The T-Mobile USA Xperia Z C6606 Bootloader is locked

Search This thread

dnaL0R

Oct 11, 2009
no luck...

the phone auto reboots so quickly when i change the root permissions via file explorer apps that i cannot replace the necessary file...

i returned the Z yesterday and i am currently on my backup phone [LG L9]... i have already tried out the htc one and gs4, so i will be waiting for the honami.

bane126

Sep 20, 2006
Chicago
www.azjr.com
no luck...

the phone auto reboots so quickly when i change the root permissions via file explorer apps that i cannot replace the necessary file...

i returned the Z yesterday and i am currently on my backup phone [LG L9]... i have already tried out the htc one and gs4, so i will be waiting for the honami.

Wow, that sucks. This has me worried. My phone gets here Monday and I am crossing my fingers it works out the box.

dnaL0R

Oct 11, 2009
Wow, that sucks. This has me worried. My phone gets here Monday and I am crossing my fingers it works out the box.

what works? the problem is not limited to the specific device i got... many other users are experiencing the same issues [wifi/random reboots]...

my wifi antenna/signal was good when i first got the phone, but after a couple days i lost the ability to connect to any and all wireless newtorks, including cellular [voice/data]... i had to hard reset my phone via pc with sony's pc companion to get the antennas to work again... yes, an unusual problem, but i didn't want to keep messing with it, so i said no thanks.

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
no luck...

You probably didn't install the remount-reboot fix after rooting. Without this fix, the RIC service reboots your phone when you remount your /system partition as R/W.

This issue is also mentioned in DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit post:

If you are facing issue of device rebooting when remounting /system partition then checkout the fix posted by @[NUT]

Reactions: peoplegetpeople

Spectre51

It will have a multiband LTE radio. Go and check the Xperia Z Ultra radio - a lot of bands are supported including 700 and 1700 etc. I am pretty sure that Honami will have the same radio.

It means that the need for a rubbish device (I.e. carrier branded) will be gone. I am planning on enter the LTE with either Honami or Z Ultra. I have avoided LTE as long as the branding requirement has been there.

Doesn't mean they won't leave out or disable a LTE band if a certain carrier picks it up to make it not work completely on their competitor...kinda like the Xperia Z and how its missing the one band to make it 100% compatible with AT&T

E90 Commie

Feb 5, 2009
New York
Doesn't mean they won't leave out or disable a LTE band if a certain carrier picks it up to make it not work completely on their competitor...kinda like the Xperia Z and how its missing the one band to make it 100% compatible with AT&T

Don't buy phones from carriers.

I don't get people in the US. They are sitting on their backs just to be fed by the carriers. It is like a device doesn't exist if a carrier doesn't pick it up etc. I buy whatever I want, no carrier should do ANYTHING to my device. I just don't accept carrier interference. It is just unhealthy business to have a carrier that filters 99% of the devices out and then brands and bloat the rest. It leads to inferior products, lack of standardization and high prices. Compre the US market with proper working markets - even small countries like Denmark and Sweden offer a superior selection of handsets compared to the US. And they get them quicker too. Even countries like India and Malaysia is far more developed when it comes to mobile devices, selection, prices etc. Just check My Mobile and Mobile World Magazine.

The Honami will get the same LTE radio as the Z Ultra, I am 99% sure and it means that the unlocked version will have LTE in many countries. From the bands, I can see that both Europe and the US will work on it.

If a US carrier starts to disable LTE bands in order to make the device incompatible: don't buy it. Use your consumer power and buy the unlocked version.

And don't pull the "can't afford unlocked" argument either. People can't pay $500 or $600 for a device and $30-45 per month but they can pay $99-299 for a device and $100 per month.... Very logical.... I rather pay $600 for my device and save on cheaper service. It saves me around $1000 in the long run.

Spectre51

Only problem with that then is you won't have a US warranty if you have to buy the unlocked version elsewhere. Its not as simple in the US because of the stupid carriers and their restrictions. If the honami comes to let's say T-Mobile and they disable one of the bands such as 1700 so it doesn't get full LTE on att everywhere then there won't be a version in the US that has that band. Yeah you could get it from another source but you wouldn't have the US warranty.

Just saying we won't know what will be available until Sony announces it because of the potential for a carrier to interfere.

The C6606 could have worked with att as well but because T-Mobile signed an exclusive deal they left out the network bands to support att. I hope the same doesn't happen to the honami.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z

Last edited:

E90 Commie

Feb 5, 2009
New York
Only problem with that then is you won't have a US warranty if you have to buy the unlocked version elsewhere. Its not as simple in the US because of the stupid carriers and their restrictions. If the honami comes to let's say T-Mobile and they disable one of the bands such as 1700 so it doesn't get full LTE on att everywhere then there won't be a version in the US that has that band. Yeah you could get it from another source but you wouldn't have the US warranty.

Just saying we won't know what will be available until Sony announces it because of the potential for a carrier to interfere.

The C6606 could have worked with att as well but because T-Mobile signed an exclusive deal they left out the network bands to support att. I hope the same doesn't happen to the honami.

I would prefer that Sony simply sell it through their own stores since they offer the unlocked Xperia Z there.

The warranty is a problem, that's right but if you buy from a serious retailer, they often offer to ship the phone to Europe for repairs at a service center there. Yes, it is an inconvenience but personally, I take it rather than getting a carrier edition.

I want an unlocked, unbranded device with working LTE on both sides of the Atlantic and it seems like Honami will be just that. Buying from a carrier isn't even remotely an option to me, I will get it from either AtGSM, Mobile City Online or Sony Store (Expansys is another option). Then there's Handtec too.

Crippled LTE bands? No way in my case.

I am simply tired of the US carriers and their device game.:)

Spectre51

I would prefer that Sony simply sell it through their own stores since they offer the unlocked Xperia Z there.

The warranty is a problem, that's right but if you buy from a serious retailer, they often offer to ship the phone to Europe for repairs at a service center there. Yes, it is an inconvenience but personally, I take it rather than getting a carrier edition.

I want an unlocked, unbranded device with working LTE on both sides of the Atlantic and it seems like Honami will be just that. Buying from a carrier isn't even remotely an option to me, I will get it from either AtGSM, Mobile City Online or Sony Store (Expansys is another option). Then there's Handtec too.

Crippled LTE bands? No way in my case.

I am simply tired of the US carriers and their device game.:)

I totally agree. They sell the unlocked Z but non LTE because of T-Mobile. I actually hope they don't pick it up so we can get it from Sony unlocked with LTE and US warranty. Damn the carriers and their restrictions.

Here's to hoping we don't see any limitations to US sold devices.

E90 Commie

Feb 5, 2009
New York
I totally agree. They sell the unlocked Z but non LTE because of T-Mobile. I actually hope they don't pick it up so we can get it from Sony unlocked with LTE and US warranty. Damn the carriers and their restrictions.

Here's to hoping we don't see any limitations to US sold devices.

Sony should learn to avoid the carriers and only sell through the Sony Store. To me, warranty has no meaning at all since I want a decent device first and I am already used to the concept of importing. There's just not a single device available in the US (beside Sony devices sold through them) that I want. All devices I am interested in (Xperia Z Ultra, Honami, Lenovo K900, Huawei Ascend Mate, Oppo etc) isn't available other than as import. I am harsh but I regard the devices sold through US carriers as a piece of junk. All of them are just junk, branded, crippled, restricted, bloated.

To me, buying a device from a US carrier is like supporting a sick case. It is important to use consumer power and vote with the wallet: just don't buy crippled devices. As long as people buy those inferior products and accept what the carriers are doing (by buying their devices and plans) - they are going to screw the consumers as usual.

Since I am unable to get what I want (neither devices or accessories), I just don't care about warranty (because if I did, I wouldn't buy any device) since there's not a single interesting and attractive device available here that has warranty (beside the Sony).

I am set on importing either the Honami or Z Ultra since I don't think they will be released here in a timely manner. UK will get Ultra in September it seems, IF Sony decides to sell it here, I guess it will be available in December or so at the earliest point judging by the Xperia Z.

The US carriers are also a reason why I regard LTE as a good technology with disastrous implementation that makes it inferior: you shouldn't be forced to get a branded device just in order to use a network standard that is global.

Spectre51

Sony should learn to avoid the carriers and only sell through the Sony Store. To me, warranty has no meaning at all since I want a decent device first and I am already used to the concept of importing. There's just not a single device available in the US (beside Sony devices sold through them) that I want. All devices I am interested in (Xperia Z Ultra, Honami, Lenovo K900, Huawei Ascend Mate, Oppo etc) isn't available other than as import. I am harsh but I regard the devices sold through US carriers as a piece of junk. All of them are just junk, branded, crippled, restricted, bloated.

To me, buying a device from a US carrier is like supporting a sick case. It is important to use consumer power and vote with the wallet: just don't buy crippled devices. As long as people buy those inferior products and accept what the carriers are doing (by buying their devices and plans) - they are going to screw the consumers as usual.

Since I am unable to get what I want (neither devices or accessories), I just don't care about warranty (because if I did, I wouldn't buy any device) since there's not a single interesting and attractive device available here that has warranty (beside the Sony).

I am set on importing either the Honami or Z Ultra since I don't think they will be released here in a timely manner. UK will get Ultra in September it seems, IF Sony decides to sell it here, I guess it will be available in December or so at the earliest point judging by the Xperia Z.

The US carriers are also a reason why I regard LTE as a good technology with disastrous implementation that makes it inferior: you shouldn't be forced to get a branded device just in order to use a network standard that is global.

Totally agree but the issue is the majority of consumers in the US don't understand and just see a phone for $200 instead of $600+. Most consumers don't care about branded apps and locked bootloaders.

E90 Commie

Feb 5, 2009
New York
What's the differance between C6606 and C6603 ? I mean, is there a difference in hardware or software or is it just T-mobile differance ?

The difference as far as I know is T-Mobile branding and bloatware together with a slightly altered radio with T-Mobile LTE bands (other bands seems to be disabled).

Beside the radio, it has the same hardware as the C6602 and C6603 - the only catch is that the bootloader is locked. Stock ROMs for the C6602 and 6603 can be flashed to it, though so partial unbranding is easy.

For use in the US, the C6602 is the best option since it offers pentaband and works on both AT&T and T-Mobile, giving the flexibility of choosing between many different plans. I don't see any reason to buy the T-Mobile C6606.

For those who want LTE: wait for the Honami.

Reactions: cimbomege

ngvuanh

Jan 1, 2013
at&t uses band 4 and 17 while t-mobile uses only band 4 for LTE.
I am not an expert in this field, so I don't know whether t-mobile version can use LTE at&t without band 17.
or it depends on coverage areas.

sweets55

May 25, 2009
So will the Bootloader get unlocked at some point? I'm coming from a Sprint S4 and flashed Roms all the time. I don't really want to flash a Rom yet but will at some point. Rooting and flashing Roms seems complicated with the Sony Z compared to the S4.

E90 Commie

Feb 5, 2009
New York
So will the Bootloader get unlocked at some point? I'm coming from a Sprint S4 and flashed Roms all the time. I don't really want to flash a Rom yet but will at some point. Rooting and flashing Roms seems complicated with the Sony Z compared to the S4.

I don't think it will be unlocked since it is done through Sony. I don't know any carrier branded Sony with BL lock that has been cracked open yet.

The T-Mobile version is simply a bad choice for those that want to experience the Xperia Z in the best way, including the ROMs.

Rooting and flashing is easy on the C6602 (unlocked). The Sony BL unlock service is straight forward too, I unlocked it in a few minutes.

Reactions: sweets55

sweets55

May 25, 2009
I don't think it will be unlocked since it is done through Sony. I don't know any carrier branded Sony with BL lock that has been cracked open yet.

The T-Mobile version is simply a bad choice for those that want to experience the Xperia Z in the best way, including the ROMs.

Rooting and flashing is easy on the C6602 (unlocked). The Sony BL unlock service is straight forward too, I unlocked it in a few minutes.
Damn that sucks I just was a little tired of the Sammy rehashes so I tried the Sony. Thanks for the quick reply. I think I have a week to decide. Not sure I can go 6 months with it. lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is a carrier here in Spain that sells unlockable Xperias. It's the fourth mayor carrier so is not a shady one.

sim locked and locked bootloader are two separate things. >.>

usually when some stores states "selling unlocked xperia/galaxy/iphone/ etc.." it means the phone is unlocked and it can be used anywhere else. When you purchase a phone from a store (Sony store) or carrier (At&T) it is locked to them. In other words, the phone cannot be used with another sim card like T-Mobile, since the phone is locked to At&t.
    Well, I went to check out the T-Mobile branded Xperia Z C6606 at the Sony Style store and was disappointed to see that the bootloader is locked.

I was trying to get information online if it was locked or not but couldn'tget any confirmation. I know that it'sprobably locked by T-mobile, but I was hoping.

Sent from my C6602 using xda premium
    I've read that some custom ROMs can still be flashed on this phone without unlocking the bootloader. Is this true?

Yes, if they are based on the stock kernel.
    E90 Commie, thanks for the reply. You brought up some valid points and dammit, now I have to really think about what I am going to do since I was planning on leaving Sprint today to get on TMo. If you don't mind I have another question, by flashing one of the original Sony ROMs will it disable the LTE on the TMo edition? Not that LTE is a deal breaker but just curious about it.

I have the t-mobile version and I flashed a c6603 stock Rom and I still get LTE I didn't flash the baseband I kept it the stock tmobile one

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    no luck...

You probably didn't install the remount-reboot fix after rooting. Without this fix, the RIC service reboots your phone when you remount your /system partition as R/W.

This issue is also mentioned in DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit post:

If you are facing issue of device rebooting when remounting /system partition then checkout the fix posted by @[NUT]