The Proper Way to root your S10 (10+,10e) Device and get it Right! Tipps & Tricks

Search This thread

Gymcode

Jan 21, 2019
I had Magisk installed on my s10e, and verified to be rooted.
However, when I proceed to flash a magisk_patched.tar package that contains patched TWRP recovery img with the remaining original BL+CP+HOME_CSC, the next reboot will always fail and goes straight to download mode with the following error:

(AVB Fail)
Recovery: Error Validating Footer (0)
Recovery: Error verifying vbmeta image: Invalid vbmeta header (0)

I would need to flash the stock firmware in order to boot up the phone afterwards.

TWRP version I am using is twrp-beyond0lte-3.3.1-103_ianmacd

May I know what should I do? I have tried many times :/

Phlipz91

Nov 22, 2019
Thanks a lot for the tutorial, really helpful.

Was able to root and install Beyond Rom.

Nice Rom by the way, give it a try. :)

Best regards

AmberKat

Jul 24, 2017
TWRP Doesnt boot

i followed this guide but right after the screen went black after i was in download mode and i instantly pressed the bixby button, volume up, and power, it didnt go into twrp, it just rebooted casuing a bootloop

what am i doing wrong? (on the latest firmware for the s10 g973f as of today) i am rooted with magisk, but i cant get twrp to work, and i need to get twrp to work so i can remove the stupid warning at startup!

Reactions: Meteor100

harryc88

Jun 25, 2009
I followed the the guide and was successful in rooting my S10+, however after a reboot my root has been lost. I've tried reflashing through twrp magisk version 20.4(20400) and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
I followed the the guide and was successful in rooting my S10+, however after a reboot my root has been lost. I've tried reflashing through twrp magisk version 20.4(20400) and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

You need to hold Bixby and volume up when you power on for a couple sec. Not long enough to boot to recovery. If you read other magisk guides on this device you will set mention of it to

Reactions: tombbb
Bricked Device

I was trying to root according to the guide, while flashing the patched AP, ODIN paching system, then suddenly stopped, waited for so long, nothing happened, then had to reboot, but then the G975F got stuck on green screen with message "error occurred while updating device software, use emergency recovery function in the smarth switch pc software" when i connect the pc smart switch software device not recognized, unable to shut down device or get to download mode, also an error appears level 4260 secure check fail (Pit) Any help?

Unbricked device

I was trying to root according to the guide, while flashing the patched AP, ODIN paching system, then suddenly stopped, waited for so long, nothing happened, then had to reboot, but then the G975F got stuck on green screen with message "error occurred while updating device software, use emergency recovery function in the smarth switch pc software" when i connect the pc smart switch software device not recognized, unable to shut down device or get to download mode, also an error appears level 4260 secure check fail (Pit) Any help?

It was my error, used the wrong firmware, even though it was the correct model. Just flashed the BL, then I was able to run Downoad Mode. The Flashed the official firmware. It was easy, but took quite some time to figure it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: DHGE

skillfulmmd1

Jul 24, 2020
Uk phone using German PDA?

Can you guys let me know the best way to continue the root process. I'm on the early stage of grabbing offcial firmware and I have run into a weird issue with my PDA and Model number. I purchased my phone from Carphone warehouse in the UK on an O2 sim so as far as I know this should be unlocked. When I check my model number and PDA they don't match up with what I would expect to see.

My model is - SM-G975F
PDA is - G975FXXU7CTF1

Any help or advice on what I should do here would be appreciated.

grave-diggers

Mar 21, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S10
magisk download is broken, otherwise. Good guide, going to try this after download is done. Will report back.
Edit: After installing magisk as explained I can't seem to boot into download mode with vol down, bixby, power and cable connect. Any tips?

Last edited:

matata86

May 10, 2009
There is some solution to boot AUTOMATICALLY with root when restarting. When the phone restarts at night, for example, it boots into the non-root version. : - /

Meteor100

Mar 17, 2013
i followed this guide but right after the screen went black after i was in download mode and i instantly pressed the bixby button, volume up, and power, it didnt go into twrp, it just rebooted casuing a bootloop

what am i doing wrong? (on the latest firmware for the s10 g973f as of today) i am rooted with magisk, but i cant get twrp to work, and i need to get twrp to work so i can remove the stupid warning at startup!

I 've also able to install and use magisk, but when I add twrp image to tar AP file and install it I have bootlops.

revized

May 30, 2009
united sins of america
Wow a lot of steps, going to give it a go because spammy is getting loco as usual,pop ups restart device with proper uicc blah blah blah . Man about to toss a rock though spammyshq lol
This is for usa models correct?

GabrielSousa

Feb 15, 2011
Leiria
OnePlus 9 Pro
on secdond time i have to verify oem unlock, i dont see the option :(

i have the bootloader unlock but still says "olyifficial released binaries are allowed to be flashed RECOVERY)

manage to flash twrp-3.4.0-0-beyond2lte.img.tar, but now its on download mode loot, wont boot :( please help

my bad, i have to flash the all firmware and start the process again :( i skip steps...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    S10 Root Tutorial - optimized (orange)

S10/e/+ Root & Custom Rom Guide

Credits go to our Hero TopJohnWu & Developers & Contributors!
    I attached the original File (see at the bottom)

Change log

• 21/06/2019 – Initial Version
    • 03/09/2019 – Correct typo with Download Mode key combo
    • 11/09/2019 – Added link to Telegram group in ROM section
    • 11/09/2019 – Added change log.
    • 12/09/2019 – Add note about TWRP version
    • 07/12/2019 – added some more Notes & Nice to Knows ||||| ;)

Details
    This guide will help you take your virgin S10 phone to a fully rooted phone running a custom rom.
    It is highly recommended that you use an external SD card for this process as the steps has you formatting the internal data a couple of times, so having this on an external SD will keep this all intact.
    Also note that MTP to your phone via a PC can get varied results, hence why again using an SD card is recommended as with an adaptor you can plug this straight into your PC and into phone when needed.

You must understand - that you always have to handle the Booting Process manually with the key combinations of Buttons after flashing - else you will have reboots and fails(no twrp etc)!

--Download Latest/your Official Firmware Version (PC)--
    • On PC Download Samfirm from the following link: Updato& Sammobile (S10-Example) or search on google
    • Extract the zip and run samfirm.exe
    • Enter your model and Region (I.E Model=G975F, Region=BTU)
    • Tick ‘Auto’
    • Click Check Update
    • It should show you the latest firmware version
    • Click Download
    • Firmware will download and decrypt (if Decrypt automatically was ticked)
    • Default download location (My Documents)
    >> • Prepare those Files (Unpack them) and get them on your External SD-Card - you will need them later <<<

--Download ODIN 3.13.1 (PC - FLASHSOFTWARE) --
    • Go here and download the latest version of ODIN
    >>> • Be sure to uncheck "Auto-Restart" later on - because there is a Twist to this (see Tipps&Tricks) <<<

--Unlock Bootloader--
    **WARNING THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DATA**
    • Enable developer Settings
    (Settings > About Phone > Software Information > Tap build number 7 times (Enter your device pin)
    • Go into Developer option and enable ‘OEM Unlocking’ (Enter Device Pin)
    >>> THIS WILL ONLY SHOW UP - IF you have Internet activated (WLAN or 3G/LTE) & you must set your Date 7+ Days into the Future! <<<
    • WARNING MESSAGE: Click turn on
    • Power off your phone
    • Hold Bixby + Volume Down and plug in your phone to your PC
    >>> Bixby + Volume down + USB-Cable (plug it) = Downloadmode <<<
    Download mode should now be shown
    • Hold Volume Up, you’ll get a warning message, then press volume up to accept.
    • This will now wipe your data and automatically reboot
    • Boot the phone
    • Go through initial set-up but skip everything for now
    • Enable developer mode again and OEM unlocking (or should be enabled and greyed out)
    • You are now done, and your bootloader will now allow ‘Unofficial Images’
    --Download Latest TWRP (Phone)--
    • On your phone Download the latest TWRP image for your model to the phone external SD card from here
    • **NOTE – If you are installing Beyond Rom version 5.3 and onwards then you need to download a minimum of TWRP version 3.3.1-7
    • We will need this later….
    --Patch Firmware & TWRP File--
    • On your PC extract the firmware files (AP, BL, CP and HOME_CSC)
    • Copy the AP file to your SD card and enter SD card in your phone
    • On your phone download the latest Magisk Manager APK from here
    • Install the app.
    • You may need to allow to “Install Unknow Apps” for chrome
    1. Load up Magisk Manager on your phone
    2. Next to ‘Magisk is not installed.” Click Install
    3. Click Install on the pop up
    4. Click ‘Select and Patch a File’
    5. Select the AP file you copied across to your external SD
    6. Magisk will now patch the AP file
    7. A file called magisk_pached.tar will be created
    • Repeat steps 2-4 but this time for the TWRP image file you downloaded earlier to your external SD.
    • At the end of this process you should have two files
    magisk_patched.tar and magisk_patched.img
    • One is a Magisk patched version of TWRP (.IMG) and the other is a Magisk patched version of stock rom (.TAR)
    --Rename and repackage--
    • Remove the SD card from your phone and plug into PC
    • Copy the above files from the SD to you PC
    magisk_patched.tar & magisk_patched.img
    • Rename the file magisk_patched.img to recovery.img
    • Open the file magisk_patched.tar using a zip tool (I.E 7Zip) inside the archive remove the existing recovery.img and replace with the new patched recovery.img you made above
    --Download Multi-disabler (Phone)--
    • On your phone download multi disabler from here
    • Ensure this is on your External SD card
    --Download Custom Rom (Beyond) (Phone)--
    • Head over to the ROM telegram group to download the latest version of Beyond ROM and tips/tricks and notices the telegram group is here
    • Download the latest ROM to your phone.
    • Ensure this is on your External SD Card

--Flash Patched File--
    • Turn off your phone and boot into download mode (Hold BIXBY + VOL DOWN + Plug in USB)
    • Press volume up to enter download mode
    • On PC load up Odin
    • Using the patched file and other files you extracted earlier place the following files in the following location
    AP = magisk_patched.tar (Created above with custom patched recovery.img inside)
    BL = BL_XXXXXXX (Extracted from original firmware file)
    CP = CP_XXXXX (Extracted from original firmware file)
    CSC = HOME_CSC_XXXXXX (Extracted for original firmware file)
    • Under the options tab ensure ‘AUTO REBOOT’ is not ticked
    • Click Start – This should take 5 – 10mins to complete.

--Full Data Wipe--
    **DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP**
    • Your phone should still be in Download Mode
    • Review the next few steps to familiarise yourself with the button combinations
    • Press Power + Volume Down for a few seconds to exit download mode
    • AS SOON AS THE SCREEN GOES BLACK
    HOLD Power + Bixby + Volume Up
    KEEP HOLDING THESE KEYS UNTIL YOU SEE THE TWRP LOGO
    • If TWRP runs a script and then reboots, immediately hold the same buttons again to get back into TWRP
    --Multidisabler and Date Wipe--
    • Click Install and select the Multidisabler.zip you downloaded earlier – DO NOT REBOOT
    • Back to main menu in TWRP select WIPE>FORMAT DATA and TYPE YES, CLICK TICK BUTTON
    **WHEN COMPLETE DO NOT REBOOT**
    • Back to menu of TWRP select WIPE and swipe to do a Factory Reset (Data, Cache and Dalvik wipe) **WHEN COMPLETE DO NOT REBOOT**
    • Back to main menu, Click Reboot, and Choose Recovery (Don’t hold any Buttons)
    • The system will start booting (and will automatically reboot the first time)
    • When booted, complete the initial set-up (Internet Connection is required), If you are going to custom rom, then you can skip logging into your account.
    • Open Magisk (if it’s not in your app draw then manually install)
    • Complete the steps required by Magisk

--Install Custom Rom (Beyond Rom)--
    • Power off your phone
    • Hold Power + Bixby + Volume Up until you see the TWRP logo
    • Click Install
    • Select the Beyond custom rom zip you downloaded to your phone earlier
    • Follow the Aroma install options (do clean install the first time)
    • When flash is complete, use reboot option and select reboot to recovery.
    >>> DO NOT JUST REBOOT AFTER FLASHING - ALWAYS GO BACK IN MAIN MENU > REBOOT MENU & BOOT INTO RECOVERY - SO YOU WILL HAVE ROOT - OTHERWISE NOT! <<
    • Congratulations you now have Custom rom installed on your S10.

Notes/Tips/Tricks
    • Every time you reboot you will need to use the key combo or..
    >>> Do this right after the flashing Process - when you it restarts - or better restart manually <<
    ◦ Hold Power + Bixby + Volume Up to TWRP logo to enter recovery
    ◦ Hold Power + Bixby + Volume Up until you see the Samsung warning screen for the 2nd time to boot into rooted rom.

When you get Stuck or something doesn't go well - don't worry - you can always flash a patched TWRP by itself!
    • Go to Download Mode
    • Use a patched TWRP and put it as recovery.img inside a recovery.tar (you create the archive (pack the .img as a .tar instead of .zip) using 7zip or similar)
    • After you flashed it successfully and the screen turns dark (your restart)
    - you instantly hold VOLup + Bixby + Power Button ( over the first 2 Screens)
    - and let go, but hold VOLup down with your finger UNTIL TWRP comes up! - you are safe now! (almost) :silly: :victory:

>>> DO NOT JUST REBOOT AFTER FLASHING - ALWAYS GO BACK & BOOT INTO RECOVERY - SO YOU WILL HAVE ROOT - OTHERWISE NOT! <<

• Edxposed works for Pie and supports some functionality for Samsung phones like:
    ◦ Removing high volume warning
    ◦ Removing high brightness warning
    ◦ Advance power menu (Reboot to recovery, download etc..)
    ◦ Details can be found here

Here is a Video as well, wich is good to follow
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3a8YnWT3yk

But after you did this all in the Video - you need to flash patched TWRP!
    I recommend to do it right after the patched AP File - let it stay in downloadload-mode, plug the usb-cable out and back in and flash the recovery.tar!
    And you will have TWRP and now you can flash ROMS & BACKUP etc !
    TWRP has also has File Manager - you can move/copy folders & files from internal to external etc ;)

ok, well I added everything in orange what else was needed to be said! Wich I had to find out the hard way... and wich saves lots of Time!!
    I still not slept for over 42 and wrote all this the last 2 hours, because I was so excited and wanted to give back! (and the Backup goes from internal to external at the same time ;)
    I will may add more to this Thread here... I have many tipps & tricks... wich is not so easy to find out first ;)

I wish you all the best with your Rooted Samsung S10 S10+ etc
    God bless you & sleep well ;)

Best regards :victory:
    |||||
    Hi Guys :cowboy:

Today I want to bring some simple and effektive Insights on proper Device & Software Management and also about Mistakes on the Way and Solutions! :good: ;)

So make yourself comfortable and check this out! It will really help at one point or another!

Well well, so after a really long and stressfull day with no sleep at all for now straight 40h, I just got a HUGE Relief, that I finally found a Solution for this Struggle!
    Over the Years it got much more complicated with rooting etc because the Manufacturere make it more complicated every year and protect their (our) devices.

So after beeing in the Community for a While I want to give back! And also give out a HUGE THANKS for everyone here in the XDA Community & who is here and helps in some way! :fingers-crossed::highfive:
    And especially really big THANKS! to all the great developers here! :)

What happened?
    (you can find the whole struggle here - in this thread (there was no help...!))
    Yesterday, when I was tired, but I wanted to "quickly Update" to latest Firmware of Beyond Rom (from 5.2 to 5.8)
    But then it all went wrong. I made some hasty actions and so Mistakes followed and it all went wrong in some way or another...
    Basically I screwed up my System and it would be gone ! So I thought, unti now! But let me explain first and write about Mistakes one can make... (dispite having alot of experience over the years)

MISTAKES
    Not to make a proper Backup, before modifieng anything on the System! :eek:
    This is one of the worst mistakes, because when it's gone - it's gone! All the Time, Work and Unique Things (Pictures/Videos/Conversations etc)

• No Backup
    • No/little Preparation
    • Risky Filemanagement
    • Hasty work
    • work too tired on complicated or critical things

Problem:
    Yesterday I saved the FULL TWRP SYSTEM/DATA/etc Backup on the internal Backup, because the 200 GB external SD-Card was full or didn't had enought Space... (I didn't removed all the Photos and Videos I made for a while)
    AND not only that - I also did save the whole November on the internal SD-Card and did not make an extra BACKUP!! (NOTE: copy all unique files from internal SDCARD to hard drive - before flashing the new ROM-Update!) :( :cyclops:
    Also after that I thought, I didn't had the right TWRP Version (not latest) and quickly decided to flash the recovery.img with it, inside twrp as a the last resort... bad Idea, because after that it would not let me in (it wasn't compatible with 5.2 - see the beyond rom thread)
    when I made the Combination of Keys: VOLup+Bixby+Power = RECOVERY the screen instantly dissapeared and I was shocked... there was more and more. One Time it says something like "Only use original Firmware..." when I wanted to go to download Modus! Combination VOLdown+Bixby+USB-C-Cable-plug-in = Download Mode

The whole Day I had a really really bad Feeling about this whole thing, I thought it was lost, so many unique pictures (family, spezial events etc) and communications, new contacts etc. everything would be lost!
    It was soo hard - that I got a spontanious Idea.... wich probably saved my Ass! I bought a new Galaxy S10 today and flashed about 100 GB up and down of different Versions of DBT Firmware, AP Files and Custom Roms...
    Until I got it right!
    So I really got into it today and I found those Tutorials here

Solution:

• Found the Samsung S10 Rooting Dynamics & how to avoid the stumbling blocks
    • Read the Proper Tutorial & watch a Video on how to do it.
    • Combine everything and try it out first in an secure enviroment and then go for the real deal!
    • Make sure it works!
    • Set your Focus, Heart & Intentions properly! This is the main weapons in life to become sucessful in any situation - in the long run!

CONCLUSIONS:

• Always Backup properly, before working in the System - even on smaller Things - working with Titanium Backup, removing System related Apps) - it might cause a Bootloop afterwards!
    • Make at least a Full TWRP Backup, before updating or modifing something critical / System related
    • You always come back to your Backup when something goes wrong - you will be happy, you made it, I guarantee you that!
    • When its complicated check out multiple Sources & People or someone who made it very good - when you want to learn to be successful with the thing you do.
    • Don't decide to quickly when it has big consequences (I could have taken my older Backup from 1. November by this time)
    • You always will find a good solution - in the end - if you focus on finding the solution as long as it takes and in several tries - don't let complicated things or fails overwhelm you.

I'm now really happy, because everything went good in the End and I had some very good Learnings & Experience on the Way!
    That what Problems are for... to learn and grow! So don't worry about the Problems to much, but ask & go in the Direction for Solutions! UNTIL - you find the way ;)

I hope you can find something valueble here in.
    Ok enought with the Motivation Stuff.

In the next Post I show the concrete steps and what also to keep in mind!

Thanks for reading and best regards
    God bless you & you bless all around you :victory:
    |||||
    More Tipps & Tricks to come :highfive::victory:
    Yes you can root without custom Rom and keep stock firmware running.

Hi all,

Is it possible to just follow the steps up until the point that my phone is just Rooted, without flashing any ROM?
    As in, I just want a rooted phone and keep the stock firmware that's already on the S10, without flashing a custom ROM.

I rooted quite some phones over the years, but this S10 is on another level, so I just want to make sure that I can keep all features and functions my phone currently has to offer, but including Root & Magisk.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can root the phone with official firmware and without having a custom Rom.:cowboy:

--Summarized steps-- (detailed steps already given in main Post)

1) download official firmware for your model using samloader or frija.

2) patch TWRP with Magisk and add it to the AP file in your firmware.

3) go-to download mode and flash the BL, Modified AP, CSC & Home CSC.

4) reboot holding bixby+volup+power into TWRP.

5) in TWRP. Go to Wipe , format data, yes
    -Then factory data reset
    -Then advance wipe, check system, data, cache & dalvic cache. ( DO NOT WIPE INTERNAL STORAGE ).

6) Install Multidisabler 2.6 zip

Reboot to recovery from TWRP.

That's all. Now you have rooted stock firmware.
    Enjoy!:laugh:
    Hello everyone, this tutorial dates from 2019 so since the end of 2021 Samsung and google have reinforced rooting security.
    So be careful of the risk of using the explanation on page 1, also there is a very simple way to root your S10 G973F exynos.
    Use John Wu's explanation which you will find on github.

Hello Zisinikos, for the US version you just need the AP of the US firmware and modify it with magisk.