The new replacement phone for LG V20 is FINALLY here?

Search This thread

Jesus is God Almighty

Aug 19, 2016
After many years, and a lot of looking around - I think we finally have a new replacement for the LG V20. I just got it not long ago, so I still need to use it as my daily phone.

I have already rooted the phone with Magisk which there is already is an unofficial guide to and still setting it up, so is the small German company of Shift as they are still working on the software - they have 2 stocks in production, Android 10 Google version and Android 10 without Google.

The phone has the 3 essential as I call them, removeable battery, Micro SD and Jack phone! Although it is somewhat costly compared to a used LG V20 phone - but if anyone wants an upgrade on the CPU and Graphic, Internal storage, RAM and so forth, this is the way to go.

Ordering the phone should come quickly now, as the wait time should be over as they have been sending them out for the last couple of months - so there should not be any big wait time for it now.

SHIFTPHONES - Nachhaltige Technologie aus Deutschland

Shift Shop | SHIFT6mq (preorder) (shiftphones.com)

I was looking on the Fairphone 3 and Shift 6mq - I actually ended up just going for another used LG V20, but because of the nonsense of Corona I could not get a new LG V20 from Hongkong and the phone was never sold in Europe. In any case I had to bite the bigger price and the Fairphone 3 was disqualified because of only 64GB internal, I knew I had to have an upgrade on that as I am easily filling it with stuff. The only option although pricy was the Shift6mq - But I needed a new phone as the old LG V20 was dying more and more each and every day. So I ordered it a good amount of month ago, and now it is finally arrived.

I have just installed the Light version of there System without Google and rooted it - I have yet to use it in daily life but it looks good. I have benchmarked it against the LG V20 and not surprisingly it beats it with ease. There are of cause some negative things as well, battery can be somewhat tough to get out of the phone, I used some sandpaper on the bottom of the batteries that seemed to do the work to easier taking them out. They surely stick in the mobile when they are in there, which is not a bad thing, but a little less strong would have been nice. Again, it seems to work with some fine sandpaper, to ease this issue. Maybe it will work itself out with use over time, but... Well... Sandpaper seemed to work ;)

I also have a Camera issue it seems, whereas the front camera is pointing somewhat upward, but it seems to be just my unit and not the norm, there could be 2 solutions to this and have to work that out at some point. But the Camera is working so it is not a big biggie, just annoying.

The internal speaker does seems somewhat weaker then the LG V20, but the phone jack, does well with my speakers, so no problem there.

That is the first impressions I have with it... I think this will be my next phone for the next 5 years, just some stuff to sort out and move all my applications over to it. I though you LG V20 users would like to know that there is now an alternative, with greater CPU and Graphics and Internal memory available, would love to see more people coming over to grow it up in the right direction and helping each other!

And supporting a small company, although not perfect in any way, at least it still stands on some sanity, with a degoogled system and the 3 essential important things for a mobile.

You don't need the plastic cover either, you can use the protection cover only without any issues - if you do not need the payment thing that is in it, personally I never used it myself.

If anyone have any questions in regards of it, just shoot! But I am still new to the phone - so I have yet used it as my daily driver, but I'm getting there! Just had to sort out the rooting and see what could do, break it down and such. It was many hoops to do, but now that I know, I can help others if you have any issues on those part :)

Sadly a lot of German, they have a forum and they speak mostly German - but, we can get an English Community as well around it I am sure, and help each other. Beside there are tools for translating :)

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

P.S you get a Screwdriver with your phone, as they have focus on taking it apart and fixing it yourself and such. So the Phone is designed with that in mind. No Charger as most have chargers already to use, but a Screwdriver ;)

Although it seems to charge as "fast" or slow as the LG V20, around 2:30 hour as far as my testing goes for now. Sadly no external chargers for batteries like the V20 had, at least not for now. I had 2 of these chargers for my LG V20 and have used them a lot. Shift may have something up there sleeve for it, but time will tell.

Last edited:

Snakecharmed

Sep 30, 2011
LG V20
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
These are the phone's supported bands:
  • LTE Frequenzbänder: FDD-LTE B1 / B3 / B7 / B20 / B28, TDD-LTE B38 / B39 / B40 / B41
  • 3G Frequenzbänder: UMTS / HSPA+ / DC-HSDPA: B1 / B2 / B3 / B5 / B8, CDMA (800, 1900, 2100Mhz), TD-SCDMA (1900, 2000Mhz)
T-Mobile LTE (2, 4, 5, 12, 66, 71) is out. AT&T LTE (2, 4, 5, 12, 14, 17, 29, 30, 66) is out. Verizon LTE (2, 4, 5, 13, 46, 48, 66) is out.

The only LTE band supported by any US carrier is Sprint on 41 and one band is not anything to safely rely on long-term following the T-Mobile merger.

Jesus is God Almighty

Aug 19, 2016
It is already looking good, have installed the Light version and gotten it rooted - still need to move my applications over to it. But it is progressing :)
I did play a racing game, although I really should not - but it runs perfectly fluent compared to the LG V20 which is not a surprise. Even in the highest setting it seem to run more smooth then the lowest on the LG V20, but really somewhat unfair because of the 4-5 year differences between them. The screen itself also looks better, clear and crisp, although I have seen some issues other places when the screen is all white. But Shift are are still working on the 2 stock systems so... But the game itself was crisp and clear and overall the game was running fluently on the highest setting.

I don't think I will look much back to the LG V20 when I get this up and running as my daily driver. Although, I would like to try out Lineage on my LG V20 if possible, version 10, I am thinking it might get me closer together to have the same usability compared to each other... But maybe not...

Dunno, in any case it is looking good and promising! :) Finally an upgrade from the LG V20, a phone with the 3 essentials. How hard it can be for companies to do sane things these days.

exFAT is at the moment not supported by Shift 6mq but support for it should be coming! Something about some worldly stuff needed to run through... Can't remember the details. But it is on the way as I understand it. At the moment it only runs FAT32, which is kinda annoying as that only supports 4 GB files.

Anyway... As said they are still working hard on the software so... 2 systems, google and ungoogle versions.

Snakecharmed

Sep 30, 2011
LG V20
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
Fully serviceable phones seem to be more popular in Europe than in the US. The Shift6mq seems to be the most advanced option I've seen so far in terms of hardware. The Snapdragon 845 is a couple of generations old, but the total package apart from audio hardware is a clear improvement over the V20. However, if I had to pick the #1 reason why I still use the V20 daily, it's the second screen.

There's no real equivalent to the Shift6mq in the US. The best option I've seen here is the Teracube 2e and between the 720p screen resolution and the MediaTek A25 chipset, it kinda sucks.

Jesus is God Almighty

Aug 19, 2016
Okay, I just dropped my phone from 10-15 cm while sitting on the toilet flipping it around, although having the silicon *Or something of that kind* protection I did not think much about it really... But... My screen broke. I have never ever experienced an issue with my LG V20, actually after 4 years the screen still seems like new, and it has been dropped a good amount of times.
Yet one single minor small drop - and I now have a broken new mobile which screen is broke. I though it was the Gorilla glass at first with 2 lines of breaking but... Investigating further it seems the Gorilla is just fine - "just" the screen behind it, that is broke. And investigating further the line starts from the bottom left corner and goes up at the side, and in the middle of the screen it goes out in 2 lines. There is a minor thing as well over it in the left side.
Beside the none colors and weird colors it makes, I am pretty sure the screen is broke. I saw this guy breaking mobiles, and this seem to be the same screen issue that he gets when Jerry I think his name is, brakes the mobiles.
*Sigh* And I did not even get to use the mobile as a daily driver before it failed on me :/ I was trying to find an app that could get my applications unto it, after now being rooted and on the ungoogled version of Shift. I first tried an open source app which could not restore the backed up applications on A10, I was then at the point of it happening trying with Titanium Backup, but it needed you to push with every single Application, which actually was what did me in and made me drop it. Usual I would have laid it down once until finish, but here you had to wait for installing the app and then push again.

I think this is one of these Free features that most likely is not in the Pro version - but knowing not if the app works, I wanted to test it before maybe buying it.

Anyway... My new fresh phone from Germany is Broke... *Sigh* Terrible just Terrible. Well, at least moving forward, but if this is standard that the screen dies by so little... Well, hopefully it was just a faulty item, although I am afraid that it might not be. What is the point of Gorilla protection if the screen just blows up by itself without even touching the surface of the Gorilla glass. Seems to me that it must have been the vibrations overall that killed the screen, as it just hit the Silicon cover protecting it as it should.

Whatever the case, my new phone is RIP for now! Well, I guess it is good I got the new used LG V20 that is rooted and running! At least I can focus on that for now, it still needs some fixing, yet it is my daily driver and would be until getting the other up and running with all the apps and setup which I was closing into. But now really hit into a biggie with the new phone. Oh well...

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

Jesus is God Almighty

Aug 19, 2016
Well, there was a screwdriver with the mobile and... I've just looked into repairing the screen. It does look like it won't be that hard, I hope... The whole idea with the Shift phone was that one could repair it by them self, although hopefully the screens normally don't break so quick. It could easily become expensive if one needs to buy a screen every time one drops it. :p Hopefully I had a faulty screen, or they might need to investigate into better screens. Like that was just way to easy to break.

Jesus is God Almighty

Aug 19, 2016
Okay Carsten from Shift wanna have a look on the mobile - I will send it back and hopefully he can get something out of it. Nice to see they care about their products :)
Hopefully this is not a normal thing, and if it is - then I hope they get it corrected. Like 4 years without a cracking screen on my LG V20, and then just a small and first drop of the new - it ruined :p Only one other time have I ruined a phone, when I was in Israel and I dropped my Samsung Note 2 directly hitting a stone with the screen faced down. But it was still working at least. Actually that was the outer protection screen which broke, and not the screen itself.

Who knows, might have had a weak screen of production - in any case, they wanna have a look at it.

zeroderp

Feb 2, 2021

better everything compaired to the v20
1 question standing

can it be rooted?

other then that this might be added to your list of alt's?

Snakecharmed

Sep 30, 2011
LG V20
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
A bump for anyone in a similar boat casually looking for a V20 successor and having to consider tradeoffs:

Although I'm still currently not looking to replace the V20 as my daily phone, if I had to buy a phone that has at least been announced in 2021, it would be the Sony Xperia 1 III. The main tradeoff is a non-removable battery.

Everything else is top tier in specs and it retains the removable storage and 3.5 mm jack, has USB-C 3.x, and doesn't compromise on CPU, 5G connectivity, or screen, camera, or audio quality like many of these alternatives. I generally don't care about price because I usually don't buy new phones anyway and I would hypothetically wait out the Xperia 1 III for at least half a year after release if I were to get one. The only brand new phone I've ever bought was the LG G4.

I've been getting tired of watching Asus screw people over on either the removable storage or 3.5 mm jack with both their Zenfone and ROG flagships, so I'm glad Sony finally included both in a contemporary flagship when everyone else has been allergic to these features.

Obviously, everyone has different priorities for what features are must-haves when moving on from the V20, but a non-removable battery isn't a dealbreaker to me as long as replacing it doesn't cause permanent cosmetic damage to the exterior. Rootability isn't very important to me anymore either after seeing how my Galaxy Tab S4 hasn't made me miss root much thanks to Blokada and YouTube Vanced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whosondephone

zeroderp

Feb 2, 2021
i have no idea if this is a good option as i am not intelligent enough to read German

if anyone here is looking for a v20 replacement can you translate this to 'MURICAN so a simple guy can understand?

i am wanting to know if it is rooted, can it be rooted, the battery replacement (4240mah) options such as who makes the original and can i get more for replacements or upgrades, and...the rest i can gather from the wiki page

Reactions: baldybill

Snakecharmed

Sep 30, 2011
LG V20
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
i have no idea if this is a good option as i am not intelligent enough to read German

if anyone here is looking for a v20 replacement can you translate this to 'MURICAN so a simple guy can understand?

i am wanting to know if it is rooted, can it be rooted, the battery replacement (4240mah) options such as who makes the original and can i get more for replacements or upgrades, and...the rest i can gather from the wiki page

Do you expect to use this device as a phone in the US? Because the exact same thing I mentioned about the 6mq's compatibility with US carriers applies to the 6m.

Reactions: baldybill

UIQrules

Sep 28, 2012
haha, that's hilarious. Was just looking at that phone for a replacement, too.

The screen issue is that the v20 had a p-oled, LGs plastic substrate led (the amoleds have a glass layer over the led plates). I wonder who is actually going to take up that in the business now. Presumably LG will be making more of these gorgeous screens (..last one was in the Velvet, I guess?). But the amoleds are a bit more expensive to make, while they are typically even more expensive to purchase (meaning: better margins). So that's going to push them out of the market, just like the lithium polymer batteries were for .. gods.. 15-20 years. There's still phones with organic batteries - that you can't change - that are sold right now, in extremely expensive phones.

So it's a bit difficult to find an actually good phone that will last a bit right now.. Kind of wondering if that will ever actually change, unless someone who knows about tech, and also has enough money to just say **** it, starts making actually good phones - and sell them at the price-range they actually cost to make. Xiaomi, or some other more domestic Chinese brand might be the best bet, to be perfectly honest..

Jesus is God Almighty

Aug 19, 2016
Don't buy the Shift phone 6mq.
The screen broke again and got lots of issues overall with it. Back on an old "new" LG V20 phone non rooted.
I had so much hope for this but it sucks.
- Darkijah

Reactions: ssnova

ssnova

Mar 25, 2013
LG V50 ThinQ
Don't buy the Shift phone 6mq.
The screen broke again and got lots of issues overall with it. Back on an old "new" LG V20 phone non rooted.
I had so much hope for this but it sucks.
- Darkijah
Thanks for an update on the Shift phone. THe LG V20 is truly a special phone, it has everything I could ask for, though not 100% executed with perfection (for example, LG was very innovative to include the "notched" 2nd screen, however I'd rather it be uniform... be it LCD, or nowadays everything is OLED).

3 things that the LG v20 has that we probably won't see emphasized again are: (1)IR blaster(great to use as a smart remote!), (2)user replaceable battery(just swap and go, so convenient... and when the battery is no longer holding charge, it's just so easy to put in a fresh battery... no pulling the phone apart or dealing with resealing, etc.), (3) amplified quad dac 3.5mm jack(not just any 3.5 jack, but a high performing one!).... of course there is the expandable memory too...

Such a beast of a phone that we may not see come back again... unless some wealthy and passionate crowd funders came together to re-release such a phone(in addition to modern and updated SOC's, I'd like to see upgraded cameras... but the fundamentals need to remain: 3.5mm quad dac, user replaceable battery, IR blaster, expandable storage).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After many years, and a lot of looking around - I think we finally have a new replacement for the LG V20. I just got it not long ago, so I still need to use it as my daily phone.

I have already rooted the phone with Magisk which there is already is an unofficial guide to and still setting it up, so is the small German company of Shift as they are still working on the software - they have 2 stocks in production, Android 10 Google version and Android 10 without Google.

The phone has the 3 essential as I call them, removeable battery, Micro SD and Jack phone! Although it is somewhat costly compared to a used LG V20 phone - but if anyone wants an upgrade on the CPU and Graphic, Internal storage, RAM and so forth, this is the way to go.

Ordering the phone should come quickly now, as the wait time should be over as they have been sending them out for the last couple of months - so there should not be any big wait time for it now.

SHIFTPHONES - Nachhaltige Technologie aus Deutschland

Shift Shop | SHIFT6mq (preorder) (shiftphones.com)

I was looking on the Fairphone 3 and Shift 6mq - I actually ended up just going for another used LG V20, but because of the nonsense of Corona I could not get a new LG V20 from Hongkong and the phone was never sold in Europe. In any case I had to bite the bigger price and the Fairphone 3 was disqualified because of only 64GB internal, I knew I had to have an upgrade on that as I am easily filling it with stuff. The only option although pricy was the Shift6mq - But I needed a new phone as the old LG V20 was dying more and more each and every day. So I ordered it a good amount of month ago, and now it is finally arrived.

I have just installed the Light version of there System without Google and rooted it - I have yet to use it in daily life but it looks good. I have benchmarked it against the LG V20 and not surprisingly it beats it with ease. There are of cause some negative things as well, battery can be somewhat tough to get out of the phone, I used some sandpaper on the bottom of the batteries that seemed to do the work to easier taking them out. They surely stick in the mobile when they are in there, which is not a bad thing, but a little less strong would have been nice. Again, it seems to work with some fine sandpaper, to ease this issue. Maybe it will work itself out with use over time, but... Well... Sandpaper seemed to work ;)

I also have a Camera issue it seems, whereas the front camera is pointing somewhat upward, but it seems to be just my unit and not the norm, there could be 2 solutions to this and have to work that out at some point. But the Camera is working so it is not a big biggie, just annoying.

The internal speaker does seems somewhat weaker then the LG V20, but the phone jack, does well with my speakers, so no problem there.

That is the first impressions I have with it... I think this will be my next phone for the next 5 years, just some stuff to sort out and move all my applications over to it. I though you LG V20 users would like to know that there is now an alternative, with greater CPU and Graphics and Internal memory available, would love to see more people coming over to grow it up in the right direction and helping each other!

And supporting a small company, although not perfect in any way, at least it still stands on some sanity, with a degoogled system and the 3 essential important things for a mobile.

You don't need the plastic cover either, you can use the protection cover only without any issues - if you do not need the payment thing that is in it, personally I never used it myself.

If anyone have any questions in regards of it, just shoot! But I am still new to the phone - so I have yet used it as my daily driver, but I'm getting there! Just had to sort out the rooting and see what could do, break it down and such. It was many hoops to do, but now that I know, I can help others if you have any issues on those part :)

Sadly a lot of German, they have a forum and they speak mostly German - but, we can get an English Community as well around it I am sure, and help each other. Beside there are tools for translating :)

Dearly regards
    - Darkijah

P.S you get a Screwdriver with your phone, as they have focus on taking it apart and fixing it yourself and such. So the Phone is designed with that in mind. No Charger as most have chargers already to use, but a Screwdriver ;)

Although it seems to charge as "fast" or slow as the LG V20, around 2:30 hour as far as my testing goes for now. Sadly no external chargers for batteries like the V20 had, at least not for now. I had 2 of these chargers for my LG V20 and have used them a lot. Shift may have something up there sleeve for it, but time will tell.
    These are the phone's supported bands:
    • LTE Frequenzbänder: FDD-LTE B1 / B3 / B7 / B20 / B28, TDD-LTE B38 / B39 / B40 / B41
    • 3G Frequenzbänder: UMTS / HSPA+ / DC-HSDPA: B1 / B2 / B3 / B5 / B8, CDMA (800, 1900, 2100Mhz), TD-SCDMA (1900, 2000Mhz)
    T-Mobile LTE (2, 4, 5, 12, 66, 71) is out. AT&T LTE (2, 4, 5, 12, 14, 17, 29, 30, 66) is out. Verizon LTE (2, 4, 5, 13, 46, 48, 66) is out.

The only LTE band supported by any US carrier is Sprint on 41 and one band is not anything to safely rely on long-term following the T-Mobile merger.
    It's a cell phone service in the USA. (along with AT&T, Spring, TMobile, etc.)
    What cell phone services does this phone work on?
    A bump for anyone in a similar boat casually looking for a V20 successor and having to consider tradeoffs:

Although I'm still currently not looking to replace the V20 as my daily phone, if I had to buy a phone that has at least been announced in 2021, it would be the Sony Xperia 1 III. The main tradeoff is a non-removable battery.

Everything else is top tier in specs and it retains the removable storage and 3.5 mm jack, has USB-C 3.x, and doesn't compromise on CPU, 5G connectivity, or screen, camera, or audio quality like many of these alternatives. I generally don't care about price because I usually don't buy new phones anyway and I would hypothetically wait out the Xperia 1 III for at least half a year after release if I were to get one. The only brand new phone I've ever bought was the LG G4.

I've been getting tired of watching Asus screw people over on either the removable storage or 3.5 mm jack with both their Zenfone and ROG flagships, so I'm glad Sony finally included both in a contemporary flagship when everyone else has been allergic to these features.

Obviously, everyone has different priorities for what features are must-haves when moving on from the V20, but a non-removable battery isn't a dealbreaker to me as long as replacing it doesn't cause permanent cosmetic damage to the exterior. Rootability isn't very important to me anymore either after seeing how my Galaxy Tab S4 hasn't made me miss root much thanks to Blokada and YouTube Vanced.