General The Source Code of the Tab S8 line is here!

Search This thread

SavXL

I put in an email to Samsung Open Source to see if I could have the source code of the Tab S8+ (I didn't think to ask for the source code of the other Tab S8 devices at the time, but I will gladly ask for the other ones if they're needed.) so that maybe some development could be made on it (I'm not sure if development is happening for it behind the scenes or not. All I know is that I haven't seen anyone post anything in the development section). I'm not the most technically inclined, so I have not nary a clue of how important having the source code for a device is for development in terms of ROMs, kernels, recoveries, etc, but I'd like to think it's pretty important. If having it is an important step in having development start happening for the Tab S8 line of devices, then I will gladly link it. I'm currently downloading it as I'm typing this out. So, if you'd like it or need it for development purposes (or any specific files from the kernel, platform, etc), let me know, and I'll provide it as soon as it finishes downloading. :)

Edit: Update! The source code just finished downloading!

Edit 2: Turns out they gave me the source code for the april firmware update. So, it's not the absolute most up to date source code, but it may as well be as it seems that there isn't any available source code for the may firmware update, yet.

Edit 3: Finished uploading the source code. If you need it for development purposes, then here you go! Hopefully something cool will eventually come out of it! The file is super compressed and is around 6GB total once everything is extracted.

Edit 4: Now the source code of all three Tab S8 devices is here and available to download. I really really hope some new and awesome software development can happen now that the source code is available for all three Tab S8s. Regardless, here they are. Have fun! :)

Tab S8 Source Code: https://mega.nz/file/2hNSSIwA#FrDXCDFjo4OgfqkFy-0334fjFblGmnw1mQJFjOO6aRI
Tab S8+ Source Code: https://mega.nz/file/SgE3BBBD#RMvNMgd9V8bOZ6OLjYoz5jEo3UBBe8UDMOyq176jA7I
Tab S8 Ultra Source Code: https://mega.nz/file/m5sgmAyZ#5OXCFX_O5oYVK-F3BwVVCboLXDNTbNGQRcd3cKfCq3E

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220510-194854_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220510-194854_Firefox.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

SavXL

How did you get samsung to send you it? Like where did you contact them to ask for it?
I went here and sent them an inquiry specifically asking for the source code of the SM-X800 for developmental purposes and just wanting to know how it works (I can't develope for nothing, but I'm sure somebody would, and I genuinely would like to know how these awesome tablets work). I got pretty lucky with them responding so quickly. I sent them an email May 6 and they got back to me yesterday evening. I've heard the horror stories of people requesting source code and not getting responses for months or not ever, so I'm glad they got back to me in a few days and not just telling me "No".

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Jake.S

I went here and sent them an inquiry specifically asking for the source code of the SM-X800 for developmental purposes and just wanting to know how it works (I can't develope for nothing, but I'm sure somebody would, and I genuinely would like to know how these awesome tablets work). I got pretty lucky with them responding so quickly. I sent them an email May 6 and they got back to me yesterday evening. I've heard the horror stories of people requesting source code and not getting responses for months or not ever, so I'm glad they got back to me in a few days and not just telling me "No".
Interesting, didn't know samsung gave out open source. But I understand why they do, so developers can test and such i guess

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
  • Wow
Reactions: SavXL

SavXL

Interesting, @SavXL. I see now the site https://opensource.samsung.com/requestInquiry (or even https://opensource.samsung.com/) gives:

Coincidence? LOL. I'm mostly kidding.
I noticed that, lmfao. I was trying to see if maybe they've uploaded the source code for other Tab S8 devices, but then I saw that message pop up, and it's still there! I guess they must've started doing some server maintenance super shortly after sending me the source code. Considering myself even more lucky now all things considered! I'm going to set up a link to the source code so people will be able to develop off of it (and maybe we'll see our first post in the developement section) and I'll add it to my initial post.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Just checked those two links again and now they send me to the appropriate site. I'm not sure if any of the links on either of those two pages will give you that message again though.

SavXL

Is source code what's needed to say port Android 13 to the S8U?
I'd like to believe that's possible, yes. However, to port that to the S8U (or anyone other device, within reason) it'd need to be made to where it can be flashed via Odin or via TWRP if you don't happen to have access to a PC. However, to do the TWRP method, someone would have to make a working build of TWRP for the S8U (or other devices), which no one has done as of now. I could be wrong and someone could be making one behind the scenes, but I doubt that.

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
I'd like to believe that's possible, yes. However, to port that to the S8U (or anyone other device, within reason) it'd need to be made to where it can be flashed via Odin or via TWRP if you don't happen to have access to a PC. However, to do the TWRP method, someone would have to make a working build of TWRP for the S8U (or other devices), which no one has done as of now. I could be wrong and someone could be making one behind the scenes, but I doubt that.
this thread . . .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I put in an email to Samsung Open Source to see if I could have the source code of the Tab S8+ (I didn't think to ask for the source code of the other Tab S8 devices at the time, but I will gladly ask for the other ones if they're needed.) so that maybe some development could be made on it (I'm not sure if development is happening for it behind the scenes or not. All I know is that I haven't seen anyone post anything in the development section). I'm not the most technically inclined, so I have not nary a clue of how important having the source code for a device is for development in terms of ROMs, kernels, recoveries, etc, but I'd like to think it's pretty important. If having it is an important step in having development start happening for the Tab S8 line of devices, then I will gladly link it. I'm currently downloading it as I'm typing this out. So, if you'd like it or need it for development purposes (or any specific files from the kernel, platform, etc), let me know, and I'll provide it as soon as it finishes downloading. :)

Edit: Update! The source code just finished downloading!

Edit 2: Turns out they gave me the source code for the april firmware update. So, it's not the absolute most up to date source code, but it may as well be as it seems that there isn't any available source code for the may firmware update, yet.

Edit 3: Finished uploading the source code. If you need it for development purposes, then here you go! Hopefully something cool will eventually come out of it! The file is super compressed and is around 6GB total once everything is extracted.

Edit 4: Now the source code of all three Tab S8 devices is here and available to download. I really really hope some new and awesome software development can happen now that the source code is available for all three Tab S8s. Regardless, here they are. Have fun! :)

Tab S8 Source Code: https://mega.nz/file/2hNSSIwA#FrDXCDFjo4OgfqkFy-0334fjFblGmnw1mQJFjOO6aRI
    Tab S8+ Source Code: https://mega.nz/file/SgE3BBBD#RMvNMgd9V8bOZ6OLjYoz5jEo3UBBe8UDMOyq176jA7I
    Tab S8 Ultra Source Code: https://mega.nz/file/m5sgmAyZ#5OXCFX_O5oYVK-F3BwVVCboLXDNTbNGQRcd3cKfCq3E
    Update! Just uploaded the source code for the Tab S8 and S8U! I've updated the initial post with links to their respective source codes. Have fun with it! :)
    How did you get samsung to send you it? Like where did you contact them to ask for it?
    Interesting, didn't know samsung gave out open source. But I understand why they do, so developers can test and such i guess
    Interesting, @SavXL. I see now the site https://opensource.samsung.com/requestInquiry (or even https://opensource.samsung.com/) gives:

Coincidence? LOL. I'm mostly kidding.
    I noticed that, lmfao. I was trying to see if maybe they've uploaded the source code for other Tab S8 devices, but then I saw that message pop up, and it's still there! I guess they must've started doing some server maintenance super shortly after sending me the source code. Considering myself even more lucky now all things considered! I'm going to set up a link to the source code so people will be able to develop off of it (and maybe we'll see our first post in the developement section) and I'll add it to my initial post.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Just checked those two links again and now they send me to the appropriate site. I'm not sure if any of the links on either of those two pages will give you that message again though.