the n00b's guide to kitkat on the fascinate

Search This thread

skepticmisfit

Jul 25, 2013
So, due to recent events (probably really young kids spamming the threads of various dead or no-longer-maintained ROMs) I have decided to make this guide. for everyone.

THIS IS THE ROM YOU SHOULD BE USING: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358542421
Unofficial CyanogenMod 11, compiled by @Unjustified Dev. dated june 4th, 2014.

Now, flashing this ROM is actually kinda difficult. We don't have an active official CM maintainer anymore and TWRP bricks people's phones. So here is the best method of flashing it. (disclaimer: if you're on the stock Samsung ROM, flash cm10.1 and refer to this guide if necessary. this is a clickable link.)

Now, after flashing cm10.1, follow these steps to flash cm11:
1. make a nandroid backup
2. wipe data/factory reset
3. flash cm11. you will probably get an error (probably along the lines of set_metadata_recursive). this is okay. reboot recovery. (advanced options in the main menu)
4. you might see some different bootlogos. this is a good sign. hopefully you'll see a clockworkmod version 6+. this is also a good sign.
5. repeat steps 2 and 3 and then flash whatever google apps package you want. the official one actually isn't bad. http://goo.im/gapps

After all of that, you should be good. If you do get bricked, fear not, you can always use Odin to flash the stock firmware again and use this guide if necessary: click here for the guide of wonderfulness

I dont actually own this phone anymore, so asking for help will probably get you nowhere. I'm sure Android L or whatever might be easier for us to work with unless the recovery devs have higher requirements for their stuff.

Last edited:

dee3

Oct 15, 2010
Branson West
I was asking for a working link the other day for an old ROM.. Oh well, I am not a young kid though..This is what it will say when your successful. I rom'd a few times tonight on my kids phone and had no problems flashing through 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 ..
eny8epaq.jpg

skepticmisfit

Jul 25, 2013
I was asking for a working link the other day for an old ROM.. Oh well, I am not a young kid though..

nah man you're cool i was referring to a certain username inspired by a certain automobile distributor. of expensive, fast cars.
also that cm11 theme you have there is absolutely ridiculous. you know what it's called?

dee3

Oct 15, 2010
Branson West
Fuster cluck its on my 6yo sons phone. He really likes all the flashy colors

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

And thanks for the guide and the heads up last week on the cm11 stability. Its been a good ROM so far except I noticed I couldn't install the last update of minecraft PE 0.9.5 on my kids phone as he has had it since 4.2.2 running without issue. I tried to install the the zip on my phone too, got the files from apkgalaxy where I've been getting most paid apps for a while now. Only this ROM will not let minecraft install.. Weird.. when I didn't have this issue on DU 4.4.2, hellybean 4.2.2 , or avatar 4.2.2. And I also notice each time I download a zip from apkgalaxy as soon as I hit the download button, internet explorer and chrome both have issues closing out.. But I haven't noticed anything that would make me not want the ROM as its nice.

icemanwbs

Aug 25, 2011
Pennsylvania
Is "flashify" the way to go now ? Or our tried and true method ? Just wondering .

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA Free mobile app

dee3

Oct 15, 2010
Branson West
I used flashify to flash a kernel that wouldn't flash in recovery. Than I also got another phone that was on cwm 4.0.6.1 a 4.2.2 build I believe to flash through ROM manager when I kept getting can't mount errors when entering cwm recovery. I used the rom manager to push TWRP than got it onto the 4.4.2 unjust 6/04 build its on now after a few cm11 flashes. So there are a few ways to go about it at least for me I've used a couple different ways when I didn't have my laptop handy and would screw up or get errors. Google always fixes my problems as dumb as I am too this all after 4+years of rooting. Still learning..

Last edited:
Reactions: icemanwbs

icemanwbs

Aug 25, 2011
Pennsylvania
Well, after many attempts I've only been able to get cm9 up and running. Tried first to Odin back to stock and then 10.1 ( using both droidstyles and the noob guide to kit Kat ) , also tried TWRP , without success. No idea what went wrong. :(:confused::(

skepticmisfit

Jul 25, 2013
Well, after many attempts I've only been able to get cm9 up and running. Tried first to Odin back to stock and then 10.1 ( using both droidstyles and the noob guide to kit Kat ) , also tried TWRP , without success. No idea what went wrong. :(:confused::(

ok so when you flash cm11 using the cm10.1 clockworkmod image, it will give you an error. after that you have to reboot recovery and flash cm11 again

you have to flash it twice, especially when using clockworkmod. twrp i heard you can just flash once but you have to have a really recent version of twrp (2.6.3.0) and not only is that hard to come by for this phone but it can brick your phone.. i know that the cm11 kernel hhp made bricked my phone before, and i flashed that before cm11.. idk i probably wasnt supposed to

Last edited:

dee3

Oct 15, 2010
Branson West
How doesn't ROM manager premium work on this phone? You know I'm dumb to all this so I take your advice serious on these things. I am asking because I used it to push TWRP when I kept getting constant can't mount errors when trying to flash the cm11 build on my sons phone when he was on a cwm 4.0.6.1 4.2.2 build I believe, and I couldn't flash a twrp rom without the can't mount . it got me through to the 6/04 unjust 4.4.2 after some unknown flashing around . I know I didn't follow a guide since I had errors and googled my can't mount errors

Last night/this morning I reflashed his phone down to the slimroms 4.2.2 7/08 build though due to mine craft not installing on cm11 4.4.2. I had no problems going from the 4.4.2 back to a 4.2.2 . I usually don't have problems that cause me to have to re Odin eh03 but when I started rooting I usually would Odin. Now its been all from recovery or the flashify and ROM manager I've used when rooting. No PC needed

Last edited:

skepticmisfit

Jul 25, 2013
How doesn't ROM manager premium work on this phone? You know I'm dumb to all this so I take your advice serious on these things. I am asking because I used it to push TWRP when I kept getting constant can't mount errors when trying to flash the cm11 build on my sons phone when he was on a cwm 4.0.6.1 4.2.2 build I believe, and I couldn't flash a twrp rom without the can't mount . it got me through to the 6/04 unjust 4.4.2 after some unknown flashing around . I know I didn't follow a guide since I had errors and googled my can't mount errors

Last night/this morning I reflashed his phone down to the slimroms 4.2.2 7/08 build though due to mine craft not installing on cm11 4.4.2. I had no problems going from the 4.4.2 back to a 4.2.2 . I usually don't have problems that cause me to have to re Odin eh03 but when I started rooting I usually would Odin. Now its been all from recovery or the flashify and ROM manager I've used when rooting. No PC needed

well i think why the "rom manager doesnt really work" statement goes around is that people would try to flash cwm through rom manager and it would actually brick their phones. that didnt happen to me but i did try it and the recovery couldnt mount anything aka it was a bad recovery. but if it worked for you, hey, that's actually pretty cool. might not work for everyone though

icemanwbs

Aug 25, 2011
Pennsylvania
OK maybe I've been out of the flashing loop to long lol. I am a recovering flash addict , I tried many if not all of the cool newest roms using droidstyles guide. Guessing now I just need the most recent files for cm10 and cm11.

supdog

Aug 27, 2012
Thanks, skeptic. 5 days and no regrets with CM11. I've had some phantom keys, but stable so far. Looks like Unjust could get a substantial donation ;)

Reactions: skepticmisfit

icemanwbs

Aug 25, 2011
Pennsylvania
Still no luck. Can't get the cm10.1 to install today. Keeps aborting. Frustrating to say the least. :(:confused::confused:

dee3

Oct 15, 2010
Branson West
Damn. That is frustrating for sure. Its been a week and no luck, I can't help any more then I've read here and a few other fascinate forums. That's weird mine flashed to the CM11 without those errors on two devices mine and my sons. I took his from the 4.4.2 cm11 back down to a 4.2.2 ROM so he could play minecraft without using a computer/odin or usb for anything. I'm sure someone will help get it though.

Reactions: icemanwbs

joecap5

Oct 17, 2013
Where do I get a stock ROM? I've tried many links but haven't been able to find one that works.

Lgrootnoob

Oct 1, 2012
Dallas
Still no luck. Can't get the cm10.1 to install today. Keeps aborting. Frustrating to say the least. :(:confused::confused:

Have you ever thought that maybe we need the error to help you?
Im going to take a guess that its trying to read the build.prop and you wiped.
If so, then you need to remove the build.prop asserts from the updater-script
It shoudl be the first few lines.

skepticmisfit

Jul 25, 2013
Have you ever thought that maybe we need the error to help you?
Im going to take a guess that its trying to read the build.prop and you wiped.
If so, then you need to remove the build.prop asserts from the updater-script
It shoudl be the first few lines.

he ended up fixing it :good: :)
i think he odin'd stock, then went to cm10.1, then to kitkat possibly using my method

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, due to recent events (probably really young kids spamming the threads of various dead or no-longer-maintained ROMs) I have decided to make this guide. for everyone.

THIS IS THE ROM YOU SHOULD BE USING: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358542421
    Unofficial CyanogenMod 11, compiled by @Unjustified Dev. dated june 4th, 2014.

Now, flashing this ROM is actually kinda difficult. We don't have an active official CM maintainer anymore and TWRP bricks people's phones. So here is the best method of flashing it. (disclaimer: if you're on the stock Samsung ROM, flash cm10.1 and refer to this guide if necessary. this is a clickable link.)

Now, after flashing cm10.1, follow these steps to flash cm11:
    1. make a nandroid backup
    2. wipe data/factory reset
    3. flash cm11. you will probably get an error (probably along the lines of set_metadata_recursive). this is okay. reboot recovery. (advanced options in the main menu)
    4. you might see some different bootlogos. this is a good sign. hopefully you'll see a clockworkmod version 6+. this is also a good sign.
    5. repeat steps 2 and 3 and then flash whatever google apps package you want. the official one actually isn't bad. http://goo.im/gapps

After all of that, you should be good. If you do get bricked, fear not, you can always use Odin to flash the stock firmware again and use this guide if necessary: click here for the guide of wonderfulness

I dont actually own this phone anymore, so asking for help will probably get you nowhere. I'm sure Android L or whatever might be easier for us to work with unless the recovery devs have higher requirements for their stuff.
    I used flashify to flash a kernel that wouldn't flash in recovery. Than I also got another phone that was on cwm 4.0.6.1 a 4.2.2 build I believe to flash through ROM manager when I kept getting can't mount errors when entering cwm recovery. I used the rom manager to push TWRP than got it onto the 4.4.2 unjust 6/04 build its on now after a few cm11 flashes. So there are a few ways to go about it at least for me I've used a couple different ways when I didn't have my laptop handy and would screw up or get errors. Google always fixes my problems as dumb as I am too this all after 4+years of rooting. Still learning..
    Is "flashify" the way to go now ? Or our tried and true method ? Just wondering .

haven't tried flashify, plus i dont have this phone anymore, i upgraded to the s4. locked bootloader ;__;
    Thanks, skeptic. 5 days and no regrets with CM11. I've had some phantom keys, but stable so far. Looks like Unjust could get a substantial donation ;)
    Damn. That is frustrating for sure. Its been a week and no luck, I can't help any more then I've read here and a few other fascinate forums. That's weird mine flashed to the CM11 without those errors on two devices mine and my sons. I took his from the 4.4.2 cm11 back down to a 4.2.2 ROM so he could play minecraft without using a computer/odin or usb for anything. I'm sure someone will help get it though.