The Nexus One's Dirty Display Secret

Search This thread

drpfenderson

Oct 3, 2008
Portland, OR
jonathancruz.net
Here are actual screenshots taken seconds apart with ShootMe using the default browser on the Nexus:

4t6m39.jpg
4ub6uf.jpg

The difference? The top was while not moving, the bottom was while my finger was touching the screen. Looks like when you're moving a pic, it is full-res. If it is not moving, it seems to compress it, leading to the banding.

Other than this article, I have not noticed any display problems. I've only had the best experience. Think the N1 has the most gorgeous display of the phones I've had. :D

cekle

Sep 25, 2009

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
THIS IS A SOFTWARE ISSUE. GALLERY APPS ON ANDROID WILL "COMPRESS" A PICTURE WHEN FIRST OPENED.

I have posted about this beforehand:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=625100

Here's the image linked above when I open it using the standard picture app on the Desire Sense UI ROM:

mars1desire.png

Notice the horrible pixels?

After opening, I pinch to zoom in and back out. After a half second, it "clicks" into place and looks like this:

mars1desire2.png

And here's what it looks like using "Multitouch Gallery" from the Market:

marsmultitouchgallery.png

IN CONCLUSION:

A) The author of the article is a complete moron.

B) Multitouch Gallery OWNS :D

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Experts

I've been using HTC products for 11 years, ie: I owned the original and subsequent generations of iPaq and 7 smartphones. I've become very skeptical about experts who claim HTC has an inferior or flawed product, especially when its a head to head comparison against a competitor.

Sure, there have been little quirks here and there, but comparatively, their products are best in class.

To the Experts: The iPhone is crap, get over it.

sourmilk

Oct 30, 2009
what i find odd is how this supposed expert dismisses both the outstanding black and contrast levels on the N1 as "only relevant for low ambient lighting."

I'm not sure what he considers low ambient lighting but even under bright fluorescent lights it is obvious that the black levels and contrast are insane on the N1. As anyone who has shopped for flat panel displays and has seen a Pioneer KURO knows, black level and contrast are king when it comes to image quality. I guess he only uses his phones outside in direct sunlight and rarely indoors.

He also mentions nothing about the amazing off angle viewing fidelity. I guess it's coming in part 2, whenever that is.

hurrycaine3000

Dec 3, 2008
York
I saved the picture from http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/154221main_20060807_PIA07997_060802183716.jpg and then opened it with B&B gallery. No banding.

A comment on the black level of the Nexus One screen. I am not a professional but I tried comparing the black of my Nexus One with my AMOLED Nokia N85, I found that the black is not as deep as the black on my N85. Different hardware perhaps.

same result here. It's def. software, not hardware issue. honestly wouldn't have noticed, but people really like trying to find flaws in this phone.

Makaijin

Oct 31, 2007
Just tried this myself. Went on link using the default browser and saved the NASA pic, open the gallery, I see banding. Used the built in picture viewer from Astro File Manager, no banding. Actually I didn't see any banding with the default browser either, only in the gallery. I running stock firmware with the 2.1 OTA update if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

flarbear

Nov 30, 2009
I see the banding in:

- the gallery app (we already knew this was a bad app)
- the browser (except when moving)
- Astro's built-in picture viewer

I do not see any banding in:

- the camera app's preview mode (you have to use a File app to move it into dcim/Camera to view it with that app)
- the B&B gallery app

I think prior Android devices may have been 16-bit and so the built-in apps may have been designed around using 16-bit images for their in memory usage to save memory. The reviewers really should design their own viewing software to ensure that they are comparing apples to Apples.

Though, they do have a point in that your web browsing and picture browsing experiences will be hampered by this software deficiency for many images with subtle gradients.

flarbear

Nov 30, 2009
Just tried this myself. Went on link using the default browser and saved the NASA pic, open the gallery, I see banding. Used the built in picture viewer from Astro File Manager, no banding. Actually I didn't see any banding with the default browser either, only in the gallery. I running stock firmware with the 2.1 OTA update if that makes any difference.

I'm running the same software setup, but I do see banding/dithering in Astro and the browser (except when panning in the browser).

I don't see them when I use the B&B gallery or when I have Astro load the pictures using B&B gallery's picture viewing service. Did you by any chance load the B&B (or some other higher quality gallery) and set Astro to use it by default?

flarbear

Nov 30, 2009
Here are some old test images that I used when I was evaluating my Plasma display banding issues. I hope they help people evaluate their displays (more specifically, their display software apps ;-).

Attachments

• RGB_ramp.png
    RGB_ramp.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Gray.png
    Gray.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Red.png
    Red.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Green.png
    Green.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Blue.png
    Blue.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 47

Talderon

Sep 17, 2008
Seattle
OLED Displays (and AMOLED Displays) are inherently High-Definition displays. Technical specifications found all over the web show that all AMOLED Displays have a higher luminescence, higher contrast ratio and are all made to display "True Colors".

You can find this information with minimal searching and effort, so reports of this nature (and I take everything from Gizmod with a grain (or 50) of salt) are over stated and to just get ratings, page views and freak out the competition.

As stated in this thread already, this really just amounts to a software/OS issue.

JanetPanic

Oct 17, 2005
Rockville, MD
The problem has nothing to do with color reproduction and everything to do with the crap scaling techniques used by the N1 (and maybe android in general).

Simple test and example. I chose the color slide from flarbar (thank you) and rotated it 90 degrees so that it would fit on the screen without scaling or rotation.

Open the image using astro image viewer in portrait mode. Then open it using the gallery. The Gallery and browser seem to use similar techniques for scaling, astro image viewer does not scale it though so reproduces it accurately. If you try and view the image in landscape it will not fit without scaling and you will see the banding effect in both gallery and astro image viewer.

It is still a problem, but it is not a hardware one.

Attachments

• RGB_ramp2.png
    RGB_ramp2.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

musashiken

Feb 22, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 5T
Hi, I just want to add that the problem exists also while setting wallpapers from pictures. Apparently, choosing a random picture from gallery and setting it as wallpaper also shows banding on your newly selected wallpaper.

I was trying out the HTC Desire's wallpapers and I see crappy color banding on the wallpapers especially the default one with rainbow bubbles. This sucks as I can't really have a nice and colorful wallpaper.

Back to using live wallpapers. At least those look crisp and colorful enough.