General The Display issue Thread....(color fade, flickering, tints)

Search This thread

Flawn

Apr 8, 2016
Ffm 069
Meh... don't get mad, get even.
At this price point I expect a near flawless display.
Don't reward subpar performance; hold the manufacturer accountable. They shipped it knowing there was an issue.
The display is the primary interface making it impossible to fully ignore.

It seems like it's on all devices just more or less noticeable as it seems. I think it's actually everywhere the same but people react differently to it. And there isn't really a way to make them accountable than just returning.

lilrob1213

Dec 20, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Meh... don't get mad, get even.
At this price point I expect a near flawless display.
Don't reward subpar performance; hold the manufacturer accountable. They shipped it knowing there was an issue.
The display is the primary interface making it impossible to fully ignore.
It's not that I have a display issue, just a subpar display which is sounds like even the best pixel 6 displays don't match Samsung or OnePlus even. That I can live with.

Reactions: blackhawk and Flawn

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
It seems like it's on all devices just more or less noticeable as it seems. I think it's actually everywhere the same but people react differently to it. And there isn't really a way to make them accountable than just returning.
It may be a quirk of the variable rate displays.
I haven't sampled any of them. I known Samsung has been having issues with them since their implementation. The color rendering is lower, and problems at low brightness levels. Variable rate makes them harder to calibrate, which is already difficult on fixed rate displays. Some have constant current options for low brightness levels adding yet another calibration variable.
This was one of the reasons I stepped back from this year's releases was to go with a fixed rate display.

You may be correct... can't have your creamy smooth cake and eat it too.

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hey guys,

I havent seen a thread related to display issues. In 2 german Forums I found threads about various issues. From Color fade, to overall greenish tint or flickering screens.
Sadly I am very picky with display stuff and my Display isnt perfect either. I mostly use relatively low brigthness settings (around 30-40%) and on dark mode especially the settings menu has a color fade from dark grey to dark blue. This cant be seen on any other color.
Its easy to see in a dark room, the brighter the room the lesser you will notice.
To easier check: use telegram, with its blueish theme its definitely way stronger fading there...

For a phone thats 649€ in germany thats unacceptable for me. My P5 has a slight warmish but perfectly even colored display and thats what I expect from a P6.

What about you? Can anyone check their display if thats a common issue?
Just a sideways thought here. Since the power frequency in Germany is 50Hz and the device was developed in the US with 60Hz, I am wondering if this is effect is emphasized by the lower frequency. Some interference with the power source. Would be interesting to see if somebody can do this experiment on 50Hz vs 60Hz on the same device.

Of course I am assuming the device is plugged in and I haven't thought this all the way through
cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Just a sideways thought here. Since the power frequency in Germany is 50Hz and the device was developed in the US with 60Hz, I am wondering if this is effect is emphasized by the lower frequency. Some interference with the power source. Would be interesting to see if somebody can do this experiment on 50Hz vs 60Hz on the same device.

Of course I am assuming the device is plugged in and I haven't thought this all the way through
cheers
It's a switching power converter so as long as it's speced for 50hz it isn't an issue.
Usually these are pretty robust.

Reactions: derausgewanderte

Abnovitas

May 8, 2008
Google Pixel 6
I just finished chatting with Google's support.
They are going to replace the phone, but I'm still waiting for their email with instructions.

But first they walked me through some superficial settings (disabling Dark Mode and some accessibility stuff, like Color Inversion...) and then tried to talk it off as a normal property of OLED displays, which I didn't accept to this extent. But hey, that's probably just Google's policy.

Let's see if this was just bad luck in the OLED lottery.

Yesterday I got my replacement. The screen looks a bit better, but it's still far from perfect...
1636128344050.png

I'm going to keep it though. The gradient isn't as obvious as before. Still visible in the dark, but not that distracting anymore...
It's kinda funny, that the color where it's visible the most (dark grey) is pretty much the default background color for most apps (including Android itself).

I also attached my "test image" I used to take those photos, if anyone is interested. It's just a 1080x2400 solid dark grey image.

Attachments

• OLED Test.png
    OLED Test.png
    445 bytes · Views: 159
Reactions: IdroogI

lilrob1213

Dec 20, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Lol I noticed that too that the only time I notice anything slightly off with the screen is within Android settings themselves... If they just update the color scheme of android 12 to be slightly darker it probably would satisfy a lot of Google's customers 😆
Edit: maybe not satisfy already angry customers but would have less people notice in the first place

zeneszjaras

Jun 17, 2015
+1 from Germany
I made a short video too, where I noticed this display bug on the right bottom corner.
Without touching in few seconds it changes the colours.
I use the phone in dark mode, 60-90 Hz. First this bug I realised in play store but since then in some cases I see "everywhere" - like Options, Translate, Facebook.
I've got an answer from Google support, but I think it is not the rainbow effect, it is absolutely abnormal. I hope it is a software bug and in maximum few weeks the Google is finding the solution. But after a week of use for 650euro I'm disappointed with this phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211105-174254.png
    Screenshot_20211105-174254.png
    258.4 KB · Views: 73

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
+1 from Germany
I made a short video too, where I noticed this display bug on the right bottom corner.
Without touching in few seconds it changes the colours.
I use the phone in dark mode, 60-90 Hz. First this bug I realised in play store but since then in some cases I see "everywhere" - like Options, Translate, Facebook.
I've got an answer from Google support, but I think it is not the rainbow effect, it is absolutely abnormal. I hope it is a software bug and in maximum few weeks the Google is finding the solution. But after a week of use for 650euro I'm disappointed with this phone.
yeah, in these cases you need to be pretty strict with your language and argument. What strange kind of rainbows do they have in Googleland? When you contact them you need to tell them that your device apparently has a manufacturing problem with discoloration of the display without changing the angle, while looking at it straight on.

It looks like at least one person here on the forum was able to get an exchange three times. Your response to Googles will be simple. It's not the rainbow effect because this is happening without touching the phone or tilting it. It's a bad display and has a manufacturing defect - period.

good luck!

DoobyDroid

Mar 17, 2013
tenbury wells
Google Pixel 6 Pro
yeah, in these cases you need to be pretty strict with your language and argument. What strange kind of rainbows do they have in Googleland? When you contact them you need to tell them that your device apparently has a manufacturing problem with discoloration of the display without changing the angle, while looking at it straight on.

It looks like at least one person here on the forum was able to get an exchange three times. Your response to Googles will be simple. It's not the rainbow effect because this is happening without touching the phone or tilting it. It's a bad display and has a manufacturing defect - period.

good luck!
Yes I've now had 3 exchanges from carphone warehouse 3rd one is better than previous 2 but still suffers with a green hue in dark mode in certain scenarios like when you close apps running in background the black background it shows and in messages etc this one I currently have was similar to my first one down right side of the display left side is how you would expect it to be yet the right side it's almost brighter with green hue yet my second unit I returned was the opposite it was on the left side but not all the way down the side more half way but also further across the display (triangle shape) , I'm just thinking it's poor screen calibration or something similar as all 3 devices have had it in some sort of form thing is the more you notice it the more it annoys I don't no if this can be fixed with software update I read that Google are aware of issues with pro model with rainbow effect and green hue but every phone display would of been calibrated so pushing a update may help or may make it worse as every device display from my experience so far has been different in regards to the green hue or if you like light bleed as the side it's on seems brighter than the rest of the display , I don't no I'm no expert in this type of thing, debating now weather to return the 3rd unit but I think after 3 returns they will maybe only offer refund or exchange to different device , so not sure what to do wait and see if Google can fix it but by then my 14 days would of ended and if they cant address it I'm stuck with it or take back before my 14 days are up and get another but chances are it will be the same or as previous worse or get a different phone all together 🙄
But turning off dark mode problem gone, so could be a case live with it or don't use dark mode till fixed if it can be that is it's bit of a lottery really I read a Google statement saying it's normal for oled display well sorry I've had lots of oled cheaper phones that dont have it so not entirely believing that statement thanks Google 😂

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Yes I've now had 3 exchanges from carphone warehouse 3rd one is better than previous 2 but still suffers with a green hue in dark mode in certain scenarios like when you close apps running in background the black background it shows and in messages etc this one I currently have was similar to my first one down right side of the display left side is how you would expect it to be yet the right side it's almost brighter with green hue yet my second unit I returned was the opposite it was on the left side but not all the way down the side more half way but also further across the display (triangle shape) , I'm just thinking it's poor screen calibration or something similar as all 3 devices have had it in some sort of form thing is the more you notice it the more it annoys I don't no if this can be fixed with software update I read that Google are aware of issues with pro model with rainbow effect and green hue but every phone display would of been calibrated so pushing a update may help or may make it worse as every device display from my experience so far has been different in regards to the green hue or if you like light bleed as the side it's on seems brighter than the rest of the display , I don't no I'm no expert in this type of thing, debating now weather to return the 3rd unit but I think after 3 returns they will maybe only offer refund or exchange to different device , so not sure what to do wait and see if Google can fix it but by then my 14 days would of ended and if they cant address it I'm stuck with it or take back before my 14 days are up and get another but chances are it will be the same or as previous worse or get a different phone all together 🙄
But turning off dark mode problem gone, so could be a case live with it or don't use dark mode till fixed if it can be that is it's bit of a lottery really I read a Google statement saying it's normal for oled display well sorry I've had lots of oled cheaper phones that dont have it so not entirely believing that statement thanks Google 😂
Meh not normal at least not on a N10+

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211105-194210_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211105-194210_Gallery.jpg
    999.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20211105-194202_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211105-194202_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20211105-194134_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211105-194134_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20211105-194138_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211105-194138_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
Reactions: DoobyDroid

harvin_

Oct 31, 2021
I have the same issue. Also from germany. It's probably related to the 90hz.
Check it out (top part):
I noticed that if I don't move the screen the display goes back to normal (I would say its still visible but not that big anymore). So I turned of smooth display and you can see the switch of the top part color. Only visible on grey background (dark mode, youtube, twitter kinda).
Not quite sure if the display is broken oder it's a software issue. I would still think its a display issue.

Tried to set the developer settings to force 90hz all the time. Unfortunately, the dark area is visible all the time than...
Just wanted to give an update on this issue: I bought another Pixel 6 from a local store (Saturn) and what a surprise, same issue as in the video/my other phone. Returned it directly. Seems like the current batch is just broken.

• Sad

Sokrape

Jun 7, 2016
Just wanted to give an update on this issue: I bought another Pixel 6 from a local store (Saturn) and what a surprise, same issue as in the video/my other phone. Returned it directly. Seems like the current batch is just broken.
Hey !
I have exactly the same concern. Brief flickering when the screen goes from 90 to 60hz. for now I am using the phone at 60hz only, which is a bit of a shame. It is visible in dark mode, light is ok. Having had the Pixel 4, I had never seen this problem.
J I bought the phone in France ... I don't know how much this can be fixed via ota ... Other than that the screen is ok.

I hesitate to ask for an exchange ...

• Sad

harvin_

Oct 31, 2021
Hey !
I have exactly the same concern. Brief flickering when the screen goes from 90 to 60hz. for now I am using the phone at 60hz only, which is a bit of a shame. It is visible in dark mode, light is ok. Having had the Pixel 4, I had never seen this problem.
J I bought the phone in France ... I don't know how much this can be fixed via ota ... Other than that the screen is ok.

I hesitate to ask for an exchange ...
My provider said they will receive a new batch around 5th of november. I ordered another one and hope it will arrive next week. I can update if the issue is still there with the new batch of phones or if it was just with the initial ones.

DoobyDroid

Mar 17, 2013
tenbury wells
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Returned 3rd device yesterday definitely suspect All had similar issues 2nd & 3rd devices were from different cpw stores in different countys UK, definitely wasn't getting a forth opted for refund instead will look elsewhere for now maybe issues with early batches getting rushed out and poor QC to meet deadlines maybe,
just wasn't confident It could be addressed in Dec ota when my return window would of long passed
Along with the mediocre speaker quality, iffy fingerprint scanner , overheating watching video , no face Id and sketchy android 12 was enough for me to get shot while I could , will see what the next installment from google brings in the future this time are pass thanks Google

Solitario88

Feb 17, 2013
Pixel 6 when on a black background the right side of the display has a green tint shadow effect kinda worrying as it's not present on the left side and seems to only appear on darker backgrounds like when pull notification tab down or in a app (like xda) with black background very noticeable , or is this just standard now for Oled displays it's not the first phone I've noticed this over the years just curious if any pixel 6 owners see similar or should I get it exchange ? Added pic not sure if shows that well though View attachment 5444907
Same here....solution?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Had a conversation with Google Support, they are telling me it's normal OLED Color change out of different angles but where the **** is this rainbow thing a normal color change LOL
    Clearly they cut corners with the display. It's the same quality they used for the 5a ($449), it behaves exactly the same with the rainbow effect. For the P6 and 5a I have it's barely noticeable, not bad enough that I would go exchange them. I am paranoid when it comes to screens. When I asked my wife (who has the 5a now) to look at this on both phones, she asked me what I'm talking about and told me that I should get a life ( lol ).

After all, I paid the same price for two phones that I paid for the S21 Ultra, which definitely has not such issues (or any of the OnePlus phones I owned). Well, the S21 Ultra had other issues that I won't dive into.

If it's true that the P6 Pro does not have the issue I might look into exchanging the P6 for a P6 Pro.
    if you get a chance and have a BB or Target close by, do yourself a favor and check out the demo units to see if they have the same tint. I did and it's not a solution but comforting to see that they all have this to some degree. It's just not a Samsung or OnePlus display on these. I only paid $599 for mine so I ignore it - until I come across this thread again - ;)
    Yeah when I tested these in the store the regular pixel 6 had a yellowish white screen like mine (very different from the OnePlus 6t I came from which was way more blue-white). But it was way bright in the store so I didn't know if I could test the low brightness grey/green tint. I'll try tho! Worth a shot!
    Finally came across several users saying they don't have the rainbow/colour shifting issue so there is hope that a replacement would be better!

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qiyoz5
    Yeah when I tested these in the store the regular pixel 6 had a yellowish white screen like mine (very different from the OnePlus 6t I came from which was way more blue-white). But it was way bright in the store so I didn't know if I could test the low brightness grey/green tint. I'll try tho! Worth a shot!
    put your long coat on, go to the store and lean over the device to get it dark enough. then run when they call the police - lol
    I just returned my pixel 6 to cpw store and got a exchange this one so far doesn't seem to have the green hue down left side