The LG V20 will be the first phone with a 32 bit Quad DAC

Search This thread

Amd4life

Dec 30, 2010
yep looks like the V20 is my next phone. Decision has been made easy.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-v20-will-be-first-phone-quad-dac

The LG V20 not only will be the first phone to run Android 7.0, but news from Seoul tells us it will also be the first smartphone to feature a Quad DAC.
While the actual model isn't yet revealed, we do know LG is once again partnering with ESS to bring premium audio to the V20. ESS also provided the excellent 32bit DAC in the V10, which received pretty rave reviews for its audio performance.
Higher quality audio is simply the natural evolution of the smartphone, as the industry moves toward a more holistic multimedia consumption experience. — Juno Cho, president of LG Electronics and Mobile Communications Company.
LG says that they know users are now looking for more than a fast processor and a big display when they buy a high-end phone, and they aim to provide it with the V20. We'll know more — and hopefully get to put our hands on a V20 — on September 6 when LG unveils the whole package in San Francisco. In the meantime, we can read the press releases. This one is below.
LG V20, WORLD'S FIRST SMARTPHONE WITH QUAD DAC FOR BEST IN CLASS AUDIO
LG and ESS Technology Collaborate to Deliver One-of-a-Kind Audio Experience
SEOUL, Aug. 11, 2016 ― LG Electronics (LG) announced that its forthcoming flagship smartphone, LG V20, will be the first smartphone in the industry to feature 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC (digital to analog converter) capabilities, bringing a superior audio experience to mobile for the very first time.
A Quad DAC delivers a crisp and clear sound that comes closest to a live performance when using compatible wired headphones. The sound is superior to that produced by a traditional DAC as it can reduce up to 50 percent of ambient noise levels. Videos taken with the V20 are accompanied by a soundtrack that can capture the roaring sound of waves crashing on a beach or conversations among two individuals at a noisy party.
LG worked closely with ESS Technology, a leader in high-performance analog and audio devices, to ensure that the Quad DAC, delivered the best audio experience for owners of the LG V20. The Quad DAC is the lynchpin of the many cutting-edge multimedia features included in the LG V20. ESS Technology previously provided its 32-bit Hi-Fi DAC in the V10, LG V20's predecessor.
"As smartphones mature, we're seeing more and more customers looking beyond just fast processors and big displays in their devices," said Juno Cho, president of LG Electronics and Mobile Communications Company. "Higher quality audio is simply the natural evolution of the smartphone, as the industry moves toward a more holistic multimedia consumption experience. We're pleased to continue this long-term partnership with ESS and bring best in class audio to LG V20 users."
"We are extremely excited that our Quad DAC technology will be featured in the V20, LG's latest flagship smartphone for consumers who demand the best media experience," said Robert Blair, president and chief executive officer of ESS Technology. "As a technology more typically available in high-end audio equipment, Quad DAC on the V20 will make users feel as if they are carrying around a professional home-audio system on their smartphone."

blackwell387

The LG V20 not only will be the first phone to run Android 7.0, but news from Seoul tells us it will also be the first smartphone to feature a Quad DAC.
While the actual model isn't yet revealed, we do know LG is once again partnering with ESS to bring premium audio to the V20. ESS also provided the excellent 32bit DAC in the V10, which received pretty rave reviews for its audio performance.
Higher quality audio is simply the natural evolution of the smartphone, as the industry moves toward a more holistic multimedia consumption experience. â?? Juno Cho, president of LG Electronics and Mobile Communications Company.
LG says that they know users are now looking for more than a fast processor and a big display when they buy a high-end phone, and they aim to provide it with the V20. We'll know more â?? and hopefully get to put our hands on a V20 â?? on September 6 when LG unveils the whole package in San Francisco. In the meantime, we can read the press releases. This one is below.
SEOUL, Aug. 11, 2016 ― LG Electronics (LG) announced that its forthcoming flagship smartphone, LG V20, will be the first smartphone in the industry to feature 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC (digital to analog converter) capabilities, bringing a superior audio experience to mobile for the very first time.
A Quad DAC delivers a crisp and clear sound that comes closest to a live performance when using compatible wired headphones. The sound is superior to that produced by a traditional DAC as it can reduce up to 50 percent of ambient noise levels. Videos taken with the V20 are accompanied by a soundtrack that can capture the roaring sound of waves crashing on a beach or conversations among two individuals at a noisy party.
LG worked closely with ESS Technology, a leader in high-performance analog and audio devices, to ensure that the Quad DAC, delivered the best audio experience for owners of the LG V20. The Quad DAC is the lynchpin of the many cutting-edge multimedia features included in the LG V20. ESS Technology previously provided its 32-bit Hi-Fi DAC in the V10, LG V20's predecessor.
"As smartphones mature, we're seeing more and more customers looking beyond just fast processors and big displays in their devices," said Juno Cho, president of LG Electronics and Mobile Communications Company. "Higher quality audio is simply the natural evolution of the smartphone, as the industry moves toward a more holistic multimedia consumption experience. We're pleased to continue this long-term partnership with ESS and bring best in class audio to LG V20 users."
"We are extremely excited that our Quad DAC technology will be featured in the V20, LG's latest flagship smartphone for consumers who demand the best media experience," said Robert Blair, president and chief executive officer of ESS Technology. "As a technology more typically available in high-end audio equipment, Quad DAC on the V20 will make users feel as if they are carrying around a professional home-audio system on their smartphone."
Will it come with a locked bootloader??

mikey_sk

what concerns me slightly is that i have the HiFi DAC module on the G5 and it actually uses a better Sabre DAC chip (their flagship ES9028) over the 9018 in the V20. True there's 4 of the lower end chips in the V20.

correct me if im wrong

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
what concerns me slightly is that i have the HiFi DAC module on the G5 and it actually uses a better Sabre DAC chip (their flagship ES9028) over the 9018 in the V20. True there's 4 of the lower end chips in the V20.

correct me if im wrong

I doubt there's any noticeable difference. Either setup is going to be plenty better than the 820 audio setup.

igotroot

Dec 4, 2010
The DAC in the V20 is tempting me tremendously.....BUT, as I approach the purchase of a new headunit in my Z, I plan to use bluetooth streaming of music from my phone to the headunit.....so, if im not mistaken, the DAC is useless for bluetooth users..... someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
The DAC in the V20 is tempting me tremendously.....BUT, as I approach the purchase of a new headunit in my Z, I plan to use bluetooth streaming of music from my phone to the headunit.....so, if im not mistaken, the DAC is useless for bluetooth users..... someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

That is true. But I highly recommend you make sure that headunit and your phone supports apt-X codec for the best BT sound possible.

Reactions: igotroot

FAUguy

Mar 1, 2011
South FL
The audio DAC is also tempting for me. I have a Note 4 Development Edition, and a Nissan Altima. The car has XM (which I used for years until the price got too high), a 6 CD changer, and a 3.5mm AUX input. When I use the Note 4 connected to headphones or to the car, I can hear a constant hiss in the background, and if the phone is charging at the same time, I hear electrical interference from that.

Hopefully the V20 doesn't have these issues (not sure if Samsung fixed it on the Note 7).

The audio DAC is also tempting for me. I have a Note 4 Development Edition, and a Nissan Altima. The car has XM (which I used for years until the price got too high), a 6 CD changer, and a 3.5mm AUX input. When I use the Note 4 connected to headphones or to the car, I can hear a constant hiss in the background, and if the phone is charging at the same time, I hear electrical interference from that.

Hopefully the V20 doesn't have these issues (not sure if Samsung fixed it on the Note 7).

Problem is that your putting a headphone impedance output into a line level input
Im guessing you need to turn the volume way up too ? Correct

DannyY

May 23, 2006
Bristol
Problem is that your putting a headphone impedance output into a line level input

If this is the case, it may be worth trying a USB OTG cable connected to a USB DAC.
I ran this on my Note 3 and connected it to a headphone amp. I think I only paid about £20 for the DAC and under a fiver for the OTG.

Reactions: noone606

FAUguy

Mar 1, 2011
South FL
If this is the case, it may be worth trying a USB OTG cable connected to a USB DAC.
I ran this on my Note 3 and connected it to a headphone amp. I think I only paid about £20 for the DAC and under a fiver for the OTG.

I'm not sure what the impedance difference is between the 3.5 mm headphone out on the Note 4, and the 3.5mm AUX Audio input on my 2009 Altima Bose stereo.

But as far as using a USB On The Go cable, I can see connecting it to the phone, but then to a headphone DAC Amp and then to the 3.5mm radio input?
If this is the case, how do you get the music to stream from the phone, via USB, to the DAC?

DannyY

May 23, 2006
Bristol

I'm not sure what the impedance difference is between the 3.5 mm headphone out on the Note 4, and the 3.5mm AUX Audio input on my 2009 Altima Bose stereo.

But as far as using a USB On The Go cable, I can see connecting it to the phone, but then to a headphone DAC Amp and then to the 3.5mm radio input?
If this is the case, how do you get the music to stream from the phone, via USB, to the DAC?

The phone recognises that there is a USB DAC and sends the audio there. I don't do anything in particular to switch between USB or the 3.5mm jack.
Viper and Poweramp both have USB settings.
The DAC I have is the Stoner Acoustics UD100. I bought it in 2013. I have an old Fiio E5 headphone amp to go with it too.

FAUguy

Mar 1, 2011
South FL
The phone recognises that there is a USB DAC and sends the audio there. I don't do anything in particular to switch between USB or the 3.5mm jack.
Viper and Poweramp both have USB settings.
The DAC I have is the Stoner Acoustics UD100. I bought it in 2013. I have an old Fiio E5 headphone amp to go with it too.
I think that I would try the V20 by itself first with audio out to the car, before buying external components.
And as far as using it with my Note 4, there would be no way to keep the phobe charge plugged in, if the USB is being used with a DAC.

DannyY

May 23, 2006
Bristol
I think that I would try the V20 by itself first with audio out to the car, before buying external components.
And as far as using it with my Note 4, there would be no way to keep the phobe charge plugged in, if the USB is being used with a DAC.

Yes, of course. If the on-board DAC is adequate and there are no more problems with the hissing, which is why I suggested the external DAC initially.

As for charging, I have seen these but not tried them personally:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00V9XS4V4/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_147_1/251-1648480-3081019

FAUguy

Mar 1, 2011
South FL
Yes, of course. If the on-board DAC is adequate and there are no more problems with the hissing, which is why I suggested the external DAC initially.

As for charging, I have seen these but not tried them personally:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00V9XS4V4/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_147_1/251-1648480-3081019
Well I tried the Note 4 with my car's AUX input again.
As it turns out, if you plug in the audio cable from the phone to the car first, play a song, then plug in the charger, you don't hear any hiss. But if you stop and exit the music player, while the phone is charging, you can hear an electric sound, and even static when touching the screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Higher quality audio is simply the natural evolution of the smartphone, as the industry moves toward a more holistic multimedia consumption experience. — Juno Cho, president of LG Electronics and Mobile Communications Company.
    LG says that they know users are now looking for more than a fast processor and a big display when they buy a high-end phone, and they aim to provide it with the V20. We'll know more — and hopefully get to put our hands on a V20 — on September 6 when LG unveils the whole package in San Francisco. In the meantime, we can read the press releases. This one is below.

That is true. But I highly recommend you make sure that headunit and your phone supports apt-X codec for the best BT sound possible.