• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

The status of Android 3.1 Honeycomb on the Nook Color

Search This thread

deeper-blue

Nov 28, 2010
somewhere in good ol' Germany
Since many people asked what I was doing these days:

The Nook Color running a healthy mix of Android 3.1 Honeycomb from the Xoom and Android 3.1 from Google's SDK.
As can be seen towards the end the Launcher application suffers from some drawing issues. The same issues can be observed in Google's SDK 3.1 emulator. The emulator and the nook both are doing software UI rendering instead of the new in 3.0 hardware accelerated UI rendering. Sadly the PowerVR SGX530 drivers that are (publicly) available right now are lacking some features to activate the hardware UI rendering on the nook. (like support for EGL_SWAP_BEHAVIOUR = EGL_BUFFER_PRESERVED
and the GL_OES_EGL_image_external extension). I started patching around those issues, which is hard without the access to the Android source, and can confirm that the nook's hardware is more than capable of running 3.0/3.1 hardware accelerated even though the source might need some patches if we don't get updated drivers for the SGX530.

So the status right now is: software UI with redraw issues or hardware UI with a working home screen but tons of more issues in other applications.

Other than that sound, wifi and opengl works. (no DSP/video decoding so far)

So who's up for solving the redrawing issues?

Possible solutions are:
  • getting our hands on a newer SGX530 driver than 1.1.16.4061
  • unpacking, patching and repacking Launcher2
  • ?
  • waiting until Google releases the 3.1 AOSP source

-Rafael Brune

Last edited by a moderator:

Bawb3

Dec 1, 2010
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
It sucks but I feel our best bet is just to wait for source. There are a lot of honeycomb tablets slated for release over the next few months, I think once it becomes more widely available we'll see source.

Since we dont know when will be... all the time, effort, and trouble to get it fully working witout source - will be in vain once the source drop happens.

So unless the people involved don't care, cm7 is more than enough for now. We are lucky to even have that, my phone doesn't even have cm7 working for it.

My .2 anyways

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Geniusdog254

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
The problem is, Google has stated they won't be releasing Honeycomb source until it's integrated with the phone branch. I personally doubt that we see real source until Ice Cream is out.

grasstrout

Feb 18, 2011
honeycomb source will never be released, google said so, we'll get Ice Cream Sandwich source which will be awesome on our nook's i'm sure

luigi90210

Jul 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
ok all of you guys are real downers when you pretty much say "give up, source is the only way" now i know thats not what your literally saying but thats what im getting from your posts

@deeper-blue
good job dude, i would love to see a beta for this if its as stable as honeycomb v4(knowing your work it will be) a side from a few graphical errors(im assuming the same ones from the first SDK port) i think it can and probably will be a daily driver for most people here

cyburke

Nov 7, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ_k4kdsaMk

Possible solutions are:
  • ?

-Rafael Brune

hey THANKS for posting up what you've done and this very cool video... that was just awesome to see how far someone has gotten to get 3.1 running WELL on the nook.

mad props.

dr_tracker

Jul 19, 2007
Santo Domingo
+1 !

Keep up with the excelent work !!! :)

ok all of you guys are real downers when you pretty much say "give up, source is the only way" now i know thats not what your literally saying but thats what im getting from your posts

@deeper-blue
good job dude, i would love to see a beta for this if its as stable as honeycomb v4(knowing your work it will be) a side from a few graphical errors(im assuming the same ones from the first SDK port) i think it can and probably will be a daily driver for most people here

Completely agree, there are a couple of interesting apps in the market that take advantage of HC and would be great in the Nook.

If you ask me waiting for AOSP don't look as such a good idea, since it's release is not so sure.

Reactions: syraz

zeno07706

May 26, 2009
Warwickshire
Great work DB, really excited to see the progress on this. I'm just wondering - would it be feasible to run this with ADW or similar as a holdover until the Launcher2 rendering issues are resolved?

RileyGrant

Jan 17, 2011
Seattle
Sounds like patching the launcher will be the easiest route. This is why I love you DB ahhaha, your work is amazing.

demonofsteel

Feb 19, 2009
Hi deeper-blue,

If you want, I can offer you my help. I would be able to try to patch launcher2. I've been able to work out a few stuff in launcher2 when I was doing test builds of HC 3.0 and 3.1.

I'm trying to look if I can find some drivers for the PowerVR SGX530, but I unfortunately can't help by making 3.1 available on AOSP.

Reactions: MrPib

screech

Nov 19, 2007
Is there a pointer to instructions on how to cook from SDK ? Have been looking around and have not found anything useful.

Wanted to take a crack at the graphics driver portion.

marlonbr

Jun 14, 2010
Very nice work deeper-blue.

Don't let the lazy people uninspire your work. If the Android and Open-source community in geral would wait for corporations solutions linux would never have been created. This is the open-source spirit, guys. If you come here to say that open-source hackers should wait, you're on the wrong place doing the wrong stuff.

Back to honeycomb, even before this 3.1 news I was noticing that one of the main limitations we have on honeycomb is the laucher. I suggest that while we can't hack it (but we will keep trying), we use honeycomb with another launcher just for the sake of using the great tablet oriented apps we can't have on cm7.

About the source code, for me Google made clear that they weren't releasing it for a while. So, I think this is more motivation to make a honeycomb daily driver.

Keep up the great work, Good luck everyone and all hail to this awesome community.

--
Marlon Moura

rybo80

Oct 17, 2010
Unfortunately I lack the technical expertise to help keep this moving forward; however, I think an earlier poster was dead in his argument that waiting for source code is defeatist mentality for the open source "hacking" gurus out there.

I imagine that Deeper-blue could turn this into a truly polished machine....if he had the time to devote endless amounts of hours to this, but who does and that's why he's seeking assistance from other willing and capable hands.

If anything I hope others who are capable find some inspiration in the challenge and ultimately crack this one into something special.

Thanks in advance to Deeper - blue and other who continue to provide users with a cost effective tablet experience. :)

-Rt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The Nook Color running a healthy mix of Android 3.1 Honeycomb from the Xoom and Android 3.1 from Google's SDK.
    As can be seen towards the end the Launcher application suffers from some drawing issues. The same issues can be observed in Google's SDK 3.1 emulator. The emulator and the nook both are doing software UI rendering instead of the new in 3.0 hardware accelerated UI rendering. Sadly the PowerVR SGX530 drivers that are (publicly) available right now are lacking some features to activate the hardware UI rendering on the nook. (like support for EGL_SWAP_BEHAVIOUR = EGL_BUFFER_PRESERVED
    and the GL_OES_EGL_image_external extension). I started patching around those issues, which is hard without the access to the Android source, and can confirm that the nook's hardware is more than capable of running 3.0/3.1 hardware accelerated even though the source might need some patches if we don't get updated drivers for the SGX530.

So the status right now is: software UI with redraw issues or hardware UI with a working home screen but tons of more issues in other applications.

Other than that sound, wifi and opengl works. (no DSP/video decoding so far)

Possible solutions are:
    • ?

-Rafael Brune
    Not really. I don't mean to sound too frustrated, but it is almost irrelevant that 3.2 adds 7" support, since that has not been a problem (the big thing that i understand that it might fix, is the system being forced to have the tiny 120DPI).

A system dump from a non Omap 3 device will do us almost no good at all; certainly not much better (and in some cases worse) than the SDK builds we can already get. The compiled OS'es are compiled for specific hardware; if it is different than ours (Tegra 2...), we cannot use it.

Actually I would like to have a system dump of the xoom 3.2 - so if someone can hand me one that would be great, otherwise I'll try to manually patch the 3.1 dump I have to 3.2 with the official update file.

Also what I actually did for 3.0 and 3.1 is mixed up the xoom dump, the sdk image and hardware drivers from the original nook images and cyanogen mod 7 into one tasty blend. The only thing really hard to get running with using the xoom dumps is hardware video decoding since that is really deeply compiled into the android binaries and tries to use the tegra hardware, patching that into using the omap hardware and drivers is not an easy task. (not that any of the other things are easy to do but this is a few steps more intense).
    Thanks, Mr. deeper-blue. With the recent CM7 (nightly 86) debacle on SGX/DSP/HW Overlay front, the only serious hope remains with your Android 3.1 port for NC (though I'm afraid it will have better chances with kernels 2.6.36 and newer). Anyway, yours is a noble and daring effort, I will follow it religiously in my blog.

lol, here we go again....The SGX, DSP, and HW overlay work fine in CM7. There is no debacle except for the one inside your head.

If you don't like CM7/Gingerbread that's fine. Please don't use it. Surely you can understand my frustration to have someone constantly spread FUD about the work that myself and others have done. What aludal wants is hardware flash acceleration and hardware accelerated skia. This isn't going to happen on Gingerbread and it is not a reflection of how well our SGX, DSP, and HW overlay are working.
    +1 !

Keep up with the excelent work !!! :)

@deeper-blue

Completely agree, there are a couple of interesting apps in the market that take advantage of HC and would be great in the Nook.

If you ask me waiting for AOSP don't look as such a good idea, since it's release is not so sure.
    @Modded Darts :

We landed on the moon? No way!

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda premium