• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

The Note is Dead?

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Probably not the end of the Note series. Don't expect to see one in 2022 though. Samsung has always been goofy... this year has been a disaster for Samsung and the Android OS.

Between Samsung and Google dropping the ball, I said screw this and will be getting my second new 10+ N975U tomorrow. Zero learning curve means I get to have fun with it instead of troubleshooting it.

In my opinion Pie and the 10+ are still the zenith of both Android and the Samsung Note series.
Fast, drop dead gorgeous, rock solid stable with very little maintenance. So far I have replaced the battery on my heavy used current 10+ and the OS load is over a year old. 8-12 hours of SOT.
The build quality on the 10+ is excellent; it still looks and runs like new.
Good as it gets🧐

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
How do you replace the battery? Do you have a cell phone repair store do it? (I assume they are not user replaceable)
I saw it done and learned from that. Not that hard if you know how to do it and take your time.
You need the battery, OEM rear cover seal, various picks, drivers, heat plate or gun, anhydrous isopropyl alcohol/syringe.

Cannot say whether it is really dead or not. Samsung has been diminishing the series with various features being implemented into the Galaxy series.

I may not use it much, but I like have the S-pen integrated in the phone. I use cheap cases with my Notes, that do not have external slots for the pen.

My biggest issue is the recent lost of the micro SD card slot. Forever reason, my cell service carrier does not offer multiple memory options; usually the smallest. I also did not like when removable batteries were lost. People keep buying them nonetheless.

I think the Note may be a victim of too many versions. The Series has everything the Note does, except the S-pen bay. Some slight difference is shape. They also offer more affordable models that work for my others with less features than the Note or Series. My guess is that the Note was not hitting sales targets well enough.

It's possible they may create a new model series that replaces the Note. May offer a Series version that does include the things that made Note popular.

JeffATL

Oct 10, 2009
Cannot say whether it is really dead or not. Samsung has been diminishing the series with various features being implemented into the Galaxy series.

I may not use it much, but I like have the S-pen integrated in the phone. I use cheap cases with my Notes, that do not have external slots for the pen.

My biggest issue is the recent lost of the micro SD card slot. Forever reason, my cell service carrier does not offer multiple memory options; usually the smallest. I also did not like when removable batteries were lost. People keep buying them nonetheless.

I think the Note may be a victim of too many versions. The Series has everything the Note does, except the S-pen bay. Some slight difference is shape. They also offer more affordable models that work for my others with less features than the Note or Series. My guess is that the Note was not hitting sales targets well enough.

It's possible they may create a new model series that replaces the Note. May offer a Series version that does include the things that made Note popular.
The S2x and Note should be merged. For example, make the S22 Ultra have a slot for the S-Pen

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
The S2x and Note should be merged. For example, make the S22 Ultra have a slot for the S-Pen
Stupid Samsung. The Note was always a flagship power user device. The marketing morons thought they could expand it's appeal by down playing that. A big phone with lots of bells and whistles for everyone.
Now even the customers are confused and want Samsung to jam a spen into every Samsung. Let the spen orgy begin🤣

I just got my second 10+ so both Samsung and Android can fk off. That will hold me over for another 2-3 years so I don't care how badly they screw up.
Of course that doesn't sell phones... actions have consequences.

JeffATL

Oct 10, 2009
Stupid Samsung. The Note was always a flagship power user device. The marketing morons thought they could expand it's appeal by down playing that. A big phone with lots of bells and whistles for everyone.
Now even the customers are confused and want Samsung to jam a spen into every Samsung. Let the spen orgy begin🤣

I just got my second 10+ so both Samsung and Android can fk off. That will hold me over for another 2-3 years so I don't care how badly they screw up.
I'm obsessed right now with getting TMB csc on my N20 Ultra. Its not working . Trying to get help in multiple threads. I might just return it as I bought it this week and have not sent in my s20 trade in yet. I think they blocked it.

Reactions: blackhawk
I don't disagree with you. When S series was originally released, it was a powerful phone like the Note, but was a little smaller and no S-pen. There would were other differences, but it was more because hardware had advanced. When Samsung started doing to multiple versions of S-series and Note, it basically diminished both.

As someone who's been using a Note since the Note 2, I admitted to being biased. I do not have a really an issue with having an S pen usable on a S-series phone. But Samsung made it an accessory to buy. I think that's kind of nickle and dime kind of thing out of the customers.

If Samsung made the "Note" the S-series Ultra with a pen slot and pin. I'd be ok with it.

On a side note, I really hope they bring back sd card slot. I also hope they'll bring back magnetic secure transmission (MST). I use it a lot. Between that and NFC, I rarely need to use my physical credit card. At some point, almost all stores will use some kind of NFC, but the USA is nowhere near it yet.

Personally, I hope they don't make the Z-fold their main flagship and decided to put the S-pen with it. I think the phone is pretty cool and interesting, but I really don't want a phone like that. I see the folding as a risk for breakage. I rather have a large candy bar.

For now, I'll keep using the Note 20 Ultra. Not sure what I'll do with the battery goes bad or my lease ends. I may buy the phone. Who knows what Samsung will have going when either of those situations occur.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I'm obsessed right now with getting TMB csc on my N20 Ultra. Its not working . Trying to get help in multiple threads. I might just return it as I bought it this week and have not sent in my s20 trade in yet. I think they blocked it.
I'm a bit obsessed now too because my new 10+ came today loaded with Android 10 rather than 9.
What should have been a easy seamless switch going between them is now a lame tap dance.

I was looking at the N20 U's and see how your problem could easily happen. Too many variants and the sellers are deliberately not posting full specs. One of the reasons I rejected the 20U.
I know where you can pick up a new 10+ N975U1 for $800 free 2 day shipping stateside. Lol, it's going to be running on Android 10 though. No connection issues; my AT&T sim card brought it straight online.
Many sellers are doing screwball things with the 10+'s too.
Meh... I would send the 20U back for a full refund. There may be more rude surprises.

JeffATL

Oct 10, 2009
I don't disagree with you. When S series was originally released, it was a powerful phone like the Note, but was a little smaller and no S-pen. There would were other differences, but it was more because hardware had advanced. When Samsung started doing to multiple versions of S-series and Note, it basically diminished both.

As someone who's been using a Note since the Note 2, I admitted to being biased. I do not have a really an issue with having an S pen usable on a S-series phone. But Samsung made it an accessory to buy. I think that's kind of nickle and dime kind of thing out of the customers.

If Samsung made the "Note" the S-series Ultra with a pen slot and pin. I'd be ok with it.

On a side note, I really hope they bring back sd card slot. I also hope they'll bring back magnetic secure transmission (MST). I use it a lot. Between that and NFC, I rarely need to use my physical credit card. At some point, almost all stores will use some kind of NFC, but the USA is nowhere near it yet.

Personally, I hope they don't make the Z-fold their main flagship and decided to put the S-pen with it. I think the phone is pretty cool and interesting, but I really don't want a phone like that. I see the folding as a risk for breakage. I rather have a large candy bar.

For now, I'll keep using the Note 20 Ultra. Not sure what I'll do with the battery goes bad or my lease ends. I may buy the phone. Who knows what Samsung will have going when either of those situations occur.
Exactly , the S22 Standard, FE (if there is one) and Plus should not have S-Pen, but if just the Ultra had it and had a slot it would be king of the castle.

I agree about the Fold3 , it also does not have a slot.

Unfortunately I don't think microSD slot is coming back, its gone the way of the IR Blaster I miss from the s6

... Unfortunately I don't think microSD slot is coming back, its gone the way of the IR Blaster I miss from the s6
I agree about the SD card slot. All the more reason to get people to buy/subscribe into cloud storage systems.

I forgot about the IR blaster. I did not use it much on my Note4, but I did like it. That could still be useful today. Many media appliances have some kind of app or internet interface, so it's usefulness becomes more diminished by the year.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Unfortunately I don't think microSD slot is coming back, its gone the way of the IR Blaster I miss from the s6
Samsung is feeling the heat. 2021 is a bust for Samsung as far as phone sales go.
They have no one to blame but themselves.

With no SD card slot the phone is dead to me.
I'm adding a 1tb v30 card to my second N10+.
I can fill that, no problem as I actually need 2-3tb of data storage. Even 500gb of internal storage barely meets my minimum needs.

May take a year or two but Samsung will likely bring the SD card slot back as has happen so many times in the past. Cloud storage is no substitute for onboard memory; it wastes battery and bandwidth.
Samsung's ineptness has cost them at least one newly released flagship phone with me, probably two or more by the time it's all said and done.
I can do fine for at least 2-3 more years running the 10+'s.
I don't care... 🤣

JeffATL

Oct 10, 2009
Samsung is feeling the heat. 2021 is a bust for Samsung as far as phone sales go.
They have no one to blame but themselves.

With no SD card slot the phone is dead to me.
I'm adding a 1tb v30 card to my second N10+.
I can fill that, no problem as I actually need 2-3tb of data storage. Even 500gb of internal storage barely meets my minimum needs.

May take a year or two but Samsung will likely bring the SD card slot back as has happen so many times in the past. Cloud storage is no substitute for onboard memory; it wastes battery and bandwidth.
Samsung's ineptness has cost them at least one newly released flagship phone with me, probably two or more by the time it's all said and done.
I can do fine for at least 2-3 more years running the 10+'s.
I don't care... 🤣
I never use that much memory - you load it with 4k movies?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I never use that much memory - you load it with 4k movies?
221gb in wav files alone, lol my CD/HDCD collection in my pocket. My photos are around 1+tb. Data files are around 100gb.
Movies are still the minority simply because I haven't ripped them to hdd.
As far as I'm concerned you can never have enough backup copies...

My actual 10+ app load is deliberately light. Zero social media apps. .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.