The status of Android 3.1 Honeycomb on the Nook Color

Search This thread

chisleu

Mar 7, 2011
Myrtle Beach SC
Not sure I understand your logic. Its a tablet, not a piece of paper. If we wanted something to write on we'd all have saved hundreds of dollars and bought a five star notebook and some BICs.

Sent from my Droid using XDA Premium App

My logic is JUST that. You sound like someone saying "I don't understand your logic. It's a phone not a PDA."

I (and many many others) do want something to write on. For class, for note taking, etc. I want to be able to use a capacitive stylus like a real pencil and just write. It's not here yet and that's ok, but it's coming...

I feel 7" tablets are good for something. 10" tablets can be good for other things (laptop replacements in some cases)

I think the next tablet I get will probably be a 7" android 3.x tablet. Then a 12-14" windows 8 tablet.

binglejellsx2

Dec 29, 2009
Google have to manage a smooth transition of their development priorities, projects, and staff from one platform to another. Honeycomb likely was necessary due to h/w manufacturers coming out with a larger form factor, which was too big for the existing platform to exploit, and too immature to be seen as an investment priority to compete against Apple. So some development resources would have been channeled to come out with an intermediary, exploratory newer (Honeycomb) platform that exploits the increased real estate space and larger form factor (not a phone, not a portrait device, not a very portable device, etc.).

Honeycomb would have been a stop-gap compromise measure, and based on it's success in supporting the new devices out there and the development architecture progress for a new form factor, Google will have then pushed more resources towards this new platform. Thus, the next version of Android will reflect this increased focus, architectural consistency, and strategic focus.

I wholly agree with this sentiment.

Yunkmaster

May 26, 2010
Cortex A8 Drivers

Hi People,
i heared lenovo is launching a new cheap tablet in the middle of this month.
It's called IdeaPad A1. It contains a Cortex A8 3622, PowerVR SGX530 and is Running wirh android 2.3.
Is it possible to get newer drivers out of this source?

Yunky

Last edited:

patruns

May 30, 2011
Hi People,
i heared lenovo is launching a new cheap tablet in the middle of this month.
It's called IdeaPad A1. It contains a Cortex A8 3622, PowerVR SGX530 and is Running wirh android 2.3.
Is it possible to get newer drivers out of this source?

Yunky

What for? Android 2.3 is Gingerbread.......

Yunkmaster

May 26, 2010
If there is a newer gpu driver, couldn't we get hardwareacceleration?!
I thought a newer driver could help deeperblue or someone else to fix the uibug.

Sorry my English is bad!

Yunky

Yunkmaster

May 26, 2010
I never thought Android 3.2. I really thought Android 2.3.
My hope was that Lenovo used newer gpu drivers in their build which we could use to fix the uibug.
I thought a newer driver could fix that.
But if an newer driver won't help i am wrong. Sry guys!

DeeperBlue:
"The emulator and the nook both are doing software UI rendering instead of the new in 3.0 hardware accelerated UI rendering. Sadly the PowerVR SGX530 drivers that are (publicly) available right now are lacking some features to activate the hardware UI rendering on the nook. (like support for EGL_SWAP_BEHAVIOUR = EGL_BUFFER_PRESERVED
and the GL_OES_EGL_image_external extension). I started patching around those issues, which is hard without the access to the Android source, and can confirm that the nook's hardware is more than capable of running 3.0/3.1 hardware accelerated even though the source might need some patches if we don't get updated drivers for the SGX530."

Yunky

Last edited:
Reactions: Modded Darts

luigi90210

Jul 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Really? HOLY FREAK YOUR THE FIRST PERSON TO NOTICE!!!
not
You really think that people don't know by the many threads on ics? Come on. Look around.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

no need to flame buddy

ON TOPIC: well since we have an sdk port of honeycomb im hoping we can see a fully working version of honeycomb on the nook since source was released, this way we can choose between honeycomb and ICS

Jainyankee1993

Nov 16, 2011
Edison
Really? HOLY FREAK YOUR THE FIRST PERSON TO NOTICE!!!
not
You really think that people don't know by the many threads on ics? Come on. Look around.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Chill with the sarcasm bro...and yeah why are you so mad? Lol... But anyway..I don't think the devs will release honeycomb mostly because ics has got most functions of honeycomb, and they'll see it as a waste of time

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
koopakid08, aom336 - Such rudeness is completely uncalled for. Yes, many people know that the source code is out.. but you dont need to be rude about it.. Just correct and move on..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since many people asked what I was doing these days:

The Nook Color running a healthy mix of Android 3.1 Honeycomb from the Xoom and Android 3.1 from Google's SDK.
    As can be seen towards the end the Launcher application suffers from some drawing issues. The same issues can be observed in Google's SDK 3.1 emulator. The emulator and the nook both are doing software UI rendering instead of the new in 3.0 hardware accelerated UI rendering. Sadly the PowerVR SGX530 drivers that are (publicly) available right now are lacking some features to activate the hardware UI rendering on the nook. (like support for EGL_SWAP_BEHAVIOUR = EGL_BUFFER_PRESERVED
    and the GL_OES_EGL_image_external extension). I started patching around those issues, which is hard without the access to the Android source, and can confirm that the nook's hardware is more than capable of running 3.0/3.1 hardware accelerated even though the source might need some patches if we don't get updated drivers for the SGX530.

So the status right now is: software UI with redraw issues or hardware UI with a working home screen but tons of more issues in other applications.

Other than that sound, wifi and opengl works. (no DSP/video decoding so far)

So who's up for solving the redrawing issues?

Possible solutions are:
    • getting our hands on a newer SGX530 driver than 1.1.16.4061
    • unpacking, patching and repacking Launcher2
    • ?
    • waiting until Google releases the 3.1 AOSP source

-Rafael Brune
    Not really. I don't mean to sound too frustrated, but it is almost irrelevant that 3.2 adds 7" support, since that has not been a problem (the big thing that i understand that it might fix, is the system being forced to have the tiny 120DPI).

A system dump from a non Omap 3 device will do us almost no good at all; certainly not much better (and in some cases worse) than the SDK builds we can already get. The compiled OS'es are compiled for specific hardware; if it is different than ours (Tegra 2...), we cannot use it.

Actually I would like to have a system dump of the xoom 3.2 - so if someone can hand me one that would be great, otherwise I'll try to manually patch the 3.1 dump I have to 3.2 with the official update file.

Also what I actually did for 3.0 and 3.1 is mixed up the xoom dump, the sdk image and hardware drivers from the original nook images and cyanogen mod 7 into one tasty blend. The only thing really hard to get running with using the xoom dumps is hardware video decoding since that is really deeply compiled into the android binaries and tries to use the tegra hardware, patching that into using the omap hardware and drivers is not an easy task. (not that any of the other things are easy to do but this is a few steps more intense).
    Thanks, Mr. deeper-blue. With the recent CM7 (nightly 86) debacle on SGX/DSP/HW Overlay front, the only serious hope remains with your Android 3.1 port for NC (though I'm afraid it will have better chances with kernels 2.6.36 and newer). Anyway, yours is a noble and daring effort, I will follow it religiously in my blog.

lol, here we go again....The SGX, DSP, and HW overlay work fine in CM7. There is no debacle except for the one inside your head.

If you don't like CM7/Gingerbread that's fine. Please don't use it. Surely you can understand my frustration to have someone constantly spread FUD about the work that myself and others have done. What aludal wants is hardware flash acceleration and hardware accelerated skia. This isn't going to happen on Gingerbread and it is not a reflection of how well our SGX, DSP, and HW overlay are working.
    +1 !

Keep up with the excelent work !!! :)

ok all of you guys are real downers when you pretty much say "give up, source is the only way" now i know thats not what your literally saying but thats what im getting from your posts

@deeper-blue
    good job dude, i would love to see a beta for this if its as stable as honeycomb v4(knowing your work it will be) a side from a few graphical errors(im assuming the same ones from the first SDK port) i think it can and probably will be a daily driver for most people here

Completely agree, there are a couple of interesting apps in the market that take advantage of HC and would be great in the Nook.

If you ask me waiting for AOSP don't look as such a good idea, since it's release is not so sure.
    @Modded Darts :

We landed on the moon? No way!

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda premium