• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

The settings Facebook doesn't want you to see

Search This thread
I was just tooling around in my new Quest 2 and, while my level of technical expertise is sufficient to be dangerous, I don't have any real idea what I'm doing as far as rooting, bootloader mods, etc. However, I seem to have stumbled into the regular Android settings after an app I was trying asked for usage permissions, which it seems Oculus doesn't expect any of its bespoke apps to do.

The Android settings behave oddly, though, but more like there's some kind of watcher app that's preventing access to most of these non-Oculus options. Case-in-point, the app that wants usage access, when I enter the Usage permissions screen and select the app from the menu to be taken to the screen where it displays what the app will do with usage permissions and presents the toggle for it, the screen comes up only briefly before the settings dialogue disappears entirely with an error saying that "System has stopped responding". I'm pretty sure if I were fast enough, I could probably toggle it in time, but I could also try to grant those perms via adb (which I only now remembered I could do and thus haven't done yet).

I also found and enabled the actual Developer Options, not the basic one Oculus gives us if we sign up as a developer organization. I am certain that they have actually been enabled: Even though the "{ } Developer Options" menu item keeps reloading the page that its on, settings that you'd expect to find within now turn up in the settings search dialogue.

One of these options is to enable OEM bootloader unlock. Selecting that options from the search results screen (or any other search result you'd find within Developer Options) however does like before, drops you at the menu page with the "{ } Developer Options" option.

It would be absurd if it were to be as simple as enabling that option to gain access to the bootloader and do whatever, even moreso if it was me that first wrote about it -- but, since I'm under the impression that the settings aren't actually broken so much as they are being suppressed, is there a way to toggle these various developer options, including the OEM bootloader unlock, via adb?

(Another point in favor of suppression rather than breakage, the Oculus refuses to take a screenshot of anything I'm doing with a message stating that the device is forbidden from doing so, although in less nefarious language.)

tl;dr -- how might I go about programatically toggling developer options on the device to find out what happens? More broadly, what's a good place to start being more dangerous vis-à-vis my Android technical expertise? I find its structure in every way baffling and nightmarish.

And then just for kicks, there's some oddities, like how the machine name in adb shell comes back as "hollywood" (which I found a bit Baader–Meinhof-y, since I was watching a bunch of Modern Vintage Gamer vids including his one on the Wii and its "Hollywood"-benamed graphics coprocessor). Also, fastboot oem unlock returns a curious error directing the user to visit https://oculus.com/unlock, which doesn't exist, and as far as the Wayback Machine is concerned, has basically never existed.

Reactions: suckerberggth

dustojnikhummer

Mar 1, 2017
This settings menu is (or at least it was) fully accessible on my Quest 1 last time I tried it. There does not seem to be an entry point on Quest 2 though.

Reactions: suckerberggth

Honestly Annoying

May 17, 2016
chicago
twitter.com
I was just tooling around in my new Quest 2 and, while my level of technical expertise is sufficient to be dangerous, I don't have any real idea what I'm doing as far as rooting, bootloader mods, etc. However, I seem to have stumbled into the regular Android settings after an app I was trying asked for usage permissions, which it seems Oculus doesn't expect any of its bespoke apps to do.

The Android settings behave oddly, though, but more like there's some kind of watcher app that's preventing access to most of these non-Oculus options. Case-in-point, the app that wants usage access, when I enter the Usage permissions screen and select the app from the menu to be taken to the screen where it displays what the app will do with usage permissions and presents the toggle for it, the screen comes up only briefly before the settings dialogue disappears entirely with an error saying that "System has stopped responding". I'm pretty sure if I were fast enough, I could probably toggle it in time, but I could also try to grant those perms via adb (which I only now remembered I could do and thus haven't done yet).

I also found and enabled the actual Developer Options, not the basic one Oculus gives us if we sign up as a developer organization. I am certain that they have actually been enabled: Even though the "{ } Developer Options" menu item keeps reloading the page that its on, settings that you'd expect to find within now turn up in the settings search dialogue.

One of these options is to enable OEM bootloader unlock. Selecting that options from the search results screen (or any other search result you'd find within Developer Options) however does like before, drops you at the menu page with the "{ } Developer Options" option.

It would be absurd if it were to be as simple as enabling that option to gain access to the bootloader and do whatever, even moreso if it was me that first wrote about it -- but, since I'm under the impression that the settings aren't actually broken so much as they are being suppressed, is there a way to toggle these various developer options, including the OEM bootloader unlock, via adb?

(Another point in favor of suppression rather than breakage, the Oculus refuses to take a screenshot of anything I'm doing with a message stating that the device is forbidden from doing so, although in less nefarious language.)

tl;dr -- how might I go about programatically toggling developer options on the device to find out what happens? More broadly, what's a good place to start being more dangerous vis-à-vis my Android technical expertise? I find its structure in every way baffling and nightmarish.

And then just for kicks, there's some oddities, like how the machine name in adb shell comes back as "hollywood" (which I found a bit Baader–Meinhof-y, since I was watching a bunch of Modern Vintage Gamer vids including his one on the Wii and its "Hollywood"-benamed graphics coprocessor). Also, fastboot oem unlock returns a curious error directing the user to visit https://oculus.com/unlock, which doesn't exist, and as far as the Wayback Machine is concerned, has basically never existed.
Would you mind explaining how you got the settings page to open on the Quest 2? I am an OG root dev and just picked up a Quest 2 myself, would love to crack into this.

Honestly Annoying

May 17, 2016
chicago
twitter.com
Oh, dang, yeah, sorry things have been mad hectic and I didn't see these responses. I'll provide a write-up tomorrow, ping me again if I don't reply later cause I'm a forgetful idiot.
All good, I actually figured out how to launch the settings page from this command:

adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -d com.oculus.tv -e uri com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings com.oculus.vrshell/.MainActivity

Everything works in this page, except for launching the Developer settings option. This crashes the app as you mentioned, even though I can see the OEM Unlock option in the settings search bar.

Reactions: espionage724
All good, I actually figured out how to launch the settings page from this command:

adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -d com.oculus.tv -e uri com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings com.oculus.vrshell/.MainActivity

Everything works in this page, except for launching the Developer settings option. This crashes the app as you mentioned, even though I can see the OEM Unlock option in the settings search bar.
Oh, cool, I spent some time myself looking for a similar command, but I don't know much about the inner workings of Android. Do you know if there's a way to programmatically toggle the OEM Unlock switch?

I'll still post my circuitous method of getting there tonight (US/Central), maybe it will be enlightening in some way. I can't take screenshots or video of the process, cause the security policy configured by Facebook disallows it in those places.

This repo is also very helpful, I am getting told to visit the same non-existent page you were as well when running fastboot oem unlock.

Okay, things are a bit different since when I first posted -- I can grant packages usage access without crashing back to Android settings (`com.android.settings`). However, I can launch Android settings directly using App Manager (https://muntashirakon.github.io/AppManager/). Still can't screengrab, though, and still can't access the Developer Options, can only search for them. Interestingly, the breadcrumbs in the search results refer to the uppermost level as `null`.

So i connected my Quest 2 to Android studio and used the debug and the log tool to see why the settings app crashes when trying to enter the developer settings. I got the exception and maybe i can paste it in here when i get home. Also i managed to sign out of my Facebook account and remove the oculus system administrator but that made the headset useless. I also created an app for the oculus that search for all the installed packages and when you click on one of them it's trying to launch the package in vr shell and found some interesting things such as a oculus assistant and a battery charging mode setting.

Reactions: dwkindig

misakayuuki

Jul 3, 2021
This repo is also very helpful, I am getting told to visit the same non-existent page you were as well when running fastboot oem unlock.

maybe the page does exist, but you don't have the authority to visit it, so oculus redirect you to somewhere else

raeumler

Jul 9, 2016
LG Velvet
maybe its not helpfull, but when you start wireless wifi on the Q via a wired adb host , you can install the app 'remote adb shell' (blue cast icon, pstore) on the quest and connect to localhost. so you have an on device adb shell for pm commands. it has to be this remote app because of lack on adb shell command without magiskmodule (termux crashes to the tv channel). i dont know how the activitys are called in android so maybe you got luck. also are the developer options part of the settings.apk? i think they pulled it out like that so why not making a new settings.apk where the devops are available? on this way there is sure an option to have a lock on the wifi adb too so it doesnt shutdown anytime you reactivate. edit: seems that with the new multitasking feature, its possible to hold up a wifi connection even the hmd was locked, just run the remote shell, connect and dont close it. you can connect via pc too without need to use adb tcpip again. before i setup adb tcpip via ' setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555 ' again on the remote shell app. i now let it locked, and look how long it can holdup the wifidebug without reactivating via cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwkindig

raeumler

Jul 9, 2016
LG Velvet
maybe its not helpfull, but when you start wireless wifi on the Q via a wired adb host , you can install the app 'remote adb shell' (blue cast icon, pstore) on the quest and connect to localhost. so you have an on device adb shell for pm commands. it has to be this remote app because of lack on adb shell command without magiskmodule (termux crashes to the tv channel). i dont know how the activitys are called in android so maybe you got luck. also are the developer options part of the settings.apk? i think they pulled it out like that so why not making a new settings.apk where the devops are available? on this way there is sure an option to have a lock on the wifi adb too so it doesnt shutdown anytime you reactivate. edit: seems that with the new multitasking feature, its possible to hold up a wifi connection even the hmd was locked, just run the remote shell, connect and dont close it. you can connect via pc too without need to use adb tcpip again. before i setup adb tcpip via ' setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555 ' again on the remote shell app. i now let it locked, and look how long it can holdup the wifidebug without reactivating via cable.
if someone knows a working terminal for the quest (the original crashes the keyboard after a while). to replace the remote adb shell app, we could use an adb binary that holds up the wifi with adb shell to localhost (shell commands), while another terminal (local, pc or smartphone) can connect through the adb binary over wifi to localhost/quest-ip (for adb commands). but setting up an adb server (not the service) via adb binary and on-device terminal (even via adb shell) is not possible without root (but the remote adb shell app starts one or does it somelike different without root and on-device). when we know how we could put that logic together in a script or apk then). but anyways:

so its setted up now on my quest for holding up debug over wifi (sideload connection) and have an ondevice shell. it runs minimum 23 hours without needing to activate it via cable (adb device to check connection)

1. download/sideload remote adb shell app
2. connect quest2 to a host via usb
3. open cmd on host: adb tcpip 5555
4. disconnect usb
5. start remote adb shell on the quest and type quest-ip:5555 OR localhost:5555 and click connect
6. type in remote adb shell: setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555
7. minimze the remote adb shell app and let it run
(8). to disable wifidebug: setprop service.adb.tcp.port -1

now there is no need for reactivating until reboot. if you want to run a command go to -> apps -> unknown sources -> open remote app (as there is no recent button).
you can connect to any adb host via wifi (local, pc, smartphone) even after lock or a matter of time (min 23 hours)

the remote adb shell app:

with terminal shortcut app you can make settings-scripts then and run them via iconlist for textureresolution and gpu level or whatever ....

ps: maybe im in the wrong subforum now. should i make a thread?
pps: the app 'autostart and stay' adds an autostart option to the quest, which allows to run a launcher before original launcher comes up. (buggy)
ppps: the app SSH Server can set up a SFTP connection for wireless filetransfers

edit: could be that it just work to the first whyeverdisconnect then the quests tracking is beside and you have to reboot

Last edited:

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
realmofespionage.xyz

This still works today! I have a Quest 2 running V35, and recently un-linked my Facebook and Oculus accounts. After finally getting my Quest 2 back up (still needed to use the old Oculus apk from an Android device and Quest 1 device selection), the timezone was off, so I used the above adb shell command to access settings, and changed the timezone fine.

I also changed the Device Name, although I'm unsure what ramifications that might cause later.

Edit: Don't change your Oculus account password after doing the FB account bypass. You'll break the log-in session, and have to factory-reset and start over.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Would you mind explaining how you got the settings page to open on the Quest 2? I am an OG root dev and just picked up a Quest 2 myself, would love to crack into this.

This settings menu is (or at least it was) fully accessible on my Quest 1 last time I tried it. There does not seem to be an entry point on Quest 2 though.
    I am currently enjoying the "Bugjaeger" app from the play store. That is a good ADB solution for the Quest 2. Have fun.
    Oh, dang, yeah, sorry things have been mad hectic and I didn't see these responses. I'll provide a write-up tomorrow, ping me again if I don't reply later cause I'm a forgetful idiot.