The End of the Nooks

Search This thread

jeanpascalc

Aug 27, 2006
That's it folks.
B&N is pulling the plug on its Nook line of products.
Still love my emmc CM10.1 Nook HD+... Hope it will still get some love from verygreen and other great devs!

Source:
businesswire.com/news/home/20130625005839/en/Barnes-Noble-Reports-Fiscal-2013-Year-End-Financial

(Sorry can't post links yet...)

Ardent_V

Jun 22, 2013
Not exactly the end. "the company’s tablet line will be co-branded with yet to be announced third party manufacturers of consumer electronics products" means there's at least a possibility that Nooks will just go a sort of Nexus route, i.e. the new manufacturer covers the hardware and gets hardware profits but the device still has B&N branding. Of course, it could just be a normal tablet with the Nook app preinstalled, but we shall see.

dalex7777

Feb 4, 2010
Houston
Not exactly the end. "the company’s tablet line will be co-branded with yet to be announced third party manufacturers of consumer electronics products" means there's at least a possibility that Nooks will just go a sort of Nexus route, i.e. the new manufacturer covers the hardware and gets hardware profits but the device still has B&N branding. Of course, it could just be a normal tablet with the Nook app preinstalled, but we shall see.

This will most likely be with Microsoft and a Windows RT or Windows 8.x product. They put $300m USD into B&N in April 2012, and they are looking for a way to grow the ailing Surface RT business.

Although B&N says they are committed to supporting NOOK HD & NOOK HD+ owners, you see how quickly NOOKcolor & NOOK Tablet owners were left in the wind. Give it a year to wind down the Android business and expect a new, Windows based product sometime holiday season this year or early summer (reading season) next year.

HiddenG

Nov 5, 2011
Manchester
It's not 100% clear if the Nook range will end or not. What is clear however, is that Nook will stop manufacturing Nook's. The two statements I have just made are not the same.

Nook will stop manufacturing their Nook tablets, and are looking for a partner to manufacturer new tablets. Since manufacturing takes a big bite of their operating costs, manufacturing will be withheld. So perhaps the HD and HD+ will continue to sell, but will no longer be manufactured by Nook, but by another manufacturer. They may replicate the Nook HD and HD+, or they may manufacture completely different Nooks for B&N.

Or perhaps, the new tablet range will no longer be called "Nook" by B&N? Only time will tell, but this isn't the end. I believe it's the start of something new. ;)

My sources:
http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/...tners-with-third-party-manufacturers-instead/
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ok-on-its-nook-tablet-manufacturing-business/
http://www.geekosystem.com/no-more-nooks/

Reactions: RhinoNelson

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
At the VERY tail end of inventory depletion they MIGHT push the balance out at $100 for a 16GB HD+, but I doubt it. They will bleed stock at the current loss of margin, but not seeing them eat any more than they are now. The device is selling fairly well now.... which will also result in more loss for the next quarter at the current price. They would be nuts to drop more unless already accrued as a bigger loss, but not likely.

The next Nook related device would be a Microsoft product, so no more Android regardless.

9v9

Jul 26, 2010
Underground
Maybe if they supported developers and opened their system up and not lock in down in the beginning, then their profits wouldn't be so low. People don't want corporations making the choices of what you can/can't install on your device.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Maybe if they supported developers and opened their system up and not lock in down in the beginning, then their profits wouldn't be so low. People don't want corporations making the choices of what you can/can't install on your device.

As folks have mentioned, the model for this device was sell at near loss at current price and make it up with their locked in app store. It was a Catch 22, since your point and the market option was key in the device failure. That said, the build, display, general performance and battery life make it IMO the perfect tablet for comics, books, emulators, games and media. For the price and using CM 10.1, it is a no-brainer.

For emulators, it is better than than my two tablets with the Tegra 3 chipet and sleep mode battery drain is FAR better. The only tablet that is better in the sleep mode regard is the iPad. For Android, this is the best tablet I have owned for sleep mode drain and I had or tested about every main-stream tablet that exisits at one time or another. Most Android tablets are not too good for sleep mode drain- especially Tegra 3.

Poke_N_PDA

Jul 26, 2005
Edmond, OK
Should be an even bigger price drop to sell off the stock. May snap up a few more if the HD+ goes to $100 or less.

just depends on how well they are selling at the current prices. HD+ at $149 is an absolute steal. I just picked one up yesterday. Google has waited too long to announce the Nexus 7. This may prevent me from getting one.

tyepye

May 31, 2013
It's a shame it hasn't been making them money as it really is a quality bit of kit for the price point.

I was for the Nexus 7 for a long time but when this got google apps the extra screen real estate was a big plus (I read mags/comics on it) for not much extra weight.

Hopefully they get a quality third party to continue the manufacturing.

I also think though that they need to advertise the device better. I knew nothing about the HD+ until google apps appeared on it and was across more mainstream tech news sites that I read.

Poke_N_PDA

Jul 26, 2005
Edmond, OK
It's a shame it hasn't been making them money as it really is a quality bit of kit for the price point.

I was for the Nexus 7 for a long time but when this got google apps the extra screen real estate was a big plus (I read mags/comics on it) for not much extra weight.

Hopefully they get a quality third party to continue the manufacturing.

I also think though that they need to advertise the device better. I knew nothing about the HD+ until google apps appeared on it and was across more mainstream tech news sites that I read.

I agree. The extra screen real estate is great. Also, I love that they used a wider (in portrait) screen than most (who are using 16:10). For tablets, it makes much more sense. I actually wish they would take it a step farther and go 4:3 like iPad. Currently, the only tablets I aware of that do this is the Archos tablets. Tablets really are best for use with a 4:3 ratio.

My only annoyance is the settings for density. Everything seems WAAAAYYY too small for my eyes on this puppy. I'm definitly going to be adjusting it once I get CM loaded up.

Last edited:

tyepye

May 31, 2013
I agree. The extra screen real estate is great. Also, I love that they used a wider (in portrait) screen than most (who are using 16:10). For tablets, it makes much more sense. I actually wish they would take it a step farther and go 4:3 like iPad. Currently, the only tablets I aware of that do this is the Archos tablets. Tablets really are best for use with a 4:3 ratio.

My only annoyance is the settings for density. Everything seems WAAAAYYY too small for my eyes on this puppy. I'm definitly going to be adjusting it once I get CM loaded up.

Dont have that problem myself. Everything seems crisp and clear.

rhinemaiden

Aug 21, 2013
I bought a Nook HD + a week ago... for tablet use, not for reading books (I prefer paper in my hands), the Nook HD+ is a great device for my intended use... and the price was right! Found a Microsoft BT keyboard (mobile keyboard 6000) that works perfectly with the HD+. I give it 2 thumbsup!

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone