• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[THEME] Greys and Blacks V1.2.1 (with more battery icon choices) Updated 6/28/11

Search This thread

stranula

May 28, 2011
Ann Arbor
***AS THIS THEME IS OUT DATED AND MAY NOT WORK ON THE LATEST ROMS FOR FROYO, I HAVE REMOVED ALL OF THE DOWNLOAD LINKS***

So this is my first attempt at making a theme. Its really just the stock theme but with the colors changed to greys and blacks. After several different approaches to this and several attempts (for me this is really version 5ish because I am new to this). I finally have something I'm proud enough to release.

I am personally running Gummycharge 1.8.1 ROM by kejar31 and PeanutButta Jelly Time Kernel by imnuts, so I know this theme works with those.

To Come
- Remove Location Icon
- More battery icons

Themed:

Framework-res.apk
twframework-res.apk
dialertabactivity.apk
mms.apk
contacts.apk

Updates:
- (6/28/11) I've now got 8 different battery icon sets up and running on v1.2.1. See the images below and the download links for them.
- (6/27/11) Well like I said, I'd be working on some new battery icons and I've got 2 up and running. I have two new versions out, the first is the same icon as before, but now it shows the battery percent while charging (Battery 1). The second is the Gingerbread battery I believe (Battery 2). Both of these were made using UOT Kitchen which makes it really easy to do these, so I'll have a few more out later. See images below of battery icons.
- (6/27/11) Found some more images I wanted to edit to clean things up a bit. v1.1.1 and v1.2.1 both have these updates. v1.2.1 also has syaoran12's updated reboot options which hopefully remove some of the bugs that I saw. Namely, occasionally the battery would indicated the wrong charge, or just show the wrong image period.
- (6/27/11) Added install instructions to OP
- (6/26/11) Some new screenshots are up.
- (6/26/11) Just in case people try out the reboot options mod and do not like it or want to go back for whatever reason, I have also included a patch for reinstalling the original android.policy.jar and framework.jar. You will need to clear cache and dalvik, install that zip, then install whatever theme you want.
- (6/26/11) I implemented syaoran12's reboot options to the phone options dialogue in v1.2. I think his changes were fantastic, I had been hoping someone would release that option, so all credit goes to him for that one. You can see the original post herehttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1137341&highlight=power+options
- (6/26/11) I noticed that I didn't change the color of the wifi on in the dropdown menu, so that is fixed in v1.1. I also changed the popup windows to grey from the orange that they were.

Downloads:
Download v1.0 here:

Download v1.1 here:
Download v1.1.1 here:

***For V1.2 you need to wipe Dalvik and Cache Partitions (as per syaoran12's original instructions)***
Version 1.2.# adds the reboot options to the phone options menu when you hold the power button.
Download v1.2 here:
Download v1.2.1 here:
Battery 1
Download v1.2.1 Battery 1 here
Battery 2
Download v1.2.1 Battery 2 here:
Battery 3
Download v1.2.1 Battery 3 here
Battery 4
Download v1.2.1 Battery 4 here:
Battery 5
Download v1.2.1 Battery 5 here:
Battery 6
Download v1.2.1 Battery 6 here:
Battery 7
Download v1.2.1 Battery 7 here:
Battery 8
Download v1.2.1 Battery 8 here:

***To restore the original android.policy.jar and framework.jar you need to wipe Dalvik and Cache Partitions (as per syaoran12's original instructions)***
Download Restore_From_Reboot_Options here:

How to Install:

Make sure you have root and Clockwork Recovery installed
(CWR provided by imnuts here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1112804)
- Boot into recovery (Use either Reboot Button app or Hold Volume Up + Home + Power Buttons when phone is off, until the Samsung logo flashes then release all buttons)
***For V1.2 (You do not need to do this for V1.0 or V1.1)***
- Select "wipe data/factory reset"
- Select "Yes - Delete All Data"
- Go Back
- Select Advanced
- Select "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
- Select "Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache"
- Go Back
***For all versions***
- Select "install zip from sdcard"
- Select "choose zip from sdcard"
- Select "Greys_and_Blacks_v#.#.zip"
- Select "Yes - Install Greys_and_Blacks_v#.#.zip"
- Go Back
- Select Reboot System Now.
***The first boot may take a little longer than usual***

As usual, flash this theme at your own risk, myself, xda, nor anyone other than yourself is responsible for damages to your phone.

If you give the theme a shot and like it, leave me a thanks, or a post so I know if its worth continuing to update.

Credits:
- I used the numbers on the dial pad from gummycharged by kejar31. I don't think I used anything in the theme from anywhere else, but if I did, I apologize for not crediting the original source.
- The Reboot Options are directly from syaoran12, so all credit to him

Attachments

• snap20110623_195910.jpg
    snap20110623_195910.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 438
  • snap20110623_195926.jpg
    snap20110623_195926.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 401
  • snap20110623_195959.jpg
    snap20110623_195959.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 367
  • snap20110623_200019.jpg
    snap20110623_200019.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 350
  • snap20110626_190509.jpg
    snap20110626_190509.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 263
  • snap20110626_190530.jpg
    snap20110626_190530.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Reactions: anoninja118

addictedhacks

Jan 1, 2011
Orange County, Ca
grey and black

I like it man. I think it looks great. It looks like something I would stick with because I like my stuff simple. Alot of colors are ok but as for me I keep it plain thus its awesome in my book.

gunnermike

Dec 13, 2010
Crestview
I've done some xml editing, but I havent really gotten into it for the themes yet. Ive tried but the hardest part is figuring out which xmls to edit. Not to mention finding the time to actually do it. But its coming along at its own pace

head over to irc server andirc #charge channel, you can learn alot there and someone always know what to do. also check out the super dark theme for the fascinate here.

Last edited:

Blanco954

Jun 8, 2008
I'm downloading this now I subscribed to this anticipating your release I just thought this was perfect as I like black and grey themes. I will post feedback for you. This is awesome!! Thanks for sharing and contributing to theme development on the charge.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA Premium App

Blanco954

Jun 8, 2008
I am running your theme now and flash went ok. I am on kejar31 gummy charge v1. 8. 1 Rom and kernel. I recommend you update the OP to indicate that this is flashed via CWR & some basic instructions would help the newbies that want to try (I am using the most recent update of CWR posted on kejar's gummy charge thread). so far this running great on my phone. looks awesome! has great contrast in all menues and selections. I would recommend losing the location indicator on the status bar most custom ROM users ask for that to be removed, you might consider a mod to add it back if there's some folks that want it.

Keep up the good work this is staying on my phone for a long time.

Last edited:

stranula

May 28, 2011
Ann Arbor
I'm glad you like it Blanco954. I updated the OP with installation instructions. I will look into removing the location icon from the status bar, shouldn't take too long I don't think. I am also going to make a few different varieties with different battery icons, since people seem to like options for that.

Blanco954

Jun 8, 2008
You knocked it off the park with your detailed instructions. A lot of folks will appreciate the time and effort. I haven't found any bugs so no news is good news. Excellent job on your first release I look forward to some more themes and updates from your kitchen.

ROM: Gummy Charge v1. 8. 1by Kejar31
Kernel: Gummy Charge OC 1400 Mhz.
Theme: Greys & Blacks v1. 2 by Stranula

stranula

May 28, 2011
Ann Arbor
I haven't yet figured out removing the location icon. I don't just want to make it a blank image, I want to actually remove it, so it takes a little more effort than originally planned. I have, however, made a few modifications to some more images that I found that I wanted to change. I also have 2 new sets of battery icons up. **UPDATE** Make that 8 sets of battery icons

Last edited:

stranula

May 28, 2011
Ann Arbor
So after a few hours on this GB release, I really don't like the look of it. I very much preferred the look of the froyo theme that came with the phone, not to mention the grainy text (I know this will be fixed eventually, but for now it looks bad). I originally had planned on sticking with it and theming it, but really its just not worth it right now. I'm not satisfied with this leaked build, I'm going back to froyo until something more developed comes along. Sorry to leave anybody hanging.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***AS THIS THEME IS OUT DATED AND MAY NOT WORK ON THE LATEST ROMS FOR FROYO, I HAVE REMOVED ALL OF THE DOWNLOAD LINKS***

So this is my first attempt at making a theme. Its really just the stock theme but with the colors changed to greys and blacks. After several different approaches to this and several attempts (for me this is really version 5ish because I am new to this). I finally have something I'm proud enough to release.

I am personally running Gummycharge 1.8.1 ROM by kejar31 and PeanutButta Jelly Time Kernel by imnuts, so I know this theme works with those.

To Come
    - Remove Location Icon
    - More battery icons

Themed:

Framework-res.apk
    twframework-res.apk
    dialertabactivity.apk
    mms.apk
    contacts.apk

Updates:
    - (6/28/11) I've now got 8 different battery icon sets up and running on v1.2.1. See the images below and the download links for them.
    - (6/27/11) Well like I said, I'd be working on some new battery icons and I've got 2 up and running. I have two new versions out, the first is the same icon as before, but now it shows the battery percent while charging (Battery 1). The second is the Gingerbread battery I believe (Battery 2). Both of these were made using UOT Kitchen which makes it really easy to do these, so I'll have a few more out later. See images below of battery icons.
    - (6/27/11) Found some more images I wanted to edit to clean things up a bit. v1.1.1 and v1.2.1 both have these updates. v1.2.1 also has syaoran12's updated reboot options which hopefully remove some of the bugs that I saw. Namely, occasionally the battery would indicated the wrong charge, or just show the wrong image period.
    - (6/27/11) Added install instructions to OP
    - (6/26/11) Some new screenshots are up.
    - (6/26/11) Just in case people try out the reboot options mod and do not like it or want to go back for whatever reason, I have also included a patch for reinstalling the original android.policy.jar and framework.jar. You will need to clear cache and dalvik, install that zip, then install whatever theme you want.
    - (6/26/11) I implemented syaoran12's reboot options to the phone options dialogue in v1.2. I think his changes were fantastic, I had been hoping someone would release that option, so all credit goes to him for that one. You can see the original post herehttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1137341&highlight=power+options
    - (6/26/11) I noticed that I didn't change the color of the wifi on in the dropdown menu, so that is fixed in v1.1. I also changed the popup windows to grey from the orange that they were.

Downloads:
    Download v1.0 here:

Download v1.1 here:
    Download v1.1.1 here:

***For V1.2 you need to wipe Dalvik and Cache Partitions (as per syaoran12's original instructions)***
    Version 1.2.# adds the reboot options to the phone options menu when you hold the power button.
    Download v1.2 here:
    Download v1.2.1 here:
    Battery 1
    Download v1.2.1 Battery 1 here
    Battery 2
    Download v1.2.1 Battery 2 here:
    Battery 3
    Download v1.2.1 Battery 3 here
    Battery 4
    Download v1.2.1 Battery 4 here:
    Battery 5
    Download v1.2.1 Battery 5 here:
    Battery 6
    Download v1.2.1 Battery 6 here:
    Battery 7
    Download v1.2.1 Battery 7 here:
    Battery 8
    Download v1.2.1 Battery 8 here:

***To restore the original android.policy.jar and framework.jar you need to wipe Dalvik and Cache Partitions (as per syaoran12's original instructions)***
    Download Restore_From_Reboot_Options here:

How to Install:

Make sure you have root and Clockwork Recovery installed
    (CWR provided by imnuts here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1112804)
    - Boot into recovery (Use either Reboot Button app or Hold Volume Up + Home + Power Buttons when phone is off, until the Samsung logo flashes then release all buttons)
    ***For V1.2 (You do not need to do this for V1.0 or V1.1)***
    - Select "wipe data/factory reset"
    - Select "Yes - Delete All Data"
    - Go Back
    - Select Advanced
    - Select "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
    - Select "Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache"
    - Go Back
    ***For all versions***
    - Select "install zip from sdcard"
    - Select "choose zip from sdcard"
    - Select "Greys_and_Blacks_v#.#.zip"
    - Select "Yes - Install Greys_and_Blacks_v#.#.zip"
    - Go Back
    - Select Reboot System Now.
    ***The first boot may take a little longer than usual***

As usual, flash this theme at your own risk, myself, xda, nor anyone other than yourself is responsible for damages to your phone.

If you give the theme a shot and like it, leave me a thanks, or a post so I know if its worth continuing to update.

Credits:
    - I used the numbers on the dial pad from gummycharged by kejar31. I don't think I used anything in the theme from anywhere else, but if I did, I apologize for not crediting the original source.
    - The Reboot Options are directly from syaoran12, so all credit to him
    How about an update for GB??? Thanks

I just finished downloading GB, I'll get to work on it.
    look at the post above yours

Can i flash the android battery icon for the notification bar and flash it in CWM? i am currently on Humble 1.42 pbj kernel. thank you :D