Theory: HTC Magic 32A and 32B boards

Search This thread

dazcox5181

Feb 3, 2009
london
Really? This is still being discussed? Wheres the precedent for this? I may have missed it but what previous device have HTC, or anyone, shipped where they've 'left in' extra RAM but disabled it? I don't mean underclocking processors, or graphics chips - thats commonly done for battery life (see PSP 1000) but actually leaving inactive RAM chips onboard.

Good luck with this, sorry for the poor soul who rips open their phone to see something that isn't there.

pippocannelunghe

Jul 4, 2009
Roma
Really? This is still being discussed? Wheres the precedent for this? I may have missed it but what previous device have HTC, or anyone, shipped where they've 'left in' extra RAM but disabled it? I don't mean underclocking processors, or graphics chips - thats commonly done for battery life (see PSP 1000) but actually leaving inactive RAM chips onboard.

Good luck with this, sorry for the poor soul who rips open their phone to see something that isn't there.

You should read better the previous posts.. as for a CPU, it could be for this phone.
We don't know the real reason, it could be for business, or it could be just to save battery (please note that only Vodafone has this particular limitation).
So, at this point the question is: why other carrier choose the different one?
And here the answers could be more...
The only way to know the truth is that someone who understand something about this opens his phone and take a look inside.
So you cannot be so sure that we are looking for something that is not there...

Cheers

dazcox5181

Feb 3, 2009
london
You should read better the previous posts.. as for a CPU, it could be for this phone.
We don't know the real reason, it could be for business, or it could be just to save battery (please note that only Vodafone has this particular limitation).
So, at this point the question is: why other carrier choose the different one?
And here the answers could be more...
The only way to know the truth is that someone who understand something about this opens his phone and take a look inside.
So you cannot be so sure that we are looking for something that is not there...

Cheers

I read the whole thread. Only cpus mentioned.
The magic is underclocked, easily fixed back to 528.
As I said, Where is the Precedent for extra MEMORY in a device.

Oh, and it's not just Vodafone - check the Google ION same Ram limit, I think theres more too. maybe You should read the forums first

pippocannelunghe

Jul 4, 2009
Roma
I read the whole thread. Only cpus mentioned.
The magic is underclocked, easily fixed back to 528.
As I said, Where is the Precedent for extra MEMORY in a device.

Oh, and it's not just Vodafone - check the Google ION same Ram limit, I think theres more too. maybe You should read the forums first

Touché :)
But try to understand us, it is a dream... why we must have a phone with less Ram than other?
Honestly, I hope you are wrong :p

dazcox5181

Feb 3, 2009
london
Hey, I have a Voda Magic too, but it really doesn't seem likely - I hope I'm wrong :)

But then again, I wish my car was faster, my house bigger and my bank account had a few more zeros on the end - don't always get what you want...:)

dferreira

Jan 26, 2007
Oulu
www.denzilferreira.com

Hum... actually I do remember on my HTC Wizard that we have about 12MB of memory that is hidden from us, the Extended_ROM! Back in the day, I used it to store all the customized .cab's I needed to fix and tweak my ROM's!

And, if you did your homework, on HTC Diamond, if you change the memory range when flashing a ROM, you could use that same space as more memory available for the device.

All I want to know is if there is really 288MB on the device. Finding out the range to use the space later, would require me to analyze 32A and 32B oficial ROM's and tweak the 32B ones to use all the available space (been there, done that on HTC Wizard ROM's).

bpmorris

Oct 16, 2008
I have been keeping one eye on this thread hoping someone has been game enough to take up the challenge....

rumon

Jul 29, 2008
London
I was hoping the 32b deactivated RAM was true but i really doubt that. The 32a/32b use different chips MSM7201a 65nm and MSM7200A 90nm . If they changed the CPU they would not waste money sticking inactive RAM chips on the 32b board.

well its always good to get it confirmed i guess......thats me still with a bit of wishful thinking :D

bastage

Nov 25, 2008
I was hoping the 32b deactivated RAM was true but i really doubt that. The 32a/32b use different chips MSM7201a 65nm and MSM7200A 90nm . If they changed the CPU they would not waste money sticking inactive RAM chips on the 32b board.

well its always good to get it confirmed i guess......thats me still with a bit of wishful thinking :D

aren't the chips identical with different names due to a copyright issue or something like that?

rumon

Jul 29, 2008
London
Specification wise the are identical, but they are physically different as they use different CMOS process technology 65nm and 90nm (nanometer) the size of the Chips core are different. So the power consumption/heat are different also.

my-demise

Jun 17, 2009
Hobart
Hehe, I actually thought about this back when I first realized that my phone came with less RAM than other HTC Magic phones. I even looked over that manual to see if I could find something of use; in the end I gave up due to having limited time and limited knowledge on the subject. I wish you all the best with this and hope you are able to answer a question I've had for a long time.

Cheers

Last edited:

looktall

Jul 28, 2009
what's this about a re-flash upgrade utility mentioned in the pdf?
it seems like a quick way to flash. has anyone seen it around?

what about the rom that is linked in the pdf. is anyone able to download it? or does anyone know what it is? is it just a vanilla htc rom?

my-demise

Jun 17, 2009
Hobart
So it's been over a week now, any luck with hacking this sucker?

I am very very interested to see what you manage to dig up!

Andoididdy

Aug 4, 2009
I can't imagine they would deactivate ram on a phone, its probably a new cpu with a new board with less ram.
However the cpu in the B boards is a newer design on 60nm instead of the older cpu on 90nm.
In regular cpu terms this usually means, they have better batterylife, less heatproduction and higher clockrates and generally a better instructionset.
Is it possible to overclock the cpu higher than 528 mhz? i bet the Qualcomm MSM7201a can get much higher clockrates than the old 2006 design.