Question The laptop can't boot from USB drive

Search This thread

Kristal9

Jun 12, 2022
During last several days I try to do clean installation of Windows 10 on my laptop. My laptop is Asus K70AB. When I try to boot from USB drive which has installation distributive I get different errors. I tried Media Creation Tool, Rufus, Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, nothing works. I tried several USB drives and tried to boot via every USB port of laptop. I did tens of successful clean installations of Windows on different computers(including this laptop), but now I faced with this problem. All my USB drives are 100% ok, because even now I can boot from every from them on other computers. I formated HDD of this laptop via my other PC, but it doesn't help. I have 210 version of BIOS, when I try to update to 211 I get an error.

Maybe someone knows how to solve this problem?

When I try to boot from USB drive which I made via Media Creation Tool I get this error.
XSpdJde.jpg

When I try to boot from USB drive which I made via Rufus with MBR I get this error.
sNpi8e3.jpg

When I try to boot from USB drive which I made via Rufus with GPT I get this error.

0jyVSG1.jpg

When I try to do built-in installation of Windows(not clean) I get this error.
MdPO4kr.png

When I try to boot from USB drive with Slax 15.0.0 64-bit based on Slackware(booting USB drive is MBR NTFS) I get this error.
62f0755575c10745617716.jpg

When I try to boot from USB drive with Slax 11.4.0 64-bit based on Debian(booting USB drive is GPT FAT32) I get this error.

62f07556bd529664209511.jpg

But boot mode of my laptop detects my USB drive.
xdA2MQv.jpg

BIOS settings

NTFtc25.jpg

hwAdHLJ.jpg

3dkbJp8.jpg

62f1c6c2e31dd069081730.jpg

62f1c6c485b40688729589.jpg

SveKa

May 21, 2016
Europe
Hey looks like a very unusual problem to me. In doubt got an equal error with my old laptop .
Solved this by installing windows on another device on a blank ssd and then put it into old laptop to be able to boot.

SveKa

May 21, 2016
Europe
Which message do you get when you disable quiet boot, Oboard Lan Boot Rom ?
Maybe change also Sata Type to AHCI and check UEFI Settings.
Or use rufus to generate exact uefi/legacy boot stick.. maybe your stick itself isnt bootable.

Kristal9

Jun 12, 2022
Which message do you get when you disable quiet boot, Oboard Lan Boot Rom ?
The same like they are enabled.
Maybe change also Sata Type to AHCI and check UEFI Settings.
This laptop doesn't support UEFI.
Or use rufus to generate exact uefi/legacy boot stick
You can see my screenshots, I did it yet.
maybe your stick itself isnt bootable
You can read my first post. I have a lot of USB drives. And 4 days ago I booted from each of them via another PC.

Concept48

Dec 26, 2021
Sony Xperia M
The same like they are enabled.

This laptop doesn't support UEFI.

You can see my screenshots, I did it yet.

You can read my first post. I have a lot of USB drives. And 4 days ago I booted from each of them via another PC.
During last several days I try to do clean installation of Windows 10 on my laptop. My laptop is Asus K70AB. When I try to boot from USB drive which has installation distributive I get different errors. I tried Media Creation Tool, Rufus, Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, nothing works. I tried several USB drives and tried to boot via every USB port of laptop. I did tens of successful clean installations of Windows on different computers(including this laptop), but now I faced with this problem. All my USB drives are 100% ok, because even now I can boot from every from them on other computers. I formated HDD of this laptop via my other PC, but it doesn't help. I have 210 version of BIOS, when I try to update to 211 I get an error.

Maybe someone knows how to solve this problem?

When I try to boot from USB drive which I made via Media Creation Tool I get this error.
XSpdJde.jpg

When I try to boot from USB drive which I made via Rufus with MBR I get this error.
sNpi8e3.jpg

When I try to boot from USB drive which I made via Rufus with GPT I get this error.

0jyVSG1.jpg

When I try to do built-in installation of Windows(not clean) I get this error.
MdPO4kr.png

When I try to boot from USB drive with Slax 15.0.0 64-bit based on Slackware(booting USB drive is MBR NTFS) I get this error.
62f0755575c10745617716.jpg

When I try to boot from USB drive with Slax 11.4.0 64-bit based on Debian(booting USB drive is GPT FAT32) I get this error.

62f07556bd529664209511.jpg

But boot mode of my laptop detects my USB drive.
xdA2MQv.jpg

BIOS settings

NTFtc25.jpg

hwAdHLJ.jpg

3dkbJp8.jpg

62f1c6c2e31dd069081730.jpg

62f1c6c485b40688729589.jpg
Hit F9 , in the Bios accept the settings , Set first drive to USB to boot and creation USB . in rufus select MBR not GPT , and try again ..,

Kristal9

Jun 12, 2022
The USB drive you've been trying to boot from.

See if that drive works on another computer, and try a different drive if you have one available.
Bro, I am sure you didn't read my first post completely, only partly. Because there is this important information.
This
I tried several USB drives and tried to boot via every USB port of laptop.
And this
All my USB drives are 100% ok, because even now I can boot from every of them on other computers.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Bro, I am sure you didn't read my first post completely, only partly. Because there is this important information.
This

And this
I am not your "bro".

I was mainly responding to this:
When I try to boot from USB drive which has installation distributive I get different errors.
But my mistake.

If every one of your drives is able to boot on other PCs but not this laptop, you have the common denominator - the laptop. It sounds to me like a broken/buggy BIOS, especially given that attempting to update the BIOS results in an error.

Have you tried clearing CMOS/NVRAM? This may be difficult seeing as it's a laptop; removing the CMOS battery in my Alienware 17 requires complete disassembly as it's not accessible unless the mainboard is removed from the chassis. However, many OEMs provide some means of clearing CMOS/NVRAM by a key combo.

Reactions: Concept48

Concept48

Dec 26, 2021
Sony Xperia M
I am not your "bro".

But my mistake.

If every one of your drives is able to boot on other PCs but not this laptop, you have the common denominator - the laptop. It sounds to me like a broken/buggy BIOS, especially given that attempting to update the BIOS results in an error.

Have you tried clearing CMOS/NVRAM? This may be difficult seeing as it's a laptop; removing the CMOS battery in my Alienware 17 requires complete disassembly as it's not accessible unless the mainboard is removed from the chassis. However, many OEMs provide some means of clearing CMOS/NVRAM by a key combo.
You sure ? I thought you were my bro !! :p

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Can I reflash BIOS of this laptop?
I don't know. You'd have to check the Asus website to see if they still have your current BIOS version, although updating it would generally be better.
No. But I reseted BIOS settings to default of manufacture. Should I buy a new CMOS or just to plug out and plug in it?
No, the CMOS is usually soldered to the board. CMOS = Complimentary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor...which in contemporary terms means almost every integrated circuit and chip.

Resetting BIOS through the setup isn't quite the same as clearing all values. If you're able to access the BIOS battery (most likely by removing the bottom of the laptop) you can remove it and short the terminals for about 60 seconds. I searched for some information on your laptop and unfortunately the user manual wasn't any help.

Nah, I'm way too good looking to be related to you :D

• Love
Reactions: Concept48

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This

And this
    I am not your "bro".

When I try to boot from USB drive which has installation distributive I get different errors.
    But my mistake.

Can I reflash BIOS of this laptop?
    I don't know. You'd have to check the Asus website to see if they still have your current BIOS version, although updating it would generally be better.
    No. But I reseted BIOS settings to default of manufacture. Should I buy a new CMOS or just to plug out and plug in it?
    No, the CMOS is usually soldered to the board. CMOS = Complimentary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor...which in contemporary terms means almost every integrated circuit and chip.

Resetting BIOS through the setup isn't quite the same as clearing all values. If you're able to access the BIOS battery (most likely by removing the bottom of the laptop) you can remove it and short the terminals for about 60 seconds. I searched for some information on your laptop and unfortunately the user manual wasn't any help.

Nah, I'm way too good looking to be related to you :D