The LG G5 ≡ Will you get one/upgrade ≡ [Discussion]

Search This thread

Smithfolk4

Jul 21, 2014
Rockville, MD
I am seriously looking at this phone. I think the S7 edge would be a good choice, but the chances of getting root or an unlocked bootloader seem very slim for that. Even the T-mobile phones are locked down although those guys have quite a campaign with Samsung and T-mobile to get them unlocked. Unfortunately I am stuck on Verizon for at least another year or so.

Is there anything that we can do, XDA community as a whole, to encourage the carriers to allow us to unlock the bootloaders on our phones? I am just thinking about the XDA T-mobile S7 edge campaign going on right now. I have helped them out even though I don't have an S7 or use T-mobile.

Since it is more likely to get root on the G5 I am leaning toward it. I see that the Verizon V10 just got root.

I have the G3 and like the screen size, but I guess 0.2 inches smaller won't be a big difference. I am also not too worried about the slightly smaller battery. Smaller screen and more efficient processor ought to hold battery life about the same as the G3 (if we can get root and use some battery saving apps).

I think I will wait and see if the G5, S7 edge, or even the Note 6 get rooted or unlocked bootloaders, then pick up the first one that does. Just not too optimistic about the Samsung devices.

sstanton86

Oct 6, 2011
Oxford
I am seriously looking at this phone. I think the S7 edge would be a good choice, but the chances of getting root or an unlocked bootloader seem very slim for that. Even the T-mobile phones are locked down although those guys have quite a campaign with Samsung and T-mobile to get them unlocked. Unfortunately I am stuck on Verizon for at least another year or so.

Is there anything that we can do, XDA community as a whole, to encourage the carriers to allow us to unlock the bootloaders on our phones? I am just thinking about the XDA T-mobile S7 edge campaign going on right now. I have helped them out even though I don't have an S7 or use T-mobile.

Since it is more likely to get root on the G5 I am leaning toward it. I see that the Verizon V10 just got root.

I have the G3 and like the screen size, but I guess 0.2 inches smaller won't be a big difference. I am also not too worried about the slightly smaller battery. Smaller screen and more efficient processor ought to hold battery life about the same as the G3 (if we can get root and use some battery saving apps).

I think I will wait and see if the G5, S7 edge, or even the Note 6 get rooted or unlocked bootloaders, then pick up the first one that does. Just not too optimistic about the Samsung devices.

I can't comment on the g3. But I currently own an lg g4 and an s7e (which is in bubble wrap ready to send back to o2 in the uk).

Although it's a nice phone, the camera is crap. My lg g4 absolutely smashes it out the park in raw/manual mode. Also LG G4 manual software is close to perfection whereas Samsung's is fiddly and not as intuitive.

Reactions: Smithfolk4

Smithfolk4

Jul 21, 2014
Rockville, MD
Thanks

I can't comment on the g3. But I currently own an lg g4 and an s7e (which is in bubble wrap ready to send back to o2 in the uk).

Although it's a nice phone, the camera is crap. My lg g4 absolutely smashes it out the park in raw/manual mode. Also LG G4 manual software is close to perfection whereas Samsung's is fiddly and not as intuitive.

I appreciate the insight. I like the G3. I am running a stock based ROM, but it is debloated and rooted with . Seems to work really well. I have recently just gotten the itch to get a new phone even though the G3 is still going strong. I think the G5 will be very nice, but will wait until a few folks get their hands on it and hopefully root it.

tango007

Mar 16, 2016
jaipur
LG G5

LG G5 comes with quite Classic features. The Dual SIM smartphone runs on the Android OS, v6.0 Marshmallow platform. The device sports 4GB RAM and 32 GB internal storage. It is packed with front and rear camera. On the connectivity front, it offers 3G, 4G, GPRS/ EDGE, GPS/ A-GPS, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Micro-USB 2.0, and Bluetooth 4.20 options.

Operating Freq GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
OS Android OS, v6.0 (Marshmallow)
Processor Quad Core, 2.2 GHz...
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
No Of SIM Dual Sim
Type IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 5.3 inches, 1440 x 2560 pixels
Messaging SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, IM, Push Email
Browser HTML5
Games yes
Music Player MP3/WAV/eAAC+ player
Video Player MP4/H.264 player
Colors Silver, Titan, Gold, Pink
GPS Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS

MadMax

Oct 27, 2010
Edmonton
So I held the G5 yesterday and I have to say it feels good. The camera hump is not as big as I thought it would be and it is smooth as hell. Now I only got a quick look but I will be playing with it more on the 30th when I go to the training event for the g5. All I know is when the phone come out on the 8th, as long as it is available for my staff discount, I am buying it.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: gie62001

Itchiee

Sep 30, 2007
Somewhere Else
I'm considering it. I had the G2 in the past and really liked it but moved over to Samsung once LG released the G3. I really wanted the s7 edge but Samsung forgot to include an ir blaster... I mean they sell televisions, audio and all types of stuff but don't want people to control it, ugh.

I think LG should have went a little bigger in the battery department but we'll see what happens with future "upgrades" which is what's really enticing me. Get the audio one and some nice headphones for work... Get my music going.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

cal777flyer

Sep 20, 2011
I think LG should have went a little bigger in the battery department but we'll see what happens with future "upgrades" which is what's really enticing me.
Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

According to the Geekbench battery rundown test the SOT for the LG G5 is identical to the S7 (6:56:30), even with the smaller battery. Here is the link to the review this info is coming from:

http://www.greenbot.com/article/3045340/android/lg-g5-benchmarks.html

Reactions: Itchiee

manaox2

Oct 1, 2010
According to the Geekbench battery rundown test the SOT for the LG G5 is identical to the S7 (6:56:30), even with the smaller battery. Here is the link to the review this info is coming from:

I'm surprised at all the G4 users saying the G5 didn't offer too much incentive to upgrade, while also complaining about the G4 performance. I felt that way when the G4 came out and I had a G3, but not about the G5. First off, this phone finally has the specs (4Gb RAM, Snapdragon 820 and Adreno 530) to properly run at the resolution the G3 and G4 choked on. If you check the 3D Mark scores in the quoted link, it has literally 5x faster 3D performance than the G4! It also is the first Android device I've seen with access to the Vulkin API for low level hardware control. This processor runs using 30% less energy while being 54% faster than the 810, so while it's not a bigger battery, it's 14nm vs 20nm production will allow it to go much farther than you probably expect. http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/snapdragon-820-vs-snapdragon-810 The 820 kryo cores are also benchmarked running cooler than the 808 and especially 810 which had the overheating and throttling issues.

The G5's 135 degree camera will finally allow you to take a picture of something large in tight spaces, even the G5 narrow camera has a wider FOV. It has an iR blaster. It has a removable battery. It has quick charge 3.0 and USB type-C that Samsung does not. It's always on display is actually useful for more than just the time which Samsung only allows notifications from it's own apps. It is not a fingerprint magnet and it doesn't have a glass back plus a horrible iFixIt repair rating. It doesn't have wireless charging, but if the type C port somehow wears out (Even though it's much more rugged), you can likely just replace the bottom portion of the phone (If LG doesn't offer it separately, I guess get the DAC). It's battery life for screen on time is nearly identical in benchmarks with the S7. LG has always had great standby battery life as well. LG usually has a stronger radio, though I'm not sure how the metal casing will affect that. I'm addicted to the tap on and tap off screen function.

Samsung's S7 may only have 12 Mp on the rear compared to the G5 16 Mp, but it does have the f/1.7 aperture compared to the f/1.8 of the G5 and S6 that lets in 25% more light and a better lens that allows it to allow in up 95% more light than the S6 for low light pictures. The S7 edge has a 3600 mAh battery, compared to the G5 2800 and the S7 3000. The S7 is also water and dust resistant. Some people may still enjoy the physical button.

The biggest downfall of the S7 with the Qualcomm snapdragon is that it is super locked down as they are more concerned than ever about Samsung Pay taking off. It is not ever likely to see permanent root with any US carrier version including T-mobile, at best it will have to be rerooted with a live exploit after each and every boot. http://www.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7-bootloader-lock-explained-you-might-not-get-aosp-after-all/

Samsung is notoriously slow with updates, LG is especially fast for updating carrier flagship devices, meaning usually within a few months of an Android OS release. LG is more likely to get root and possibly a way around the boot loader lock, but I'm not holding my breath. Basically, it's still very early days to judge either phone, especially the G5. Wait for users to get their hands on them for a little while.

Last edited:

g5test

Mar 22, 2016
Anyone know if the G5 has got rid of the video OIS warp and wobble? It's bad on the G4. It makes the entire image shift when panning from left to right.

The image also shimmers terribly:
youtube.com/watch?v=YMClfeeZbB0&feature=youtu.be&t=172

Here is the warp on the V10 (applies to the G4 as well):
youtube.com/watch?v=T16u_Jped0Q

Last edited:

cal777flyer

Sep 20, 2011
For anyone interested in the G5 camera performance, check out 'MrIgorTv' youtube channel. He has some amazing videos showcasing the camera's abilities. I'm getting excited about this phone now.

Mojar7070

Jan 25, 2013
hello,

I'll be honest i didn't search the thread for a similar post, so i apologize in advance.

I've recently purchased a international version of the Galaxy s7, the Exynos variant. It's a awesome device. However, I am planning to purchase a LG G5 as well. I've read some post on some of the S7 forums and it seems that the ATT version SD820 variant has been very hit or miss on performance, battery management and also overheating is an issue.

With both device having the SD 820, is there a possibility the the G5 will have similar issues??

DoKaTSuYa

Jun 11, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
hello,

I'll be honest i didn't search the thread for a similar post, so i apologize in advance.

I've recently purchased a international version of the Galaxy s7, the Exynos variant. It's a awesome device. However, I am planning to purchase a LG G5 as well. I've read some post on some of the S7 forums and it seems that the ATT version SD820 variant has been very hit or miss on performance, battery management and also overheating is an issue.

With both device having the SD 820, is there a possibility the the G5 will have similar issues??

No, only Samsung can has that kind of problem.

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
hello,

Wait a bit till some more reports drop in to see if it's just samsung which has SD820 problems or if it's still a general problem of the qualcomm SoC.

No, only Samsung can has that kind of problem.

Sure, that's why the 801 and 810 had major heating problems all over the board and not just at samsung devices.

Reactions: Mojar7070

Mojar7070

Jan 25, 2013
@DoKaTSuYa @Tectas

thank you for your reponse. I guess its a waiting game at this point. Until people get the device and start testing, benchmarking, day to day usage etc etc. we can only hope. Im HOPING all is well cause I really want to use that camera module.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are there enough improvements, changes in the new LG G5, to entice you?

Specs (projected):
    LG%20G5%20Specs.PNG

Full specs: phoneArena.com

Chime in, what are your thoughts?
    I will never understand XDA Forums. People with different manufacturers phone hang out in a area for a phone they don't have so they can slag it off. I'm in the LG area because I want one, but I feel I should be in the Samsung section moaning how much I hate them since I don't have one.

"I have X, had a Y hated it so Z must be crap!"

I'm surprised at all the G4 users saying the G5 didn't offer too much incentive to upgrade, while also complaining about the G4 performance. I felt that way when the G4 came out and I had a G3, but not about the G5. First off, this phone finally has the specs (4Gb RAM, Snapdragon 820 and Adreno 530) to properly run at the resolution the G3 and G4 choked on. If you check the 3D Mark scores in the quoted link, it has literally 5x faster 3D performance than the G4! It also is the first Android device I've seen with access to the Vulkin API for low level hardware control. This processor runs using 30% less energy while being 54% faster than the 810, so while it's not a bigger battery, it's 14nm vs 20nm production will allow it to go much farther than you probably expect. http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/snapdragon-820-vs-snapdragon-810 The 820 kryo cores are also benchmarked running cooler than the 808 and especially 810 which had the overheating and throttling issues.

The G5's 135 degree camera will finally allow you to take a picture of something large in tight spaces, even the G5 narrow camera has a wider FOV. It has an iR blaster. It has a removable battery. It has quick charge 3.0 and USB type-C that Samsung does not. It's always on display is actually useful for more than just the time which Samsung only allows notifications from it's own apps. It is not a fingerprint magnet and it doesn't have a glass back plus a horrible iFixIt repair rating. It doesn't have wireless charging, but if the type C port somehow wears out (Even though it's much more rugged), you can likely just replace the bottom portion of the phone (If LG doesn't offer it separately, I guess get the DAC). It's battery life for screen on time is nearly identical in benchmarks with the S7. LG has always had great standby battery life as well. LG usually has a stronger radio, though I'm not sure how the metal casing will affect that. I'm addicted to the tap on and tap off screen function.

Samsung's S7 may only have 12 Mp on the rear compared to the G5 16 Mp, but it does have the f/1.7 aperture compared to the f/1.8 of the G5 and S6 that lets in 25% more light and a better lens that allows it to allow in up 95% more light than the S6 for low light pictures. The S7 edge has a 3600 mAh battery, compared to the G5 2800 and the S7 3000. The S7 is also water and dust resistant. Some people may still enjoy the physical button.

The biggest downfall of the S7 with the Qualcomm snapdragon is that it is super locked down as they are more concerned than ever about Samsung Pay taking off. It is not ever likely to see permanent root with any US carrier version including T-mobile, at best it will have to be rerooted with a live exploit after each and every boot. http://www.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7-bootloader-lock-explained-you-might-not-get-aosp-after-all/

Samsung is notoriously slow with updates, LG is especially fast for updating carrier flagship devices, meaning usually within a few months of an Android OS release. LG is more likely to get root and possibly a way around the boot loader lock, but I'm not holding my breath. Basically, it's still very early days to judge either phone, especially the G5. Wait for users to get their hands on them for a little while.
    I'm looking forward to seeing it out BUT I'll never buy another LG phone that has a locked bootloader.
    FYI. I just wrote a very detailed review of the LG Cam Plus with pics :)

https://gavinsgadgets.com/2016/05/0...lus-detailed-review-with-full-specifications/