
I have some rainbow effect which is mostly noticeable on white backgrounds. Hard to capture but found it is quite noticeable with an external light source. In this case my monitor. Anyone else have this or more importantly for a RMA, don't have it?

IMG_20211029_092350.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20211029_092242.mp4
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

DoobyDroid

Mar 17, 2013
tenbury wells
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Pixel 6 when on a black background the right side of the display has a green tint shadow effect kinda worrying as it's not present on the left side and seems to only appear on darker backgrounds like when pull notification tab down or in a app (like xda) with black background very noticeable , or is this just standard now for Oled displays it's not the first phone I've noticed this over the years just curious if any pixel 6 owners see similar or should I get it exchange ? Added pic not sure if shows that well though
Screenshot_20211029-221313.png

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Pixel 6 when on a black background the right side of the display has a green tint shadow effect kinda worrying as it's not present on the left side and seems to only appear on darker backgrounds like when pull notification tab down or in a app (like xda) with black background very noticeable , or is this just standard now for Oled displays it's not the first phone I've noticed this over the years just curious if any pixel 6 owners see similar or should I get it exchange ? Added pic not sure if shows that well though View attachment 5444907

Not normal. Each pixel is controlled individually.
It maybe hardware or firmware.
Sounds like the display control matrix wasn't designed properly or is defective.
Your screenshot isn't showing it so neither should the display!

Reactions: DoobyDroid

MichRT

Sep 9, 2011
Google Nexus 4
HTC Wildfire S
...Your screenshot isn't showing it so neither should the display!
Unfortunately not true. If it's an issue with the display, a screenshot should never show it. But it can be visible when a picture of it is taken.

My Pixel 6 (right) was bought first day from the Google Store. I'm in the USA. It has a very strong dirty red tint at the bottom and a garish green at the top. Easily visible at 60-70% brightness and lower. Here it is compared to my Pixel 4a (left), shot on my 3a. Haven't had uniformity issues this bad since my OG Pixel (which got replaced).

Waited to chat with a support rep for an hour, chatted for another hour, and have an RMA device ordered and on the way.

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    613.3 KB · Views: 272

DoobyDroid

Mar 17, 2013
tenbury wells
Google Pixel 6 Pro
That was a joke id never cross to the dark side lol and tint only seems visible when in certain dark mode apps and not actually navigating around the phone xda app is worse lol so don't think hardware issue tbh

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Unfortunately not true. If it's an issue with the display, a screenshot should never show it. But it can be visible when a picture of it is taken.

My Pixel 6 (right) was bought first day from the Google Store. I'm in the USA. It has a very strong dirty red tint at the bottom and a garish green at the top. Easily visible at 60-70% brightness and lower. Here it is compared to my Pixel 4a (left), shot on my 3a. Haven't had uniformity issues this bad since my OG Pixel (which got replaced).

Waited to chat with a support rep for an hour, chatted for another hour, and have an RMA device ordered and on the way.

Lol, read what I said again🤣
At any rate... that's a dud.

Just for giggles and kicks, see if lowering the refresh rate effects that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Had a conversation with Google Support, they are telling me it's normal OLED Color change out of different angles but where the **** is this rainbow thing a normal color change LOL
    Clearly they cut corners with the display. It's the same quality they used for the 5a ($449), it behaves exactly the same with the rainbow effect. For the P6 and 5a I have it's barely noticeable, not bad enough that I would go exchange them. I am paranoid when it comes to screens. When I asked my wife (who has the 5a now) to look at this on both phones, she asked me what I'm talking about and told me that I should get a life ( lol ).

After all, I paid the same price for two phones that I paid for the S21 Ultra, which definitely has not such issues (or any of the OnePlus phones I owned). Well, the S21 Ultra had other issues that I won't dive into.

If it's true that the P6 Pro does not have the issue I might look into exchanging the P6 for a P6 Pro.
    if you get a chance and have a BB or Target close by, do yourself a favor and check out the demo units to see if they have the same tint. I did and it's not a solution but comforting to see that they all have this to some degree. It's just not a Samsung or OnePlus display on these. I only paid $599 for mine so I ignore it - until I come across this thread again - ;)
    Yeah when I tested these in the store the regular pixel 6 had a yellowish white screen like mine (very different from the OnePlus 6t I came from which was way more blue-white). But it was way bright in the store so I didn't know if I could test the low brightness grey/green tint. I'll try tho! Worth a shot!
    Finally came across several users saying they don't have the rainbow/colour shifting issue so there is hope that a replacement would be better!

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qiyoz5
    Yeah when I tested these in the store the regular pixel 6 had a yellowish white screen like mine (very different from the OnePlus 6t I came from which was way more blue-white). But it was way bright in the store so I didn't know if I could test the low brightness grey/green tint. I'll try tho! Worth a shot!
    put your long coat on, go to the store and lean over the device to get it dark enough. then run when they call the police - lol
    I just returned my pixel 6 to cpw store and got a exchange this one so far doesn't seem to have the green hue down left side