The Ulimate Note 5 Band Guide

Search This thread

djdurance

May 31, 2005
Greetings!

I see that there are many different threads asking about what bands are on each model. I have made a basic spreadsheet that has the various bands by model type. I have noted the resource that I have used for this. I'm still missing the SM920c model. If there are any mistakes or additional items please let me know and I will adjust accordingly.

http://1drv.ms/1L0LImY

I hope this is helpful for those importing and ordering for their specific needs.

djdurance

May 31, 2005
You are welcome! If someone has the SM-920C model and send me a picture from the back of the box this would be helpful!

Alta1r

Already checked that and it looks promising. Though not sure if all those bands are supported...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-04-13-53-17.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-04-13-53-17.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 5,431

Mensachicken

Sep 3, 2015
I hope this is helpful for those importing and ordering for their specific needs.

Hi, thank you for your efforts on this.

Unfortunately, I'm not a tech person at all and don't really understand how to determine an answer to my question. I'm wondering if you can answer this for me:

I have a Note 5 that's the n920w8 model. It works with my Canadian carrier, Wind, which is AWS 1700/2100 to which they say, "20 megahertz AWS-1" (whatever that means). But they don't offer LTE yet (though they're working on it).

However, it's only 32gb. I've been looking to importing an international version that's unlocked and has dual sim. Its model number is N9208. However, I can't find a definite answer online of whether the imported version will work with my provider and I can't afford that $1000 gamble.

If I'm reading your chart correctly, the difference between the two is that the W model has 1700 and 2100 but the 920 only has the 2100. You've noted on the right that Wind uses that 1700. Since you didn't note on it, is the 2100 in your chart also Wind?

In short, should I import this phone?

Thank you very much.

Mozart360

Jan 25, 2013
Thanks for your work on that :)
No GN5 is compatible with 2600mhz 4G?

Best choice to import in France is choosing a N9208 ?

Yuongn

Nov 9, 2011
Can someone please confirm... According to this spreadsheet. The hongkong version N9200 and the N9208 will get LTE on the Canadian Rogers network?

Last edited:

Kamran9558

Dec 30, 2008
Has anyone got the N9200 (dual sim) in the UK? I have seen it being advertised as supporting bands 20/26 for LTE.

Mensachicken

Sep 3, 2015
@aez and @Deliximus, can I ask where you guys got your phones? And are either of you able to confirm they work on Wind? Is there a Wind shop near you you could pop into and check by having the drop a sim in? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

djdurance

May 31, 2005
Hmmm. I'm a bit confused as my T-Mobile Note has many more bands than what is on the website... See attachment. I wondering if the *#2263# is actually accurate?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-10-06-06-31.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-10-06-06-31.png
    136 KB · Views: 1,124

Alta1r

Hmmm. I'm a bit confused as my T-Mobile Note has many more bands than what is on the website... See attachment. I wondering if the *#2263# is actually accurate?

I have the exact same bands on my N920C. I don't think those are all the supported ones, beacuse I believe the N920I has exactly the same displayed, but band 20 isn't working on that model...

outlaw815

Oct 9, 2012
will a sprint note 5 work on ATT. I entered the serial number in on att website and it said it would work? would I still get lte

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings!

I see that there are many different threads asking about what bands are on each model. I have made a basic spreadsheet that has the various bands by model type. I have noted the resource that I have used for this. I'm still missing the SM920c model. If there are any mistakes or additional items please let me know and I will adjust accordingly.

http://1drv.ms/1L0LImY

Guys please me help me out here. Im trying to purchase the Silver colored note 5. But I'm confused which model variant to get for the LTE to working perfect. Any help would be much appreciated. To my understanding the N920i is the only one to get for the U.S for LTE to work perfectly, but unfortunately it doesn't come in Sliver color.
    Thanks
    You can start by using www.willmyphonework.net, find your model there then see if it'll work with the LTE bands in your network.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
    And band 3 as well.
    I am using n9208 on Rogers with lte

Sent from my SM-N9208 using XDA Free mobile app
    You can determine which bands a particular device supports, find out if a given device is compatible with a specific network and country, and compare bands between devices. The site is FrequencyCheck.com.
    I would challenge you to validate what you get from FrequencyCheck.com. FrequencyCheck.com looks professional, well referenced, and well positioned in web searches, so I depended on it to come up with a compatible list of phones for the county I plan to visit and live in. FrequencyCheck didn't jibe with what blog and forum users were saying and lesser-known compatibility checking tools on the web, but I assumed FrequencyCheck was the definitive source, and the others not so trustworthy. At great length, I noticed blogs, forum users, and another tool seem to be consistently agreeing with each other, and Frequencycheck showing different results. I did a quick cross-check of the specs published on phone manufacturers' sites. I don't remember Frequencycheck agreeing with the manufactures specs exactly on any of the phones that initially made my list. When I did the same for what carriers published as the bands they used, it was the same story. You might be surprised what one mistake on the phone specs, combined with one error on the wireless carrier bands, does to a "list to choose from". Unless it is a something like an iPhone, or a new international phone with every frequency known to man, the phones Frequencycheck showed as compatible with the wireless providers, were not. Some of the phones that Frequencycheck showed had serious limitations with the couhtry's carriers, and I passed on because of those limitations, turned out to not have any limitations at all. I'm quite surprised I even noticed the situation or that I even acted on it after I did, but I am sooo glad I discovered this BEFORE buying a phone, setting it all up, and then going there only to discover I have lousy voice and/or data, the screw around and lose all kinds of time, buying a phone from the closest vendor and paying too much for a phone I don't want, in order to get by, and then have to set that all up, while people in the states are wondering what is happening.

These are what I use now.
    1. Use this to find out the bands you need for a country. It will show you all the bands used by all of the carriers. https://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html
    2. Based on 1, use this to determine which phones will work with the bands required: https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3? This is a bit labor intensive. After you enter in all of the bands you want to support, it will list the models that support what you are after. You can add and remove some of the more minor bands from your search, and it will immediately show you the number found with your current combination so you can refine the number of choices you have. It shows pictures of the phone in the list and you can see if there is a model you like. However, you then must click on each one to determine the sub-models it applies to. For several of those returned, there will be no sub-models that would work for you. E.G. it might be for a foreign language or a phone the carriers of your native country does not support.
    3. Use this to check if a certain phone will work with the wireless carriers in a country and where the problems are with all carriers by simply selecting "All" for the carrier. https://willmyphonework.net/ This also serves as a validator of the information used in step 1 and 2. 1 shows you the frequencies you need. 2 shows you the phones that qualify using the bands from 1. 3 shows if one of the phones that 2 says is compatible, is. I haven't found any ambiguity yet. If there were, you would be showing a problem in 3 that 2 said was compatible, based on what you gave it from 1. 3 does model and carrier together and does not use the data from 1 or 2. 3 is also a very easy efficient way to determine if the phone is compatible with the carriers of the adjacent countries. You simply change the country name, select "All" again for the wireless providers, and you know in an instant. There is one phone on this site I had trouble with, the Note 8. It listed models I had never seen before. When I checked them out, they were for the Galaxy Note 8 Tablet, and they don't have the information on there for the Note 8 or Note 9 phones. Everything else has worked fine.
    4. Next is to define the wireless carrier/SIM you want. You can easily find the market share of the providers in a country and get a feel from people living there and travelers what works best overall. However, the next thing to check is for good coverage map of the places and routes you intend to travel, to see what the coverage is in those areas. It took me by surprise when I found that the number two carrier had much better coverage and much more modern coverage on the routes and areas I would be living in and traveling. Here again, I learned that a less popular coverage map was the most detailed and accurate. https://opensignal.com/networks Again, I checked it against other coverage maps. You click on the area of the map you want to see, then drag it slightly, and all of the detail shows up, such as dead spots along roads, the type of service, 2G, 3G, LTE, etc. I checked it where I knew from experience there were dead spots, and they showed.

When I saw "Frequencycheck", it struck a nerve. Maybe I'm really, really, unlucky, but with the batting average I just encountered, I didn't want anyone to go through what I just went through, and then perhaps buying a very sub-optimal phone from their short list like I almost did. A quick way to challenge your short list is to run it though both FrequencyCheck.com and WillMyPhoneWork.net. Where you find discrepancies, check them against what the phone manufacturers and wireless providers publish.

If you find better, please share it with the rest of us. Thanks!