Things you don't know about your HTC one

Search This thread

mettleh3d

Oct 16, 2011
The paired bluetooth as a remote camera shutter sounds awesome. will need to try that out.

Here's something I use with Tasker:
I have Auto-Rotation off, I generally like reading in bed, on my side. This Tasker profile sets rotation on only when you open gallery (to show off photos to yourself or friends) and will return to normal when you exit gallery. 'viewvideos.apk' however doesn't rotate and Im still trying to figure this one out.

Profile: Application > Gallery.
Task: Set Rotation: On
Done

During the initial H1 reviews, a lot of people were having heartaches about the inverse way Gallery items had to be selected to be shared or deleted. It took me all of 17 seconds to get used to this coming from CM10.1 on a previous device. It's not bad or good, just not an issue.

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
It's aluminum; a very malleable material that Is easily scratched. Case closed and back on topic please.

Sent from my HTC One

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Sony devices are, this phone isn't. Stop making jokes

Sent from my HTC One

who are u to tell everyone what to do or what not to do on this forums?

aridtare

May 17, 2012
Now I know. Having used CM10.1 almost exclusively for the last year and change, I sort of forgot that it wasn't exactly the same as AOSP.

To add to this thread: I bet a lot of people don't know that USB Audio out is built in and switches on-demand. I can finally use my phone with my Fiio E7!

sassafras

holy jeebus, really? I was dreading over not being able to find my 3.5-3.5 mm jack cable. Did you just use a USB to micro USB adaptor?

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Last edited:

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
When booting into hboot it isn't necessary to hold both power and volume down

just power the device on and immediately hold the volume down and keep it held down until your in hboot

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

QFT! I recently discovered this, and it made things much easier!

Reactions: bljy

manmikey

Mar 11, 2007
Re bluetooth remote camera shutter release (can't seen to quote)

That is awsome, just tried it and its great! How the hell did you discover that one?
:sly:

sluflyer06

Nov 21, 2011
Saint Louis
Now I know. Having used CM10.1 almost exclusively for the last year and change, I sort of forgot that it wasn't exactly the same as AOSP.

To add to this thread: I bet a lot of people don't know that USB Audio out is built in and switches on-demand. I can finally use my phone with my Fiio E7!

sassafras

I started a thread about the usb audio awhile back and it got no love, I thought people would be thrilled. It was quite the disappointment on the G.Nexus forum that it was never implemented.

sassafras_

Aug 18, 2010
holy jeebus, really? I was dreading over not being able to find my 3.5-3.5 mm jack cable. Did you just use a USB to micro USB adaptor?

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Yeah, you need a USB OTG cable (which has pins 2-3 wired together with some resistor in line), otherwise the system doesn't realize it is supposed to be the USB Host.

Just buy a short USB OTG interconnect from amazon. I have a 6" female USB to male micro-USB cable that works great. Just make sure it says it is OTG compatible.

I started a thread about the usb audio awhile back and it got no love, I thought people would be thrilled. It was quite the disappointment on the G.Nexus forum that it was never implemented.

I saw that thread and immediately jumped on trying it out. I know it's sort of a niche need, but god damn has it made my life easier. I can now use my DT880s on the go!

sassafras

Fatos

Nov 5, 2011
Htc One sales

I have a Friend that work for a big phone Shop and he told me that they are selling double more Htc than S4 . Impressive. I like to see competition. How it will continue like this and hope this is happening everywhere.

nugzo

Apr 20, 2010
Fayetteville, NC.
www.capefearcomputer.com
It's aluminum; a very malleable material that Is easily scratched. Case closed and back on topic please.

Sent from my HTC One

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Sony devices are, this phone isn't. Stop making jokes

Sent from my HTC One

Wow :confused:

who are u to tell everyone what to do or what not to do on this forums?

This! Relax. There's a report button for a reason. If you were truly worried about the thread content being Pure, you would know that comments like yours will bring many more OT posts to the thread and cause more harm than the posts that offended you. :confused: This post makes 3 including yours that are also off topic. :confused: How did that help anything? your reply will make it 4, 100% more off topic posts than the 2 you had issue with. /sigh
Its best to just hit the report button. :good:

Last edited:

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
Wow :confused:

This! Relax. There's a report button for a reason. If you were truly worried about the thread content being Pure, you would know that comments like yours will bring many more OT posts to the thread and cause more harm than the posts that offended you. :confused: This post makes 3 including yours that are also off topic. :confused: How did that help anything? your reply will make it 4, 100% more off topic posts than the 2 you had issue with. /sigh
Its best to just hit the report button. :good:

I'm not sure why I went off the deep end and wrote that last night. I'd delete it if I could.

Sent from my HTC One

nugzo

Apr 20, 2010
Fayetteville, NC.
www.capefearcomputer.com
I'm not sure why I went off the deep end and wrote that last night. I'd delete it if I could.

Sent from my HTC One

i forgive you ;)

I should contribute to the thread though. This is not really a feature, but more of a fix for a feature that is missing in 4.2. The stay awake feature is gone. Very useful when docked in the car. There is an app in the playstore that does the same thing.

Last edited:

chc31

Feb 14, 2012
Tapping on the statusbar while in the app drawer or blinkfeed brings you straight up.

You don't to pull up the lock or the time on the lock screen - swipe up anywhere

You can calibrate your keyboard in input settings

You can add individual tracks to your playlist more easily than before via menu> + (add).

You can increase the volume on ur tv via the volume rocker on your phone instead of the on screen buttons.

You can tick off limit of 20 photos in burst mode in camera settings

m0nz

May 5, 2013
Nobody took my cooling solution seriously.... :(

Granted its partially a joke but I actually do this so its not totally a joke. It gets so cold using an ice pack!

Reactions: MotionlessWhiteRose

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just thought I would start a thread that could be useful about things you didn't know about your HTC one
    I only found out tonight that if you swipe down your notification bar with 2 fingers it takes you straight to the shortcut tabs
    That made me realise there are probably loads of features and gestures I don't know about?

Here is a list compiled from the thread...

1 : Swipe down with 2 fingers on notification bar takes you straight to shortcuts (Android 4.2 version only)

2 : If you scroll with 2 fingers in contacts, gallery, music, and many other apps, it scrolls much faster (using it in the contacts list goes through the alphabet, using it in the text converstaion list goes through dates of conversations)

3 : You can pinch zoom text-messages

4 : Double tap your Bluetooth button with camera active to remotely take a snap

5 : In camera, from the top swipe down and it'll switch from back to front camera and viceversa

6 : Tapping on the statusbar while in the app drawer or blinkfeed, music, people, and message app brings you straight up

7 : You don't have to pull up the lock or the time on the lock screen - swipe up anywhere to unlock your phone. Same goes for answering a call

8 : You can increase the volume on your tv via the volume rocker on your phone instead of the on screen buttons

9 : Quickly double tapping the home button brings up the recent apps list

10 : Three finger swipe from left to right on the homescreen brings you to share files menu

11 : You can adjust the brightness of the torch/flashlight with the volume rocker

12 : Hold down the power button and tap the home key to take a screenshot

13 : Holding the back button in the browser brings you to history

14 : In the photo gallery's edit>effects screen (under the magic wand icon), you can customise every preset by tapping and holding its thumbnail and dragging it to the "customise" bar that appears on the right. You can even start applying custom effects from scratch by doing this with the "no effects" thumbnail. You can then save the created preset
    Also on that screen, pressing the 'A' button provides options go change the white balance of the picture (as you would normally pre-select in the camera app). A = 'as shot' but you can change it to cloudy, fluorescent, etc and also a couple of options the camera app doesn't have - shady and tungsten.

15 : If you have the camera app open and turn off the phone, the lockscreen will be inactive, meaning when you press the power button again you go straight back to the camera app, no need to unlock

16 : Select "Show Magnifier" in the Accessibility menu and you get a magnifying lens that pops up when you are editing text

17 : Long press home for google now (depending on setup sometimes home and up also takes you to google now)

18 : In Google play if you are listening to a song and have the album artwork up (the screen where you have your pause/play, next/previous track)

You can swipe right to left to skip the track it left to right to go to the previous track. There's a cool sliding in/out animation too.
    The coolest feature though, is that you don't have to press back to get back to your library or playlist. You can swipe down from the songbtitle and your library of songs is waiting behind it.

19 : In the Stock Browser go to Menu>Settings>Labs to switch on "Quick Controls". Slide thumb from left or right edge to open quick controls and hide app and URL bars.

Also swipe across the keyboard to easily switch to the numbers and symbols pages!

20 : You can access HTC's hidden Self diagnostic tool by following steps:
    Go to dialer,
    Dial *#*#3424#*#*
    You will enter HTC's self diagnostic tool
    You can check if all the parts and sensors on your device is working.

21 : If you're watching tv and have the tv remote enabled and you're getting a call it automatically mutes the tv.

22 : There's a visualizer and karaoke player embedded in the HTC music app. Just click the musical note icon when playing a popular song that's on Gracenote. The app will automatically download lyrics and sync them to the song.
    By default, this only works on Wi-Fi. This can be changed in Music settings.

23 : You can also set a different wallpaper for the lockscreen than for the homescreen by going to settings -> personalize -> lockscreen and then settings for the wallpaper lockscreen.

24 : Rotating your calculator to landscape provides scientific functions like sin cos and tan.

25 : if you leave the TV app open to your remote and you lock your phone...it unlocks right back Into the TV remote. I've also noticed it just turning itself on when I pick it up!

26 : There's a cool trick in the camera app.

If you touch to focus, and hold your finger there for about a second, it will activate Focus and Exposure lock, until you tap on another spot, which will turn it off again. It's a handy feature, especially when you want to recompose. (android 4.2 version only)
    In the photo gallery's edit>effects screen (under the magic wand icon), you can customise every preset by tapping and holding its thumbnail and dragging it to the "customise" bar that appears. You can even start applying custom effects from scratch by doing this with the "no effects" thumbnail.

All the usual basic stuff is there, like brightness/contrast, saturation etc.
    In the HTC keyboard settings, you can enable Swype ;) and in advanced you can even set the swype colour.

Another one, if you scroll with 2 fingers in gallery, music, and many other apps, it scrolls much faster

Pretty known one.. In the browser menu, you can enable flash player

There are lots of fun features with zoe's after you've made them (comparable to GS4) like sequence shot, removing objects, and waaay more

sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 (VIP)
    Here, a compiled list of (almost) all tips, the OP should probably edit the OP and include it. No need to thank me for this, I am not a thanks hunter...

1. If you scroll with 2 fingers in contacts, gallery, music, and many other apps, it scrolls much faster (using it in the contacts list goes through the alphabet, using it in the text converstaion list goes through dates of conversations)
    2. You can pinch zoom text-messages
    3. Double tap your Bluetooth button with camera active to remotely take a snap
    4. In camera, from the top swipe down and it'll switch from back to front camera and viceversa
    5. Tapping on the statusbar while in the app drawer or blinkfeed, music, people, and message app brings you straight up
    6. You don't have to pull up the lock or the time on the lock screen - swipe up anywhere to unlock your phone. Same goes for answering a call
    7. You can increase the volume on your tv via the volume rocker on your phone instead of the on screen buttons
    8. Quickly double tapping the home button brings up the recent apps list
    9. Three finger swipe from left to right on the homescreen brings you to share files menu
    10. You can adjust the brightness of the torch/flashlight with the volume rocker
    11. Hold down the power button and tap the home key to take a screenshot
    12. Holding the back button in the browser brings you to history
    13. In the photo gallery's edit>effects screen (under the magic wand icon), you can customise every preset by tapping and holding its thumbnail and dragging it to the "customise" bar that appears on the right. You can even start applying custom effects from scratch by doing this with the "no effects" thumbnail. You can then save the created preset
    14. If you have the camera app open and turn off the phone, the lockscreen will be inactive, meaning when you press the power button again you go straight back to the camera app, no need to unlock
    15. Select "Show Magnifier" in the Accessibility menu and you get a magnifying lens that pops up when you are editing text
    Also, turn off HTC-gestures if you want more than 3-point touch capability.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone