[THEME][SUBSTRATUM][AA] WALLPAPERS FOR AA - Change the look of Android Auto launcher

Should I split the theme? More on post #104

• Yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Heya! Updates will be live in a few minutes

Wallpapers For AA - Vehicles got updated to 1.7

Here's what's added:
  • Mitsubishi Carbon
  • DS E-Tense & Performance Line
  • Porsche Carrera, Carrera 4S, GT3 RS, Turbo S, Panamera
  • Dacia Stepway
  • Camaro

View attachment 5034901

If you want sneek peaks of new updates, as well as of test builds of WP4AA and Extras4AA, be sure to join the update channel on Telegram

Please don't forget to rate and review on XDA Labs. It helps the development a lot!

Keep in mind when downloads and userbase is decreasing then theme updates will also slow down by a lot and eventually stop.

So if you like my work please take a moment and give a rate!

TRANSLATORS WANTED

Do you have 5 minutes for translating a bunch of strings in your native language? Please PM me or contact me on Telegram or mail me

Download links and previews on OP!

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Heya! Update is live on XDA Labs

Wallpapers For AA - Vehicles got updated to 1.8

Here's what's added:
  • Cayenne
  • Cayenne GTS
  • Volkswagen Virtus
  • GTS by Porsche
  • Maybach
  • Lexus Hybrid
  • New R Line logo by Volkswagen

400015700220_214680.jpg

If you want sneek peaks of new updates, as well as of test builds of WP4AA and Extras4AA, be sure to join the update channel on Telegram

Please don't forget to rate and review on XDA Labs. It helps the development a lot!

Keep in mind when downloads and userbase is decreasing then theme updates will also slow down by a lot and eventually stop.

TRANSLATORS WANTED

Do you have 5 minutes for translating a bunch of strings in your native language? Please PM me or contact me on Telegram or mail me

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Heya! Updates are live on XDA Labs

Wallpapers For AA - Vehicles got updated to 1.9

Here's what's added:
  • Kia Stinger badge
  • Audi E-Tron Badge
  • New Mitsubishi carbon-alt logo

View attachment 5053615

Wallpapers For AA - General got updated to 1.7

Here's what's added:
  • MacOS Big Sur wallpapers! (2)
  • Other 4 random wallpapers

View attachment 5053617

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Heya! WP4AA is back!

Updates will be soon be pushed to XDA Labs

Wallpapers For AA - Vehicles got updated to 2.1

Here's what's added:
  • GT by Kia badge
  • 500X and 500L by FIAT
  • Vignale by Ford

View attachment 5083555

Wallpapers For AA - General got updated to 1.9 - Note 20 update

Here's what's added

• 4 wallpapers from the Note 20 series

View attachment 5083553

If you want sneek peaks of new updates, as well as of test builds of WP4AA and Extras for AA, the theme to customize Android Auto even more, be sure to join the update channel on Telegram

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Heya!

No release this time, but today is a special day for me. A year ago today my journey with theming Android Auto started.

It all began by chance. I saw a post of a guy on Facebook asking "Is it possible to swap the original background of Android Auto? It's terrible". I agreed with him.

From time to time I used to take some apps' APKs and decompile them to sneak inside. That time around, I decompiled AA and started something. As soon as I knew which one was the file to swap in order to change the background, I thought to myself "All right, now how can I effectively make something that swaps Android Auto's wallpaper?"

Something that modified the APK was needed. I thought about Xposed. That's a pretty powerful framework but not many people would have installed it because of compatibility, stability and SafetyNet issues, and that’s why my choice went on Substratum, cause it's pretty powerful and rather easy to setup. Plus, it's on the Play Store, it's updated and easy to use. It requires root in most of the cases, I'm also unfortunate to not have Suynergy compatibility, but if root is the way to have what Google doesn’t give us, then root it is.

I'm pretty sure most of the users of my themes use Substratum just for my themes (and I’m very happy with it), but believe me, once you find some other Substratum themes, you can theme the whole device. Like literally.

So I learned how to make a Substratum theme, and in a matter of some hours I got a first working concept. It was something, and nothing else was like it. And that’s how “Substratum AA Backgrounds” started.

I wanted to launch it as a theme. I’ve thought about publishing on the Play Store but the 25$ dollars subscription fee wasn’t that convenient for something that would have been a very niche theme (and also free). But then, after just 20 days I got the first big coverage. My creation was shared on XDA-Developers. I couldn’t believe my eyes. “AA Backgrounds” got the attention of more and more people. It was, and it is, indeed unique. One goal, a lot of choices for the users, all for a more satisfying experience in Android Auto.

Throughout this entire year I’ve always wanted to make my themes user-centered. From day 1 I’ve been always open to suggestions. Whatever my users asked for, I was 100% there to try and satisfy them. Wallpapers for AA has always been open to accepting user-submitted backgrounds, and as it started growing I’ve been able to also deliver a clear welcome screen, with instructions (translated in multiple languages) and all the useful things at a glance.

On Average, my themes have a satisfaction rate of 99.3% (based on reviews) and I’m pretty proud of how they contribute to change the look & feel of Android Auto, and also how they are the only ones doing so.

Wallpapers For AA is now 1 year old, counting more than 800 wallpapers in total. And with Extras For AA growing in options and popularity I’m really proud of delivering the most advanced way to personalize Android Auto as you want it, and not as Google wants to force us.

And thanks to all of you guys this project is alive and kicking!

Thanks for more than 20k downloads, thanks to everyone who contributed with donations (or willing to donate), thanks to everyone who shared my creations on the internet, letting other know that Android Auto CAN be customized, thanks to everyone who took a moment to rate the theme on XDA Labs with 5 stars and to everyone that reported issues or asked for new features.

That’s the first year of a long journey. Thanks for being part of it.

As always, if you want sneek peaks of new updates, as well as of test builds of WP4AA and Extras for AA, the theme to customize Android Auto even more, be sure to join the update channel on Telegram

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Heya!

Wallpapers For AA - Vehicles got updated to 2.2

Here's what's added:
  • Shelby by Ford
  • Bullit by Ford
  • EQV by Mercedes

View attachment 5092497

Wallpapers For AA - General got updated to 2.0 - Zenfone 7 update

Here's what's changed:

• Fixed an error redirecting the previews button to WP4AA vehicles wallpapers
  • Added 9 stunning wallpapers from the upcoming Asus Zenfone 7

View attachment 5092499

If you want sneek peaks of new updates, as well as of test builds of WP4AA and Extras for AA, the theme to customize Android Auto even more, be sure to join the update channel on Telegram

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Heya!

New version of Wallpapers for AA are live now:

Vehicles Version will be update to version 2.3 adding the following wallpapers:

• Polestar (2 variants)
  • Toyota hybrid (alt)
  • Various random wallpapers including a RAV4 one
veh.jpg

General version will be updated to version 2.1 adding the following wallpapers:

• Wallpapers from the newly announced Pixel 5!
  • Some other random wallpapers
gen.jpg

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Heya!

New version of Wallpapers for AA are live now:

All WP4AA variants will feature the new and revamped welcome dialog (as seen on Extras For AA)

Vehicles Version has been update to version 2.4 adding the following wallpapers:

• Jeep 4xe
  • Chevy Tahoe
  • Chevy High Road
  • 500e
  • DEFENDER by Range Rover
  • Audi Front Lights 2

General version has been updated to version 2.2 adding the following wallpapers:

• OnePlus 8T Wallpapers
  • Ubuntu 2020 wallpapers

Sport version has been updated to version 1.4 adding the following wallpapers:

• Several soccer clubs

View attachment 5126847

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Hi guys,

I just want to give a quick update regarding Wallpapers For AA development.

First thing first, XDA Labs has been down for quite some time by now. It's possible to download Wallpapers For AA from GitHub, including most of the older versions.

You might have heard the news that Google started developing this new feature that will let all Android Auto users to swap the default wallpaper.

It will have a grand total of 6 (!!!) wallpapers + an option to have it fully black.

I've enabled the feature with a Google Play Services manipulation and once this feature will be rolled out, it will break Wallpapers For Android Auto as it is now.

I don't want Wallpapers For Android Auto to end.

Wallpapers For Android Auto was built around personalization. It packs more than 850 wallpapers and it's by far the most complete way to give Android Auto a personal and fresh look. Having 5 more wallpapers inside Android Auto will not beat the collection of Wallpapers For Android Auto.

It's totally possible to adapt the theme to this new feature, but since the rollout of this (by Google) will be quite surely a step-by-step process, there will be some things to consider. There's no roadmap whatsoever on when this feature will be eventually live, but when it will, I'm planning on refactoring a bit the arrangement of wallpapers. Specifically, since there will be 6 wallpaper to choose from, some wallpapers will be merged to others to create some packs (e.g. Pack with Jeep logo, or pack with Pixel 5 Wallpapers).

During the rollout of the feature there will be two different scenarios:

• Users that still haven't received the feature will have to stick with a version of Wallpapers For AA that is still compatible with the old scheme with one wallpaper
  • Users that have received the feature will have to install a newer version of Wallpapers For AA that can work with this new thing

I could technically make so that my new app, AA AIO TWEAKER, can pack an option to force the new feature to be active and start the re-arrangement right now so that users in the first scenario will actually have a getaway to have the latest and greatest Wallpapers For AA but I don't want to force my users to download another app to make my theme work.

So please help me out right now.

Should I wait for Google or should I start refactoring now?

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Heya!

The moment has come and the big refactoring is now complete!

Introducing the biggest update to Wallpapers For Android Auto

All the versions are now to version 3.0 and the theme has been completely re-written to be compliant to the new Android Auto wallpaper selection feature.

In case you missed the news, I strongly suggest to read this article.

Since there will be a graphical user interface to change the wallpaper on the car's screen (see more here) I made so that some wallpapers are now part of packs. So, per say, let's pick "Art Painting - Monet". Before, they were two different options but now:

1609923738770-png.5179105

As you can see, the two pictures form a pack and can be switched when Android Auto is running!

PAY ATTENTION!!!!

Most probably, you haven't recieved the new wallpaper feature. If you haven't received you have two alternatives:

1) Don't update Wallpapers For Android Auto to version 3.0

2) Use my app "AA AIO TWEAKER" (latest version that came out today) and force the activation of this feature. Root is required, can be downloaded from here: https://github.com/shmykelsa/AA-Tweaker/releases

WARNING: this feature is supported on Android Auto 5.8 or above. Be sure to check Android Auto version first before updating.

Full changelog here

Downlaod is hosted on GitHub

CLEAN INSTALL IS RECOMENDED
Since the theme has been basically re-written, if you have previously installed options of Wallpapers For Android it is best advised to uninstall them before applying new version.

If you really like my themes also consider a donation, even a small amount will be appreciated :)

I also accept Cryptos:

BTC Address: 39bdKem8taTZvm2WeyH8wwDhYKzZ2PzhGn
ETH Address: 0x3D9e6862590622245875B5b202b53E14E8052FA8
LTC address: MHff2pPF4YHafcFYEVG55yFbx3yGXDBh1T
XRP address: rw2ciyaNshpHe7bCHo4bRWq6pqqynnWKQg XRP TAG: 3707843365

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Heya!

New version of Wallpapers For AA is live on GitHub

This new version of Wallpapers For AA fixes compatibility with Android Auto 6.0. Please install it only if your version of Android Auto is 6.0.x

With Android Auto 6.0 the number of total slots for the packs went from 6, all the way up to 14! So now some more packs were added.

PAY ATTENTION!!!!

This version too is only compatible with the new implementation of Wallpapers inside Android Auto. Most probably, you haven't recieved the new wallpaper feature. If you haven't received you have two alternatives:

1) Don't update Wallpapers For Android Auto to version 3.0

2) Use my app "AA AIO TWEAKER" (latest version that came out today) and force the activation of this feature. Root is required, can be downloaded from here: https://github.com/shmykelsa/AA-Tweaker/releases

WARNING: this feature is supported on Android Auto 5.8 or above. Be sure to check Android Auto version first before updating.

Full changelog here

Downlaod is hosted on GitHub

CLEAN INSTALL IS RECOMENDED
Since the theme has been basically re-written, if you have previously installed options of Wallpapers For Android it is best advised to uninstall them before applying new version.

If you really like my themes also consider a donation, even a small amount will be appreciated :)

Fancy some cryptocurrencies? You can donate to me through:

BTC (BitCoin) address: 39bdKem8taTZvm2WeyH8wwDhYKzZ2PzhGn

ETH (Ethereum) address: 0x3D9e6862590622245875B5b202b53E14E8052FA8

LTC (LiteCoin) address: MHff2pPF4YHafcFYEVG55yFbx3yGXDBh1T

SNX address: 0xA25aFED131D856121b7a5821f215F7929D44f39d

MKR address: 0xfeb551F1Eb00e803dBa99637d29FdA2aB669C552

AAVE address: 0x2F7e7e731c9a9934b2Dc00104E1c47a7f0f61cDe

CGLD (Celo gold) address: 0xfF7784185Fc4807Bc560afb78918690Af1dcd929

BAND address: 0x2e445f1C65496E27BeBA9F726B708b771f722dC2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

JVocQBih.jpg

kSo4NSjh.jpg

Ever thought the new Android Auto background wallpaper is very ugly? You hate anything that is stock and commonly adopted? Ever asked why Android Auto developers won't let the user choose between different backgrounds and just put an horrendous wallpaper?

If yes is the answer to any of the questions above, you are in the right place!

Introducing my first Substratum Theme, and it's all about Android Auto!

Pre-Requisite:

In order to use Wallpapers For AA you'll need to have Substratum installed on your phone.

Don't know what the heck is substratum? Here's the official starting guide

Lost? Here are some video tutorials

English

Italian

Spanish

Here's a preview of the themes available:

f3HqIe4l.png

Batman

2nipYmll.png

Van Gogh

Lcu1bkIl.png

Google Now - Mountains by night

8CytGInl.png

Simple grey background

fGaqnGel.png

Windows 10 wallpaper

Gznj6b2l.png

Google Now - London By Night

wXBOlWSl.png

Windows XP

JMIW3Pil.png

Windows 10 - Stars

mqfrxz9m.jpg
    dgRxghEm.jpg

EzJicASm.jpg
    C3kqwpum.jpg

Vehicles manufacturers - Samples

All the other backgrounds preview are available on Flickr

21u6CMgh.jpg

IMPORTANT

Starting from Wallpapers For AA version 3.0, the theme will rely ONLY on the new implementation of Wallpapers bundled inside Android Auto. This will mean that Wallpapers For AA will stay on top of the new feature of Android Auto 5.8+ that will allow every user to swap wallpaper with some included ones.
    This feature is not active yet (as of 2020/01/25) and it needs further setup.
    Please, read the
    release notes to learn more.

Wallpapers For Android Auto is available in 3 different versions:

Wallpapers For Android Auto - Vehicles
    Includes all the wallpapers regarding vehicles (badges, logos, Vags patterns, etc.)
    Previews link

Wallpapers For Android Auto - Sport
    Includes all the wallpapers regarding Sport (NFL,NBA,Soccer,F1 etc.)
    Previews link

Wallpapers For Android Auto - General
    Everything that does not fall in the other categories
    Previews Link

All the downloads are hosted on GitHub

Wallpapers For AA + Extras For AA = ❤

Have you checked out my second substratum theme that completely changes Android Auto's look? What are you waiting for? Check out Extras For AA right now and start tweaking Android Auto even more!

Do you want to stay up to date with my themes, as well as receive previews? Be sure to join the update channel on Telegram!

Like my work? Consider a donation! Even a small amount will be appreciated :)

Donate to me via PayPal
    Or via cryptos

BTC: 39bdKem8taTZvm2WeyH8wwDhYKzZ2PzhGn
    ETH: 0x3D9e6862590622245875B5b202b53E14E8052FA8
    LTC: MHff2pPF4YHafcFYEVG55yFbx3yGXDBh1T
    XRP: rw2ciyaNshpHe7bCHo4bRWq6pqqynnWKQg XRP TAG: 3707843365
    BAND: 0x2e445f1C65496E27BeBA9F726B708b771f722dC2
    UMA: 0xF707F8143EAA1999cDde78C4AEd89316F62A3418
    GRT: 0x2e79AaeD933781d8BaAa03685ED32CEBC1D8f9f2
    COMP: 0x374aed091aB5FA72392Aaa87bD87B20c9356214b
    BCH: qq6hxekaagy9ng69tgapfvglsh3e6s47supy8qe4nd​
    Sorry for the previous question, I already saw in the video that the theme was Subaru.
    Thanks for the quick response.
    Thank you very much for your work.

Pd. I hope that you and all your relatives are well with regard to this pandemic (Coronavirus). Best of luck and we're sure to beat this virus. Thank you very much for your good work. A very strong hug from Spain.

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Indeed the situation is pretty severe. Fortunately I'm doing fine and so is everyone I know. It's a pretty delicate moment, for pretty much everyone in Europe, but I'm sure we'll be out of it soon. I wish the same for you. Good luck to y'all.
    Heya! Version 1.9 - NFL UPDATE!

NFL is ready for Android Auto!

Here's what changed:
    • The theme reached 245 backgrounds
    • Added 32 wallpapers with logos of all the NFL teams
    • Holden logo updated (both version)
    • Renault logo updated (grey version)
    • Honda logo updated (black version)
    • 13 new casual wallpaper and 1 new gradient added (requested by @Aphex13 @Krsmqn and @YoshiFan501 )
    • Welcome screen is now translated in Italian

Download link in the OP

And don't forget that all the themes previews are available on Google Photos
    Heya! Version 1.2 is live!

Changelog:
    • The themes now contains 80 wallpapers, hurray!
    • Added 5 new solid colours backgrounds
    • Added a solid black background
    • Added 3 new colour gradients backgrounds
    • Added 7 new wallpaper backgrounds

Download link in the OP