The Unofficial Official Nokia 8 Bootloader Unlock Method

Search This thread

S5Guy

Oct 25, 2016
If you try to use the bootloader unlocker apk from Nokia and your Nokia 8 has an android version that's past a certain version, the apk will flat out fail with a "Device not support." error message. And chances are, your Nokia 8 will be at an incompatible android version. So to unlock the bootloader, you will need to downgrade your phone to a legitimate version of android 8.1.0 so the apk will not error out and get you a verification code. This guide will show you how. NOTE THAT THIS METHOD WILL ERASE ALL INTERNAL DATA ON YOUR PHONE.

-

This update zip is what you need for the TA-1004: https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../f9cb380bd9c2bf1b6ddebcab9dcf389843eb2d39.zip

It may be different for the TA-1012, but according to that earlier post, it does not seem to be the case. Nevertheless, just to be safe, here's the zip for the TA-1012: https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../139c94fd08f52fbd3b852ab4ef5c6515fffb784e.zip (I don't have a TA-1012 so I wasn't able to test this particular zip.)

So basically, to make sure there's no problems, make sure in the Developer's options on the phone that OEM unlocking is enabled, then put your SD card into the phone. Plug the phone into your computer. Copy the update zip that you need somewhere onto the SD card. Disconnect the USB cable. Shut down the phone. Then, while holding down the Volume Up button, reconnect the USB cable. You should see a sad android with "No command" displayed. Now release the Volume Up button. Then hold down the power button and then JUST PRESS once on the Volume Up button. You should be at a recovery menu. Using the volume keys, scroll down to the 'Apply update on SD card' option and select it. Select the zip that you copied over to the SD card earlier and then let it install for a while. It will probably pop up with a 'timestamp too old' error, but just ignore this. The update will install anyway. Then once it's done, do a factory reset on the phone and then shut down. MAKE SURE THERE'S NO SIM CARD IN THE PHONE.

Now that's out of the way, boot the phone up again and just click through the first-time setup screens but DO NOT ENABLE WI-FI or any kind of internet connection. We don't want the phone to update itself back to Android 9. Now plug the phone in again. Copy the bootloaderunlocker apk from Nokia's website onto the phone. Install it. Put in the email address you want the unlock key emailed to. Then voila! You'll get the verification code. Put it into the form on Nokia's website and you'll be emailed an unlock.key file. From there, the site will tell you how to proceed.

A HUGE thanks to: THMSP and frankoid

They did all the work. <3

Last edited:

S5Guy

Oct 25, 2016
why another topic ?!

Because I don't expect people to dig around in all the Nokia 8 Guide threads to find the exact and, to my knowledge, only way to unlock the bootloader. Furthermore, I found this solution in a sort of unrelated thread, which would make the solution even harder to find for the average user.

Reactions: TonyUkukk

foxbatul

Aug 28, 2007
Because I don't expect people to dig around in all the Nokia 8 Guide threads to find the exact and, to my knowledge, only way to unlock the bootloader. Furthermore, I found this solution in a sort of unrelated thread, which would make the solution even harder to find for the average user.

I understant but not.
Here it's not the place for lazy ones. Or for apple boys.
Unlock, modding, ROMs are for people with other approach. So this kind of topics make more noise instead to help.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW - thank you posting "downgrade to oreo" procedure.
it s the offline one ( my choice was to use "register to beta" and" unregister").
no need SD card or something, just a good wifi connection and patience.

MDV106

Jan 4, 2019
Thanks for this. I just noticed that the "OEM unlocking" is disabled and greyed out on my TA-1012 device. Will it still work?

Reactions: TonyUkukk

-tyrean-

Feb 12, 2019
Ok solved this one, had to Update to P remove the Google Account linked to the Device and downgrade again.
It's Part of the Factory Reset Protection that you cant skip the Wifi and Update Screens.

ma401

Jun 8, 2006
Thank you for posting this guide, it got me to unlocking the bootloader on my TA-1004 after I received the described "Device not support" error.

I enabled "OEM unlocking" before downgrading my firmware and the option was grayed out for me afterwards. However the bootloader unlock still worked correctly other than being forced to us a Mac as none of my windows machines would show the device in fastboot mode.

Last edited:

MDV106

Jan 4, 2019
Thank you for posting this guide, it got me to unlocking the bootloader on my TA-1004 after I received the described "Device not support" error.

I enabled "OEM unlocking" before downgrading my firmware and the option was grayed out for me afterwards. However the bootloader unlock still worked correctly other than being forced to us a Mac as none of my windows machines would show the device in fastboot mode.
If only Nokia 8 had support for custom roms. Im stuck on the december security patch of Pie because it has a prerooted boot img posted somewhere on this forum. Ot would be fun to play around with a google-free custom rom like lineageOS. But sadly devs dont seem to give a damn about the phone :(

ma401

Jun 8, 2006
If only Nokia 8 had support for custom roms. Im stuck on the december security patch of Pie because it has a prerooted boot img posted somewhere on this forum. Ot would be fun to play around with a google-free custom rom like lineageOS. But sadly devs dont seem to give a damn about the phone :(

I think we can thank HMD for that by making unlocking the bootloader so difficult. I only ended up buying the Nokia 8 because I got it for such a good deal ($220 CAD) and needed a temporary phone to tide me over until I can get something better. I feel sorry for anyone who paid full price for this phone and I don't blame developers for moving to something more accessible.

shivaji namburu

Mar 16, 2017
If you try to use the bootloader unlocker apk from Nokia and your Nokia 8 has an android version that's past a certain version, the apk will flat out fail with a "Device not support." error message. And chances are, your Nokia 8 will be at an incompatible android version. So to unlock the bootloader, you will need to downgrade your phone to a legitimate version of android 8.1.0 so the apk will not error out and get you a verification code. This guide will show you how. NOTE THAT THIS METHOD WILL ERASE ALL INTERNAL DATA ON YOUR PHONE.

-

This update zip is what you need for the TA-1004: https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../f9cb380bd9c2bf1b6ddebcab9dcf389843eb2d39.zip

It may be different for the TA-1012, but according to that earlier post, it does not seem to be the case. Nevertheless, just to be safe, here's the zip for the TA-1012: https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../139c94fd08f52fbd3b852ab4ef5c6515fffb784e.zip (I don't have a TA-1012 so I wasn't able to test this particular zip.)

So basically, to make sure there's no problems, make sure in the Developer's options on the phone that OEM unlocking is enabled, then put your SD card into the phone. Plug the phone into your computer. Copy the update zip that you need somewhere onto the SD card. Disconnect the USB cable. Shut down the phone. Then, while holding down the Volume Up button, reconnect the USB cable. You should see a sad android with "No command" displayed. Now release the Volume Up button. Then hold down the power button and then JUST PRESS once on the Volume Up button. You should be at a recovery menu. Using the volume keys, scroll down to the 'Apply update on SD card' option and select it. Select the zip that you copied over to the SD card earlier and then let it install for a while. It will probably pop up with a 'timestamp too old' error, but just ignore this. The update will install anyway. Then once it's done, do a factory reset on the phone and then shut down. MAKE SURE THERE'S NO SIM CARD IN THE PHONE.

Now that's out of the way, boot the phone up again and just click through the first-time setup screens but DO NOT ENABLE WI-FI or any kind of internet connection. We don't want the phone to update itself back to Android 9. Now plug the phone in again. Copy the bootloaderunlocker apk from Nokia's website onto the phone. Install it. Put in the email address you want the unlock key emailed to. Then voila! You'll get the verification code. Put it into the form on Nokia's website and you'll be emailed an unlock.key file. From there, the site will tell you how to proceed.

Hello i too tried unlocking my nokia 8 but the laptop doesnt recognise my phone in fastboot Mode.i need help i installed all drivers but the same problem arises

shivaji namburu

Mar 16, 2017

sumitinhome

Jul 1, 2014
OnePlus One
I mean it detects when the phone is in nornal mode but when mobile is booted into fastboot mode it doesn't detect

Yes i understood, make sure you are using latest adb drivers.

More on it. Make sure you have USB debugging on from Developers options. Also make sure oem unlocking option is on.
1 - Connect your phone to pc while powered on.
2 - From adb folder open command prompt and type adb devices (If your device is detected in adb mode while powered on)
2.1 - if not detected in adb devices.. then go to developer settings and revoke USB debugging authorizations. then again repeat the above process in point no. 2.
3 - if detected now then type adb reboot bootloader, let it reboot in download mode.
4. then type 'fastboot flash unlock [your unlock key]' if this doesnt work then try 'fastboot -i 0x2e04 flash unlock [unlock key]'
5. after that either 'fastboot oem unlock' or 'fastboot -i 0x2e04 oem unlock'

See if this works.

gvreddy

Nov 6, 2014
Chandigarh
Struck on Nokia Logo

-

after this my phone struck on nokia logo, please help,,,,
i'm training to recovery mode \ download mode but not working both

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-

Ok. So after rooting, is it possible to install Pie update and still have root?
    Yes you can, if you are on the december update of pie then see this thread for a pre-rooted boot image https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-8/development/android-9-0-pie-patched-boot-img-t3875977

If you want to root january or feb pie updates then follow the tutorial here https://bit.ly/nokia-nb1
    Ok solved this one, had to Update to P remove the Google Account linked to the Device and downgrade again.
    It's Part of the Factory Reset Protection that you cant skip the Wifi and Update Screens.
    why another topic ?!

I managed to get the key. Servers are working.