The Unofficial Official Nokia 8 Bootloader Unlock Method

Search This thread

Azeem Shah

Nov 14, 2015
Lahore
If you try to use the bootloader unlocker apk from Nokia and your Nokia 8 has an android version that's past a certain version, the apk will flat out fail with a "Device not support." error message. And chances are, your Nokia 8 will be at an incompatible android version. So to unlock the bootloader, you will need to downgrade your phone to a legitimate version of android 8.1.0 so the apk will not error out and get you a verification code. This guide will show you how. NOTE THAT THIS METHOD WILL ERASE ALL INTERNAL DATA ON YOUR PHONE.

-

This update zip is what you need for the TA-1004: https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../f9cb380bd9c2bf1b6ddebcab9dcf389843eb2d39.zip

It may be different for the TA-1012, but according to that earlier post, it does not seem to be the case. Nevertheless, just to be safe, here's the zip for the TA-1012: https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../139c94fd08f52fbd3b852ab4ef5c6515fffb784e.zip (I don't have a TA-1012 so I wasn't able to test this particular zip.)

So basically, to make sure there's no problems, make sure in the Developer's options on the phone that OEM unlocking is enabled, then put your SD card into the phone. Plug the phone into your computer. Copy the update zip that you need somewhere onto the SD card. Disconnect the USB cable. Shut down the phone. Then, while holding down the Volume Up button, reconnect the USB cable. You should see a sad android with "No command" displayed. Now release the Volume Up button. Then hold down the power button and then JUST PRESS once on the Volume Up button. You should be at a recovery menu. Using the volume keys, scroll down to the 'Apply update on SD card' option and select it. Select the zip that you copied over to the SD card earlier and then let it install for a while. It will probably pop up with a 'timestamp too old' error, but just ignore this. The update will install anyway. Then once it's done, do a factory reset on the phone and then shut down. MAKE SURE THERE'S NO SIM CARD IN THE PHONE.

Now that's out of the way, boot the phone up again and just click through the first-time setup screens but DO NOT ENABLE WI-FI or any kind of internet connection. We don't want the phone to update itself back to Android 9. Now plug the phone in again. Copy the bootloaderunlocker apk from Nokia's website onto the phone. Install it. Put in the email address you want the unlock key emailed to. Then voila! You'll get the verification code. Put it into the form on Nokia's website and you'll be emailed an unlock.key file. From there, the site will tell you how to proceed.

A HUGE thanks to: THMSP and frankoid

They did all the work. <3

My nokia 8 TA_1012 September update this method possible to downgrade

JinbrianZ

Aug 18, 2013
CEBU
hello, is anyone here can share me ur unlock.bin key from ur nokia 8. w/ ur serial and imei. im trying to unlock my bootloader using nb1 collision for nokia 6. just pm me thanks.

scheusso

Mar 15, 2020
HMD unlock tool doesn't seem to be working anymore on 8.1 November patch:
After downgrading, wiping and updating play services:
HMD unlock tool tries to establish communication, shows "loading" for very long and then gives a connection error:
"Network Error, Please help ckeck your internet and try again."

Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

scheusso

Mar 15, 2020
From a quick Wireshark analysis it seems the tool is making a request to googleapis and then to amazonaws but the content is encrypted using TLSv1.2, so no idea what really happens...

mete89

Nov 26, 2016
From a quick Wireshark analysis it seems the tool is making a request to googleapis and then to amazonaws but the content is encrypted using TLSv1.2, so no idea what really happens...

Yeah, the bootloader unlock is a pain in the arse. i have the same issue. i don't understand why hmd made it so difficult. force to downgrade, disable the oem-unlock, then update the apps again and now the problem with the network error.
could you solve the problem by now?
greetz

Request for the Nokia 8 unlock.key file

Hello! Sorry to bother you guys, Is there any way I can get the unlock key file of your Nokia 8 please? Thank you for any of the help you can provide me. This is so that I can unlock the bootloader of my Nokia 6 using nb1 collision unlocker... Thank you so much! :)

Ayhem-GH

Jan 27, 2016
Sony Xperia L
Nokia 8
HMD unlock tool doesn't seem to be working anymore on 8.1 November patch:
After downgrading, wiping and updating play services:
HMD unlock tool tries to establish communication, shows "loading" for very long and then gives a connection error:
"Network Error, Please help ckeck your internet and try again."

Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Anyone found a solution for this issue yet? (Network error in the tool)
My patience is running out

mete89

Nov 26, 2016
Nope, just upgraded to 9.0 again and started looking for a new Phone. When I bought it, I was hoping that there would be more support from HMD, because of the nearly stock Android. They don't seem to care anymore and the community couldn't get formed. Sad for HMD. They could have been evolved to a Real insider tip. In my opinion, don't wait for it.

Greetz

Reactions: TonyUkukk

rahulsinh

Jan 10, 2015
Hello all,

I have Nokia 8 and have downgraded using the zip provided and also installed the bootloaderunlocker apk. I opened the app, added the email and pressed the confirm button but instead of success I got "Network error, Please help check your internet and try again". Don't know what to do. Any solutions?

mete89

Nov 26, 2016
Nope, just some posts earlier Scheusso and I reported the same Problems. No solution that I know about. Seems that HMD doesn't care anymore. I am sorry.

Greetz

TonyUkukk

Aug 8, 2014
Baku
Ok solved this one, had to Update to P remove the Google Account linked to the Device and downgrade again.
It's Part of the Factory Reset Protection that you cant skip the Wifi and Update Screens.

thanks mate, now I understand how to resolve the issue. unlike some people here (foxbatul) who dont want to help, there are still kind people who dont hesitate to share the useful resolving ways

Binklebonk

Jul 8, 2020
after this my phone struck on nokia logo, please help,,,,
i'm training to recovery mode \ download mode but not working both

I now have the same issue with my TA-1052. Phone won't start and can't enter recovery mode.

The 8.1 downgrade applied, but upon reboot, I'm not able to enter recovery mode: power + volume-down, continuing to hold volume-down until recovery menu (which never comes).

I've tried connecting via ADB, but it's not detected.

The phone displays "Powered by Android" for about 30 seconds. Then transitions to "NOKIA" indefinitely. It'll eventually run out of battery, or I can hold power + volume-up to force power it off.

Is there a way to recover from this, or is my phone bricked?

umerhussain298

Mar 29, 2021
If you try to use the bootloader unlocker apk from Nokia and your Nokia 8 has an android version that's past a certain version, the apk will flat out fail with a "Device not support." error message. And chances are, your Nokia 8 will be at an incompatible android version. So to unlock the bootloader, you will need to downgrade your phone to a legitimate version of android 8.1.0 so the apk will not error out and get you a verification code. This guide will show you how. NOTE THAT THIS METHOD WILL ERASE ALL INTERNAL DATA ON YOUR PHONE.

-

This update zip is what you need for the TA-1004: https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../f9cb380bd9c2bf1b6ddebcab9dcf389843eb2d39.zip

It may be different for the TA-1012, but according to that earlier post, it does not seem to be the case. Nevertheless, just to be safe, here's the zip for the TA-1012: https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../139c94fd08f52fbd3b852ab4ef5c6515fffb784e.zip (I don't have a TA-1012 so I wasn't able to test this particular zip.)

So basically, to make sure there's no problems, make sure in the Developer's options on the phone that OEM unlocking is enabled, then put your SD card into the phone. Plug the phone into your computer. Copy the update zip that you need somewhere onto the SD card. Disconnect the USB cable. Shut down the phone. Then, while holding down the Volume Up button, reconnect the USB cable. You should see a sad android with "No command" displayed. Now release the Volume Up button. Then hold down the power button and then JUST PRESS once on the Volume Up button. You should be at a recovery menu. Using the volume keys, scroll down to the 'Apply update on SD card' option and select it. Select the zip that you copied over to the SD card earlier and then let it install for a while. It will probably pop up with a 'timestamp too old' error, but just ignore this. The update will install anyway. Then once it's done, do a factory reset on the phone and then shut down. MAKE SURE THERE'S NO SIM CARD IN THE PHONE.

Now that's out of the way, boot the phone up again and just click through the first-time setup screens but DO NOT ENABLE WI-FI or any kind of internet connection. We don't want the phone to update itself back to Android 9. Now plug the phone in again. Copy the bootloaderunlocker apk from Nokia's website onto the phone. Install it. Put in the email address you want the unlock key emailed to. Then voila! You'll get the verification code. Put it into the form on Nokia's website and you'll be emailed an unlock.key file. From there, the site will tell you how to proceed.

bro please help me i have nokia 8 ta-1004 nb1 when i entered my imei to imei.info it always shows information about nokia 9 pureview i also have matched phone imei with the box it is same even on sim tray

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-

Ok. So after rooting, is it possible to install Pie update and still have root?
    Yes you can, if you are on the december update of pie then see this thread for a pre-rooted boot image https://xdaforums.com/nokia-8/development/android-9-0-pie-patched-boot-img-t3875977

If you want to root january or feb pie updates then follow the tutorial here https://bit.ly/nokia-nb1
    Ok solved this one, had to Update to P remove the Google Account linked to the Device and downgrade again.
    It's Part of the Factory Reset Protection that you cant skip the Wifi and Update Screens.
    why another topic ?!

Because I don't expect people to dig around in all the Nokia 8 Guide threads to find the exact and, to my knowledge, only way to unlock the bootloader. Furthermore, I found this solution in a sort of unrelated thread, which would make the solution even harder to find for the average user.
    I managed to get the key. Servers are working.