The Unofficial Official Nokia 8 Bootloader Unlock Method

Search This thread

JMerc345

Jul 12, 2017
Samsung Galaxy A30s
Your command looks correct so far. Are you sure that the path to the TWRP image was correct? Also could you post the output of fastboot oem device-info?

Also, you really really (really) shouldn't flash twrp-3.2.3-1-NB1.img. It has no ability to boot into your system and instead boots straight into recovery. It was intended to be used as an image you could temporarily boot and then patch your local partition with a special installer .zip, but when fastboot boot broke it became useless.
Either use the prepatched image that matches your security patch, or my new generic TWRP image that works on all security patch versions (and can decrypt /data on Android 9). You can find both at https://bit.ly/nokia-nb1

Your generic TWRP works on Oreo & on Pie too, yes??

Also, just to make doubly sure, command should be " fastboot flash boot_a twrp-3.2.3-2-NB1.img " followed by " fastboot reboot ", and that should be it right...??

Last edited:

THMSP

Jul 19, 2018
Europe
tmsp.io
Your generic TWRP works on Oreo & on Pie too, yes??

Also, just to make doubly sure, command should be " fastboot flash boot_a twrp-3.2.3-2-NB1.img " followed by " fastboot reboot ", and that should be it right...??
Yes, just like it says in the thread I linked thread. It works on all security patch versions.
It might happen that you instantly reboot into TWRP instead of the system, but that would be normal on Oreo, at least in my experience. If that happens, just flash Magisk and reboot to disable device verification and be able to boot.

JMerc345

Jul 12, 2017
Samsung Galaxy A30s
Your command looks correct so far. Are you sure that the path to the TWRP image was correct? Also could you post the output of fastboot oem device-info?

Also, you really really (really) shouldn't flash twrp-3.2.3-1-NB1.img. It has no ability to boot into your system and instead boots straight into recovery. It was intended to be used as an image you could temporarily boot and then patch your local partition with a special installer .zip, but when fastboot boot broke it became useless.
Either use the prepatched image that matches your security patch, or my new generic TWRP image that works on all security patch versions (and can decrypt /data on Android 9). You can find both at https://bit.ly/nokia-nb1

" fastboot oem device-info " returns this:
(bootloader) Verity mode: true
(bootloader) Device unlocked: true
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enable: true

" fastboot flash boot_a twrp-3.2.3-2-NB1.img " returns this:
Sending 'boot_a' (49716 KB) FAILED (Write to device failed in SendBuffer( ) (Too many links))
fastboot: error: Command failed

Last edited:

shivaji namburu

Mar 16, 2017
I even tried installing twrp but in fastboot mode my mobile doesn't get detected and command doesnt even work.i know its drivers pblm i tried installing many drivers but found no use.if you people have best working drivers n adb tools pls share those to me

brill_e

Dec 24, 2016
Graz
still doesnt work . same issue with fastboot devices

Yea... Under device manager you can see the device as android and so on and may it has a yellow treeangle, i testet some there to install there drivers by manual and auto-search which doesnt go first but for some reasen it installs correctly after more trias by clicking auto-search but i dont know why

Sent from my Nokia 8 using XDA Labs

shivaji namburu

Mar 16, 2017
Yea... Under device manager you can see the device as android and so on and may it has a yellow treeangle, i testet some there to install there drivers by manual and auto-search which doesnt go first but for some reasen it installs correctly after more trias by clicking auto-search but i dont know why

Yeah done that also by installing different drivers but doesnt work

MDV106

Jan 4, 2019
Here in that link i can see boot img , actually i dnt have much idea on these boot img
I had unlocked my bootloader and tried to install twrp but it has shown success but couldn't boot into twrp recovery instead booting it into stock recovery. So i need solution to this pblm otherwise can we just boot prerooted boot img to root the mobile
Dont try to install it. Just flash the relevant twrp boot image found in one of the boot image folders of that link. Flash it on your current boot slot and then booting into twrp recovery is as simple as holding the volume up key and inserting a USB cable while holding the up volume key until the twrp splash screen appears

AmcAAmcA

Dec 26, 2007
how do you stop it upgrading once downgraded ? I've removed the sim card, but there is no option to skip wifi upgrade. Either i connect to an ssid and it upgrades itself or no other step to follow, skip wifi connection ?

MDV106

Jan 4, 2019
how do you stop it upgrading once downgraded ? I've removed the sim card, but there is no option to skip wifi upgrade. Either i connect to an ssid and it upgrades itself or no other step to follow, skip wifi connection ?
Be in an area where there is no wifi connection?

MDV106

Jan 4, 2019
Nope, in that case just stucks at wifi screen. I can't move forward without a wifi connection though I could skip no sim screen.

This is news to me. I have never had this happen on my phone., Ive always been able to skip all the setup screens whenever I sideloaded the stock rom.

datorprofessor

Nov 16, 2012
Nope, in that case just stucks at wifi screen. I can't move forward without a wifi connection though I could skip no sim screen.

You have to remove the gmail account before you reset and set up as new (or the other. Skip, skip, skip and you will complete. Then go do "developers options" in settings, and disable auto-update with toggle.

To everybody about this tutorial: I confirm this method works and this is exactly what I have also done before, by downgrading from 9 to 8.1 with f9cb380bd9c2bf1b6ddebcab9dcf389843eb2d39.zip Those weird numbers are the checksum of the file.

Controll the file integrity with checksum and get the same results as the file name. Algorithm used to generate is SHA1 checksum.

Angcrad

Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for this. I just noticed that the "OEM unlocking" is disabled and greyed out on my TA-1012 device. Will it still work?

I have the TA-1004, fresh out of the box I updated to Pie, saw the "device not support" message, enabled developer options, looked for the OEM unlocking option, it was grayed out, I installed the zip file anyway, booted into Oreo no problem, enabled developer options again, looked for OEM unlocking, still grayed out. Updated Google Play Services, ran the HDM app, got my key sent to my e-mail, checked OEM Unlocking again and now it is available.

MDV106

Jan 4, 2019
I have the TA-1004, fresh out of the box I updated to Pie, saw the "device not support" message, enabled developer options, looked for the OEM unlocking option, it was grayed out, I installed the zip file anyway, booted into Oreo no problem, enabled developer options again, looked for OEM unlocking, still grayed out. Updated Google Play Services, ran the HDM app, got my key sent to my e-mail, checked OEM Unlocking again and now it is available.
That was months ago. I was able to unlock the phone after that post with no problem.

Dr. Slump

Sep 13, 2012

When did you obtain the key? Can it be obtained now?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you try to use the bootloader unlocker apk from Nokia and your Nokia 8 has an android version that's past a certain version, the apk will flat out fail with a "Device not support." error message. And chances are, your Nokia 8 will be at an incompatible android version. So to unlock the bootloader, you will need to downgrade your phone to a legitimate version of android 8.1.0 so the apk will not error out and get you a verification code. This guide will show you how. NOTE THAT THIS METHOD WILL ERASE ALL INTERNAL DATA ON YOUR PHONE.

-

This update zip is what you need for the TA-1004: https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../f9cb380bd9c2bf1b6ddebcab9dcf389843eb2d39.zip

It may be different for the TA-1012, but according to that earlier post, it does not seem to be the case. Nevertheless, just to be safe, here's the zip for the TA-1012: https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../139c94fd08f52fbd3b852ab4ef5c6515fffb784e.zip (I don't have a TA-1012 so I wasn't able to test this particular zip.)

So basically, to make sure there's no problems, make sure in the Developer's options on the phone that OEM unlocking is enabled, then put your SD card into the phone. Plug the phone into your computer. Copy the update zip that you need somewhere onto the SD card. Disconnect the USB cable. Shut down the phone. Then, while holding down the Volume Up button, reconnect the USB cable. You should see a sad android with "No command" displayed. Now release the Volume Up button. Then hold down the power button and then JUST PRESS once on the Volume Up button. You should be at a recovery menu. Using the volume keys, scroll down to the 'Apply update on SD card' option and select it. Select the zip that you copied over to the SD card earlier and then let it install for a while. It will probably pop up with a 'timestamp too old' error, but just ignore this. The update will install anyway. Then once it's done, do a factory reset on the phone and then shut down. MAKE SURE THERE'S NO SIM CARD IN THE PHONE.

Now that's out of the way, boot the phone up again and just click through the first-time setup screens but DO NOT ENABLE WI-FI or any kind of internet connection. We don't want the phone to update itself back to Android 9. Now plug the phone in again. Copy the bootloaderunlocker apk from Nokia's website onto the phone. Install it. Put in the email address you want the unlock key emailed to. Then voila! You'll get the verification code. Put it into the form on Nokia's website and you'll be emailed an unlock.key file. From there, the site will tell you how to proceed.

A HUGE thanks to: THMSP and frankoid

They did all the work. <3
    Ok. So after rooting, is it possible to install Pie update and still have root?
    Yes you can, if you are on the december update of pie then see this thread for a pre-rooted boot image https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-8/development/android-9-0-pie-patched-boot-img-t3875977

If you want to root january or feb pie updates then follow the tutorial here https://bit.ly/nokia-nb1
    Ok solved this one, had to Update to P remove the Google Account linked to the Device and downgrade again.
    It's Part of the Factory Reset Protection that you cant skip the Wifi and Update Screens.
    why another topic ?!

Because I don't expect people to dig around in all the Nokia 8 Guide threads to find the exact and, to my knowledge, only way to unlock the bootloader. Furthermore, I found this solution in a sort of unrelated thread, which would make the solution even harder to find for the average user.
    I managed to get the key. Servers are working.