• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Is there anything else required to get this working? Stumbled upon this thread and would love to get this working. Have a T-Mobile Galaxy S10+ but not sure if you just have to download the app and go?

Hi there,

Substratum is required to get it working. Lucky for you Substratum on One UI devices is possible without root (if you don't wish to root your phone). Search for Synergy setup, then you will be ready to go to use this theme! (OP has a link to Substratum starting guide)

Uksus17

Sep 18, 2011
Minsk
Hi!
Is there any way to launch Substratum on Android 7 (Nuga)? Or it is absolutely impossible.

Uksus17

Sep 18, 2011
Minsk

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 383
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Reactions: shmykelsa

Aphex13

I can verify that it works on PIE and not Android 10. Got it themed on PIe. Substratum is the issue that causes no themes to be compiled. Substratum is not optimized as of yet.

Same phone, on Android 10 Stable. I couldn't get Substratum to work, but Substratum Lite works fine. I just don't the last 30 minutes or so trying to decide which wallpaper to use daily. Give it another go...

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

I can verify that it works on PIE and not Android 10. Got it themed on PIe. Substratum is the issue that causes no themes to be compiled. Substratum is not optimized as of yet.

So the problem I'm having now is,
In substratum, I can't change the wallpaper it's stuck on my first selection.
Uninstalled the app and nothing changes it's still in the selection for themes. Nothing I do is erasing it, it seems to be stuck there. I've cleared app data in substratum and it won't go away.
Edit:
Magisk modules seemed to be the problem. It held on to the cache and Data. After removing the module and simply only adding SU privileges it works fine.

You have to disable the selection before uninstalling it. Try reinstalling the stuck selection, enable it, disable it, and uninstall it. Worked for me. I was stuck with the collider background. lol

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Heya!

The app has made it to the XDA feed!!! https://www.xda-developers.com/android-auto-background-substratum-theme-wallpaper/

Quite a big achievement for a Substratum Theme that I've developed almost randomly. In fact, I was looking to a post in a Facebook group. A guy was asking "Can I change the new horrible Android Auto background?". Everyone in the comments was like "No way dude" but I was like "Hey wait a minute... What if..." And then I came out with this Substratum Theme, which is the a pretty sime way to go. Not the perfect solution, not so powerful, but functional.

Since the beginning, I've thought that the theme should be fully open to suggestion of new Backgrounds, because giving the user the choice is the best way, in my opinion, to make the user happy.

Sorry for being radio silent in the last few days but I've been out on a vacation, and I'll probably fully resume the development of the theme on Thursday as I'll have more spare time.

In the meantime the app is just a step away from reaching 2k downloads on the XDA labs, and so far the reviews (though some old reviews mysteriously disappeared :( ) are all 5 stars, which means you have to really like the theme and I really have to thank you! Be sure to leave a review so I know if there are any problems or something I can work on or improve!

I honestly did not expect to make it to the news feed of XDA, and I've noticed it from outta nowhere, and really thank you.

From now on I'm planning to have weekly updates. I'm not really sure I can keep up each and every week, since I basically develop the theme in my spare time, but I'm pretty confident I can.

So... Can you guess the subject of the next background for AA?

Gunde

Jul 12, 2007
Awesome. I have wanted to change that horrible random 3D background for a long time. Thanks!

Any chance you can also Substratum-away unwanted app icons? :D

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
The icons in the Android Auto app drawer. Any supported app shows up whether you use it in car or not.

Sure, I got it, but I don't know what app is unwanted to you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway most probably I can't do it with Substratum but I've got to check.

There's a chance that you can achieve it instead with a database manipulation (via SQLite) but again I've got to check and report back to you

krilok

Thank you for developing this... Works well and haven't had any issues so far.

Maybe it isn't possible at all, but what about substituting default icons on AA? Like custom icons packs or so... And fonts? On the previous style of AA, it picked up whatever font the phone was using, but since they upgraded to the new look, it seems they 'baked' a specific font into the app itself, with no way of changing it even if you're using a different one on the phone...

Anyhow, thanks again... ?

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Thank you for developing this... Works well and haven't had any issues so far.

Maybe it isn't possible at all, but what about substituting default icons on AA? Like custom icons packs or so... And fonts? On the previous style of AA, it picked up whatever font the phone was using, but since they upgraded to the new look, it seems they 'baked' a specific font into the app itself, with no way of changing it even if you're using a different one on the phone...

Anyhow, thanks again... ?

Sooo from what I've seen so far inside the Android Auto package there are not app icons inside. I'm pretty sure it gathers icons from the apps themselves. So in order to make them change in Android Auto I should make Substratum overlays for the apps too and change their icons, that means they will change in system too. Plus I'm not really good at designing vectors, so it will require some time to make an Icon Pack and maybe make some different styles of icon pack.

For what regards the font, I've got to check. I think it's feasible.

Nevertheless these are not high priority features at the time I'm speaking, since they are a bit off the scope of the Substratum theme, but I could consider them in a not-so-far future :)

Reactions: krilok

krilok

Sooo from what I've seen so far inside the Android Auto package there are not app icons inside. I'm pretty sure it gathers icons from the apps themselves. So in order to make them change in Android Auto I should make Substratum overlays for the apps too and change their icons, that means they will change in system too. Plus I'm not really good at designing vectors, so it will require some time to make an Icon Pack and maybe make some different styles of icon pack.

For what regards the font, I've got to check. I think it's feasible.

Nevertheless these are not high priority features at the time I'm speaking, since they are a bit off the scope of the Substratum theme, but I could consider them in a not-so-far future :)

Thank you for the quick reply...

Don't worry, I understand; if there are no icons within the AA package itself it would be a real pain for you to individually design and replace them, so forget I asked... :silly:

As for the font situation, it's a pity Google decided to force code this on AA (and several other of their apps). In the past, the custom font of your choice was displayed throughout the whole system and applied to the cars display, too, but if you now flash a different font, half of the text is displayed in the default Google font style and the other half with the one you flashed, which is really ugly and inconsistent... Anyhow, if you have the time and energy and manage to implement this in the future, that would be awesome...

Reactions: shmykelsa

Gunde

Jul 12, 2007
Sure, I got it, but I don't know what app is unwanted to you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway most probably I can't do it with Substratum but I've got to check.

There's a chance that you can achieve it instead with a database manipulation (via SQLite) but again I've got to check and report back to you
Don't worry about it. It was mostly a joke, because AA users have been annoyed with unwanted app icons since forever :)

I also tried on my second phone which is a Note 9. Like the poster above, it doesn't seem to work on One UI with Substratum Lite and Synergy. No error message, just no new background.

Last edited:

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Don't worry about it. It was mostly a joke, because AA users have been annoyed with unwanted app icons since forever :)

I also tried on my second phone which is a Note 9. Like the poster above, it doesn't seem to work on One UI with Substratum Lite and Synergy. No error message, just no new background.

Mh... I'll have to look into it. I don't really know why it's not working on Synergy and I will have to test on a Samsung, which I don't have.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

JVocQBih.jpg

kSo4NSjh.jpg

Ever thought the new Android Auto background wallpaper is very ugly? You hate anything that is stock and commonly adopted? Ever asked why Android Auto developers won't let the user choose between different backgrounds and just put an horrendous wallpaper?

If yes is the answer to any of the questions above, you are in the right place!

Introducing my first Substratum Theme, and it's all about Android Auto!

Pre-Requisite:

In order to use Wallpapers For AA you'll need to have Substratum installed on your phone.

Don't know what the heck is substratum? Here's the official starting guide

Lost? Here are some video tutorials

English

Italian

Spanish

Here's a preview of the themes available:

f3HqIe4l.png

Batman

2nipYmll.png

Van Gogh

Lcu1bkIl.png

Google Now - Mountains by night

8CytGInl.png

Simple grey background

fGaqnGel.png

mqfrxz9m.jpg
    dgRxghEm.jpg

EzJicASm.jpg
    C3kqwpum.jpg

Wallpapers For AA - Vehicles samples

All the other backgrounds preview are available on Flickr

21u6CMgh.jpg

IMPORTANT

Starting from Wallpapers For AA version 3.0, the theme will rely ONLY on the new implementation of Wallpapers bundled inside Android Auto. This will mean that Wallpapers For AA will stay on top of the new feature of Android Auto 5.8+ that will allow every user to swap wallpaper with some included ones.
    This feature is not active yet (as of 2020/01/25) and it needs further setup.
    Please, read the
    release notes to learn more.

Wallpapers For Android Auto is available in 3 different versions:

Wallpapers For Android Auto - Vehicles
    Includes all the wallpapers regarding vehicles (badges, logos, etc.)
    Previews link

Wallpapers For Android Auto - Sport
    Includes all the wallpapers regarding Sport (NFL,NBA,Soccer,F1 etc.)
    Previews link

Wallpapers For Android Auto - General
    Everything that does not fall in the other categories
    Previews Link

All the downloads are hosted on GitHub

Wallpapers For AA + Extras For AA = ❤

Have you checked out my second substratum theme that completely changes Android Auto's look? What are you waiting for? Check out Extras For AA right now and start tweaking Android Auto even more!

Do you want to stay up to date with my themes, as well as receive previews? Be sure to join the update channel on Telegram!

Like my work? Consider a donation! Even a small amount will be appreciated :)

Donate to me via PayPal
    Or via cryptos

BTC: 39bdKem8taTZvm2WeyH8wwDhYKzZ2PzhGn
    ETH: 0x3D9e6862590622245875B5b202b53E14E8052FA8
    LTC: MHff2pPF4YHafcFYEVG55yFbx3yGXDBh1T
    XRP: rw2ciyaNshpHe7bCHo4bRWq6pqqynnWKQg XRP TAG: 3707843365
    BAND: 0x2e445f1C65496E27BeBA9F726B708b771f722dC2
    UMA: 0xF707F8143EAA1999cDde78C4AEd89316F62A3418
    GRT: 0x2e79AaeD933781d8BaAa03685ED32CEBC1D8f9f2
    COMP: 0x374aed091aB5FA72392Aaa87bD87B20c9356214b
    BCH: qq6hxekaagy9ng69tgapfvglsh3e6s47supy8qe4nd
    Heya! Version 1.12 - Pixel Wallpapers update is live!

Thanks to @R1zzy_ for the awesome recreations of Pixel Wallpapers. Now on Android Auto!

Here's what changed:
    • The theme reached 303 backgrounds
    • Added 11 wallpapers from Google Pixel
    • Added Hulk Wallpaper (as suggested by @bradhoschar )
    • Added 2 casual wallpapers (thanks @alderon666 )
    • Revamped the welcome dialog

Download link in the OP

And don't forget that all the themes previews are available on Google Photos
    Heya!

The app has made it to the XDA feed!!! https://www.xda-developers.com/android-auto-background-substratum-theme-wallpaper/

Quite a big achievement for a Substratum Theme that I've developed almost randomly. In fact, I was looking to a post in a Facebook group. A guy was asking "Can I change the new horrible Android Auto background?". Everyone in the comments was like "No way dude" but I was like "Hey wait a minute... What if..." And then I came out with this Substratum Theme, which is the a pretty sime way to go. Not the perfect solution, not so powerful, but functional.

Since the beginning, I've thought that the theme should be fully open to suggestion of new Backgrounds, because giving the user the choice is the best way, in my opinion, to make the user happy.

Sorry for being radio silent in the last few days but I've been out on a vacation, and I'll probably fully resume the development of the theme on Thursday as I'll have more spare time.

In the meantime the app is just a step away from reaching 2k downloads on the XDA labs, and so far the reviews (though some old reviews mysteriously disappeared :( ) are all 5 stars, which means you have to really like the theme and I really have to thank you! Be sure to leave a review so I know if there are any problems or something I can work on or improve!

I honestly did not expect to make it to the news feed of XDA, and I've noticed it from outta nowhere, and really thank you.

From now on I'm planning to have weekly updates. I'm not really sure I can keep up each and every week, since I basically develop the theme in my spare time, but I'm pretty confident I can.

So... Can you guess the subject of the next background for AA?
    Heya! Version 1.13 - is live!

Here's what changed:
    • The theme reached 320 backgrounds
    • Cadillac background is a little less shiny
    • Added 16 casual wallpapers. Mostly synthwave/retrowave wallpapers and wallpapers from MKBHD's collection.

Download link in the OP

And don't forget that all the themes previews are available on Google Photos
    Not everything turns out as it should

Version 1.8.1 is live

Apologies for two updates in a short time.

When I was uploading photos to the Google Photos gallery, I figured out that some logos were not looking so good (my bad I didn't have a second look into them). So, in order to assure the best quality, these logos have been updated:

• Renault (black version)
    • Vauxhall (black version)
    • Acura (black version)
    • Genesis (black version)
    • Abarth (black version)
    • KIA (both versions)
    • SKODA (black version)
    • KARMA (black version)
    • Fiat (black version)
    • Opel (black version)
    • Chevrolet (black version)
    • Tata Motors now have the proper logo (both versions)

Download link, as always, in the OP

Wallpapers will be shortly updated on Google Photos